WG need to impliment actual tutorials in their game.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Marcus_Helius #1 Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:06 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6110 battles
Too many teams have no idea how to play the game.
Even at higher tiers.
I think 90% of people who play this game have no clue how it works, how flanking works, how crossfire zones work, how to spread out and cover as much of the map with vision.
It's really boring playing in auto-loss teams of idiots who drive down one side of map, or leave massive holes in our line to let light tanks drive right up into our base...
Game after game after game of people who must be totally clueless how to play the game.
They must get some bizarre enjoyment out of the game, spending lots of money on gold and premium tanks but being content to just mindlessly drive around the map...
Or even folk who are in high tier games and must have just accepted that this is how the game is; you drive your tank somewhere and eventually the enemy appear in front of you, you shoot them they shoot you, then you die and lose, repeat...
Usually people learn to play games because the aim is to win right? And that is what is fun about the games right? Winning. Or contributing to winning by playing well.
But 90% of the players I see in my games seem to be content to just make the same mistakes again and again... 0 damage caused. 0 spotting. I wonder how they even get to tier 7+?

Spurtung #2 Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 77636 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

You speak about "them" as if you're so much better you're not even part of it.

Concerning the subject you brought up, there are plenty of tutorials and material. What's really lacking are players interested in watching them, learning something with it and improving their game.

One can have the best schools and the best teachers, but if one doesn't want to learn, then what?

azakow #3 Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

View PostMarcus_Helius, on 21 January 2020 - 05:06 AM, said:

Even at higher tiers.
I think 90% of people who play this game have no clue how it works, how flanking works, how crossfire zones work, how to spread out and cover as much of the map with vision.
It's really boring playing in auto-loss teams of idiots who drive down one side of map, or leave massive holes in our line to let light tanks drive right up into our base...
Game after game after game of people who must be totally clueless how to play the game.
They must get some bizarre enjoyment out of the game, spending lots of money on gold and premium tanks but being content to just mindlessly drive around the map...
Or even folk who are in high tier games and must have just accepted that this is how the game is; you drive your tank somewhere and eventually the enemy appear in front of you, you shoot them they shoot you, then you die and lose, repeat...
Usually people learn to play games because the aim is to win right? And that is what is fun about the games right? Winning. Or contributing to winning by playing well.
But 90% of the players I see in my games seem to be content to just make the same mistakes again and again... 0 damage caused. 0 spotting. I wonder how they even get to tier 7+?

Tones of people in the forum (which is only a small fraction of them all) that would answer "for fun".

Now what?

What is driving you for the last 5k matches?

Where do you get your kicks?

Why are you still here?

I assume you switch vehilcs and classes alot.

I assume you are a hard core grinder within the tech tree.

What is required for that "clue" about the game you are demanding form your teammates?

Do you know about the spotting mechanics (i.e. double bushing)?

Do you know about the penetration mechanics ( i.e. over matching, weak spots)?

Do you know all the good positions for all vehicle classes?

Do you know the maps well?

Mind it is not the others but you!

Edited by azakow, 21 January 2020 - 06:34 AM.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 75761 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

There are, but even if it's there. Don't mean they have to use it. Boot camp teaches about camo and even flanking. They link their videos in-game for new accounts too. Inc "how stuff works" videos. If they watch them or not again... is a different matter.

shikaka9 #5 Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 74979 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

Nah, I think Greta Thunberg has more chances to learn Trump about saving planet than any tutorial teach players what is this game about.

and while this is profit (like global warming too :hiding:)

so

gg:honoring:

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 35888 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
I feel this is a cry for help. OP is really seeking guidance under the pretence of feigning indifference.

We as a community should rally around and help this poor lost soul get himself at least a minimal education. I'll start:

https://youtu.be/RMF82fz4kDk

There you go OP, have a watch and learn.

Edited by NUKLEAR_SLUG, 21 January 2020 - 08:52 AM.

azakow #7 Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 21 January 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

I feel this is a cry for help. OP is really seeking guidance under the pretence of feigning indifference.

We as a community should rally around and help this poor lost soul get himself at least a minimal education. I'll start:

https://youtu.be/RMF82fz4kDk

There you go OP, have a watch and learn.

Oops, I totally missed that.

:hiding:

Let me add to it as well:

Cobra6 #8 Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

New players should be forced to play rather expansive tutorials on these mechanics rather than voluntarily watching some Youtube videos, that is the only way they'll learn in a swift manner how this game works.

But anyways, you are creating quite a lot of threads.

