T54 dying out?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

Meglodon #41 Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29818 battles
currently workingthe t54 myself. Got the top gun yesterday and I also have the patton and e50 as elite. The profit margin is low but thats due to the comperativly high cost of rounds (T54:3.84$ pr dmg vs E50:3.19$ pr DMG and M46:2.56$ pr dmg). It becomes clear when you accuracy puts you 0.03 infront of the patton and 0.09 behind the E50. You are paying sniper round prices for shotgun shells. So personally id like to see the cost reduced a bit.

But the main issue Im having trouble with is finding a good way to play it. When it was stock it was the least frustrating. Had a usable gun, speed and armor but it does get ammo racked pretty often. That went down a bit once I got the upgraded turret but its still common for me to get a ammo rack hit. I dont blow up all that much but the loss of reload time can be really bad. Unlike the other two the tank doesnt really get that jump in effectiveness when it gets its top gun. Im basically playing the same way and my profit margin is down since Im paying 1k extra credits for a 90 dmg bump.   But Im still learning the tank so I might find better ways of using it.

The MM usually isnt all that kind either. I usually face multiple t8 meds and few to none on my team. Never knew that the t54 was so vunrable solo until I got one. But Im hoping things change once I get used to it and the engine and suspension upgrades come in.

ATM my pet pewee with the tank is that I always seem to loose HP when I get tracked.

Heinzi #42 Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10593 battles
Tier 8/9 mediums are too expensive and very situational to run in random games.
They don't have the chokepoint firepower and damage output of heavies to get a lot damage (=credits and xp) but get the same repair bill nevertheless.

It's no surprise that there's always 7-8 heavies and only 2-3 mediums in top tier games, when it should be the other way round to make more fun matches.

We have been complaining since closed beta that heavies are too mobile, their turrets are MUCH too fast for close range, and mediums need their repair cost slashed by 33% or heavies increased by 50%. Noone listened of course.

GehakteMolen #43 Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 51741 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostHeinzi, on 22 January 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Tier 8/9 mediums are too expensive and very situational to run in random games.
They don't have the chokepoint firepower and damage output of heavies to get a lot damage (=credits and xp) but get the same repair bill nevertheless.

It's no surprise that there's always 7-8 heavies and only 2-3 mediums in top tier games, when it should be the other way round to make more fun matches.

We have been complaining since closed beta that heavies are too mobile, their turrets are MUCH too fast for close range, and mediums need their repair cost slashed by 33% or heavies increased by 50%. Noone listened of course.

tier 8 mediums are excellent, for playing both solo and platoon

after having winstreak of 40-45 matches with T44 yesterday (platoon with 2x Panther II) got 70% win now and 980 exp/battle with it, and made over 600k credits
with pershing, which i mainly played solo has even higher exp/battle (1030 or so) and also like 65% winratio, both tanks are fine money makers, mianly due to the cheap shells, when u get tons of credits in a heavy, u also shoot tons of shells and 12k repair + 3k module + 20-25k ammo means u wont make much profit, with my medium repair etc is almost equal but ammo cost are 4 times as low, so profit is a lot better :)

tier 9 mediums have (too) expenseive ammo, but still, with premium u should easily make money, 2200-2500 damage/battle shouldnt be too much of a problem and with that kind of damage getting profit seems reasonable i assume :)

SakuraGamingHD #44 Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17072 battles
Good to know. I'm currently in pain of playing T-44 which also only makes some credits in camping mode, I was hoping T-54 is better. But I see it's time to find another game instead.

Alejando #45 Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 18527 battles
  • [LBG] LBG
As they nerfed the front armor it went bad. That front was its force!
Now its pretty crap and with bad accuracy.

E-50 is the tier9 medium you want.

introduction of french tanks dident help the t54 either

SakuraGamingHD #46 Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17072 battles

View PostAlejando, on 23 January 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

As they nerfed the front armor it went bad. That front was its force!
Now its pretty crap and with bad accuracy.

E-50 is the tier9 medium you want.

introduction of french tanks dident help the t54 either

Yea, but what's guarantee that once more people will make E-50 (I belive T-54 was more popular since it's russian game) they won't make another big money loser to force few more people to buy gold tank?

