Pay to win?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY #1 Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31846 battles
  • [SOROS] SOROS

I am at work and therefore I have a lot of time on my hands to write a post like this. [removed]

It seems to me that there is a general consensus this game has became increasingly pay to win over time, and it that it became increasingly hard for a f2p player to play over time.

I believe that statement is false. I started playing in 2011, and remember quite well how it was back then.

While I agree that the tier 8 premiums which WG are releasing are increasingly powerful, and are indeed better than tech tree tanks, there are many other aspects which make it easier for the f2p player to play the game in 2020 than it was back in 2011-2012.

1) In those early years you could only get gold from CW, or by buying it.

Now you can get gold through frontlines and ranked too, 1-2-3k/season. Useful for demounting, but if you are patient, a decent player, and accumulate enough, you can even buy a premium tank from the tech tree from that. While most tech tree premiums are much worse than non-tech tree premiums, there are some decent tanks there (e.g. patriot, löwe, ELC even, t-54 prototype)

2) In those early years there were no tank marathons.

Period. The only way you could get a credit paying premium tank without paying money was to get the T34 which used to be a tier 9 heavy that was later changed into what it is now. If you had it in your garage, you received it as a premium, additionally you received M103 (which wasn't as bad of a tank back then as it is now).

There are marathons now, if you grind your [edited]off, you can get a tier 8 premium for free. If you don't want to or can't pay (e.g. you are still underaged and your parents won't buy you a prem tank) a dime, this can be a valid option for you.

3) In those early years there was no bonds shop.

You can buy a credit printing machine now for 8k bonds. Play ranked or frontline, and you will be able to afford a patriot. Lots of grind, but if you don't want to pay a dime, a valid option.

4) In those early years premium ammo was only available for gold.

Yes, probably a lot less was flying around back then, but as a f2p player you couldn't use it. I remember how I hated facing hordes of type 59-s (which was an OP tier 8 premium back then) in my IS with only 175 pen. If they angle that hull armor a little bit, you just can't pen.

5) In those early years there were no credit reserves.

You get those from various events now which definitely helps with grinding credits - usually the largest issue for f2p players.

6) In those early years there were no personal missions.

You can get loads of credits by completing missions, also premium days. Overall more than 2 months of premium if you are good. If you are smart, you complete the missions which give you premium right on a friday so you can grind your [edited]off on the weekend (if you work regular schedule, or still go to school).

7) In those early years premium consumables were only available for gold.

You can buy automatic extinguisher for 20k credits now, if you are smart, you buy it in advance for 10k. Believe me, it is much better than manual ones. It took me a while to get used to pressing 5 key to extuingish fire - even at my best efforts, I suffered at least 2 ticks of fire with those.

8) In those early years there were fewer events and they were much less generous.

Christmas event with credit boost? Piece of cake events such as tankrewards where you can get 3-7 days of premium just for playing a few battles every day?

Not even close. In those early years, we only had x3/x5 first victory events, (x4 became a thing much later), and during major celebrations like christmas we got 1 day of premium for free. That was about it.

So even if you are an f2p player, you can get:

- decent (altough not the most OP) tier 8 premiums without actually paying for it.

- premium days on the regular to help you grind credits (so that you can afford running tier 9 and 10 tanks and premium ammo)

- credit reserves on the regular to help you grind credits (see above)

You can argue that some of the current tier 8 premiums are indeed better than their tech tree equivalents, which really is an issue.

While that does make tier 8 pay to win, you can still jump in your tier 9 or tier 10 vehicles and stomp them. It would be a much larger issue if WG introduced buyable OP tier 10 tanks.

Also, in a way, it has been the case in the early days too, see type 59. While that tank is not so great anymore, back then its tech tree competition was the t-44, the pershing and the panther II. Just imagine that.

To add on top of that (and this is not about the pay2win topic anymore) the MM spread was 4 tiers. I remember being in the same battle with IS-3s in my A20, or meeting Maus in my M6 heavy. In those early years arty could oneshot you.

Sure there were no wheelies, progrettos, defenders (stone me, I am guilty of purchasing one too), obj 279 (e)-s and cheftains.  But believe me, overall, the game was much worse back then, it was more difficult for f2p players. I argue it was more pay to win too, because paying players had access to tools (gold ammo and consumables) which f2p players didn't have access to.

Edited by Homer_J, 25 January 2020 - 05:44 PM.
Impersonation

shikaka9 #2 Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76579 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
is this Abe Simpson story ? :teethhappy:

Edited by shikaka9, 24 January 2020 - 10:26 AM.

