Returned After a Long Hiatus...and I Definitely Need a Few Tips!

tips; help; returning player;

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

JayJay4466 #1 Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20201 battles

Hi All

Hope I'm posting this in the right section- apologies if not!

So I played WoT a lot back in the day- from late 2011 to late 2014. It took a long time but eventually I learned the maps, the vehicles that suited my play-style and- most importantly- my own limitations! Slowly but surely I became a decent if inconsistent player; sometimes brilliant, sometimes awful, but mostly somewhere in-between. After over 18k battles, my interest had waned and I drifted away to other distractions.

Well the last few days I've been playing again, or at least trying to! Right now I'm feeling my way at Tiers 1 & 2 and the game is so different to the one I remember. It was really overwhelming at first but I am getting to grips now with those first 3 maps. 

Things I've struggled with the most: the myriad of changes to these maps that I used to know so well, the physics system (yes, I played almost all of my games pre-physics), shell velocity differences and spotting changes. I've played a couple of battles on new maps at Tier 3 and it was terrifying! Had no idea what I was doing!

So, are there some players reading this who have maybe played WoT for a long time who can offer some tips, or some warnings about other changes to look out for, or have had a similar experience.

To be clear, I can see that its a much better game now, but so much more complex!

TLDR: experienced player who stopped playing before version 1.0 and has returned to find a bewildering number of changes. Can you offer any pointers? 

Thanks in advance!

JayJay4466

thetartanbaron #2 Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5093 battles

Tier 2 and 3 may be more difficult for a new player right now as they appear to be full of experienced players like me  doing Tank Rewards missions with fully equipped vehicles and 100% crews spamming gold like MFs

Have a look at wotreplays.eu of battles on Mines, Abbey and Province or some YouTubers doing the same. Doesnt have to be same tier. That will give you a better idea of the regular maps

Wargaming have tutorial videos on spotting mechanics etc

Orkbert #3 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29011 battles
Since you played only up to tierIII recently you probably haven't noticed that SPGs were reworked. Their penetration was generally reduced and beginning around tierVI or so their alpha damage got reduced, not really noticeable around mid-tiers but somewhat drastic at higher ones (although the reduction in alpha came with a somewhat faster reload), but the two most important changes were the stun mechanic (your tank's performance will drop for a while when exposed to stunning arty fire although a medkit can end the stun effects immediately) and the SPGs that can stun have gotten a significant splash area increase so many positions previously arty-safe aren't quite so anymore (they might not do all that much damage but any tank that has only a few dozen HPs left can easily get wrecked by a splash from several meters away.

JayJay4466 #4 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20201 battles

View Postthetartanbaron, on 15 January 2020 - 06:43 PM, said:

Tier 2 and 3 may be more difficult for a new player right now as they appear to be full of experienced players like me  doing Tank Rewards missions with fully equipped vehicles and 100% crews spamming gold like MFs

Have a look at wotreplays.eu of battles on Mines, Abbey and Province or some YouTubers doing the same. Doesnt have to be same tier. That will give you a better idea of the regular maps

Wargaming have tutorial videos on spotting mechanics etc

Thanks thetartanbaron, that's helpful; especially the wotreplays.eu site- I do watch lots of Youtube replays but I didn't know there was a dedicated site for replays now. Back in the day you posted replays to a section on these forums if I remember right.

I had noticed that I was being hit with APCR fairly regularly, not excessively so though- quite often its from vehicles that would have penned with regular AP anyway!

06:59 Added after 6 minute

View PostOrkbert, on 15 January 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

Since you played only up to tierIII recently you probably haven't noticed that SPGs were reworked. Their penetration was generally reduced and beginning around tierVI or so their alpha damage got reduced, not really noticeable around mid-tiers but somewhat drastic at higher ones (although the reduction in alpha came with a somewhat faster reload), but the two most important changes were the stun mechanic (your tank's performance will drop for a while when exposed to stunning arty fire although a medkit can end the stun effects immediately) and the SPGs that can stun have gotten a significant splash area increase so many positions previously arty-safe aren't quite so anymore (they might not do all that much damage but any tank that has only a few dozen HPs left can easily get wrecked by a splash from several meters away.

You're right Orkbert- hasn't affected me too much yet but I was vaguely aware of the rework. Back in the day, arty was always controversial, and I remember particularly that there were issues at higher tiers with the numbers of arty per battle, and the alpha damage. 

How is arty generally these days? Do people find it better now, or is it still an issue for some players? I've also noticed talk about more changes currently on the test server- anyone know what those are about?

