Are some of us getting too old?

motivation demographics

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

N_Sask_R #1 Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:12 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18101 battles
I'm not old, or don't feel old but the year I was born passed over a half century ago so I have to accept I'm not all that young now.  I was reading an article on a FPS game that pointed out a lot of their version of clan players have what I'd consider new generation motivations for playing, they don't care, period, they aren't there to do well they are there to socialize, laugh at each other when they are tomatoes and they simply do not give a voles nether regions about how it effects their teammates.  Those of us that are I would say late thirties or older grew up in a world where children were competitive, we wanted to play on the team at the park and it was somewhat important to not be the last kid picked, you tried hard to be good and in a sense your place in the social community was based on this, you had pride in it.  Even in video games for us you paid per life to play, dying could get expensive!   I can't say their way is wrong, I can say I find it very frustrating that they seem to take no pride in trying their best, old ones joined a team with a sense of obligation to do their part to the best of their ability, that seems to be gone.  Maybe it is time to retire and drift off to single player gaming.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #2 Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21951 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Hasn't WG revealed that the average age is 30+? There is a plethora of other reasons than yolo kids why games might not go as you'd expect and like. The most important of course being that you can always play better yourself.

If it's team effort you're after, clan games might be more meaningful.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:25 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76512 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 03 February 2020 - 12:52 AM, said:

Hasn't WG revealed that the average age is 30+?

Well unlike say FPS like CSGO or Fortnite that sits on an average age of 22 to 25. WG EU has said several times our average age here is over 32. And going by most topics regarding age, and how old most I know are playing this game are. I don't doubt it. As I'm 37 to name one. My clan is more or less on the 35 average mark. Most people I play with from other clans etc are past 40 as is vs 18. Oldest I know playing the game is over 70. And he is at the point where he really doesn't care. He is just here to have fun, not to play tactical. I wish I had the balls to do that more often too vs trying to win etc. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 03 February 2020 - 01:29 AM.

MrEdweird #4 Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• 23711 battles
  • [-FUR-] -FUR-

My answer to your question is no.

Don't worry about it.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #5 Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23750 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C
That is EXACTLY why I hate on wheeled F1 cars that roflstomp us normal old tankers!
So, You're 20 and have lightning reflexes? Cool, go play some other game. Don't You WG encourage kids to ruin Your playerbase fun. We even play Open General and Civilization! We're old and slow. We like to think tactically and aim, not just *WHOOOSH* through the battlefield haha-ing holding left hand on our right buttcheek just to be faster! (edit: and that's an old referrence nobody's gonna get)

Edited by Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet, 03 February 2020 - 01:31 AM.

Chuwt #6 Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:37 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 45224 battles
Very patronizing stuff...I can assure you that things among kids were probably a great deal more competitive among kids who are now 60 than those who are now 30, and they were allowed, encouraged and even defined by their competitiveness, in a way that younger kids would be horrified. For example, I was playing fully competitive full size rugby for my school team when i was 8, playing against in at least one case a secondary school who were all 12 (we won by over 100 nil, in the days when a try was only 3 points.) 

What older players have mostly learnt is that absolute insistance on winning at any cost is not the be all and end all, nor does it define how big your [edited]is. I see many win obsessed player who spend so much time abusing their team, sometimes before the game even starts, that they almost forget to play, and therefore making their own gloomy predictions true, barging their own teamates etc etc.
Give me a team of relaxed (and often wise) 60+ years old every time.

MrEdweird #7 Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• 23711 battles
  • [-FUR-] -FUR-

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 03 February 2020 - 12:30 AM, said:

That is EXACTLY why I hate on wheeled F1 cars that roflstomp us normal old tankers!
So, You're 20 and have lightning reflexes? Cool, go play some other game. Don't You WG encourage kids to ruin Your playerbase fun. We even play Open General and Civilization! We're old and slow. We like to think tactically and aim, not just *WHOOOSH* through the battlefield haha-ing holding left hand on our right buttcheek just to be faster! (edit: and that's an old referrence nobody's gonna get)

While I understand some of your frustration, I don't approve of you telling me to go play another game just because you can't adapt to it. The game is already very slow compared to most games and WG has gone to great lenghts to make sure it stays that way. Wheeled vehicles are a rare exception.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #8 Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:29 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23750 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

View PostMrEdweird, on 03 February 2020 - 12:52 AM, said:

While I understand some of your frustration, I don't approve of you telling me to go play another game just because you can't adapt to it. The game is already very slow compared to most games and WG has gone to great lenghts to make sure it stays that way. Wheeled vehicles are a rare exception.

I'm not telling You what to do. I'm asking WG whether it chooses clients who make their own money to pay to WG and CANNOT get their young reflexes back, or folks who dive into their mothers' purses to pay WG, maintaining their great young reflexes (since we're being offensive). My hand isn't what it used to be playing Quake series.

N_Sask_R #9 Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:48 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18101 battles

View PostMrEdweird, on 03 February 2020 - 01:52 AM, said:

I don't approve of you telling me to go play another game just because you can't adapt to it. The game is already very slow compared to most games and WG has gone to great lenghts to make sure it stays that way. Wheeled vehicles are a rare exception.

Oddly I agree with you even though it sort of goes against myself!  The world is changing, adapt or...well they do call us dinosaurs for a reason.  For now I can adapt to the speed, its the attitude I'm finding no longer suits me.

