Is it taboo to kill other SPGs as an Arty?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it taboo to kill other SPGs as an Arty? (21 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Is it taboo to kill other SPGs as an Arty?

1. Taboo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Not Taboo (21 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Hide poll

NoisyFridge #1 Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5474 battles
  • [Y0Y0] Y0Y0

I've played my fair share of SPGs, and i can mostly guess where an arty would be shooting from, so sometimes i wait and aim, then at the right time i shoot and kill other arties, it has happened to me as well, though not as much as i do myself. I usually relocate after each shot, move sideways or sometimes backwards and forwards, and that mostly works. 

I really want to know should i stop this or it is fair? 

PS: Sorry if this question has been asked before, but i couldn't find any answer. Or maybe it's a stupid question to ask :trollface:

Thanks. 

Edit: There was a typo in the poll title, i fixed it. Is taboo to kill other SPGs as an Arty? => Is it taboo to kill other SPGs as an Arty?

Edited by NoisyFridge, 15 February 2020 - 02:52 PM.

Homer_J #2 Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

Field Marshal

• 33378 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

It's obligatory if you see a tracer or an enemy arty gets spotted then they are a priority target since they are the only thing which can easily counter you.

NoisyFridge #3 Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5474 battles
  • [Y0Y0] Y0Y0
Thanks, yeah the location can pin pointed by tracing back the smoke you see for a very short time after shell is fired. 

Orkbert #4 Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29036 battles
If it's mid-tiers and the enemy has a LeFH counter battery is almost mandatory. With it's short reload of less than seven seconds the tracers can get spotted easily and your teammates on the front will surely appreciate if the enemy LeFH can't utilize its high RoF because it has to relocate after every shot and/or its reload got slowed down because you stunned it, even if you might not be able to kill it easily (it has good armor for an arty)

Gremlin182 #5 Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 60936 battles

Its also why you should not knock down trees to form a nice nest for your SPG and why you should move frequently.

Maybe not every shot but after my second I am definitely relocating.

jack_timber #6 Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:22 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 42884 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Counter battery, in my mind, is obligatory especially when you have a long reload. So no it's not taboo but part of the game that's why I move after every shot.

Gruff_ #7 Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24318 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Of course it's not taboo, as long as they are on the red team stamp your authority!

Darth_Clicker #8 Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:16 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 63771 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE
I actually wish WG would encourage counter arty by giving xp bonuses or bonds etc for counter arty.  I think a lot of players don't play counter arty because the potential for damage dealt or assisted damage is relatively low when compared to a tank target.

trispect #9 Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35696 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 19 February 2020 - 07:16 AM, said:

I actually wish WG would encourage counter arty by giving xp bonuses or bonds etc for counter arty.  I think a lot of players don't play counter arty because the potential for damage dealt or assisted damage is relatively low when compared to a tank target.

This plus maybe adding map indicator when arty is shooting. This would make counter arty much more viable instead of randomly trying to spot tracers. 

woolfie #10 Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 50710 battles

View Posttrispect, on 19 February 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

This plus maybe adding map indicator when arty is shooting. This would make counter arty much more viable instead of randomly trying to spot tracers. 

Not this. Many maps are too small for higher tier arties to relocate too far after firing, and there are a limited number of viable positions for arty already.

Your idea would be fine on larger maps, not on current maps.

Anyone who plays arty regularly will know most of the viable locations already and if they want to counter-arty it's not that hard to find.

As Darth said above, WG should increase rewards for sucessfully countering enemy arty and surely more players would do it.

The arty mechanics atm are not good for counter-arty play because rarely will you get a one shot kill firing at an arty tracer.

And after taking some damage/splash the now-alert enemy arty relocates after each shot making it almost impossible to get a second hit.

trispect #11 Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35696 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY

View Postwoolfie, on 19 February 2020 - 12:39 PM, said:

Anyone who plays arty regularly will know most of the viable locations already and if they want to counter-arty it's not that hard to find.

Where's the problem then? SPG's need more threat to themselves opposing to the near risk free gameplay they are enjoying currently. 

Darth_Clicker #12 Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 63771 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View Posttrispect, on 19 February 2020 - 02:19 PM, said:

Where's the problem then? SPG's need more threat to themselves opposing to the near risk free gameplay they are enjoying currently. 

In my opinion, it would be too easy if I was alerted by the game from which quadrant enemy arty fired.  I find it very helpful when my team mates give me arty locations when they are hit by enemy arty.  I think that since it is a team game, then I need to communicate with my team and ask them for arty locations when they are hit.