Suurpolskija #5 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:13 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24497 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostJayJay4466, on 16 January 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

How is arty generally these days? Do people find it better now, or is it still an issue for some players? I've also noticed talk about more changes currently on the test server- anyone know what those are about?

I don't play it as much as I used to back when I started, but from the games I've played, I think it's gone to a better direction. You really do get the sense of supporting your team, if you can time your stuns and spread them to apply to multiple players. 

The dmg is a lot smaller but you hit more often. The penetrations still happen once in a blue moon, but in the high tiers it's pretty much as likely as "a full hp ammorack" that was discussed here the other day. All in all, try it out. The US spg's are best for missions, USSR Obj261 arguably best for clan games. What ever floats your boat. 

JayJay4466 #6 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:27 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20201 battles

View PostSuurpolskija, on 16 January 2020 - 08:13 AM, said:

I don't play it as much as I used to back when I started, but from the games I've played, I think it's gone to a better direction. You really do get the sense of supporting your team, if you can time your stuns and spread them to apply to multiple players. 

The dmg is a lot smaller but you hit more often. The penetrations still happen once in a blue moon, but in the high tiers it's pretty much as likely as "a full hp ammorack" that was discussed here the other day. All in all, try it out. The US spg's are best for missions, USSR Obj261 arguably best for clan games. What ever floats your boat. 

I've actually never played arty at all, not even one single battle! As a tanker, I hated arty (obviously), but.... I did always support its presence in the game. I thought in principle it was a good idea if they could balance it right. Those games that were overloaded with arty (5 per side) were no fun at all, but my view was that those massive direct hits in open ground were normally your own fault for sitting there in the first place!

Sounds like they've put a lot of work in trying to get arty right. Maybe I should try one out this time around. What put me off was the fact that players always moaned at arty, and I'm a bit over-sensitive to criticism!

kaneloon #7 Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31718 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

As for every role, if you play your part with arty (ks only tanks that your team can't hit, help an isolated team member, not aiming the same place when you are 2 or 3 arties, moving with the team, not hammering the poor same victim 10 times) everything is fine. You participate more imho than some hidden tds.

JayJay4466 #8 Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:12 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20201 battles

View Postkaneloon, on 16 January 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

As for every role, if you play your part with arty (ks only tanks that your team can't hit, help an isolated team member, not aiming the same place when you are 2 or 3 arties, moving with the team, not hammering the poor same victim 10 times) everything is fine. You participate more imho than some hidden tds.

Is the SU-5 still a good beginner's arty or would you recommend something else? There must be lots more options now?

Suurpolskija #9 Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24497 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

View PostJayJay4466, on 16 January 2020 - 10:12 AM, said:

Is the SU-5 still a good beginner's arty or would you recommend something else? There must be lots more options now?

I strongly suggest going for the US line. From tier5 and up it's a very good line, with maybe only the tier7 (M12) being kinda "meh", but even that is ok. M44, M40/43 and M53/55 are all (imo) best arties for their tier. Or even best arties tier for tier in random battles. You might wanna keep them for personal missions, if you decide to progress them. 

The UK line is ok, especially tier X. German line is actually very good up to tier7 (G.W. Panther is great for some missions) and after that a bit meh, because of the lack of mobility and very narrow gun traverse. Soviet line I only have tier7 and have played some low tiers on my friends account and they suffered from the same problem as German SPGs. French have suffered the most from the splash nerfs and after mid tiers I hear they're not very competitive. 

JayJay4466 #10 Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20201 battles

View PostSuurpolskija, on 16 January 2020 - 09:26 AM, said:

I strongly suggest going for the US line. From tier5 and up it's a very good line, with maybe only the tier7 (M12) being kinda "meh", but even that is ok. M44, M40/43 and M53/55 are all (imo) best arties for their tier. Or even best arties tier for tier in random battles. You might wanna keep them for personal missions, if you decide to progress them. 

The UK line is ok, especially tier X. German line is actually very good up to tier7 (G.W. Panther is great for some missions) and after that a bit meh, because of the lack of mobility and very narrow gun traverse. Soviet line I only have tier7 and have played some low tiers on my friends account and they suffered from the same problem as German SPGs. French have suffered the most from the splash nerfs and after mid tiers I hear they're not very competitive. 

The US line sounds like the one to go for then; I think I heard somewhere that they're pretty quick too if you need to relocate sharpish?

