How does the in game chat ban BOT actually work?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

SastusBulbas #1 Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:08 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36062 battles

I have submitted a ticket, but I am curious as I fully expect no actual answer or help from those who read my ticket.

I had a bit of a moan yesterday after receiving a chat ban, to be honest I dont remember saying anything innapproprate, we just accept it. Even if we dont actually know what we actually said and just assume it must be, it would be nice to have an explanation, though apparently it is automated.

Which is why I am hoping someone can explain the chat bot moderation thing a little better.

See, I just received a chat ban for innappropriate chat in game yesterday, except, yesterday I was chat banned hence whining on the forum and playing the game less.

Cant really say anything innappropriate when anything you type is met with red txt telling you your chat banned for innapropriate chat that it cant tell you about.

Or can you :amazed:

Balc0ra #2 Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 75702 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

100% how it works we don't know. It looks for words. What words? Who knows, might be harsh words. Or even some lesser harsh words you don't find inappropriate. As even if you don't find it inappropriate. You still gotta remember that this game has a low age rating. And thus needs to moderate chat based on that if they want to keep the rating. And how long each marks lasts? No mentioned. But get enough and you get an auto-ban. That's all there is to it.

It's like I said to you the last time. If each one of those sending you rage PM's only did use those words in those PM's. They still only have one mark. If you did reply to each one with marked words. You would have several.

SastusBulbas #3 Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:28 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36062 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 12 February 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

100% how it works we don't know. It looks for words. What words? Who knows, might be harsh words. Or even some lesser harsh words you don't find inappropriate. As even if you don't find it inappropriate. You still gotta remember that this game has a low age rating. And thus needs to moderate chat based on that if they want to keep the rating. And how long each marks lasts? No mentioned. But get enough and you get an auto-ban. That's all there is to it.

It's like I said to you the last time. If each one of those sending you rage PM's only did use those words in those PM's. They still only have one mark. If you did reply to each one with marked words. You would have several.

But I was chat banned yesterday, that is my point, how can I type anything innappropriate on 10/02 If I cannot type messages due to having a chat ban in effect on 10/02?

Edited by SastusBulbas, 12 February 2020 - 12:28 AM.

Isharial #4 Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:04 AM

Major

• Player
  • 24665 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSastusBulbas, on 12 February 2020 - 12:28 AM, said:

But I was chat banned yesterday, that is my point, how can I type anything innappropriate on 10/02 If I cannot type messages due to having a chat ban in effect on 10/02?

perhaps it wasn't for "talking" but more, pinging? did you, by chance, ping alot, even when chat banned?

SastusBulbas #5 Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:18 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36062 battles

View PostIsharial, on 12 February 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

perhaps it wasn't for "talking" but more, pinging? did you, by chance, ping alot, even when chat banned?

Could that be it!

Yes I ping a little more, well I cant point out or say anything in chat due to ban so usually will ping 3 to 5 times hoping to make my intentions clear or point something out.

Done it a bit today, Pointed out the usual scout spot and wow our scout spotted a scout, could not ask a Chrysler GF to take point so pinged map, but got took out by tier 9 TD's hidden in the bushes ahead somewhere.

malachi6 #6 Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51360 battles
It's more to do with the number of reports rather than what people say.  I have had a chat ban for trolling trolls (in my biased opinion).  I am very rarely insulting (truly only insulted 3 people in all my games and have always apologized), I merely point out logical and epistemological fallacies. Troll enough uninformed individuals that appear to think your sexuality and place of birth, etc, are major contributors to your ability to play and you can rack up sufficient reports to earn a ban.

Edited by malachi6, 12 February 2020 - 08:43 AM.

SastusBulbas #7 Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36062 battles

Yes, but to receive a chat ban for innappropriate chat while SERVING A CHAT BAN clearly shows the system id fixed/broken/trolling/abusive or whatever.

So as all I can do is ping, are we to assume WG bully and further DELIVBERATELY punish players who receive a chat ban by counting map pings which anyone with a two figure IQ would expect to go up if you cannot type in a TEAM game.

Basically it proves in my opinion that either moderators troll or the CHAT BOT is a load of undeveloped tripe.

Strappster #8 Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28849 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
The second ban could have come from Support in response to a ticket raised by the recipient of your abuse. Automated system triggers after parsing your comments, second ban applied manually when the ticket is processed.

Homer_J #9 Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:36 PM

Field Marshal

• 33378 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSastusBulbas, on 12 February 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

Yes, but to receive a chat ban for innappropriate chat while SERVING A CHAT BAN clearly shows the system id fixed/broken/trolling/abusive or whatever.

Or a report submitted through the support site from a few days earlier caught up with you.

SastusBulbas #10 Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36062 battles

View PostStrappster, on 12 February 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

The second ban could have come from Support in response to a ticket raised by the recipient of your abuse. Automated system triggers after parsing your comments, second ban applied manually when the ticket is processed.

But the ban states the innappropriate chat on such a date at such a time. It is not generalised but a specific date and time they claim I did something innapropriate WHILE i was unable to chat due to a ban for unspecified innapropriate chat in game, I fully expect to see another today around 5pm the way things are going.

Smells fishy getting chat bans after an altercation with the general chat mod or loads of in game verbal abuse over a two day period from the same player. Basically it now works out at three bans in a row since the 31st for the same unspecified reasons and with no actual evidence but now as we can see AFTER I claimed it fishy still getting chat bans for dates and times I was not even in chat.

Update.

So in my opinion, we have yet again got MODERATORS OR THE CHAT SYSTEM ABUSING PLAYERS!

