Questions about Strv S1

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

xGyilkosx #1 Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17257 battles

Hi people I am a player that has come back after long long long time not playing, I remember I stopped playing after the marathon when I get the WZ-111 (don't know how much time has passed :teethhappy:)

I have 2 tier VIII premiums the T34 and the the WZ-111, the T34 is not one of the best but from time to time I manage to enjoy playing it, that's not happening with the WZ-111 I know I am not a good player and still need to improve a lot, maybe it's me but this tank is like, it likes to bounce so much shots that for me should have pen

So with the event now that you can change, the Strv S1 has called my attention, but I don't know nothing about the tank, also I am grinding the line but still I haven't any of the new TD mechanic. 

So can you tell me how is the tank ? is it worth the change ? also will I be able to train the crew of the line in it ?

PD: Also I usually enjoy more playing with HT, so IS6 was another tank I had in mind, but also don't know nothing about how the tank is

Balc0ra #2 Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74936 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostxGyilkosx, on 15 January 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

PD: Also I usually enjoy more playing with HT, so IS6 was another tank I had in mind, but also don't know nothing about how the tank is

Stay far away from it. Like the WZ-111 it has low pen. It still has +1 MM. But 186 pen and 225 gold pen only gets you that far. As since you left, the armor meta has changed. And most targets like the VK 100.01 etc has more armor then you have AP pen. As in 220mm cupola etc. So, even with gold it's nor a sure pen on the target head-on. So if you want to grind credits. IS-6 is not that viable anymore.

There are other more viable options for Russian HT crew trainers if you want that. Or just premium HTs in general out for gold now. Like the T26E5 etc.

S1 is an interesting tank with an insane high pen gun for its tier and good camo. But, the siege mode takes something getting used to. As you move super slow with it on, and it takes a bit to get in and out of it. locking you up and making you more vulnerable when you take fire. So it's not as forgiving, but rewards you well once you get the hang of it.

fwhaatpiraat #3 Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61046 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Strv S1 prefers to have its enemies at 400+ meters. The gun can really shine at such distances, but it requires a different mindset to be at the right position. That doesn't mean you should camp in the base, that's terrible for your team.

BrinklyWollox #4 Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostxGyilkosx, on 15 January 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

So with the event now that you can change, the Strv S1 has called my attention, but I don't know nothing about the tank, also I am grinding the line but still I haven't any of the new TD mechanic. 

So can you tell me how is the tank ? is it worth the change ? also will I be able to train the crew of the line in it ?

I've just traded my IS-6 for an S1 and don't regret anything. It's a great bush-camping TD with nice camo, accurate gun and reasonable mobility. The shell velocity is excellent, good enough to snipe wheelies as you don't have to give huge amounts of lead. I'm certainly enjoying it so far, much more than I enjoyed/endured the IS-6.

It's not a good trainer for the line, the line has a different crew layout until tier 8 (no radio operator in the earlier tiers). Obviously it's suited to the latter tiers (8+) but with crew 2.0 coming this year (soon™;) that is likely to change completely.

It's also not the best earner if you're a sit-back-camp-bush player as you'll have to share your credits and xp with whoever's spotting targets for you, though that applies to every premium tank. The siege mode thing takes a little getting used to, especially if you need to make a quick getaway, so map awareness is everything.

As for changing your WZ-111 for an IS-6, I'm not sure you'll notice much difference between them, although the IS has worse premium penetration (APCR with 225mm) so you may suffer even more bounced shots.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #5 Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35288 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

S1 mechanics can be a bit fiddly to get used to at the start, but once you get the hang of it them it is a very good sniper if you don't mind that kind of gameplay.

The crew layout for the Swedish line is all over the place so your S1 would not be able to fit your low tier crew properly as the higher tiers need a Radioman, however that's not a problem as you'll need to train up a Radioman anyway so you could just get a dedicated S1 Radioman now then use the S1 to train up your low tier crews using the S1 Radioman and the Commander and Gunner from your low tiers and then when you get to the UDES and above your Radioman can move into them and will have a bit of a skills headstart.