Alejando #47 Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 18527 battles
  • [LBG] LBG

View Postwozek2, on 23 January 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

Yea, but what's guarantee that once more people will make E-50 (I belive T-54 was more popular since it's russian game) they won't make another big money loser to force few more people to buy gold tank?

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

tier9 meds are not for making credits (unless you are on premium - then you can do it slowly)
It dosent really matter what nation the tanks are. People that use their brains drive tanks that have nice stats. fx. the e-75
Before the nerf, i drove t54 because it had a nice front armor and i coukd run around solo causing havoc, and get away with it.

E-75 has that nice front armor today. It's just not as fast/small/agile like the t54 was and therefore not directly comparable. BUT I wonder it hasent been nerfed yet tbh.

GehakteMolen #48 Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 51741 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostAlejando, on 23 January 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

tier9 meds are not for making credits (unless you are on premium - then you can do it slowly)
It dosent really matter what nation the tanks are. People that use their brains drive tanks that have nice stats. fx. the e-75
Before the nerf, i drove t54 because it had a nice front armor and i coukd run around solo causing havoc, and get away with it.

E-75 has that nice front armor today. It's just not as fast/small/agile like the t54 was and therefore not directly comparable. BUT I wonder it hasent been nerfed yet tbh.

coz its german, and thus nerfing it would mean the sh*tstorm about russian bias etc etc would start all over :D

ps: game is tankwise almost balances, certain tanks are to weak/strong, and need nerfs/buffs, including E75, which need nerf, after IS4 becomes tier X...

Anthoniusii #49 Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23972 battles
T-54 died the same momment WoT released its "weaker" version (Type 59) as a premium tank.
Comparing to Types ,T-54s are better but not worth playing. Types in matchmaker come accross with lower tier tanks.
Types may have less "life" but theu have exactly the same armor as T-54!
Playing T-54 costs extremely ad the same time type 59 is a money maker.
I sold my T-44 and my Panther II inorder to buy T-54 and be able to survive types attacks but in 90% of the battles
with T-54 i am the only medium tank inside a battle full of tier9 and tier 10 heavies!
Plus its ammo for it best gun costs 1320 credits each making them the most expensive for meds in the entire game.
That's a pity for a real tank that fights among "imaginary" and prototypes that NEVER got in production!
T-54 considered oe of the most "hard to kill" tanks until the new french tanks arrived that a tier 5 tank can destroy a T-54 in 12 seconds!
French had to conqured Soviet Union and we never heard about it. I can't explain that tank superiority other wise!

Meglodon #50 Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29818 battles

View PostAnthoniusii, on 23 January 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

T-54 died the same momment WoT released its "weaker" version (Type 59) as a premium tank.
Comparing to Types ,T-54s are better but not worth playing. Types in matchmaker come accross with lower tier tanks.
Types may have less "life" but theu have exactly the same armor as T-54!
Playing T-54 costs extremely ad the same time type 59 is a money maker.
I sold my T-44 and my Panther II inorder to buy T-54 and be able to survive types attacks but in 90% of the battles
with T-54 i am the only medium tank inside a battle full of tier9 and tier 10 heavies!
Plus its ammo for it best gun costs 1320 credits each making them the most expensive for meds in the entire game.
That's a pity for a real tank that fights among "imaginary" and prototypes that NEVER got in production!
T-54 considered oe of the most "hard to kill" tanks until the new french tanks arrived that a tier 5 tank can destroy a T-54 in 12 seconds!
French had to conqured Soviet Union and we never heard about it. I can't explain that tank superiority other wise!

actually the cost is 1230 and the e50s cost is 1245 but the gun is less accurate does less dmg and has 1 less penetration.
Personally I think one reason for its downfall is that its weakpoints are too close to the type 59. The way you or atleast I counter types is very similar to how I counter t54s. And basically everybody got a crash course in how to fight it because they decented like a lotus swarm on the game.

