How to properly enjoy the game?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

OnTheVerge #1 Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8708 battles

Hey everyone,

I hope this doesn't get turned into one of many angry rant threads, as I never meant it to be like that.

I just wanted to ask a genuine question - What do you enjoy about the game, and why do you keep playing?

This is an important question for me, as I feel I've lost the will to play yet again, the moment the holiday event ended :(

I used to play because of 3 main reasons:

1. Tonk fun (generally driving and shooting a tank used to be fun)

2. Want more tonk (there were always unique and cool tanks to look forward to, a goal to keep you sane during grinds)

3. Winning over other players

The third reason is basic: winning in multiplayer games is fun, strokes your ego, makes you feel good about yourself. I rarely had such moments in WoT as I'm a huge noob. There were occasions I remember, but they almost never happen now, as even when I do exceptionally well, I don't feel happy or excited about it, because it feels that it was just luck. Once I learned the basics of positioning and map awareness (just the basics, i'm still a noob), it feels like whether the game is good or not comes down to RNG with shots. I eliminate the pen RNG by loading gold when its risky, but I can't adjust for accuracy RNG. Sometimes every shot somehow pens, hits the last possible pixel of exposed weakpoints, ammoracking and killing half the tank's crew. Sometimes fully aimed sideshots at stationary box tanks from 150 meters miss, multiple times in a row. 

I used to get angry and frustrated when that happened, but I eventually accepted that it is not my fault when it happens, it is just bad RNG. But this took away most of the joy when I actually hit my target. I know I could have missed just the same, and I feel like my damage is not hard earned, but rather the result of luck.

This also took away the 'Tonk fun' reason, as most tanks are very similar to each other, with identical gameplay in their class. Heavies go close to the enemy, where they can use their armor, and try to find cover from artillery. Meds get to aggressive positions/ridgelines/hull down when armored, or support the team (this high-octane gameplay was never my cup of tea). Lights play an intricate game of 'how close can I drive into this bush without getting oneshot' (i'm terrible at this), and TD's either stay back and snipe, or try to play like a heavy tank when armored. SPGs stay back and pray their shells hit, because even when fully aimed, miracle misses happen. I haven't tried wheeled vehicles, and I regret not unlocking the line during the holiday event, as it seems driving them is very fun on its own.

And finally, this killed the 'Want more Tonk' point - there is just not much to look forward to anymore. I'm not impressed by any particular tank or line, and don't really feel like getting anything new. There is no endgame for tier 10. I tried playing ranked a few times, but without the special meta heavies like SConq, it feels like you are playing at a disadvantage, and you are handicapped from the beginning. Grand battles are actually way less fun than I imagined, as its not 30 vs 30, but most of the time its just 10vs10, and the tanks I would most like to take into a 30vs30 mode are super-heavily-armored monsters that are just too damn slow for the mode anyway.

Frontline is cool, but when is it coming back? It should be a regular game mode imo, so tryhard unicums can get their perfect skilled MM, while the rest of us noobs get to respawn when we [edited]up.

I feel like I started to improve at the game: I deal more damage on average, I win more often when I really try. Even when losing I can manage something. I can even recover after losing 90% hp due to a misplay, and end the game with a satisfying score. But its just not fun anymore. I feel like learning about tank weakpoints, bushes, positioning, leading when aiming at moving targets was pointless. The most useful bits of knowledge nowadays is to know the perfect spots on the ridgeline, that allow more gun depression while keeping your hull covered.

Maybe this game just isn't for me anymore, and I should deal with it, and find something else to do. But I still care about it, I spent enormous amounts of time (and money) on it, and it feels like now all that time was wasted, as the main reason for playing the past few years was looking forward to the endgame - high tiers, special gamemodes, unique tanks.

TL;DR

I'm not angry at the game, I just don't find it fun anymore, even when winning consistently. Tanks feel the same. Nothing new to look forward to. Wat do?

Please, list your reasons for enjoying the game, and give some ideas on how I can enhance my game play to enjoy the game more.

And thank you for listening to my ted talk.

kaneloon #2 Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31555 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

I never looked for more tanks, while I obvioulsy ended with more and more.

In motivations :

Having 5 tiers X without spending a dime (done years ago).

Reaching 50% WR, the 51 and 52. The 53% with my past and play rate is hard science-fiction.

Lately it's loosily reaching the 7k of PR.

Playing CW battles.

The very tense "1 out of 100 battle".

Achieving a Master on each tank.