You'll end up dropping a couple crewmen that you won't need anymore but maybe you'll find a use for them later if you decide to take a look at the Swedish meds

xGyilkosx #6 Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17257 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 15 January 2020 - 05:23 PM, said:

Stay far away from it. Like the WZ-111 it has low pen. It still has +1 MM. But 186 pen and 225 gold pen only gets you that far. As since you left, the armor meta has changed. And most targets like the VK 100.01 etc has more armor then you have AP pen. As in 220mm cupola etc. So, even with gold it's nor a sure pen on the target head-on. So if you want to grind credits. IS-6 is not that viable anymore.

S1 is an interesting tank with an insane high pen gun for its tier and good camo. But, the siege mode takes something getting used to.

With that for sure I will stay away from the IS :teethhappy: Also good to know that Strv has good gun and camo

View PostBrinklyWollox, on 15 January 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

I've just traded my IS-6 for an S1 and don't regret anything. It's a great bush-camping TD with nice camo, accurate gun and reasonable mobility. The shell velocity is excellent, good enough to snipe wheelies as you don't have to give huge amounts of lead. I'm certainly enjoying it so far, much more than I enjoyed/endured the IS-6.

It's also not the best earner if you're a sit-back-camp-bush player as you'll have to share your credits and xp with whoever's spotting targets for you, though that applies to every premium tank. The siege mode thing takes a little getting used to, especially if you need to make a quick getaway, so map awareness is everything.

Glad to hear you like it, about xp and credits I thought so but if I like the tank I don't mind :)

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 15 January 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

S1 mechanics can be a bit fiddly to get used to at the start, but once you get the hang of it them it is a very good sniper if you don't mind that kind of gameplay.

The crew layout for the Swedish line is all over the place so your S1 would not be able to fit your low tier crew properly as the higher tiers need a Radioman, however that's not a problem as you'll need to train up a Radioman anyway so you could just get a dedicated S1 Radioman now then use the S1 to train up your low tier crews using the S1 Radioman and the Commander and Gunner from your low tiers and then when you get to the UDES and above your Radioman can move into them and will have a bit of a skills headstart.

You'll end up dropping a couple crewmen that you won't need anymore but maybe you'll find a use for them later if you decide to take a look at the Swedish meds

About mechanics I saw the videos of WG introducing the line so with a little practice I hope to get the hang. Good to know about the crew, I don't care to have them for another use since I decided to be one of those crazy persons that wants to grind every line to have all T10

Thanks for the anwers I guess that my first instinc was good about trading the WZ-111 for the Strv :honoring:

speedphlux #7 Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49269 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR

I just traded my rusty old JagdTiger 8.8 for it and I love it. Also traded my TOG II for the WZ-120... the TD one. Both are great at their roles.

As for the Strv S1 - gets a little getting used to it, but it's not that difficult. I'm all the way on Tier IX on the Swedish TDs, so I'm quite experienced with the "siege mechanic". Armor can be trollish, versus lower caliber guns, but apart from that, you better stay hidden, firing at people from between 446 meters and further. The gun is accurate enough for the job, decent shell velocity, expensive rounds, but you don't need premium ammo with it.

It's great ! Quite like it so far. Trades off well against the USED 03 in terms of being the better Swedish Tier VIII TD.

gitgud_cannot #8 Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31333 battles
  • [PTS] PTS
for credit farming yes, fun gameplay, well it depends what do you consider fun, i dont like such gameplay much.

TankkiPoju #9 Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:43 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24444 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 15 January 2020 - 06:27 PM, said:

Strv S1 prefers to have its enemies at 400+ meters. The gun can really shine at such distances, but it requires a different mindset to be at the right position. That doesn't mean you should camp in the base, that's terrible for your team.

You can pretty much literally sit in base in a TD on many maps, and still be useful if you hit all your shots.

That's the reality of map design.

fwhaatpiraat #10 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:08 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 61046 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostTankkiPoju, on 16 January 2020 - 06:43 AM, said:

You can pretty much literally sit in base in a TD on many maps, and still be useful if you hit all your shots.

That's the reality of map design.

Only 'bots' will camp base on Ruinberg. Better to move to the 1 line. On maps like Malinovka, Prokhorovka, Steppes and Murovanka you could camp next to the base, but there are much better positions available that actually support the team. 

