Are some of us getting too old?

motivation demographics

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

unhappy__bunny #21 Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

Brigadier

• 20880 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

The biggest problem us oldies face is driving across the map, getting to a chosen spot and then trying to remember why we are there. 

We turn around, drive back to base, go to the toilet, remember where we were going and why, drive back to that spot. Rinse and repeat. 

24doom24 #22 Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9240 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Nah the game is changing and favoring super fast paced stomps and quick adrenaline rush gameplay. A far cry from the game I started playing 7 years ago. 

Blubba #23 Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:06 PM

Major

• Player
  • 62721 battles

It's a game. A past time which you should enjoy. If what you consider your best gain is to behave like a doughnut, fertilizer happens. I'm just not convinced age is relevant. I'm certainly old enough to enjoy a tipple. Often, a large tipple and I know it's definitely to the detriment of my team mates. Do you think I should stop playing, stop drinking or both?

Well I'll tell you what, at some point during that evening, I will have stopped caring what people think and knowing some others here, I suspect I may not be alone in this.

Enjoy what you do and focus on your game. It's the most important bit after all. 

Pandabird #24 Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 40005 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

Then there's us masochists who deliberately play tanks considered bad just to rub it in your face that you got beaten by a lobster painted T-34-100 or something.

I don't give a monkey's if we win, I just want to make the enemy smash their keyboards if my T49 oneshoots them from 400m or something.

Sure, my winrate suffers and my teams are let down, but I don't care. It's a game and i'm having fun ruining other people's fun.

Note that i never troll my own team and last year i drowned a total of 2 times (one was intentional when i found actual water in Steppes with a Black Prince). Amazing:teethhappy:

Edited by Pandabird, 03 February 2020 - 09:51 PM.

facmanpob #25 Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5235 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 03 February 2020 - 11:36 AM, said:

The biggest problem us oldies face is driving across the map, getting to a chosen spot and then trying to remember why we are there. 

We turn around, drive back to base, go to the toilet, remember where we were going and why, drive back to that spot. Rinse and repeat. 

I often have to get back out of my tank to go and check if I left the gas on!

mpf1959 #26 Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34375 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

Are some of us getting too old?

Some might be, but not me! I came late to gaming, I was 58 before I started, I will be 61 in 6 months, I play every day (as I have the time) and love a cliff dive, I soon learned how to disable the in game chat, and install a ping blocker, and play away merrily!  :B

Flicka #27 Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23711 battles
  • [CELL] CELL
If average player is 30 and over, how come most of them behave like children…?:mellow:

RSA_TriHard_7 #28 Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51270 battles
  • [FARMS] FARMS

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 03 February 2020 - 12:36 PM, said:

:teethhappy:

14:19 Added after 6 minute
37 checking in :B

jack_timber #29 Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43736 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFlicka, on 04 February 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

If average player is 30 and over, how come most of them behave like children…?:mellow:

Always reckon folk should act their age not their shoe size, if you get what I mean.....:)

MrEdweird #30 Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• 23711 battles
  • [-FUR-] -FUR-

View PostFlicka, on 04 February 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

This isn't true. You just notice the ones that behave like children. The rest say nothing.

SuperOlsson #31 Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24669 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View PostN_Sask_R, on 03 February 2020 - 12:12 AM, said:

I'm not old, or don't feel old but the year I was born passed over a half century ago so I have to accept I'm not all that young now.  I was reading an article on a FPS game that pointed out a lot of their version of clan players have what I'd consider new generation motivations for playing, they don't care, period, they aren't there to do well they are there to socialize, laugh at each other when they are tomatoes and they simply do not give a voles nether regions about how it effects their teammates.  Those of us that are I would say late thirties or older grew up in a world where children were competitive, we wanted to play on the team at the park and it was somewhat important to not be the last kid picked, you tried hard to be good and in a sense your place in the social community was based on this, you had pride in it.  Even in video games for us you paid per life to play, dying could get expensive!   I can't say their way is wrong, I can say I find it very frustrating that they seem to take no pride in trying their best, old ones joined a team with a sense of obligation to do their part to the best of their ability, that seems to be gone.  Maybe it is time to retire and drift off to single player gaming.

Complaining about how the youth is undisciplined, and back in the days when you were young things were a lot better? Wow that's new!

(No really, it's not. One of the oldest written examples of someone complaining about the younger generation is Socrates, so i guess humanity has been going downhill for ~2400 years, give or take.)

Spoiler

View PostN_Sask_R, on 03 February 2020 - 12:12 AM, said:

Even in video games for us you paid per life to play, dying could get expensive! 

