Japan Mediums Meds Medium tanks Line Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

AStandardGamer #1 Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:55 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7954 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

Hey I was considering going down the Japanese medium line but I was concerned about the line up until tier 9.

Tier 9 + 10 - Seem good, dpm etc

Tier 8 - seems OK Would like to know more if anyone knows much.

Up Until tier 8 what is the line like? I cant decide if they seem like sluggish shaft boxes or hidden gems.

Would love to know anything about the line that people think might help.

Thanks

1ucky #2 Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:38 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 91645 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

I think they might work best as hull-down snipers.

Otherwise the armor (usually) won't hold up.

So, just abuse your truly awesome gun depression potential instead.

(By appearing as a small target shooting down from hills, for example, until too many enemies notice you. Then you know it's time for the scoot-part of shoot-and-scoot.)

By the way the dpm is also very nice.

TL;DR, just shoot-and-scoot, rinse and repeat, etc.

Oldtanker68 #3 Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:09 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3034 battles

View PostAStandardGamer, on 13 February 2020 - 03:55 AM, said:

Hey I was considering going down the Japanese medium line but I was concerned about the line up until tier 9.

Tier 9 + 10 - Seem good, dpm etc

Tier 8 - seems OK Would like to know more if anyone knows much.

Up Until tier 8 what is the line like? I cant decide if they seem like sluggish shaft boxes or hidden gems.

Would love to know anything about the line that people think might help.

Thanks

Tier 5 is really good, tier 6 is mediocre at best, it’s more sluggish. Tier 1-4 is fast, so doesn’t matter.

Edited by Oldtanker68, 13 February 2020 - 06:10 AM.

StronkiTonki #4 Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 35276 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

I remembered the Chi-Ri being pretty fun back in the day.

Though back when I played it, there weren't nearly as many autoloaders, and this one still felt unique.

It probably won't be as special anymore in the current game.

Other than that, most of the line wasn't bad, but nothing super special really.

Gardar7 #5 Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

Major

• Player
  • 25314 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post1ucky, on 13 February 2020 - 02:38 AM, said:

(By appearing as a small target shooting down from hills, for example, until too many enemies notice you. Then you know it's time for the scoot-part of shoot-and-scoot.)

Might work best as hull-downers if they didn't have paper turrets. 

I think the biggest problem that they are not good at anything. The first good tank on the line is at tier 10, so that's the bait. Some says that Type 61 is a good tank. I played it before the buff so maybe it became a beast, but for me that huge cupola and paper armour killed it. You can go hull down thanks to the good gun depression but again the paper turret makes it somewhat useless. The gun was derpy back then, maybe it is better now. Lower tiers are not any fun, Chi-ha is the best I think. Chi-Nu, Chi-To and Chi-Ri are somewhat you just want get rid of as soon as you can. For me Chi-Nu and Chi-To were better than Chi-Ri, the tier 7 has abysmal penetration values on that tier. I grinded the line because my favourite tank is the Type 74 (STB-1 is the prototype of it). I don't really play tier 10 but I like to just watch it in garage with that fancy sakura camo on it. Was it worth the effort in my case? No, definitely no. 

MeNoobTank #6 Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18684 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

The whole line is good and fun as I remember it. I don't agree with the guy that posted above me. The tanks in this line have all very high penetration values, good DPM and very very good gun depresion and because they are paper thin they force you to a specific gameplay, you cannot rush with them but you try to find cover and shot in the enemies that do not expect you.

Tier 1-4 cannot remmeber. They are mostly similar and you only feel that you upgrade your tank by tier. Tier 5 was just awesome, but maybe is aslo because in tier 5 I was playing mostly against tomatos. Tier 6 also very good, I never shot 1 single prem ammo. Tier 7 was the most fun imo because of the autloader that can unload in 3 seconds. The only problem that I had with the tier 7 Chi ri was that it is slower than the tier 6 but bigger. I would buff either the engine or the terrain resistance to Chi-ri.