Eduard1991 #51 Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12874 battles
  • [WOLFZ] WOLFZ

View PostSzlejer, on 05 January 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

T-54 is an excellent tank, great fun to drive, best battle scout for tier10 battles.

this ^

xRatas #52 Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9921 battles

View PostAnthoniusii, on 23 January 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

1. T-54 died the same momment WoT released its "weaker" version (Type 59) as a premium tank.
2. Comparing to Types ,T-54s are better but not worth playing. Types in matchmaker come accross with lower tier tanks.
3. Types may have less "life" but theu have exactly the same armor as T-54!
4. Playing T-54 costs extremely ad the same time type 59 is a money maker.
5. I sold my T-44 and my Panther II inorder to buy T-54 and be able to survive types attacks but in 90% of the battles
6. Plus its ammo for it best gun costs 1320 credits each making them the most expensive for meds in the entire game.
7. That's a pity for a real tank that fights among "imaginary" and prototypes that NEVER got in production!
8. T-54 considered oe of the most "hard to kill" tanks until the new french tanks arrived that a tier 5 tank can destroy a T-54 in 12 seconds!

1. No it did not. They just raised Tier9 medium matchmaking values, so you don't see them in low tier games anymore.
2. T-54 is lot of fun to play. It easily swings the game around in right circumstances. (ie. it survives the first 5 minutes, this is where I screw up way too often. I'm first to get key positions, find out I'm alone there and then I'm dead...)
3. Type59 certainly does not have same armor.
4. True, but you'll get only half the experience when driving type 59. It is great fun too, but not much like T-54 really.
5. This is because Tier9-10 heavy tanks seem to be much more popular than mediums, not much to do with Type. And nowdays I often see horde of Type59 around when playing T-54 anyway. Can't complain about that really, their armor never saves them when I shoot, my armor rarely fails me against them.
6. That I agree. With the price of ammo, you'd like to hit sometimes. And T-54 often needs to fire when on the move, so lot of wasted credits. And when it hits, it doesn't really cause damage worth the cost. Then again, I'm fine with not making money when playing top tiers. After all, there is nowhere to advance anymore, I just ride for the fun. Doesn't get old so fast when you play something else every now and then.
7. Another thing I fully agree. I like real tanks. I'd like to fight against virtualization of those too.
8. Tier5 french medium certainly doesn't pose much threat to T-54. In fact I often try to hunt scouts at the start of game, so that I'm still in fighting condition after battlefield starts to be more chaotic place to roam around. But it sometimes feels like that new tier10 french heavy is putting tier9 mediums out of bussiness. Not that overpowered, but annoying to meet basically tier10 medium in game, when you have to stop on tier9. Haven't played it myself though, so most likely just envious because of his bigger gun...

Still playing and seeing T-54 often, and enjoying it a lot too.

Wolfir #53 Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17460 battles
  • [WBORN] WBORN
The tier9-mediums surely didnt die out because of the type 59.

They died, because mediums in general have some serious problems fighting tier9-10 heavys.

So even if T-54 / E-50 / Patton are better than Type 59 (and they are!), they earn a lot less credits plus they stand on a valuable tier9-slot that could be filled with E-75 / IS-4 as well.

del500044138 #54 Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12499 battles
  • [N-O-D] N-O-D

View PostGehakteMolen, on 22 January 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

tier 8 mediums are excellent, for playing both solo and platoon

after having winstreak of 40-45 matches with T44 yesterday (platoon with 2x Panther II) got 70% win now and 980 exp/battle with it, and made over 600k credits
with pershing, which i mainly played solo has even higher exp/battle (1030 or so) and also like 65% winratio, both tanks are fine money makers, mianly due to the cheap shells, when u get tons of credits in a heavy, u also shoot tons of shells and 12k repair + 3k module + 20-25k ammo means u wont make much profit, with my medium repair etc is almost equal but ammo cost are 4 times as low, so profit is a lot better :)

tier 9 mediums have (too) expenseive ammo, but still, with premium u should easily make money, 2200-2500 damage/battle shouldnt be too much of a problem and with that kind of damage getting profit seems reasonable i assume :)
I have no idea why you are on -5??

This thread is insane, am I playing the same tank?

On premium I always make a profit in my T54 even with losses I rarely loose money, and on standard it evens out. I can only assume the people complaining here are the 54s I see knocked out at the beginning of matches?

QQing because you get stuck in a TX game?? Jeez TXs are the best matches to play if you play intelligently, the profit I get from hitting the soft sides of TX heavies is tonnes more than chomping on some poor T6s when I get top tier. The game is designed as such.

