Am I playing this right.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

zigzag101 #1 Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1216 battles

Only just over 600 battles so far, still a newby, so I don't expect to rack up Top Guns or 1,000's XP. Don't have the skills for brawling, scouting firing on the run yet so find TD's suits my 'playing style'. But boy am I getting some stick in game. 

Am now on to playing the M8A1, and grinding through it, seem to find myself in battles with guys with a lot more battles experience than me.Usually result in fast moving battles so I keep my eye on the mini map and watch were the actions taking place. Re-position often and place myself in decent concealment and far enough to not get spotted (some times) or over run and then take pot shots at whatever comes along. If I can't hit an enemy directly (he's behind a rock or a building) I try and shoot to help one of ours who's engaged with him. Either harassing it to stop him flanking our guy, or trying to force him to avoid fire from me and end up taking a route that he'll run into fire from our guys. Sometimes just a case of discouraging him from moving forward until our guys can get to him and take him out.

From where I'm sitting it seems a tactic that works, Doing this I don't get many kills or damage hits but it's stopped some of our guys getting wiped several times and it's (maybe in a small way) helped us win a few times. It does mean as I'm firing 'harassing' shots my hit rate seems appallingly low.  Other higher ranking players seem to think I should be racing forward with them and engaging enemy directly so call me out as a 'camping TD'. 

So question is, are they right? am I playing this wrong? If I'm wrong then I need to refocus on my playing style. If I'm doing it right then I'm happy to carry on grinding like this until my tank and crew have gained enough training and skills to be able to engage more effectively.

Pansenmann #2 Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37389 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

At first, I think your post should need some reformatting.

it is hard to read.

second, better ask that in the newcomers section.

Lower tiers until tier 5 are an ants nest,

you can learn a bit there but basically it is just too fast or campfest.

I think the best you could do is try to team up with someone more experienced and if dead, observe their play

ChristOfTheAbyss #3 Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 251 battles
Already better than many with 10s of thousands of games. Just keep at it and you'll improve for sure. 

We_Just_Dinged_Em #4 Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Captain

• Clan Commander
  • 19197 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Clear evidence of using brain and minimap hack and trying to win games. You’re already better than 70%+ of the WOT player base.

Isharial #5 Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24665 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

it depends on the tank as to "how" you play it. There's no set way to play a TD, or a heavy (for example) and every single of them will play slightly or hugely different to another. what you can and should do in one, might be completely worthless in another. 

the M8 has a turret, good speed, and decent camo, meaning you can afford to be closer to the enemy than many others can. The fact your repositioning and actively trying means that you'll be fine on this point, just remember that when your in a bush, don't fire in it. I point that out because you'll lose any effective camo the bush has when you do fire. pull back behind it far enough that its no longer transparent in sniper mode (or actually there if you have the setting set that way)

this wont lose you camo when you fire, and less chances of being spotted and shot.

while "scaring" someone by dinging off their turret might work against some targets, doing so can give away any potential to flank, as they will know where you are. it would be better to wait until you can see their side or rear and shoot them when they cant get out of your firing line easily. 

damage is ofcourse the winner here, so, you'll be wanting to make your shots count and not "waste" them so to speak, on targets your shells just cant damage. 

I certainly wouldn't fire for the sake of firing either, as in higher tiers, and even your T4, will certainly begin to lose money doing that. 

many players are, dare I say it, morons, and sadly, you will find out as you progress that listening to them is beyond pointless. its worth it to keep your chat on though, as some people (as I do) will say where an unspotted tank shot me from, so you'll have a bit of knowledge or warning, but the majority will flame and curse.... its a side effect of the internet.

I would do what *you* think is the right course of action. Don't follow someone who thinks you should be doing something else, as most cant play properly either and believe themselves to be epic (when in reality, they do less than 1 shots worth of damage) 

when you die, you can always watch another player, playing your tank or others. it may give you some idea's or knowledge of common spots that people sit in, or where people tend to go with your tank.

at the end of the day, just remember to do your bit and try to deal more damage than your tank has hitpoints. the more you do, the more chance you've got of helping the team win

1ucky #6 Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 91768 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

Yes, you're playing it right.

As you gain more experience, you'll possibly notice more opportunities to attack earlier than you would have before, but for starters there's usually nothing wrong about sniping with a squishy tank. Especially at low tiers. Just keep chat-blocking the haters and have fun.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:10 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36328 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
You have a 48%WR which is average and at 600 odd games is nothing to be ashamed of. You may not be a valuable asset to your team at the moment, but neither are you a detriment to them so keep doing what you're doing, ignore the whiners, keep learning and you'll end up a good player. 

LethalWalou #8 Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:20 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34843 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View Postzigzag101, on 09 February 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

If I can't hit an enemy directly (he's behind a rock or a building) I try and shoot to help one of ours who's engaged with him. Either harassing it to stop him flanking our guy, or trying to force him to avoid fire from me and end up taking a route that he'll run into fire from our guys. Sometimes just a case of discouraging him from moving forward until our guys can get to him and take him out.

This... This part is exactly what more people should be doing, thinking several steps ahead of what your actions might make the enemy do. For example just your mere presence can make the enemies do things that help your team.

Since you already posses such mind set for the game, use the time you spend in lower tiers to pay attention to the maps more, and try to learn them a bit. That is where part of the skill comes when you move up the tiers eventually.

The starting point is brilliant though.

22:22 Added after 1 minute

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 09 February 2020 - 10:10 PM, said:

You have a 48%WR

He's too fast for you boi, he's already a 49%er after 20 more games. :P

SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY #9 Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31846 battles
  • [SOROS] SOROS

I agree with the others, you seem to have a good attitude, you already have map awereness, and you engage your brain during play.
I also agree that you should get to tier 6 as soon as you can, because anything below that is way too chaotic, and tank balancing is also horrible.
Tier 6 is also fairly chaotic, but ,ou can learn the basics and can even expect to experience teamwork every now and then.
But I wouldnt spend too much time there either, I think "real" WoT starts at tier 8 - the gameplay there is very similar to tier 9-10 gameplay, as many experienced players grind credits in their (slightly OP) t8 premiums. But in general it is still a lot more forgiving than T10 and people make more mistakes. I think tier 8 is where you should stop, start grinding up other classes (I recommend heavies then meds, leave lights for later and only ever play arty for personal missions), grind those to tier 8, and practice/have fun there until you have 7-8k battles under your belt.
If you'd like to learn:
You can read the opening post of this thread:
http://forum.worldof...4#entry10672214
Truly excellent post.

You can also download replays from this site:
http://wotreplays.eu/
You can filter for "master tanker" games which can also be great material.

You can also watch youtube videos or twitch streamers.
See you on thr battlefield!

Oh, and look at armor layouts at tanks.gg to learn about frontal weakspots (though in some cases you'll find there just arent any...)

Edited by SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, 10 February 2020 - 12:48 AM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36328 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostLethalWalou, on 09 February 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

He's too fast for you boi, he's already a 49%er after 20 more games. :P

Well there you go, he'll be purple by this time next week. :)

zigzag101 #11 Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1216 battles

Thanks for all the advice guys, and the encouragement :-)

Think I've just found a new joy to this game, taking out players with 50,000 plus battles. Might be plain luck but I'll take it anyway.  It's nice for the seal to win sometimes :-)

Edited by zigzag101, 11 February 2020 - 01:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users