Tier 8 was actually the most boring from the line to be honest but maybe because I already had STA-2 from a long time and STA-1 is jsut very similar. The best of it I think is the DPM that works very well with the very good standard ammo, I was just hiding and them unloading every 5 seconds...I meant that is really good for a 240 alpha.

Now I am in love with the tier 9 Type 61. The stock grind was one of the easyest grinds ever. The stock gun is already so good that you can even keep it but the top gun has the alpha and is alot more accurate that I expected and again the DPM is monster. The big alpha let me be more agressive than I was in the lower tiers.

I still didn't bought the STB-1 but I think I will love it too as I liked the whole line by now.

L3gionaire #7 Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27423 battles
  • [I-S-Y] I-S-Y

The reward at tier 10 is a blast, trust me.

The STB-1 is amazing.

Hull down DPM monster.

Worth the grind 100%

So I encourage you to go this line for sure.

The tier 9 is also very nice.

FatigueGalaxy #8 Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23510 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Tier 5 is your average tier 5 medium tank. But it has decent pen and 10 degrees of gun depression.

Tier 6 has DPM, pen and even decent gun handling but it's big and kinda slow.

Tier 7 is probably not good because of its size and mobility but it's kinda unique. Compared to other tier 7 mediums with high alpha - you hit for even more (390 vs 300) with better DPM (300-400 more) and way batter accuracy. But you have to hit 3 shells instead of 1 so you need 2 s to deal this damage. Aiming time kinda compensates for that - Chi-Ri will more often than not, unload faster than Leo can fully aim. The difference is - Leo is kinda small and fast, while Chi-Ri is huge and slow. But then, there is no other tank like this...

facmanpob #9 Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5166 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
I had fun with the Tier IV, V and VI, but found the Tier VII Chi-Ri was too finicky. The chances of getting a full clip into someone weren't great, and more often than not I just felt like I was firing a peashooter. I've played 9 battles with the Tier VIII so far and loathe it with a passion. It was sent from hell to troll me! If the Tier IX and X weren't decent I would sell it and never look back!

Flicka #10 Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23663 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

Lower tiers are kinda all the same, small differences.

The 3 shell autoloader can be fun, but its slow and huge.

For the last 3, tier 8 is quite generic, tier 9 is fun, and turret can be surprisingly bouncy, good dpm, use that to your advantage.

And tier 10 is really fun to play, but only when you can play it to it strengths, work the ridge decently close to enemy.

With its dpm, and honestly perfect amount of dmg you can do some serious anger management to your opponents.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #11 Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36260 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Chi-Ri is a fun gun on a crap tank, but everything there and up just gets better and the STB is very nice these days.

DuncaN_101 #12 Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57292 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Stuck at the tier 8 myself right now. Don't have the drive to grind it atm. So far it's quite underwhelming tho (but it's not fully upgraded yet)

Nishi_Kinuyo #13 Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10494 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Imo, they're all decent enough.

Although the Chi-Ri is a marmite.

Balc0ra #14 Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76382 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Post1ucky, on 13 February 2020 - 05:38 AM, said:

That's only true for the tier 5 premium, as he has more turret armor and can bounce the odd shot. But tier 5 and 6 are pure support meds, as they are not fast enough to be flankers. Great 2nd line snipers even.

Tier 7 is a bully. Slow, huge 3 burst fire bully. You either love it or hate it. No one thinks of this as "meh". But in support of others, he can trade fairly well vs high alpha guns with a slow reload. So often I take the trade to clip them twice if they are low HP.

Bulldog_Drummond #15 Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34713 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View Post1ucky, on 13 February 2020 - 04:38 AM, said:

I agree.  I haven't been to high tiers but as the ones I have used have been not very speedy, with bad armour, but good guns, I have found Japanese Mediums best used as turreted TDs.

The standout in the Japanese line I think is the Ke-Ho

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users