• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Element6 #1 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32148 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A question of maths...

A long time ago, in a game long since vanished from collective memory, there was a player trying to improve his performance. 

This could have been a fairytale, but let's keep it simple.

Say there were 100.000 players, and that their skill ranged from 0 to 90. In the bottom of this playerbase there were 10.000 players with a skill of 0, 10.000 players with a skill of 10, 10.000 players with a skill of 20, 10.000 players with a skill of 30 and so on. Someone took it upon themselves to coach the bottom 10.000, and for simplicity let's assume that they gained 5 skill points each, and that all other players stayed exactly at their current skill level.

Would the game statistics of the bottom 10.000 change significantly over time? Would it be easy for them to improve their stats when all peers increased their skill equally? Would it be more or less difficult to improve these stats if we also assume that players further up the skill ladder also gained skillpoints, and as such took a slightly bigger piece of the pie on average in their battles?

Is it easy to simply git gud when everyone else is trying to git gud, and people above you also try to git gudderer? But most importantly, is it actually mindboggling that some players seem to stand still in stats?

Instead of trying to ponder this conundrum, you could take the easy route and instead focus on the very unimportant issue that it would be unlikely that the playerbase would be evenly distributed among 10 skill levels, and as such just evade the entire thought experiment.

May the 6th. sense be with you.

Gruff_ #2 Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23837 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Two blue socks on both feet

Two green socks on both feet

One green sock on the left foot with a blue on the right

One blue sock on the right foot with a green on the left

No socks

A green sock on the left foot with a blue over the top of it

A blue sock on the left foot with a green over the top of it

and so on..

So many things to ponder :hiding:

Element6 #3 Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32148 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGruff_, on 16 January 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Two blue socks on both feet

Two green socks on both feet

One green sock on the left foot with a blue on the right

One blue sock on the right foot with a green on the left

No socks

A green sock on the left foot with a blue over the top of it

A blue sock on the left foot with a green over the top of it

and so on..

So many things to ponder :hiding:

As weird as it might sound, pondering these issues is probably time better spent than trying to wrap one's head around the apparent "impossibility" of players standing still in the stats for 20.000 battles. Or, why such players are allowed to ruin your day by finding their way into your battle instead of uninstalling and wander off to play Tetris.

It's funny though, people who feel entitled enough to believe they are right thinking that another person, totally unknown to them apart from statistics, would have a better time in a different game. 

I wonder what they would think if I told them to go play Red Dead Redemption because they did too well in my battles so that I ended up just being mediocre. I think they would think of me as a fool if I believed I could just appear out of nowhere and make claims about other games they would have more fun playing than WoT.

I spent an age just getting to a positive WR, and WoT is still easily one of the more entertaining games I've ever played over time. It's apparently so hard to fathom, the will to continue, that a person recently sort of accused me of never having improved in WoT. That person quite evidently either talked about things he didn't bother to check up on, or deluded himself in an effort to appear superior.

It was rather entertaining.

Edited by Element6, 17 January 2020 - 12:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users