Robbie_T #10 Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22051 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 03 February 2020 - 01:30 AM, said:

I am 36 but my reflexes are just as fast..

NUKLEAR_SLUG #11 Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:47 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 36415 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 03 February 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

I'm not telling You what to do. I'm asking WG whether it chooses clients who make their own money to pay to WG and CANNOT get their young reflexes back, or folks who dive into their mothers' purses to pay WG, maintaining their great young reflexes (since we're being offensive). My hand isn't what it used to be playing Quake series.

From the perspective of WG why should they care where the money is coming from so long as it keeps coming? 

ChristOfTheAbyss #12 Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 251 battles

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 03 February 2020 - 01:30 AM, said:

There's plenty of older players who can deal with wheels. They are not fast enough to be able to blame reflexes. Am 35, have played with people 50yo and more, no problem hitting and fighting wheels.

Oldtanker68 #13 Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3034 battles

View PostN_Sask_R, on 03 February 2020 - 12:12 AM, said:

I'm not old, or don't feel old but the year I was born passed over a half century ago so I have to accept I'm not all that young now.  I was reading an article on a FPS game that pointed out a lot of their version of clan players have what I'd consider new generation motivations for playing, they don't care, period, they aren't there to do well they are there to socialize, laugh at each other when they are tomatoes and they simply do not give a voles nether regions about how it effects their teammates.  Those of us that are I would say late thirties or older grew up in a world where children were competitive, we wanted to play on the team at the park and it was somewhat important to not be the last kid picked, you tried hard to be good and in a sense your place in the social community was based on this, you had pride in it.  Even in video games for us you paid per life to play, dying could get expensive!   I can't say their way is wrong, I can say I find it very frustrating that they seem to take no pride in trying their best, old ones joined a team with a sense of obligation to do their part to the best of their ability, that seems to be gone.  Maybe it is time to retire and drift off to single player gaming.

Im sorry but at the tiers you are playing teamwork doesnt exist, because most people doesnt have a clue whats going on, exept randoms doing missions, or seal clubbers.

If you want more structured gameplay you need to play at higher tiers.

Or another game:P

Edited by Oldtanker68, 03 February 2020 - 08:49 AM.

jack_timber #14 Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43703 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I am old, I feel old and what's even worse I look older than I should, but I still play, and enjoy, WoT.

But when I was a nipper, never mind the park, it those that had the biggest conkers.

tank276 #15 Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 55154 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I am 43 , dont really feel old to be sharp in game.

But age has certainly taken a toll on my body for activities I did younger like going to the gym or playing tennis.

Guess it is just natural..

facmanpob #16 Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5230 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 03 February 2020 - 12:30 AM, said:

You need to take a look at 4TankersAndDog's youtube channel if you think that you need to be young to play well, either in WVs or the game in general...

splash_time #17 Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15725 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well, age can't stop you from having fun, can it? :)

Besides, as one did cover this, if you like teamplay? Go and find a clan where you can play T6-8-10 Skirmish. :)

It's really fun to play tbh, because all speak and laugh together, I've had it before, but I play solo now most of the time, and oh yeah, I'm 18, I would prefer playing with older people than playing with kids. :D

Ceeb #18 Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 34940 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

There are plenty of gamers that are old, Me, (not so good at the game) good oldies like, Signall11th, Drownape anyone in BEXF/BULL,  all old by gaming standards, but I bet all of the old gamers are old Spectrum/C64/Amiga/Atari ST players of old. Once a gamer always a gamer.

I'm not quick enough for twitch games like Pubg, and CSGO, I just downloaded Hell Let loose for some tactical realist combat and realised I'm no good at that too. But its really fun.

I started with Pong, seems like I'm going to end with Pong

Homer_J #19 Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

Field Marshal

• 33688 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostN_Sask_R, on 02 February 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

I'm not old, or don't feel old but the year I was born passed over a half century ago so I have to accept I'm not all that young now.  I was reading an article on a FPS game that pointed out a lot of their version of clan players have what I'd consider new generation motivations for playing, they don't care, period, they aren't there to do well they are there to socialize, laugh at each other when they are tomatoes and they simply do not give a voles nether regions about how it effects their teammates.

I'm a similar age to you and I have always played online games to have a laugh and relax going back to Quake II, in fact that's why I used this nickname so nobody would have any high expectations of me.

When I moved on to RtCW there was a great community who would have weekly get togethers, all on the same Teamspeak channel having a laugh and a mess about, sometimes on our own server, sometimes we would invade some random server.  Great memories such as the spawncamping tower of doom or suddenly switching the server to low gravity with some random pubbies on it.

Been through several games since and it's always been about having fun.  Not saying we didn't play to win but there was no point winning if it sucked the fun out.

SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY #20 Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31846 battles
  • [SOROS] SOROS

View PostN_Sask_R, on 02 February 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

Ok boomer.

On a more serious note:

Why do you think the problems you describe are related to age? What evidence or data do you have that supports your claim that younger generations are less competitive than older generations? Based on a random article you've read and did not even provide a link to?

Some anecdotal "evidence" to disprove your claims:

I am 26, my father (50) plays the game too, I have a much more competitive mindset than him. I also play better than him of course. He believes others cheat, that the game is rigged etc. 

I find his attitude pathetic to be honest.

Is he an exception to the valuable, competitive older generation you talk about?

Edited by SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, 03 February 2020 - 12:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users