The missions were the main reason why I thought I'd have to try them out- quite fancy the Stug as the Stug III was a lot of fun to play if you like to play TD's aggressively (which I do).  Incidentally, on paper, the missions look like a great addition to the game.

nakkipeppu #11 Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34258 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

Get some classic tanks in tier 5 :

M4, T-34, KV-1, BDR, StuG III

Those haven't really changed since you left, are still great for their tier and gameplay at tier 4-7 is more akin to the classic WoT you knew. Get the feel to changed maps and changes, and then figure out what you want to do.

BR33K1_PAWAH #12 Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 8158 battles

To learn maps faster you can do this - go to wotreplays, pick a tank that represents a role you want to learn about and pick a map you want to learn, Then search for replays with best results. 

Just watch a couple of them and you probably already will learn a couple of interesting spots and routes from them.

For example, i want to know how a middle tier(5-7) medium tank can be played effectively on Murovanka - i'll choose t-34 or VK30.01p as a tank and choose Murovanka - click search and sort results by either damage or exp.

Hope this helps, gl hf.

Orkbert #13 Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29011 battles

View PostJayJay4466, on 16 January 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

The US line sounds like the one to go for then; I think I heard somewhere that they're pretty quick too if you need to relocate sharpish?

The missions were the main reason why I thought I'd have to try them out- quite fancy the Stug as the Stug III was a lot of fun to play if you like to play TD's aggressively (which I do).  Incidentally, on paper, the missions look like a great addition to the game.

Also in the American tech tree there is a route via the Chaffee to the mid-tier SPGs, which has the advantage of avoiding the low-tier SPGs (can be a hassle for players with zero arty experience) and start right off with an arty that has the Stun mechanics and reliably enough manages to inflict them on enemies.

But bear in mind that M41 and M44 are pretty quick for artilleries.

They are fine for relocating, following the team and such (sometimes you might even be close enough to help capture the enemy flag if the course of a match warrants that)

However, you will not be able to outrun anything but the slowest vehicles (Matilda, AT2, TOG and such), so even with their decent agility they will rarely be able to wriggle out of a pinch.

JayJay4466 #14 Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20201 battles

View Postnakkipeppu, on 16 January 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Get some classic tanks in tier 5 :

M4, T-34, KV-1, BDR, StuG III

Those haven't really changed since you left, are still great for their tier and gameplay at tier 4-7 is more akin to the classic WoT you knew. Get the feel to changed maps and changes, and then figure out what you want to do.

I still have the KV-1 and Stug III in my garage from before so that's a start! I haven't any free garage slots at the minute, but I'll probably buy some at some point so I've made a note of the others you suggested. Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to offer your advice- its appreciated.

09:34 Added after 1 minute

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 18 January 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

To learn maps faster you can do this - go to wotreplays, pick a tank that represents a role you want to learn about and pick a map you want to learn, Then search for replays with best results. 

Just watch a couple of them and you probably already will learn a couple of interesting spots and routes from them.

For example, i want to know how a middle tier(5-7) medium tank can be played effectively on Murovanka - i'll choose t-34 or VK30.01p as a tank and choose Murovanka - click search and sort results by either damage or exp.

Hope this helps, gl hf.

That's exactly what I've started doing- its much easier to find good high tier replays but the principle is the same as you rightly say. Thanks!

09:36 Added after 4 minute

View PostOrkbert, on 18 January 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Also in the American tech tree there is a route via the Chaffee to the mid-tier SPGs, which has the advantage of avoiding the low-tier SPGs (can be a hassle for players with zero arty experience) and start right off with an arty that has the Stun mechanics and reliably enough manages to inflict them on enemies.

But bear in mind that M41 and M44 are pretty quick for artilleries.

They are fine for relocating, following the team and such (sometimes you might even be close enough to help capture the enemy flag if the course of a match warrants that)

However, you will not be able to outrun anything but the slowest vehicles (Matilda, AT2, TOG and such), so even with their decent agility they will rarely be able to wriggle out of a pinch.

That's useful Orkbert, thanks! They are fast relative to other artillery, not other tanks generally. Good to know.

Thanks to everyone for all your tips. In my view you can never have too much information!

splash_time #15 Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15006 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well, I'm not really good at teaching something, but I'll try.

Imo you should play with tanks that you enjoyed playing before, and when you finally become able to understand the current meta and maps? Go one higher tier, until you reach TX. Then, you'll be ready to play in different tiers, and you'll know the new tanks and how to overmatch them. :)

Gl mate.

Also tagged with tips;, help;, returning player;

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users