What did you learn?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Mr_Burrows #1 Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

Major

• Player
  • 51335 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

I think the past Christmas event was great. I loved the garage, we got a load of free goodies and it was generally a lot of fun. 
But I learned something in the process, and I shows. Well, not that I learned it, but it does show. Over Christmas my WR and WN8 dropped like a rock in vacuum. Pummeled. Crashed. 

So I learned that I shall not play medium tanks, I shall not play arty, I shall not play heavy tanks. I need to stay playing lights. 

The lesson was quite effective. I really like the UDES 14 5, but I do not do terribly well in it. The Lansen is fun, but I do worse in it than I do in the UDES. The Czech T 27 will be my first premium tank sold besides a few low tiers. I do so bad in it it hurts, and it is no fun to play. 
And the thing is that I like to do well in game. I like to play to win, not "to have fun". Well, to me winning is part of the fun. Losing is not fun. Ever.
I do suicide runs if I see that it will open up a flank or take out a dangerous enemy as to help the team to turn a battle. I do not try to farm points other than that I often try to stay alive as long as I can - game permitting. (I know those two last sentences sorta contradict each other, but both are true).  

But yeah. WR, WN8, and actually fun factor, has plummeted. I need to go back to where I belong. Light tanks, here I come!

What did you learn from last month of gameplay? 

OIias_of_Sunhillow #2 Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26777 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I learned not to believe the hype about win-rate, and WR dropping like a stone every Christmas period.

Mine went up like a rocket.

I've had some terribad teams most battles, but somehow pulled off some incredible wins from nailed-on defeats.

I'm currently taking a few days off from tanking, I've burned out over the holiday period.

May try a few today.

UrQuan #3 Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22312 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

That armored anything is my jam. No matter how good a tank is, if it has no armor, I fail in it (the Stug III G is an odd exception to this rule, dunno why). But if it has workable armor in any form; watch me get Steel walls in it. 

Edited by UrQuan, 18 January 2020 - 12:04 PM.

Strappster #4 Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29234 battles
That I'd forgotten more than I remembered during my extended break last year and that despite occasional burn-out, this is still my favourite way to waste time. And that I really need to get better at it.

shikaka9 #5 Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76221 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

My lesson:

Nothing will change. If someone wants uninstall today, do it , ...you not gona miss anything. Future is not bright. Sadly. ;)

CAKE IS A LIE

Edited by shikaka9, 18 January 2020 - 12:27 PM.

PowJay #6 Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41372 battles

I learned that I seriously need a break. I didn't mind so much playing a little more over Christmas. With the various bonuses and Blueprints I'm now down to only five fully-upgraded-but-not-Elite vehicles in my garage. (I forgot about the M53/55).

Every one of my crews now has at least 1st Skill/Perk complete and some finished a second or third over this period earlier than they would otherwise have done.

By the time my Loot Box Premium time runs out, I will be at around 40,000,000 credits. 

My WR has fluctuated, but I've played vehicles for XP, credits and missions (Tank Rewards and Boxes), rather than what I might like to play for fun. I've had good, and awful days but my WR is slightly up, I think (0.02 or 0.03%).

And I'm burnt out.

I got the Panther M10 this morning, needing 21 battles to get five eligible wins (I played 23 but another long battle ended with me receiving 20 tokens). My Premium runs out in five days. I'm leaving until March. I'm going to come back with a fresh outlook and new objectives. And this December, I'll do it all again. :teethhappy:

vonadnan #7 Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30790 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostUrQuan, on 18 January 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

That armored anything is my jam. No matter how good a tank is, if it has no armor, I fail in it (the Stug III G is an odd exception to this rule, dunno why). But if it has workable armor in any form; watch me get Steel walls in it. 

Amen to that, I cant play paper tanks at all, the last one with good stats was Borsig and that was zilion years a go

Blubba #8 Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 62470 battles

I bought the big packet of xmas boxes, Won loads of tanks. Played a few games and then switched off. Have hardly played. Premium time is ticking away and I can't seem to get motivated to load WoT. I've booted it twice but not fought. Just can't bring myself to play it. 

