Frontline Is Back!

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

RedJester #101 Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21654 battles

View Postbravotango, on 15 February 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Well WG, you messed it up again. I stopped playing regularly years ago, then last year I joined the Frontline ranks in June. I missed the first 4, yet I was still able to get to prestige 10 by October. It had great incentives and fun gamemode, but for only 1 week a month there was no pressure to abandon work or family. I was waiting for the new Frontline this year, a much more balanced version of WOT (only tier8 so even my IS6 or Panther8.8 felt useful), but you had to take it away didn't you.

Now we're stuck with 4 FL weeks and 4 SH. Stonks Hunter, a derpy cartoon version of WOT Blitz, because honestly even after 1 battle I thought it was a joke. I remember the times when WG talked about big mixed battles like War Thunder with tanks and planes. Key word: BIG battles.

Oh boy, we're going backwards it seems. Frontline SHOULD be next to randoms as a standard gamemode to move forward. I started this game in beta test and seriously 10 years with no new FUN modes. Just failures in my eyes. Even your big battles are useless, since you can only play in tier 10 tanks.

Just delete the tanks and rewards and make it regular, I'll still play it. Heck I would actually play WOT again, since I'm done with randoms for fun, I just play if I really need money.

Well said buddy, they really messed up something good this time. I am pretty sure it was their most popular game mode too, at least outside randoms.  I also used FL to grind modules  and tier 8 tanks, train crews with boosters, farm credits with boosters and just have fun playing all my tier 8s, even garbage like the T34 a few times. No pressure, just a fun and free mode with great rewards; RUINED! Wargaming, RUINED! :(

blackeyes90 #102 Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32722 battles

View PostRedJester, on 16 February 2020 - 05:29 AM, said:

Well said buddy, they really messed up something good this time. I am pretty sure it was their most popular game mode too, at least outside randoms.  I also used FL to grind modules  and tier 8 tanks, train crews with boosters, farm credits with boosters and just have fun playing all my tier 8s, even garbage like the T34 a few times. No pressure, just a fun and free mode with great rewards; RUINED! Wargaming, RUINED! :(

I wonder how many people actually think this is a good change ? What are they gonna do now ? At least they should allow us to exchange tokens for gold !

Jumping_Turtle #103 Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:51 PM

General

• Player
  • 73440 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postblackeyes90, on 16 February 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

I wonder how many people actually think this is a good change ?

I do. Frontline got repetative and boring after a few episodes. Really struggled to find the motivation to play the last few rounds and I like Steel Hunter, so this mix is fine by me.

blackeyes90 #104 Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32722 battles

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 16 February 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

I do. Frontline got repetative and boring after a few episodes. Really struggled to find the motivation to play the last few rounds and I like Steel Hunter, so this mix is fine by me.

Mixing with Steel Hunter is not the issue here. Its supposed to be 1 FL , 1 SH etc. If WG do it that way it would be much exiciting for players. Why do we have to play Frontline for 4 months before Steel Hunter ? Thats the issue here.

By the way i  liked Steel Hunter more than Frontline.

Edited by blackeyes90, 16 February 2020 - 01:03 PM.

woolfie #105 Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 51174 battles

WG should have kept both games modes as seperate events, there is no need at all to have them linked.

FL should be available as an alternative to random battles at all times.

Jumping_Turtle #106 Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

General

• Player
  • 73440 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postblackeyes90, on 16 February 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

Why do we have to play Frontline for 4 months before Steel Hunter ? Thats the issue here.

I guess that is more about patches and micropatches. Think it is easier for them to run an event for 4 times in a row than to switch it every time. If there is a patch in between they only have to ajust one event and not two. And doing ony one gives them more time to complete the other.

12:33 Added after 7 minute

View Postwoolfie, on 16 February 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

FL should be available as an alternative to random battles at all times.

But we cant have 10 modes all on the same time also.

woolfie #107 Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 51174 battles

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 16 February 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

But we cant have 10 modes all on the same time also.

Actually we could if WG were willing to splash the cash to make it happen.

No-one is asking for 10 modes and we know already 2 modes can run perfectly well alongside each other.

Jumping_Turtle #108 Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

General

• Player
  • 73440 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postwoolfie, on 16 February 2020 - 05:28 PM, said:

No-one is asking for 10 modes and we know already 2 modes can run perfectly well alongside each other.

But we do not all like the same modes. Some like Frontline, some like Steel Hunter, some like Homefront, Some like the Chaffee races, Some like the Karl event, Some like the Halloween event and so on and so on.

peterleteper #109 Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16798 battles
  • [TEK-2] TEK-2

Why is it only 4 Stages????