Cobra 6

azakow #9 Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles

View PostCobra6, on 21 January 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

New players should be forced to play rather expansive tutorials on these mechanics rather than voluntarily watching some Youtube videos, that is the only way they'll learn in a swift manner how this game works.

But anyways, you are creating quite a lot of threads.

Cobra 6

From a mature point of view, yes please! Them got to get a license!

But the kid in my head is impatient and likes to have it all and now! "Scr... them tutorials I can do with out it!"

The OP has made the 1st step towards educating himself, by posting alot recently.

Our hope should be that he spends some of his valuable free time watching the YT, understanding the content and is trying to apply all this in battle, rather than falling back to bad habits that have evolved within the last 5k matches.

Not an easy task, though.

splash_time #10 Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15141 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSpurtung, on 21 January 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

You speak about "them" as if you're so much better you're not even part of it.

Concerning the subject you brought up, there are plenty of tutorials and material. What's really lacking are players interested in watching them, learning something with it and improving their game.

One can have the best schools and the best teachers, but if one doesn't want to learn, then what?

This ↑

Plus, I've seen players who actually you explain and click on map for him so you let him understand the exact thing you want him to do, but all he do is going forward, without stopping, and eventually he'll be destroyed in a moment.

IMO, as someone pointd in above posts, WG should offer these tutorials for real cash so people finally go watch them, nobody appreciate the free stuff. :)

Second thing, I've had an idea, have you seen WG center? When you launch the game but it doesn't show on your screen, it asks you like "you can't see the game? Check here". So, they can add this option inside the game, like this, after a lose or a bad game: "You had a bad game? Check how to improve your skills here". When he clicks, he'll go straight to watch tutorials. And so on. :) 

(This is just my opinion tho)

Homer_J #11 Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

Field Marshal

• 33392 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMarcus_Helius, on 21 January 2020 - 04:06 AM, said:

Have you been out on the roads lately?

After hundreds of hours of training and a written and practical test there are people, lots of them, not just a few, who don't seem to have grasped the basics, like driving in between the white lines, indicating, parking.  It doesn't matter how much training you put in the game you can't force people to learn.  And the tutorial isn't that bad really, I have done it a couple of times recently, and it does cover most of what you suggest.

But most players are like you, whatever needs doing isn't their job, let someone else do it.

What separates the good players from the rest in this game is making the best use of whatever team mates you are given.  You can't change what other people do, you can change what you do.  When you accept that then you will be more content and more successful at this game.

m1x_angelico #12 Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27283 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

View PostHomer_J, on 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

After hundreds of hours of training and a written and practical test there are people, lots of them, not just a few, who don't seem to have grasped the basics, like driving in between the white lines, indicating, parking.  It doesn't matter how much training you put in the game you can't force people to learn.  And the tutorial isn't that bad really, I have done it a couple of times recently, and it does cover most of what you suggest.

But most players are like you, whatever needs doing isn't their job, let someone else do it.

What separates the good players from the rest in this game is making the best use of whatever team mates you are given.  You can't change what other people do, you can change what you do.  When you accept that then you will be more content and more successful at this game.

Because there is no punishment. Not because they don't know how to drive properly. Go to Germany or Switzerland and see how they drive there.

It is a well known fact that behavior that is unwanted but not sanctioned, will continue until it spreads and crumbles what ever other behavior was trying to accomplish.

OP has a point. There should be some mandatory in-game tutorial missions you must accomplish as you move between tiers or classes.

PabloGee #13 Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33792 battles
  • [5TAR5] 5TAR5

Let's start from : 

There is no new players in game. They are drag away immediately after trying WOT. Low tiers are 1 - 2 shots and you are done. Games are filled with AFK bots. 

WG tries to push players higher faster. They get tier 8 - 10 in a week and got REKT and REKT after REKT  achieving 30 % win rate on tier X. Realizing they need premium tank spends money and get rekt in tier 8. Quits game and never ever touch WG title anymore.

WOT loses 10 - 15 % player base every year and this includes fake and double accounts for referral program where players using bots in night to farm XP so they can get free tank etc.

I guess the real loss is around 20 % every year last 3 years. 

Even somebody pass all that low tier hell and start playing clan wars is not better. Lot's of cheaters and that famus "fair play policy" program. But WG can do nothing as I gues more then 50 % actual cheating in WOT using illegal mods, aimbots etc etc. 

I personały knew few players  cheating for years and never EVER got a single warning. I have no idea if they stil playing as I hate such loosers.