This brought another idea to my mind.  I don't always play counter arty.  Most of the time I do, but not always.  The reasons that I don't are usually either because I am in a short reload arty like a Leffy or I am in an arty with limited range, like Bishop.  Bishop/FV304 are probably the hardest to counter because the locations are not so certain....in my opinion.  I don't think WG should do anything to make counter arty play against these three artys any easier.  Unless they make the feature only applicable to lower tiers for training purposes.  And once you are past tier 5 then the "help" doesn't work.

Another reason, and probably the most common one, that I don't play counter arty is because I am currently focused on marks of excellence.  I think there should be a counter arty aspect to arty MOE.  If I shoot a full health Maus, do the tiny bit of damage allowed against such a beast's armor, but leave it stunned, I have a chance to add 3000 hit points to my current MOE calculation.  But if I instead shoot the enemy GW E100 I have a chance to add 550 hit points.  I can imagine that I am definitely the rare player that is working on MOE on artys, so I understand that a change like this probably wouldn't entice many to play counter arty more.....but it would me.

Give arty more XP and credits for each enemy arty destroyed.  Give a bonus multiplier for the second and third enemy arty destroyed.  Also, award bonds for the Counter Battery Fire award.

Ulodwor #13 Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26697 battles

I would maybe not go that far. Perhaps unfortunately  But let me put it this way, when playing artillery I will immediately blacklist any and all artillery players targeting me while I'm not spotted. This serves two purposes. First of all I'll be warned, should I ever encounter this opponent playing artillery again. Secondly, as there is currently no way to discriminate between players on the blacklist, this person will be placed among the worst cretins and dregs of this game on my blacklist and so perhaps one day I may be able to dispense proper justice onto this regrettable individual. 

Edited by Ulodwor, 21 February 2020 - 04:13 AM.

Darth_Clicker #14 Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:23 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 63771 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostUlodwor, on 21 February 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

I would maybe not go that far. Perhaps unfortunately  But let me put it this way, when playing artillery I will immediately blacklist any and all artillery players targeting me while I'm not spotted. This serves two purposes. First of all I'll be warned, should I ever encounter this opponent playing artillery again. Secondly, as there is currently no way to discriminate between players on the blacklist, this person will be placed among the worst cretins and dregs of this game on my blacklist and so perhaps one day I may be able to dispense proper justice onto this regrettable individual. 

Just curious, why do you think it is wrong for me to play counter arty against you?  You say that you may be able to "dispense proper justice onto" me. 

Orkbert #15 Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:19 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29036 battles

View PostUlodwor, on 21 February 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

Thank you for showing everyone yet another example of how the blacklist should NOT be used.

Ulodwor #16 Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26697 battles

View PostOrkbert, on 21 February 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

Thank you for showing everyone yet another example of how the blacklist should NOT be used.

And why would that be? As already mentioned it will grant me an advantage by providing me a reminder and a warning of how this blacklisted player might behave. Granted a marginal game play advantage but still, does not everyone appreciate an advantage?

Perhaps you feel it would be unfair to blacklist a player who has not broken any explicit rules, a player which has done nothing which would justify a report according to the rules of conduct as stated by Wargaming? 

You'd be correct that an artillery player using tracers to target other artillery players does not break any rules and could indeed be said to merely be exercising his right to express himself within the rules of the game. At this point I'd however have to point out that blacklisting a player for using tracers to target other artillery players or blacklisting a player for any other reason at all also does not break any rules of this game.

When I or anyone else decides to blacklist a player for using tracers to target other artillery players and subsequently when given a chance decides to focus fire this blacklisted player we could be said to merely exercise our rights to express ourselves within the rules of this game. 

As should be evident no rules has been broken by anyone in these examples, so there should be no real problem here, no errant behaviour to to complain about or condemn.  

Obviously one can no longer communicate with an individual on the blacklist but I don't see why I'd want a conversation with some random player. It just does not seem like a problem to me or anyone else if this line of communication is closed. As already established there have been no rules broken and I certainly would not want to message this player merely to convey negativity about his actions. Also I have no interest whatsoever in trying to somehow persuade this player to change his ways, frankly I could hardly imagine a bigger waste of time. 

Edited by Ulodwor, 21 February 2020 - 08:13 PM.

Ulodwor #17 Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26697 battles

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 21 February 2020 - 06:23 AM, said:

Just curious, why do you think it is wrong for me to play counter arty against you?  You say that you may be able to "dispense proper justice onto" me. 