Thlurp #11 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14990 battles
  • [JORM] JORM

if you want something fun, why not.
if you want a credit farming tank i would go for something more flexible.

i traded in my FCM 50t for FV4202

there are many possibilities depending on what you like Strv S1 is very map dependant

Richthoffen #12 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31146 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

good speed, good gun, standard APCR with good pen and shell speed, superb camo.

slow when in wedge mode, once someone gets closed your death without help, when in travel mode forget about shooting unless you drive into a tank and stick your gun in that tank, very limited gun arc

good sniper from longer distances, good trainer from tier 8 up but you need to get to understand siege mode play

Gardar7 #13 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24927 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThlurp, on 16 January 2020 - 04:43 AM, said:

if you want something fun, why not.
if you want a credit farming tank i would go for something more flexible.

i traded in my FCM 50t for FV4202

there are many possibilities depending on what you like Strv S1 is very map dependant

FV4202 with that expensive yet low-damage ammo is not the best to earn as much as possible. 

tajj7 #14 Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28892 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

The thing I felt with the Swedish TDs, but particularly the UDEs and S1 (as the tier 9 and 10 can bounce 120mm or below armed tanks so can play semi-aggressive at times) is that there are so many games these days where your team wins rather easily and these tanks are terrible at chasing a game, they have no armour (S1 can bounce 90mms), they have to basically deploy to do any damage, so if the game is dynamic they are really awkward and found them really frustrating to play, as if people pushed into you then you could farm quite reliably but if the enemy falls back and camps you are not very useful and are awkward. 

Personally I'd get to the UDES and play it for a bit, see how you like the siege mode before you commit to the premium. 

xGyilkosx #15 Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17257 battles

Thanks again for all the anwers if good to see points of view of different people. :honoring:

Also just come to mind another question, so I will use this thread so I don't have to do another, about the meds of the swedish nation, I can understand why siege mode for the TD, but I have seen in videos that meds also has new mechanic, I guess it's not siege but something else. So glad to hear some tips about how it works and best ways to use it:great:

Gardar7 #16 Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24927 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostxGyilkosx, on 16 January 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

Thanks again for all the anwers if good to see points of view of different people. :honoring:

Also just come to mind another question, so I will use this thread so I don't have to do another, about the meds of the swedish nation, I can understand why siege mode for the TD, but I have seen in videos that meds also has new mechanic, I guess it's not siege but something else. So glad to hear some tips about how it works and best ways to use it:great:

It is called siege mode as well but it is automatic for Swedish meds from tier 8. They enter siege mode if the speed is under 10km/h. The difference is that for the meds this siege mode will activate only the hydraulic suspension (increasing gun elevation and depression) but for TDs it makes the gun more accurate too. STB-1 (tier 10 Japanese med) also has the same feature as Swedish meds. 

xGyilkosx #17 Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17257 battles

View PostGardar7, on 16 January 2020 - 01:26 PM, said:

It is called siege mode as well but it is automatic for Swedish meds from tier 8. They enter siege mode if the speed is under 10km/h. The difference is that for the meds this siege mode will activate only the hydraulic suspension (increasing gun elevation and depression) but for TDs it makes the gun more accurate too. STB-1 (tier 10 Japanese med) also has the same feature as Swedish meds. 

thanks now I know about it :honoring:

Inappropriate_noob #18 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17630 battles
Way to situational, it is a sneaky bush camper, to do anything else just  gets you back in the garage before anyone else, don't waste your money, spend it on essentials for the family, or get drunk, both more fun.

tajj7 #19 Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28892 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Swedish TDs and WVs are two of the lines that I feel you have to try the mechanic out yourself in some games because nothing else really plays the same. Even another turretless TD, like the tier 7 Swedish TD doesn't really prepare you for the awkwardness of the siege mode and how you have to adjust how you play IMO.

FataL_ShadowZ #20 Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11433 battles

I've often wondered, why would anyone get the Strv S1 if you have the UDES 03 (completely understand if someone hasn't ground the Strv 103B line)? Sure the Strv makes more credits but from what I've seen its extremely similar. The other main 2 premium Tier 8 TD's are quite different to their nearest tech tree national equivalents and offer a unique play style as well as great credit earners; Skorpion is nothing like the Borsig/Ferdinand/Jagpanther II and SU-130PM is nothing like the ISU 152/SU-101. I'm curious what the appeal is as to me it seems like an odd way to spend £34.

Edited by FataL_ShadowZ, 17 January 2020 - 04:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users