WZ-120-1 FT worth it?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

roboslash #1 Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10680 battles

Like the title says. How does this tank perform in the current state? I have some gold left from loot boxes and with the trade-in offer, I'm wondering if I should trade my SU 122 44 in for this tank.

I did once enjoy the SU 122 44 but it seems like it has been powercrept. And in higher tier matchups its pretty much useless with its abysmal 175 mm penetration. Is there any reason to keep this tank? (Becoming rare etc.) It seems like the WZ is essentially the same tank but on steroids.

Thanks in advance.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35855 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Yes, it's OP as hell. 

8126Jakobsson #3 Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 83500 battles
Pretty damn good for a turretless TD. 

Immensive #4 Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• 49205 battles
  • [HOOT] HOOT
It´s a great tank. Decent gun, great softstats on the gun (the gun itself is kind of trolish), good mobility and some armor (Around 180 - 200 on flat ground). Useful tank for randoms and stronghold.

splash_time #5 Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15118 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I played it when I got it for 10 days as rental, it's good one, it has good DPM and penetration. Also it has good maneuverability and hull traverse(sometimes lights can't circle it). 

The armour is so-so, but if you play it hull down?  Then you'll just love it. 

Edit: I was playing it like this, except the food.

Edited by splash_time, 20 January 2020 - 09:43 PM.

ChernoGamma #6 Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4372 battles

IT is accuracy is horror. It can not hit a tank from 300m. Its aim time is also too long.

Its armor is looking good on paper, but every tier 8 will pen it. Its gun depression is crap.

If you want to bring a turretless td into a close combat, this tank is ok, but turretless ts-s are bad in close combat.

ts-5 is  better. Scorpion G, and su130 is far better.

I have bought it, but it was a bad idea.

For me, td-s have to be accurate from 400m. The wz is not that tank

Edited by ChernoGamma, 20 January 2020 - 09:53 PM.

roboslash #7 Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10680 battles

I did buy it because heck, why not. I do have sniping premium tds as well, thought I could go with a more "brawly" td.

What crew skills and equipment should I use on the WZ-120-1G FT? Equipment wise I am currently running vents, gld and rammer, though I might switch out the vents with optics. 

And should I max camo or repairs first?

1ucky #8 Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 90592 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

100%.

Although / to be fair, if you don't like the SU-122-44, maybe it's not the right tank for you. :)

21:24 Added after 6 minute

View Postroboslash, on 20 January 2020 - 09:58 PM, said:

I did buy it because heck, why not. I do have sniping premium tds as well, thought I could go with a more "brawly" td.

What crew skills and equipment should I use on the WZ-120-1G FT? Equipment wise I am currently running vents, gld and rammer, though I might switch out the vents with optics. 

And should I max camo or repairs first?

Oops too late... damn.

Well, hope you'll like it. :)

#Skills:

Doesn't matter what you pick, as long as you take two repair kits.

(Just try not to burn...)

#Equipment:

I would use up one slot for either coated optics or binocs.

(I think I have optics on mine.)

Because it's got very poor view range otherwise.

But maybe you don't care if you're brawling exclusively, what do I know.

I just think you might get more flexibility out of it if you're actually able to spot something sometimes / when necessary.

Good luck with it! ;)

roboslash #9 Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10680 battles

View Post1ucky, on 20 January 2020 - 10:17 PM, said:

100%.

Although / to be fair, if you don't like the SU-122-44, maybe it's not the right tank for you. :)

21:24 Added after 6 minute

Oops too late... damn.

Well, hope you'll like it. :)

#Skills:

Doesn't matter what you pick, as long as you take two repair kits.

(Just try not to burn...)

#Equipment:

I would use up one slot for either coated optics or binocs.

(I think I have optics on mine.)

Because it's got very poor view range otherwise.

But maybe you don't care if you're brawling exclusively, what do I know.

I just think you might get more flexibility out of it if you're actually able to spot something sometimes / when necessary.

Good luck with it! ;)

Thank you! I played a couple of games in it and it feels good. I did actually enjoy the SU 122 44; just felt that it wasn't as competitive as it once used to be. Nevertheless I see myself playing this tank a lot.

1ucky #10 Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 90592 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View Postroboslash, on 20 January 2020 - 10:29 PM, said:

Thank you! I played a couple of games in it and it feels good. I did actually enjoy the SU 122 44; just felt that it wasn't as competitive as it once used to be. Nevertheless I see myself playing this tank a lot.

K, all's good then. :)

And you're probably correct about the SU-122-44 because all the old premiums have been powercrept by the new ones, and it's 175mm pen is certainly no exception when facing tough armor frontally. (Though I can still imagine it working impressively well at dishing out sideshots if you can somehow get it into such positions... But who cares, the WZ is great anyway. :P)

apaleytos #11 Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17153 battles

View Post1ucky, on 20 January 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

K, all's good then. :)

And you're probably correct about the SU-122-44 because all the old premiums have been powercrept by the new ones, and it's 175mm pen is certainly no exception when facing tough armor frontally. (Though I can still imagine it working impressively well at dishing out sideshots if you can somehow get it into such positions... But who cares, the WZ is great anyway. :P)

Yead that potato 122mm gun needs an update.I was playing the kv3 during holidays and the 217 apcr didnt work well vs hard targets  (imagine sniping with it lol).If SU had that chinese gun with 250 heat would have been way better.I guess ammo rework is on the way,it will be eventually updated.