I was really, REALLY upset to se that the first week is perfectly falling on my holiday, when I'm not gonna be able to play. I don't mind that at all, if I miss one week out of 10 like last year, BUt FOUR FISHING WEEK????? Are you out of your freaking mind??? Last year everything was to nice, so WG had to Fruin up again. What is it? Too expensive to run the servers for frontline? Why the blody F you guys had to reduce so dramatically the playtime?

L0rd_0f_War #110 Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14355 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-

View Postpeterleteper, on 16 February 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

Why is it only 4 Stages????

I was really, REALLY upset to se that the first week is perfectly falling on my holiday, when I'm not gonna be able to play. I don't mind that at all, if I miss one week out of 10 like last year, BUt FOUR FISHING WEEK????? Are you out of your freaking mind??? Last year everything was to nice, so WG had to Fruin up again. What is it? Too expensive to run the servers for frontline? Why the blody F you guys had to reduce so dramatically the playtime?

Yeah, too much of a good thing would just spoil us rotten. We must go back to playing +2mm toxic randoms full of gold spam and OP tanks. How else would we know we are playing WOT, unless we are suffering from blood pressure and frustration. Seriously man, FL was the one thing that brought me back to this game after years in 2019, and WG ruined it in 2020 instead of building on their success. My garage full of tier 8 premiums is only going to see 4 weeks of FL gameplay this first half of the year. Lets hope next year WG finally brings FL back as a regular mode to this game and let us play it for fun anytime we like. Now I just sit and wait and read forums instead of playing WOT. 10 years of Randoms is enough for me, and while Randoms can very much stay in the game, along with all other special modes (which I enjoy far more than Randoms), FL has to be added as a full-fledge regular mode in WOT.

Edited by L0rd_0f_War, 17 February 2020 - 06:26 AM.

Sir_Armand #111 Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22804 battles
  • [FILO2] FILO2
Still no incitament to actually WIN, just the old grindfest where your sole purpose is to maximise the points?
Still a bad format then.
VERY disappointing.

That is a damned shame, since FL brings what I have requested over and over again: Larger maps with less corridors!
FL brings so many cool mechanics that I really like, except for that part about not trying to actually win. Intentionally playing to lose if your own team is winning too fast is a necessity, completely disingenious and utterly boring.

Is WG's only answer to 15-2 3 min blowouts an artificial mode where the players winning intentionally slow down? That is terrible design.

Imagine a "random-FL- mode" working exactly like random, except that you play on bigger maps without (or at least fewer) corridors with combat reserves. Possibly even with multiple objectives. It would be a GREAT format!

We actually wouldn't need artillery...
Then again, I don't feel that arty has the same impact in FL as it does in randoms - probably due to the artillery/other tanks ratio, but probably mostly due to the lack of corridor choke points.
Finally, on FL sized maps, I would like to see it at least tested, to remove viewrange cap. 

woolfie #112 Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 51174 battles

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 16 February 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

But we do not all like the same modes. Some like Frontline, some like Steel Hunter, some like Homefront, Some like the Chaffee races, Some like the Karl event, Some like the Halloween event and so on and so on.

The difference between FL and  those other modes is that I've never seen any players asking for them to be permanently available.

Read through this thread and see how many players have said they would love FL to be a permanent game mode.

Single tier mm and only one arty per team on huge maps...

That seems to be exactly what lots of players using this forum actually want and enjoy!

Jumping_Turtle #113 Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

General

• Player
  • 73440 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postwoolfie, on 17 February 2020 - 12:26 PM, said:

That seems to be exactly what lots of players using this forum actually want and enjoy!

You think it will be still as much liked when it is brought back to a normal mode without the juicy rewards. I already see a lot of complaints that the rewards are stripped down. i think it will get broing quickly for a lot on just two maps and no real reason to play it when there are even less rewards to be won.

Colonello #114 Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 51550 battles
  • [KELA] KELA

View Postparim1331, on 13 February 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

As far as I know, those exact two sites were rebalanced.

Also, for the FL mode, besides the rewards, one can always play it for enjoyment! :)

Well it's pretty hard to play for enjoyment when you can't play the only fun mode left in game for most of the year. And could we pls get option Not to que to that new horrible wintermap, like its fun for anyone when 25% team goes afk on start counter. 

parim1331 #115 Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

Polish Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 8043 battles

View Postblackeyes90, on 14 February 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

We need a clarification on the rewards. Can we get gold by exchanging frontline points or not ? If not this is a huge let down !

As soon as we will have a piece of communication that we will be able to communicate, we surely will. :)

L0rd_0f_War #116 Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14355 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 17 February 2020 - 06:55 AM, said:

You think it will be still as much liked when it is brought back to a normal mode without the juicy rewards. I already see a lot of complaints that the rewards are stripped down. i think it will get broing quickly for a lot on just two maps and no real reason to play it when there are even less rewards to be won.