About the game (versus wow or lol) : the fact that you can play 5 minutes a day and not care for more.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74866 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

You have to find your enjoyment. If that's not grinding for end targets, or going for new lines. Then you gotta ask yourself what it could be instead.

I've taken many long breaks from grinding, and just played fun tanks I enjoy on mid to high tiers. Like the Standard B, Swedish Leo, Cromwell B, T71 DA or even the 13 90. Tanks that fit your style perfectly. And when I play those. I get less frustrated, I have more fun, and I generally enjoy the game. As I can also impact the games better with tanks that fit my style, vs grinds that don't. Thus you win more often too. Then have at least one "I don't care" tank. A tank you play for fun, and don't care if you win or lose. For me that's the tier 4 Luchs.

As if I was just grinding new tanks. I would have left ages ago. Keepers and having the option to go back to play what I found fun is what I do more than grinding. And that's why I stick around. If those tanks where no fun too. Why stay? I've worked to unlock some of them. I'm gonna enjoy them too.

_cro_magnon #4 Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34191 battles
  • [V-TER] V-TER
  • "Want more tonk"

This one easily fixable with nerfs and buffs and changes with the meta. Except WG is very slow with these. WG is not making sure that each of the 50+ tier 10s is viable at least once a year or so. Some tanks are just sitting there forgotten. IS-4 at tier 10 is basically unchanged forever really, with only small changes when it was turned HD. Shuffling deck a bit every once in while shouldn't be this difficult.

Edited by _cro_magnon, 15 January 2020 - 07:21 PM.

divsmo #5 Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
Much the same as Balc0ra i gave up the grind a while ago and just tend to play the tanks i enjoy, i've got about 180 tanks in my garage but generally tend to play about 20 of them. Then once in a while i'll play one of the tanks that's sitting gathering dust.
The clan i'm in also helps as it's not competitive at all, we all meet on teamspeak just to chat and platoon with no pressure on stats or anything else.

SlyMeerkat #6 Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18776 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

The game is not all about Numbers, no game is IMO and its people caring more for that than actually just playing the game which ruins most online games IMO..... I play to do my best and learn what i can, sure but i dont let numbers detect how i play and just do what i want.

My fun is playing Clan Wars and grinding tanks, getting to learn them and so on but moment i reach tier 10, i start over again because at that level my enjoyment dies and see no incentive to play as there is no grinding involved so whats the point, especially in Randoms :/

OnTheVerge #7 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8708 battles

Thank you for your insight everyone.

But, in the end I did end up uninstalling the game. I reinstalled it immediately though, as I only uninstalled it to remove the HD client, as I needed the space.

I'll just play tanks which I still enjoy playing. Maybe I will try and complete a mission or two for a campaign.

On the downside, one of my favorite tanks is FV304.

Maybe i should've quit playing after all :)

UrQuan #8 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22217 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Many ways to have fun in the game as you can see by the replies.

Best I can say is see what you enjoy in a tank & see what other tanks also offer it (for me it is armor & I enjoy making it work in many various ways). When you found your fun tank, it can remain pleasant to play for many games & can lead to quite some fun ingame moments as you master your favorite tank, allowing you to be able to pull off stuff that will amaze / surprise others.

Oh and don't just look for stuff you enjoy in a tank, but also what kind of challenge you like to work with. For me it is slow speed, making me consider every move, as i can't go back or relocate that easy, so I have to make the most wherever I choose to go.

None shall pass!

Hope you find your fun tank/niche in WoT & enjoy the game!

Edited by UrQuan, 15 January 2020 - 10:26 PM.

PowJay #9 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41285 battles

Some fair points there. 

I play to win. But, having said that, having secondary objectives that you may be able to complete in a loss is helpful. MoE can be improved with good performance in a losing battle. Tanks you need for Expert badges can still be killed in losing battles and, many PM objectives can still be completed in a lost battle. It's some compensation at least. 

I have pretty much finished grinding. I have only a handful of vehicles that are not yet Elite: 4 or 5, but I don't want the ones that come after anyway. I have all of the vehicles that I could possibly need for mission objectives and don't really see that there are any others that would improve my chances. I'm not saying that I'll never buy another tank, but I'm not grinding currently. 

My objectives for this year are to see if I can finish the first Personal Missions campaign, and try for as many Chimera missions as I can get. I also want to try for MoE on some of my favourite vehicles that I haven't necessarily played so much since MoE was introduced. In the last battle with the StuG III G I played I got to 93.5%, so I should be able to achieve that.