This WZ looks solid TD,only if you enjoy playing turretless TDs. Personally i dont have the patience,so my results with them are bad .

Edited by apaleytos, 20 January 2020 - 11:46 PM.

NipplesTheClown #12 Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8730 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
good tonk. also memes to be had playing hull down in the open especially in FLs.  

Gardar7 #13 Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:13 AM

Major

• Player
  • 25128 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I have the Strv S1 and this as premium TDs. They are the total opposites of each other. Strv is a really passive TD and WZ-120 1 FT is an active one. Usually you don't play this TD as a sniper - as it doesn't have the accuracy - but you go and brawl with heavies or in a wolfpack with meds. It has the alpha, DPM, armour and mobility to do it. This TD is a great fun machine. I use it with rammer, optics and vents.  

xtrem3x #14 Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36224 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

This TD is probably my favourite premium tank.

You need to be cautious in tier 10 games, but tier 8/9 games just go with the meds and DPM people to death.

Tier 6/7 games you're frontline... Just push forward and wreck everything because they can't pen you.

If you're on flat ground and you drive partly up a bump/pile of rubble so the hull is even more angled but your lower plate is still covered you can bounce a lot of tier 10s and most tier 8 heat whilst using your gun depression to wreck them. Your heat can nicely deal with all tier 10s as well so you don't need to be too concerned about MM. Just be mindful of your low HP though, in some cases you can be killed in 2 shots. Oh and HE coming your way isn't your friend either :arta:

tank276 #15 Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54598 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

For a turretless, tier 8 TDD it is very solid.

Dont forget though, it is just a turretless, tier 8 TD.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32045 battles
  • [B_M_G] B_M_G

I could both recommend and not recommend this TD in equal quantities. It's got nice strong points for a turretless TD which would make it far more flexible than many other equal tiered and premium turretless options. Unlike many it has strong and workable frontal armor. That won't stop a whole lot when it's bottom tier but even then you can expect some bounces especially if you angle it to an immanent incoming shot and parry that shot away effectively. The armor is very strong at times against lower tiers and the way MM is gone it seems to get more favorable MM than before which brings its armor assets back into being a genuine factor worth considering when buying.

Other strong points are excellent camo and view range, easily achieving beyond maximum view range with a top crew and skill with vents and optics so doesn't need binos and doesn't need food... I run my WZ like a medium tank and actually play it like a medium tank with vents, rammer and optics equipment layout. It has really nice mobility for the level of frontal armor it has and really nice traverse speed which renders enemy tanks circling efforts useless for a lot of them, not WV and super fast lights or meds coming in hot carrying full speed obviously but if you're positioned close to something solid it's defended against.

DPM is top drawer you're talking 8 seconds between reloads for 440 alpha along with strong 250ish standard pen, 310 Heat and a rather useful 530 alpha HE for reducing a lot of same tier paper TD's to almost a 2 shot along with all the module and crew suffering those entail as well. 

The bad. It's gun and gun arch. It's a very crude, very rough and ready street pole with terrible aim time, meh dispersion and when you add those two traits to a narrow gun arch what that basically means is your DPM is pure theoretical since you will either be missing a lot of shots, spending a lot of time aiming which is obviously not firing and thus every second spend aiming is reducing your DPM since you're not firing obviously.... and of course there are plenty of times you will simple refuse the shot because the targets moving quickly between cover and there simply isn't a hope in hell of traversing, leading your gun, aiming to withing realistic chances and ya, you just simply don't shoot and reveal your cover for a 1% chance shot like that. 

That said, it's not really a sniper and it's armor would of course sort of hint at the fact it's not primarily built for camping bush. Sure, if needs be, snipe if it's viable, during a period of the battle where caution is the better call or it's a map that simply funnels tanks down corridors and it's easy to place this thing hull down with a little extra lean, fully aim and just bounce shots and pump lots of pain down that funnel all battle long. Otherwise, use the camo, view range, speed, traverse to work this TD in close to it's targets, pick the weaker enemy guns and face hug and bully some equal or lower tiers by just driving into it basically, keeping that w key pressed down and pumping those shells into that poor sap where accuracy and dispersion simply is not going to be a factor and DPM very much is. The TD does need a good crew though, like most tanks and with such gun characteristics and MM  be prepared to go from 7k battles to zero k battles just as fast without having played much different for both results lol.

TheDrownedApe #17 Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51275 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I am always surprised by the traverse speed and the armour when I meet them.

dognosh #18 Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10551 battles

Just about every reply is from a decent to good player (>50%)

I am not :) and this tank is easy to use for a tomato like me and my win ratio on it is begining to look like it could stay over 50% :)

This , super hellcat and the 130PM are the 3 goto tanks for me.

24doom24 #19 Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9052 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
It's very good. And it's not some stereotypical russian copy with no accuracy. 0.34 is more than capable of sniping. The only real fault of this tank is no turret and long aim time, that's it. Everything else is very good. 

ortega456 #20 Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 68361 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
For me it's one of 2 premium tanks I've ever sold (other one was Churchill III). I had so much fun in my 3 marked Su-122-44 that I thought this WZ would be the same fun on tier 8 but I found it to be extremely bad: Bad aim-time, mobility is ok-ish but nother special, bad depression, armor is nothing to write home about... I don't understand why people say it's a good tank, at all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users