I've invested a shed load in this hobby and now...the urge is gone. I'm a bit gutted in fact when I think of how much time and money I've invested and now I don't have any umpff to play it.

I hope I can get back into it but what have learned?

Probably that maybe I didn't need to make quite such a financial investment because my interest switches off really suddenly.... which is a sad. conclusion.

FataL_ShadowZ #9 Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13726 battles

View PostBlubba, on 18 January 2020 - 10:55 PM, said:

I bought the big packet of xmas boxes, Won loads of tanks. Played a few games and then switched off. Have hardly played. Premium time is ticking away and I can't seem to get motivated to load WoT. I've booted it twice but not fought. Just can't bring myself to play it. 

I've invested a shed load in this hobby and now...the urge is gone. I'm a bit gutted in fact when I think of how much time and money I've invested and now I don't have any umpff to play it.

I hope I can get back into it but what have learned?

Probably that maybe I didn't need to make quite such a financial investment because my interest switches off really suddenly.... which is a sad. conclusion.

Just take a break, the game will still be here for you when the urge comes back (and it does, often with a vengeance).

My pattern over the last 2 years is play a ton of games from January until the Summer (I'm usually burnt out by then), then take a complete break until November and I'm refreshed and start again and have a renewed urge to blow things up again. This time round I'm currently playing more ranked games in LOL than I am in randoms in WoT. The lesson I am teaching myself  from past experience is: Reduce my WoT time and only play tanks I enjoy. My lowly overall WN8 is on the increase and my recent for the last month is 50% higher than my overall so it gives me encouragement to keep learning and hopefully improving.

Wreckedum #10 Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:10 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 123362 battles
I re remembered that there are far more clowns, and clown cars in school holidays as well as weekends

Robbie_T #11 Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21929 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostMr_Burrows, on 18 January 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

I think the past Christmas event was great. I loved the garage, we got a load of free goodies and it was generally a lot of fun. 
But I learned something in the process, and I shows. Well, not that I learned it, but it does show. Over Christmas my WR and WN8 dropped like a rock in vacuum. Pummeled. Crashed. 

So I learned that I shall not play medium tanks, I shall not play arty, I shall not play heavy tanks. I need to stay playing lights. 

The lesson was quite effective. I really like the UDES 14 5, but I do not do terribly well in it. The Lansen is fun, but I do worse in it than I do in the UDES. The Czech T 27 will be my first premium tank sold besides a few low tiers. I do so bad in it it hurts, and it is no fun to play. 
And the thing is that I like to do well in game. I like to play to win, not "to have fun". Well, to me winning is part of the fun. Losing is not fun. Ever.
I do suicide runs if I see that it will open up a flank or take out a dangerous enemy as to help the team to turn a battle. I do not try to farm points other than that I often try to stay alive as long as I can - game permitting. (I know those two last sentences sorta contradict each other, but both are true).  

But yeah. WR, WN8, and actually fun factor, has plummeted. I need to go back to where I belong. Light tanks, here I come!

What did you learn from last month of gameplay? 

Mine went up especially wn8 ...aint that hard to be better than 12 event muppets.

But playing Lt during events is a bad idea.

You probberly ask why?

-You can spot all you want event muppets hide behind a rock on the redline the whole game.

So you are spotting for nothing.

-Most Lt's aint got the hp or dmg to carry games with a lot of mupppets.

-Now that LT's are populair...you probberly end up with 2 muppet Lt's as team mates that suicide rush or camp redline...

and if the enemy team got 2 out of 3 decent Lt's you gonna lose,

But Wg and You tubers made a nice problem ....

Wg with the xp boosting 

You tubers....with promoting Med /Lt gameplay Which now result in having meds who are play as paper TD instead of medium.

You can see it almost every battle....a bunch of meds camping paper td spots.

Than you ask why the 1 line is totally open they come up with the excuse we meds are good snipers......