Zmago5000 #3 Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16702 battles

View PostSOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, on 24 January 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

..... [removed].....

EHM,.....:B

tajj7 #4 Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

The only pay to win things in the game are blatantly over performing premiums like the Defender. That is a vehicle that is behind a pay wall, that makes most players perform better than their skill level, thus it fits pay to win exactly. 

The rest of the pay to win stuff is largely whinging from people who want things easier, without putting in either the money/time/effort/skill. 

We have clear free to play players showing they can clearly do well on tier 10, with no premium ammo, and can afford to do that free to play. 

Of course those players are very highly skilled, if you are not as highly skilled then you either get better OR drop to a level where you can compete well and make profit, OR you put more time in to grind credits/marathons/frontline/Skirmishes etc. that allows you to afford tier 10 OR you put some money into the game.

What you actually see though is that many people want to play badly on tier 10 spamming premium consumables and premium ammo, without paying and then weirdly complain its unfair when they can't. 

The game is not designed to allow you to do that otherwise WG would struggle to make money and that is what premium time and premium tanks are for. 

mateyflip #5 Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39648 battles

The OP chatting correct stuff there. I remember most of what they are going on about.

WP OP, and done in a constructive manner. 

Would like to know more about the agent part - but that's me being noisy :teethhappy:

What what

Ps - after writing all that you would have thought that the OP would have liked to see the replies. Maybe they have.

Edited by mateyflip, 24 January 2020 - 11:02 AM.

splash_time #6 Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I started playing in 2018, and haven't spend a single coin on this game. And I managed to learn, reach and buy T10s with my skills. When I compare what older players say about the past and now? I just feel happy and understand that it's true that WG is doing some foolish moves sometimes, but it also true that they are trying hard to fix the game.

I managed to reach 1450 WN8, and still improving my skills (idc about WN8 tho but I like to see if I'm improving or not) without having any OP tanks. :D

I do suffer in training crews or starting with fresh crew, but overall? It's a good game until now. :)

SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY #7 Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31846 battles
  • [SOROS] SOROS

View Postmateyflip, on 24 January 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

Would like to know more about the agent part 

:B

I would like to know more about the shrewd-mouse (?) profile pictures that are around this forum. 

For example, UrQuan has one, but I've seen others have them too. Is that some anime kind of thing, or does it have to do something with WoT?

Element6 too.

Edited by SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, 24 January 2020 - 11:16 AM.

mateyflip #8 Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39648 battles

View PostSOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, on 24 January 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

I would like to know more about the shrewd-mouse (?) profile pictures that are around this forum. 

For example, UrQuan has one, but I've seen others have them too. Is that some anime kind of thing, or does it have to do something with WoT?

Element6 too.

Fantastic! I'm totally lost now :).  You have a great day mate.

What what

Badz360 #9 Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22731 battles
  • [BC-X] BC-X

For me the game is 'Play to Win', but 'pay to progress faster'.

Apart from some individual tanks, most other stuff is available to all players, but at a slower rate to accumulate. Crew skills, bonds accumulated through playing, and premium ammo, equipment etc. all available for silver.

Who has the advantage? A Skorp G player with a noob crew and no 'Sixth Sense' (I use this example as I bought that tank and used it like that before I had a real clue how the game worked), or a free to play player with a Charioteer and 5-skill crew?

Edited by Badz360, 24 January 2020 - 11:34 AM.

Balc0ra #10 Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76437 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, on 24 January 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

To add on top of that (and this is not about the pay2win topic anymore) the MM spread was 4 tiers. I remember being in the same battle with IS-3s in my A20,

I actually miss the old days of my Luchs bullying Tiger II's and IS-3 and doing hit and runs on those to distract.

UrQuan #11 Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22316 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, on 24 January 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

They're seals & they were made by Bowser_nl (Seal Avatars! ). Once in a while, other artists pop in & honour his legacy. What made the seals so popular was Bowser's creativity with it & attention to details.

Also you had cross team chat which could lead to some gems of chats:

When the enemy does not enter town with their toptier HT's, because you are there with your bottomtier HT:

I was so alone in town (old Fisherman's bay). No reds, no greens... The red HT's rather ran across the field into our TD's then face poor little me

Also: super-balanced MM (not)

If you think MM is unbalanced now, check how MM balanced this match (count the TX & T9 tanks on each side)

Looking back how it was, the game is less P2W nowadays, even regarding credit gain, as there's quite some events that generate extra credits. That said, some prem tanks are problematic as they do make engagements harder simply by being there.