If you are not profiting in this tank you need to learn to aim. Simple as.
Damage = $$$. Bounces = 0.

From the sounds of the complaints in this thread it sounds like people are simply not adapting. But whatever, its the same syndrome over and over. I remember in Beta people would refuse to use the 122 on the T44 because in the pre-lagg fix days the idiot gun was the best gun to use circling tanks. But when the lagg patch came and that strat died a death, no one would accept the change and move on. For me it was a duck shoot against the idiot 44s. One shot heaven.

I love my T54 and although I find E50s an even fight, I really don't seem to have any of the problems people have here. But that's just me. I apparently play differently.

xRatas #55 Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9921 battles

View Postr34ch, on 26 January 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

If you are not profiting in this tank you need to learn to aim. Simple as.
Damage = $$$. Bounces = 0.

Having premium account helps, sure. Rather hard to break even without. (But free is free(-ish), not complaining here!)

And to make average of 2000+ damage per round, I certainly can't do.

Some personal experience: My average damage in T-54 is 1250 right now. Hit ratio currently at 74,8%. But really hard pressed to get my damage ratio to 1 or more, now at 0.85. My win (45%) & survival (28%) ratio are really bad in this tank, not sure why. Still I have my best average XP in this tank. (Excluding type59, but I played about 150 games with premium account in it during a free premium day.)

Would be nice to hear some statistics about other T-54 drivers. Maybe I'd get a grasp where I screw up. One thing for sure is dying alone on some hill in the middle of map at first minute or two. But when I don't do that, team falls apart around me and game is lost anyway. I personally ofcourse end up getting much more out of the match. But after I ended up giving a damn about key points, my winrate started to stall fast, so not the best choice either it seems.

So wouldn't mind getting some insight what to do and when in T-54 at which point of the match! I think this is most glaring in Tier9 mediums, lesser tiers can often find something equal or lesser to hunt for, and they affect the outcome of match slightly less it seems. Tier9 often meets enemies that can shred them to pieces if given slightest chance to do it. (Not to say other mediums don't, but they have more easy prey around usually.)

But certainly not complaining, one of the hardest tank to play well it seems, but also most rewarding. (So I'd just like to improve a bit. ) And rarely I get the feeling it was because of my tank that I got screwed. Almost always I recognize being in wrong place at wrong time just before I die.

th3freakie #56 Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5829 battles
  • [P_S_L] P_S_L

View PostxRatas, on 27 January 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

But certainly not complaining, one of the hardest tank to play well it seems, but also most rewarding. (So I'd just like to improve a bit. ) And rarely I get the feeling it was because of my tank that I got screwed. Almost always I recognize being in wrong place at wrong time just before I die.
Indeed. Unfortunately, the tank is so damn fast and agile it makes it very easy for a driver with bloodlust to get himself into the wrong place in the wrong time. The T-54 is so naturally aggressive that the player has hold it in a very short leash.

I suspect that is what explains your low survival rates. I have over 500 battles with the T-54 and even so I sometimes find myself entering the enemy base at minute 12 with most enemies still alive, because it's just so easy to attack, attack, attack.

lcDumbPeople #57 Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26520 battles
  • [-A-A-] -A-A-
expensive. without my other tanks on premium i wouldnt drive it.
you will see them alot if you drive T9 med yourself, just had 3vs3 and 4vs3 T54, with 2-3 T10 each side. below that MM pattern you wont see any, 100 games with IS4 i saw not more than 10 total

Minkes #58 Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9653 battles
It took a lot of time to get to my T-54, mostly because of the bad T-44, which was a pain to grind before the buff. Now I'm stuck in game with 2-3 T10 tanks per team and can't do much because of the 175mm penetration gun. That thing bounces so often, unbelievable. You meet so many tanks now you can't do anything against with the LB-1. IS-4, E-75 and the T10 heavies bounce even shells shot directly into their back.
I really hope it gets better. Getting the needed XP playing scout only is pretty boring and playing a brawler is rather useless when you can't even penetrate the sides.
I really hope it gets better with the last gun, but comparing it with the E-50 gun makes me just sad.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #59 Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
Love my Type 59.

It makes credits on a loss to unlike the T55.

Siktrius #60 Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 16242 battles
T-54 need some min. dmg boost(50-75),all other is ok...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users