They not (some are) they are flankers! why do you think you have that 50+kmh....to beat paper tds to there spot.

NicoPudel04 #12 Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1550 battles

I used to have 58-59% winrate before this event.

I'm now down to 55% .... good thing i don't plan to pay for this game ... ever.

Edited by NicoPudel04, 19 January 2020 - 09:43 AM.

PowJay #13 Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41372 battles

View PostNicoPudel04, on 19 January 2020 - 08:42 AM, said:

I used to have 58-59% winrate before this event.

I'm now down to 55% .... good thing i don't plan to pay for this game ... ever.

I think that this is overly dramatic for someone who has only 782 battles. I used to have a 100% WR. Then I lost my second battle.

splash_time #14 Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15562 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I learned that whenever my WR drops, if I play with the odd tanks in my garage, that I actually don't know to perform good in them, I'll get back my WR and some good edition. It's weired, isn't it?....

NicoPudel04 #15 Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1550 battles

View PostPowJay, on 19 January 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

I think that this is overly dramatic for someone who has only 782 battles. I used to have a 100% WR. Then I lost my second battle.

And i used to think that reductio ad absurdum was a valid way of arguing a point with the purpose of having a constructive debate .... and then i grew up.

Edited by NicoPudel04, 19 January 2020 - 10:50 AM.

PowJay #16 Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 41372 battles

View PostNicoPudel04, on 19 January 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

And i used to think that reductio ad absurdum was a valid way of arguing a point with the purpose of having a constructive debate .... and then i grew up.

Well, perhaps when you stop trying to be all high and mighty, you might realise that I have a valid point. Let's say I won my first battle, I had a 100% WR. I lost my second, I had a 50% WR. I won my third, I had a 66.66% WR, I lost my fourth, I had a 50% WR. I won my fifth and had a 60% WR. I won my sixth and had a 66.66% WR. I won my seventh and had a 71% WR, but I lost my eighth, ninth and tenth and had a 50% WR.

At low overall numbers of battles, your WR does fluctuate more dramatically over a small number of battles. If you have a 55% WR at 1,000 battles you have 550 won and 450 lost. If you only win 40 out of the next 60 then you have 590 won and 510 lost. You have 53.6%. At over 40,000 battles, 40 losses out of 100 battles would move my WR 0.0X% down. 40 wins out of 60 battles is not uncommon except for really good players. I have had runs similar to this in some of my best/favourite vehicles.

And, while you are a very good player, you have to be excellent to continually sustain a WR of 58-59%. Maybe that isn't you. If it is you, then it will go up again. So get down off your high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself.

NicoPudel04 #17 Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1550 battles

View PostPowJay, on 19 January 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

So get down off your high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself.

It's not a high horse when you treat ppl as they treat you.

If you don't like it, learn to treat other ppl better, and you will receive better treatment.

PowJay #18 Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41372 battles

View PostNicoPudel04, on 19 January 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

It's not a high horse when you treat ppl as they treat you.

If you don't like it, learn to treat other ppl better, and you will receive better treatment.

You are the one that seems to have taken offence at a simple statement which, while tongue-in-cheek, actually has a solid basis in simple mathematics. And you are the one who had to go and show how clever you are by using Latin. And then you add an insult in suggesting that I need to grow up?

Who is the one who needs to learn how to treat people?

Suurpolskija #19 Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24569 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI
Was a fun event. Can't say I really learned anything else than that drinking beer while playing WoT during these events might cost you just as much as going to the local pub. 

TheJungleBeast #20 Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12555 battles

I found my win rates went down over Christmas big time, had my longest losing streaks over the 2-3 weeks around Christmas, normally hold roughly 50/50 win/loss rate daily but this was much more like 30/70 win/loss for the festive period, but on the bright side I got loads and loads of credits, loads of tanks, loads of crew members, loads of boosters.

Now Christams is over there is a noticable improvment in team quality and my rates are back to normal, thoughI suppose if some are having horrible losing streak then the counter is that others are having big winning streaks..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users