In response to my ticket asking WHY I GOT A CHAT BAN WHEN I COULD NOT TYPE DUE TO BEING CHAT BANNED! I get the below rubbish auto response.

Hello SastusBulbas,

Thank you for contacting Player Support. Due to your inappropriate behaviour in chat, your chat privileges have been suspended.

Please make sure you study our game rules carefully to avoid similar issues in the future and keep in mind that any inappropriate behaviour in chat is a violation of the game rules.

Please be aware that in order to provide as efficient a service as possible, this response is automated. However, there are certain topics that require human assistance as we might have to provide extra information or take extra actions.

If you are in one of the following scenarios, please reply to this message and provide us with as much information as possible about what happened:

• I have been unfairly sanctioned by a Chat Moderator (Message received: “reason + Moderator Name”
  • I have been unfairly sanctioned by the Anti-Spam system (Message received: “Due to exceeding message limits your chat is restricted. Please contact Player Support to remove the restriction

Please keep in mind that the ticket will be automatically closed if you come back to us with a non-legitimate situation.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

RedDeadFred #11 Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21390 battles

I don't know how the chatban system works, but I do know one thing: It sucks donkey balls. I have received a chatban while being chatbanned. What kind of bullsh*t sorcery is that? I sometimes type "idiot" or "muppet" etc. when I see someone spoiling the game for the team by doing crazy stupid stuff. And I do accept that I might be in for a few days without the chat, but to receive almost a god damn month of chatban while being chatbanned (and thereby having no way of typing bad stuff in chat), that's just f*cked up and something is clearly wrong. Every other company would resolve this issue asap, but at this point, one couldn't possibly expect anything from Wargaming. :))

Rati_Festa #12 Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

Major

• Player
  • 51219 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Its a shambles of a system, as its so vague in advising what you have done wrong, I assume its like this as it aggregates incident numbers over time? Then just fires off when it reaches a certain point? The fact map pinging and using naughty words isnt differentiated in the reoprting points to how poorly it has been implemented.

When I get one, two things happen I play something else and I dont spend any money.

Im not sure if thats the intended outcome for WG or not... just more lazily thought out solutions, slowly depreciating the perception of the quality of the game.

NekoPuffer_PPP #13 Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35792 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

I'm pretty sure the system is automated and tracks "naughty" words, so if you joke around with your clanmates in clan chat or in battle, and type a "naughty" word, regardless of context (doesn't have to be insulting), you'll get flagged. After enough flags gathered, you get sanctioned.

The epitome of BS. Why? - because there's a nifty little setting in the game's options under the "General" tab which automatically censors bad words, even ones which aren't bad - I know from experience, had to ask a guy to turn off his filter and see I hadn't typed a bad word otherwise he thought I'd insulted him. We both laughed at WG's filtering system.

So, even that doesn't work right...and you may get reported for it by sensitive players immediately thinking you've insulted someone!

Furthermore, reporting someone for inappropriate behavior in chat will inflict a chatban on that person's account, after enough reports...regardless of what they've said, or even if they've said nothing at all.

Unfortunately, your mere existence offends some people, and they have the ability to ruin your day for it. Wild world, innit?

Edit: ah yes, and when I'm chatbanned I tend to pingspam the map more, sometimes for the rest of the match, if I've popped a gasket... I also tend to avoid playing the game altogether... (working as intended?...PFFT)

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 18 February 2020 - 07:22 PM.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #14 Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 26718 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSastusBulbas, on 12 February 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

Please keep in mind that the ticket will be automatically closed if you come back to us with a non-legitimate situation.

Non-legitimate reason...

That's open to, mis/interpretation/abuse.

"The dog ate my homework". Ain't gonna cut it.

JocMeister #15 Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28550 battles
I asked if our top tier Maus wanted more crayons to eat and got a chatban for that almost immediately. Other times I have drunken raged like a madman in chat and not gotten a ban. So I don´t think its automatically on certain words but it needs someone to actively report you.

Edited by JocMeister, 18 February 2020 - 09:01 PM.

Wreckedum #16 Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 121429 battles
It works like spot assist - totally incomprehensible

m1x_angelico #17 Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27270 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

It's just how game companies and other many others work until they get slapped by bad PR or a lawsuit. Then they do damage control.

This is just one of the examples how WG non-transperancy works bad. Most players don't care about this issue until they become "victims" of it.

Edited by m1x_angelico, 19 February 2020 - 01:25 AM.

NipplesTheClown #18 Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8730 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
just take the ban and move on.  So many people are super offended by the smallest things these days including any kinds of criticism so they have to sanitize chat in order to not hurt feelings.  Deal with it man. Nothing we can do.

1ucky #19 Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 90592 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View PostSastusBulbas, on 12 February 2020 - 12:28 AM, said:

Example:

1.) Say something inappropriate in chat a little bit after midnight.

2.) Go to sleep.

3.) Wake up, log in (could be in the evening, too), and wonder why they banned you for saying something today cause you were clearly (in your own mind, that is) insulting people yesterday, but not today! Touche!

4.) Proceed to complain about it on the forums. (Optional)

TL;DR

The exact timing counts, time zones count, maybe Minsk time is the reference, who knows...

Since it's an automated message/system that works with time stamps, it's probably correct in some sort of way.

Edited by 1ucky, 19 February 2020 - 07:49 AM.

Ceeb #20 Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:10 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 34519 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

Well I dont think its a good Bot, and it more than likely relies on tickets being sent in.

Only know this as I can be salty at times.  Anchor, (with a W) seems to get away with a lot :) insults like "Oxygen thief. calling into question the parentage of players..

Suprised I'm not banned to be fair.

I'm the exact person the Bot should flag and it doesnt.

Hey, I'm honest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users