Well, cheat codes for extra/unlimited cash or skip entire levels used to be free, now they cost money ^^

MightyBalls_2 #32 Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11201 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

This game is more about knowledge and awareness rather than skill and reactions, so age, unless you are getting towards the 70s, would not factor into the game.

The only thing you would ever think about is "am I too old to play video games". This all depends... At 38 I believe games like Fortnite are for a lot younger gen, but for games like COD, GOW, WOT etc are I do not feel too old.

Its a matter of personal preference, if you feel too old and wish to retire your gaming life, then do it, if you do not, then don't!

Edited by MightyBalls_2, 06 February 2020 - 08:55 AM.

Flicka #33 Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:42 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23711 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

View PostMrEdweird, on 04 February 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

This isn't true. You just notice the ones that behave like children. The rest say nothing.

That is actually worse then it should be.

Somehow I am so old that I think multiplayer team based games should have some sort of communication in them…

But I guess if the game stands the test of time, in 30 years we will have chat full of talk about how dark poo is, back pains, government stealing everything from us and similar subjects.

TungstenHitman #34 Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:45 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32997 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
I've started finding WoWs becoming more and more interesting lately. Guess I'm pushing on in years lol

Captain_Kremen0 #35 Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

Major

• Player
  • 39787 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View Postjack_timber, on 04 February 2020 - 03:45 PM, said:

Always reckon folk should act their age not their shoe size, if you get what I mean.....:)

Nah -Im growing old disgracefully. At 54 Im still running around a football pitch chasing people 20 or 30 years younger so I still have a great interest in my shoe size.

I know we on the forums are a small sample but what is the data across the servers? Especially the russian ones - which we know are the ones WG count.

Unicorn_of_Steel #36 Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18891 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

I am sorry OP but age is less of an issue than you seem to believe. I am 53 and activily practising karate. The rest of my team is on average maybe 25 but i kick their *ss big time if need be. I can assure you that you need some fine reflexes for that.

On the other hand i suck at WoT, at least looking at WN8. That has nothing to do with reflexes but with my limited ability to really understand the gameplay. I improve but slowly, very slowly. I just don't get the finesses of the gameplay to get better than average at best.

Besides this lack of skills i stubbornly try to make it in mediums and lights, when my stats clearly show that playing TD's would be a far better choice. (H*ll, i even like those very much so what am i doing?) 

Just keep looking for that tank that gives you the most fun and best results and work from there. It is out there somewhere. 

10:48 Added after 9 minute
Oh, almost forgot. Do you youngsters know that a boomer is a nuclear submarine with nuclear missiles on board? Lurking in the deep, undetected, somewhere under the Artic ice, with enough firepower to singlehandedly wipe out life on earth? The ultimate red line sniper so to say. Wish i was a boomer in WoT.... Unleash hell, Armageddon and Ragnarok on my command :izmena:

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 06 February 2020 - 11:39 AM.

TheDrownedApe #37 Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 52045 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Although not what your thread intended it's moving in the direction that I want.

I'm nearly 45 and I'm suffering with skills fade. 3-4 years ago I could play any tier and regularly hit 3.5k recent WN8. now if I play T8-10 I make mistakes far more often, don't react to the enemy as quickly and struggle to maintain consistency in sessions. I'm just not as good as others around me and it's obvious. I know there is nothing I can do about it, I know how to play, I go where to go, what to do, who to target but more and more I find myself in situations where I die and ask myself "What was I thinking?"

I feel I need another game where I can enjoy some careless fun but that idea brings it's own problems - learning the new game. I tried when BF4 came out and started to read some newbies forums but the amount of info I needed was staggering and, at my age, impossible to remember. So I feel trapped to WoT as my only source of gaming and that pains me as I've tried single player but they are boring. So in my gaming twilight years what do I do?

Wintermute_1 #38 Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 53429 battles
E sports players, perhaps the most competitive in the game always seem pretty young to me and they'll be representative of a certain larger group of young players. 

kaneloon #39 Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32360 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

Nah, I'm sure it is not linked to the age, you can be a good try-harder at any age.

It's more a question of physical and mental hability, of having some situational awareness and good brain - body coordination.

If you struggle and feel overflowed, this is when you could cry for hacks and cheats.

Or you just accept it as a fact and go with it. At any age.

Element6 #40 Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33232 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

In a nutshell I think society is more competitive these days than what it was when I was a kid in the early 80's. With all the demands on kids and youth today I think it's pretty natural that they shake the competitiveness when they log into a game to get that break from everyday life.

From what I've seen I'm glad I started school in '82 and not in 2015...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users