Lucky skill can solve alot of things still. Harder against OP tanks, yet game knowledge can still be a great boon in those fights. 

Going smart with your expenses also helps, grinding one line helps your credit situation alot. I was a F2P player for a long time & never ran into credit issues. Got prem account now as I do enjoy the bonus (crew) XP & credits but I was self sufficient in credits long before I went prem account. The KV-4 used to be my moneymaker. Didn't earn as much as a prem tank sure, but the sheer games in it + my drive to improve in it more then compensated for it. Wanted to play KV-4 better, so I could play it more (better play -> more income due to better performance + less expenses due to less damage sustained & less shells missed/prem shells needed)

Edited by UrQuan, 25 January 2020 - 12:40 PM.

PowJay #12 Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 41388 battles

I think that there is a huge question mark over the advantage of OP, P2W Premium tanks. I have been unable to play a number of Premium vehicles even as well as I have their various tech-tree counterparts or similar vehicles. I have seen players do very well in "OP" tanks and players who do badly in the same vehicles. There are two players with garages full of Premium tanks who do frequent the forums, and both have (quite frankly) laughable stats.

A very good Premium tank gives an advantage in stats that it is never played stock, but poor crews- or poor skill selection/training- can still put these players at a disadvantage, and- of course- the key aspect to winning more than you lose is not the OP tank, but knowing where and when to go and how to confront the enemies so that you (generally) survive longer and more often than they do.

So, to other advantages of paying:

1. Faster grinds. So you don't have to play a vehicle stock, and can roll out with an upgraded vehicle sooner. This is great, but I see that a lot of players- with and without Premium tanks/time- rush to higher tiers without any statistical demonstration that they have learned anything at all. An idiot with a Premium account is an idiot who is at tier VIII to X with 2,000 games and a 43% WR. Running Premium to avoid tanks- or shorten the grind to the next vehicle- offers little advantage. I included converting XP from Elite/Premium tanks in this category of "P2W" as well.

2. Crew training. There are a number of ways that paying has an advantage- 100% crew training from new/transfer. Creating and converting Free XP to boost skills. Being able to afford crew books at liberty for boosting skills. Still and all, see the original point. A number of skills are genuinely useful and others are not. Also, having BIA will not make you a better player if you are redline camping and only seeing enemies when the battle is over (win or lose).

3. The ability to spam Premium ammo. This is, perhaps, a key advantage of having a lot of credits. You are able to afford to increase your Premium ammo loadout. Nonetheless, bad players at higher tiers- even with a Premium account-  will still struggle to make substantial profits if they are losing, dying, and spamming Premium ammo without actually doing any credible damage. Again, if you are a redline player you will still die and lose more often than you win- most likely.

Paying gives certain advantages that a free to play player will struggle with, but- with time- they can all be negated with patience and good play.

I currently have 49 prize and Premium tanks in my garage. Many are tier II and III gift tanks. Some have been received from Loot Boxes. Many are from tank marathons, or Tank Rewards, or are higher tier gifts such as the Super Hellcat and T-50-2. I don't really play most of them very much at all, either for crew training or for credit making. The most played, by a country mile, is the E25. The main reason is that I am good with it, and it is great for many mission types. Even as my most-played Premium vehicle, I still only have 439 battles in it, or just over 1%. My next most-played is the Churchill III which I have owned since 2013, and only has 388 battles.

I don't buy Premium time. I invested in Loot Boxes the last two years and pretty much have more than enough Gold that I shouldn't need to spend any this year, even if I want to. I had a big chunk (around four weeks) of Premium time both years, and I used this, with the festive bonuses, to boost my credits as much as possible for the coming year. At this moment, I have close to 39,500,000 credits.

You can save credits by waiting for discounts. It also gives you time to play Elite vehicles for fun, Free XP, credits and crew training instead of simply jumping into the next tank that you can't play.

The sad truth is that many players who come here moaning about P2W are, quite frankly, losers. The fact that they can't even do tier IV levels of damage in their tier VIII vehicles clearly demonstrates their lack of ability, and yet they bring out the old argument about pay to win. Well, this is my Skorpion G with a four-skill female crew. Stick that in your P2W tail-pipe. That's 20 wins, to save you working it out. My Rhm B WT has 484 battles and 54.75% WR. I may just about hold my head above water with lost battles in the Skorpion, but I probably make at least as many credits overall with the Rhm B WT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users