After the Festive event and with Premium time from Loot Boxes, I should have close to 40,000,000 credits by the end of next week when my Premium runs out. That's a big help with Premium ammo spam if it helps get the last couple of MoE percentage points. 

I wholeheartedly agree that it helps to have a particular objective whether set by WG or set by yourself. It becomes increasingly frustrating, however, when you know that you can achieve an objective but MM and RNG takes a huge dump on you!

Suurpolskija #10 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24295 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

When I started not caring about my stats and just playing the tanks I feel like playing. 

I also got even better. 

And if I don't feel like playing tanks, I can always play some other games. The tanks will be here when I decide to come back. 

No stress, just pew pew! 

demon_tank #11 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27891 battles
  • [3ADS] 3ADS

VERY EASY.

DO NOT do missions / marathons / grindy events.

Play the tanks which are more enjoyable for you.

Some low tier classics like Hetzer or Matilda etc.

Play some arty if that is your cup of tea.

Play OP tanks.

Play with TeamSpeak with your friends and talk stuff while you re playing.

Do not play TOO much.

Other than that there is nothing more you can do. You will get hit by arty. You will get outplayed by better players. You will get faceroll teams.

Edited by demon_tank, 17 January 2020 - 02:40 PM.

Inappropriate_noob #12 Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:01 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17630 battles

Oh that's easy, check out the WoT's portal, go to any forum on any WoT's subject, log out of forum, go play something else, WoW's maybe...

Or...

Wait until friday night, get a mate or two on TS, grab a beer and just play for fun laugh at your glorious defeats, spam gold, like (everyone else) tell dirty jokes, hey presto fun fun fun, do everything as a toon as going solo just make you regret living:trollface:

SteVer1n0 #13 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14067 battles
Start 3 marking stuff

Frostilicus #14 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23718 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
If you can't find anything fun to do in the game then perhaps this isn't the game for you! I don't play much any more but if I log in I just play tanks that make me smile - AMX 13/57, Luchs, Matilda, KV1 being a few of them

splash_time #15 Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14323 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I would say, seeing myself performing good in my bad tanks? This what make me play and enjoy, like, once I got the second MoE for my E100, which all were just saying it's a trash tank. :)

And playing T8s generally, it's a fun and balanced tier plus it doesn't have super OP tanks.

I'm trying to get Obj 260(not rushing the missions tho), and once I get it? I'll just go to play the tanks I really enjoyed. :)

jack_timber #16 Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 42113 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

As others have intimated you play what you want when you want & how you want, well that's what I do and it keeps me interested.

I to enjoy taking Bert out for a battle or two, 1754 times to be precise.....

Have fun.

Gardar7 #17 Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 24907 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I like to find new tanks I enjoy. When I find a hidden (for me) gem, I decorate the hell out of it and after that just battle after battle, watching it in the garage, so just having fun. Community-made skins and remodels work well too, I like to give a fresh look for my tanks. 

AeyT #18 Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6915 battles

View PostOnTheVerge, on 15 January 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

TL;DR

I'm not angry at the game, I just don't find it fun anymore, even when winning consistently. Tanks feel the same. Nothing new to look forward to. Wat do?

If you don't find the game fun at the moment, take a break. It's that simple. I'd say that keeping playing even though you're already burned out is more likely going to make you hate the game than making you like it again.

I've played this game since 2013 and i've taken atleast a couple over a year long breaks and i've always come back when i've felt like playing some tonks.

( my first account since i know this one is from 2019 - http://wotinfo.net/e...ername=aksu2500 )

Edited by AeyT, 16 January 2020 - 11:39 AM.

XOR42 #19 Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21848 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postdemon_tank, on 15 January 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

VERY EASY.

DO NOT do missions / marathons / grindy events.

Play the tanks which are more enjoyable for you.

Some low tier classics like Hetzer or Matilda etc.

Play some arty if that is your cup of tea.

Play OP tanks.

Play with TeamSpeak with your friends and talk stuff while you re playing.

Do not play TOO much.

Other than that there is nothing more you can do. You will get hit by arty. You will get outplayed by beeter players. You will get faceroll teams.

A lot this ^

Down a few beers, banter with clan/toon mates, try to play better, don't worry too much about what your team/enemy team does, just do your best to have a meaningful experience.

killer999death #20 Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26700 battles
  • [JHS] JHS
Make your own fun, basically that is it.

It's a competitive format game with a lot of RNG mechanics so fun is last. You want fun then have people speak with you while you play. I sometimes stream and have 2-4 viewers but it's enough to have someone to talk to while I play because otherwise game gets boring fast on a daily basis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users