First of all I'd like to clarify that I have no issues with anyone targeting spotted artillery and I do that myself whenever suitable. Though enemy artillery with their low hit points and tendency to be wiped out within seconds of being spotted will often be quite low on my target priority list. I would also not necessarily claim it would be wrong to for you to target artillery by spotting tracers. It would certainly not break any rules of this game. Which at the same time does not mean I'd appreciate you spotting tracers to target me or that I'd waive my right to appropriately respond to such behaviour of yours, again of course within the rules of this game. 

I find spotting tracers very boring myself and like you yourself seem to suggest, less like than rewarding in terms damage done and experience. Hence I often can't be bothered to spot for tracers even when some unfortunate hit me right after I've fired and obviously was waiting for a trace to target me. Instead find it more rewarding to observe an unofficial, undeclared truce between myself and the enemy artillery. Yes, they can tell where I'm likely to be as I can tell where they'll likely be. But if I don't try to spot their fire to target them, then perhaps they won't target me and then maybe, just maybe we can actually have a good, entertaining and rewarding game instead. 

I do find it quite annoying to be targeted by enemy artillery spotting tracers. It degrades my game experience and the end result in terms of XP and so on. Also there is an urge to respond appropriately to this affront. And while I can't say there is anything wrong with artillery players targeting my tracers, nor can I say there is anything wrong with my blacklisting them and focusing them at every opportunity I get henceforth.

So it's all good. Just a bunch of players exercising their right to express themselves within the rules of this game.       

Edited by Ulodwor, 21 February 2020 - 09:07 PM.

Venom7000 #18 Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8165 battles

Lol what kind of question is that?
Is it an ally? No
Is there team damage? No

Is it an enemy? Yes
Does he technically exist to kill you? Yes

I despise playing arty. I only do it for the dreadful missions. I make it my mission to look for shell traces while reloading. Killing enemy arty is the only way I can live with myself while playing the very same.

p.s- Whats next? Is it taboo to shoot/kill tracked tank?

Edited by Venom7000, 21 February 2020 - 09:34 PM.

Darth_Clicker #19 Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:44 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 63771 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostUlodwor, on 21 February 2020 - 09:03 PM, said:

First of all I'd like to clarify that I have no issues with anyone targeting spotted artillery and I do that myself whenever suitable. Though enemy artillery with their low hit points and tendency to be wiped out within seconds of being spotted will often be quite low on my target priority list. I would also not necessarily claim it would be wrong to for you to target artillery by spotting tracers. It would certainly not break any rules of this game. Which at the same time does not mean I'd appreciate you spotting tracers to target me or that I'd waive my right to appropriately respond to such behaviour of yours, again of course within the rules of this game. 

I find spotting tracers very boring myself and like you yourself seem to suggest, less like than rewarding in terms damage done and experience. Hence I often can't be bothered to spot for tracers even when some unfortunate hit me right after I've fired and obviously was waiting for a trace to target me. Instead find it more rewarding to observe an unofficial, undeclared truce between myself and the enemy artillery. Yes, they can tell where I'm likely to be as I can tell where they'll likely be. But if I don't try to spot their fire to target them, then perhaps they won't target me and then maybe, just maybe we can actually have a good, entertaining and rewarding game instead. 

I do find it quite annoying to be targeted by enemy artillery spotting tracers. It degrades my game experience and the end result in terms of XP and so on. Also there is an urge to respond appropriately to this affront. And while I can't say there is anything wrong with artillery players targeting my tracers, nor can I say there is anything wrong with my blacklisting them and focusing them at every opportunity I get henceforth.

So it's all good. Just a bunch of players exercising their right to express themselves within the rules of this game.       

You are correct, I don't normally put hunting tracers as a high priority.  

If you promise me here and now that you will not shoot me or any of my team when you are enemy arty, then I will promise to never hunt your tracers.  If we make this pact hear in the sacred arty forum, it will definitely be binding and enforcable. :trollface:   Until you agree to this, trust that I will be watching.  I will be doing my job to protect my team from you. :izmena:

woolfie #20 Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 50710 battles

View Posttrispect, on 19 February 2020 - 02:19 PM, said:

Yolo players in wheeled vehicles are enough threat to arty already so let's not give them the exact map co-ordinates each time an arty fires.

Moving 30m or 40m is usually enough to avoid counter-arty fire, but it's not enough to dodge WV's who know what map square you are on.

Like I said, above most of the maps are not big enough to allow high tier arty to relocate safely to another viable position and movement is limited to a few dozen metres at times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users