Rewards are nice and all, but the reason people get hung up on rewards, or complain about rewards in a limited mode is because it is artificially limited to a week long grindfest. It will be worse this year because you can't catch up on a Stage progress if you miss a week in FL. Last year I missed 3-4 full episodes, yet easily completed all 10 prestige lvls (thanks to boosters) with last two episodes to spare (which I played happily for fun and grinding my regular stock Tier 8s). I wish FL could be played on a regular bases, even semi-regular basis like weekends would do, so we don't get burned out by a crazy week long grindfest. Regardless, no one is saying that Randoms should be replaced by FL. Would it be so bad to offer this (in my opinion far superior mode) as an alternative to Randoms? maybe even expand on it by allowing a few more tiers to participate (within their own Tier). I would honestly much rather play FL, for fun, not as a grind, on a more regular basis instead of Randoms after so many years of playing the same Random mode (with all the issues it suffers from lately). BTW, I like all special modes, 7v7, PvE, Racing, Tank Festival, even Steelhunter (somewhat), and really appreciate them in the game, but to me those special modes are 'extras', whereas FL is a fully developed serious game mode, which can be made into so much more than what it is right now. Here's to hoping that WG will eventually hear our cries and introduce this mode as a standard mode to the game in the years to come.

RedJester #117 Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21654 battles

View PostSir_Armand, on 17 February 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

Still no incitament to actually WIN, just the old grindfest where your sole purpose is to maximise the points?
Still a bad format then.
VERY disappointing.

That is a damned shame, since FL brings what I have requested over and over again: Larger maps with less corridors!
FL brings so many cool mechanics that I really like, except for that part about not trying to actually win. Intentionally playing to lose if your own team is winning too fast is a necessity, completely disingenious and utterly boring.

Is WG's only answer to 15-2 3 min blowouts an artificial mode where the players winning intentionally slow down? That is terrible design.

Imagine a "random-FL- mode" working exactly like random, except that you play on bigger maps without (or at least fewer) corridors with combat reserves. Possibly even with multiple objectives. It would be a GREAT format!

We actually wouldn't need artillery...
Then again, I don't feel that arty has the same impact in FL as it does in randoms - probably due to the artillery/other tanks ratio, but probably mostly due to the lack of corridor choke points.
Finally, on FL sized maps, I would like to see it at least tested, to remove viewrange cap. 

I don't agree with this at all, I always attack and try to win on FL. Lights, meds, get in there, get the cap. You get a lot more credits for winning, who the hell is happy with losing? 

RedJester #118 Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21654 battles

View Postparim1331, on 17 February 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

As soon as we will have a piece of communication that we will be able to communicate, we surely will. :)

I have to say I did not play Frontlines in the first year but last year I completed the entire event with a couple of months to spare. I literally had no complaints, no whining about the grind and it was probably my fav game mode. Partly because the rewards were so damn good, each tier, and the tanks, the gold, bonds, and credit boosters you got for prestige 10.

My only question is: Why change something when it was so damn popular and such a great thing? 

4 weeks and nerfed rewards linked to Steel Hunter - which I did not like are all massive negatives for me. :(

woolfie #119 Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 51174 battles

I don't really care much about marathon tank rewards, I simply want access to those freaking huge maps. 

Plus I enjoy the repair and respawn features in FL.

It's disgusting that those huge maps are ready to use and we are not allowed on them, it really does sicken me after waiting years for big maps.

Other special events just don't interest me... unless they will take place on much bigger maps.

There is massive potential for those FL maps, even just by changing the vehicle classes allowed in-battle at different times. 

For example, WG could create a FL mode where two teams have 11 heavies each, 10 mediums and 9 scouts only (no arty and no TDs).

The following week allow 21 mediums and 6 scouts and 3 arty.

Then 10 heavies, 10 TD's and a mix of scouts/meds (no arty).

The possibilities are only limited by the developers imagination and it does not need to be a special/marathon event.

Surely WG devs can come up with a quick way to get us onto those maps.

Parim could you kindly confirm how much time we will be allowed on the big FL maps please, and are the devs aware we are asking for much more than 4 weeks on them?

L0rd_0f_War #120 Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14355 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-
Yeah, I have nine (edit: eleven - just counted in game) Tier 8 premiums, half of which I have never even used in Randoms. I have collected these tier 8 premiums for a grand mode like Frontlines, where having different tier 8s gives flexibility and greater reward for the right choice at the right time. I would pick up more tier 8s if Frontlines was a full-fledged mode, but for 4 weeks, what for. Not like any of my tanks and crews are of any use in modes like Steel Hunter.

Edited by L0rd_0f_War, 19 February 2020 - 06:51 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users