TheDrownedApe #14 Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51275 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I was playing TX arty over the weekend (yeah I know) and probably 80% of games were 3 arty. NOT ONE of the other arties on my team ever talked to their team, told them where they were aiming etc etc. I probably fired 2/3 shots every game at a tank that got hit (by another arty) whilst mine was in flight. These were all wasted shots and it's so infuriating for this to happen every game, just for the sake of WG to teach ppl to press T where they are firing. I've often contacted players after the game and asked them nicely to "mark their targets" and I get one of 3 answers.

1. nothing.

2. "it's randoms; I don't care".

3. what's that?

The fact that a lot of arty don't know it's a thing means they need educating better. WG, that's down to you

Edited by TheDrownedApe, 21 January 2020 - 03:18 PM.

fwhaatpiraat #15 Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61402 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Majority of people don't want a tutorial. If they really wanted one they would look and ask for information themselves.

m1x_angelico #16 Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27283 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 21 January 2020 - 03:23 PM, said:

Majority of people don't want a tutorial. If they really wanted one they would look and ask for information themselves.

I agree. Neither do they want tutorials in other aspects of their live, but that's why e.g. you get very rigorous driving lessons before sitting behind a 2k+ kg vehicle.

I don't think there needs to be rigorous tutorials for a mere game, but some prerequisite tutorial missions to allow you to play certain classes or tiers should be the norm.

Homer_J #17 Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:21 PM

Field Marshal

• 33392 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 21 January 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

I was playing TX arty over the weekend (yeah I know) and probably 80% of games were 3 arty. NOT ONE of the other arties on my team ever talked to their team, told them where they were aiming etc etc. I probably fired 2/3 shots every game at a tank that got hit (by another arty) whilst mine was in flight. These were all wasted shots and it's so infuriating for this to happen every game, just for the sake of WG to teach ppl to press T where they are firing. I've often contacted players after the game and asked them nicely to "mark their targets" and I get one of 3 answers.

1. nothing.

3. what's that?

The fact that a lot of arty don't know it's a thing means they need educating better. WG, that's down to you

Good point, the tutorial is missing an introduction to arty.  Though it could be seen as encouragement.

View Postm1x_angelico, on 21 January 2020 - 03:10 PM, said:

I agree. Neither do they want tutorials in other aspects of their live, but that's why e.g. you get very rigorous driving lessons before sitting behind a 2k+ kg vehicle.

I don't think there needs to be rigorous tutorials for a mere game, but some prerequisite tutorial missions to allow you to play certain classes or tiers should be the norm.

But people want to drive and that is the only way they can do so legally.  And they are still pretty bad at it when they have been trained.  If you force people to do training in a computer game they will maybe click through it without learning anything or might just go and find something to play which doesn't require taking an exam.  That might suit some of the elitist players but it won't help get player numbers up.

Slind #18 Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58031 battles
Here's a tutorial for all those 46% WR players: https://www.youtube....h?v=y_rGcthVoSY

Spurtung #19 Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 77636 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View Postm1x_angelico, on 21 January 2020 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostHomer_J, on 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

Because there is no punishment. Not because they don't know how to drive properly. Go to Germany or Switzerland and see how they drive there.

It is a well known fact that behavior that is unwanted but not sanctioned, will continue until it spreads and crumbles what ever other behavior was trying to accomplish.

OP has a point. There should be some mandatory in-game tutorial missions you must accomplish as you move between tiers or classes.

So...they'll be punished when they fail to flank or that whole anecdote on German and Swiss roads was a wrapping up for nothing?

17:44 Added after 5 minute

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 21 January 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

1. nothing.

3. what's that?

That and marking a target to see some moron rushing for a shot before yours gets there and often getting destroyed.

Or marking a corner for them to bait an enemy and they go around said corner where the enemy arty can shoot them and I'm unable to help.

The whole T thing has a lot more to it, really.

Nitro_Tank #20 Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7596 battles

So when you spout those stoopid ideas about "tutorials", tell us then what tutorials you would do? How long are they? Are are they mandatory? What do they teach? 

Do you seriously think a "tutorial" for new players can teach them the complex mechanics of the game in a simple and fast way without it being overbearing? 

Newsflash dude: People don't wanna play tutorials when the game can easily be enjoyed without it. Why bother playing a watered down tutorial when you can gather experience in the real deal? Thats how you stop new players from coming in and its neither in WG's interest nor in ours.

If people wanna learn there are tons of resources to do so, even coming from WG themselves in the form of indepth videos, the techniques of which you can practice extensively in games and/or with a friend. If people don't wanna learn them let them god damn be. Elitist talk like this is just pathetic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users