Historical Mode 2.0?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #1 Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23107 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

Anyone remembers the old historical mode that "nobody played"?
WG removed it, for many good reasons.
It was implemented half-heartedly, with just changing the matchmaker - availability of tanks and tank numbers per side.
That resulted in little fun for many tier V vehicles having to attack a camping Tiger 2's.

I liked that mode, despite it's faults.
Too many tanks are made up nowdays, I'd like to see a return of historical-tanks-only mode so we could play PZIV's against T34's or Shermans. Possibility is now, for even high tier historical battles, T55/54's versus Leopard or Patton tanks.

Any ideas on this mode? Historical battles? New maps for this mode maybe with team that has higher tier tanks being on the offensive rather than sitting hull down and laughing as poor wolverines bounce off of its armor. :)
Finally, chances for the mode to return in the newer enviroment of the game that we have now.

Edited by Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet, 08 February 2020 - 06:49 PM.

shikaka9 #2 Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 74979 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
historical wheeled battles TM  

Bulldog_Drummond #3 Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34477 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 08 February 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

Anyone remembers the old historical mode that "nobody played"?
WG removed it, for many good reasons.
It was implemented half-heartedly, with just changing the matchmaker - availability of tanks and tank numbers per side.
That resulted in little fun for many tier V vehicles having to attack a camping Tiger 2's.

I liked that mode, despite it's faults.
Too many tanks are made up nowdays, I'd like to see a return of historical-tanks-only mode so we could play PZIV's against T34's or Shermans. Possibility is now, for even high tier historical battles, T55/54's versus Leopard or Patton tanks.

Any ideas on this mode? Historical battles? New maps for this mode maybe with team that has higher tier tanks being on the offensive rather than sitting hull down and laughing as poor wolverines bounce off of its armor. :)
Finally, chances for the mode to return in the newer enviroment of the game that we have now.

I remember one hilarious historical battle when I got roped in with some anal types who had planned lines on a map to show exactly where everyone was to go and what they should do, and then spent an hour briefing us on our roles and missions before H Hour

Sadly, the team died within a few minutes when it came to the actual battle

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10266 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Yes, you can put it in the typical suggestion box.

Spoiler

Geoffrey_Ironfist #5 Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30963 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

When I started playing, if I was in a Russian tank and saw some tanks battling it out and some were German and some were Russian, my instinct was to shoot at the German ones without looking at their highlights, whether green or red. I shot friendly tanks rarely because nearly always I checked before shooting whether they were on my team or not but my instinct was first to look what nationality the tank was and then to check what colour the highlight was until I learned to change my priorities. I still find the random international tank teams a downside and would have preferred a game mode with some emphasis on nationality.

In general I feel often unsure about the answer to the question "who am I fighting for?". Normally you support a team or a nationality in most games there are out there that I know of but I am never sure what or whom am I supposed to support in this game. It is one thing to get good at it. Then what?

Chuwt #6 Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 43945 battles

`I would love to see an historical mode, but if it is actually going to be historical it has to be done well, no real point in having one if it is going to be really unhistorical!

In practice, I think it would be hard to get right, and i doubt that the current regime are up to the job of providing something that is both accurate and playable. I am also not sure how many of the player base would be prepared to put up with maybe 75% of the tanks at lower tiers, and most of higher tiersin the game not being allowed, and indeed whole nations being reduced to a rump, if that.

gitgud_cannot #7 Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:39 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32757 battles

what do you mean, unhistorical tanks? :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users