Crazy idea: One more Sandbox New Balance test without premium ammo

Sandbox New Balance

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Crazy idea: One more Sandbox New Balance test without premium ammo (35 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should WG implement another SB iteration of NB with premium ammo removed?

1. Yes. Great idea (19 votes [54.29%])

Percentage of vote: 54.29%

2. No. Bad idea (13 votes [37.14%])

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

3. Dont care. Whats the use anyway? (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Would you participate in SB NB test with premium ammo removed?

1. Yes. Would be interesting to see how tanks perform under these circumstances (22 votes [62.86%])

Percentage of vote: 62.86%

2. No thanks. (10 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Maybe; if the rewards are worth it (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Hide poll

undutchable80 #1 Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14276 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hiya tankers!

One thing about the Sandbox I never understood was the availability of gold/premium/special ammo, especially during times when new tanks / lines were about to be introduced to give them the last round of testing before receiving potential updates prior to live release. Since you also have a gazillion of credits available, generally any SB test is a goldspam-fiesta. Basically WG measure the combat effectiveness with how well those tanks perform vs premium ammo: Oh, its pennable by pressing “2”; its fine and balanced.

With the current iteration, I understand its availability since the proposed changes will impact ALL ammo types. However, what I don’t understand is that WG will address rebalancing tanks accordingly until sometime after the New Balance goes live, in order to gather data on vehicles performances. Especially when there are already clear cut examples of buffs and nerfs that will need to happen. Some tanks standard ammo you can buff to 5000 alpha, you will still have a hard time to pen tanks and will still rely on that premium ammo to do damage (albeit less, which means you will have to spam more). And some tanks can already be predicted to benefit greatly from this update and will become stronger for the time that WG is gathering that data. 

So, to help you gather some data already, here is a crazy idea WG: do one more Sandbox test in the coming months, but remove premium ammo for the test. Test how tanks perform with and against standard (and HE(SH)) ammo only, so you can gather some preliminary information and start with the rebalancing already on those tanks that will blatantly over-/underperform. And introduce those changes at the same time as the NB update. Don’t wait until the update goes live and wait 6 months before nerfing Obj430U armour layout for example, or buff the T54’s standard pen so it’s not HEAT reliant anymore.

“But Dutch, why would anyone play SB if they cant spam premium ammo?” 
Good question, obviously a good incentive (i.e. reward) should be made available to entice as many players as possible to participate in that test. More than a badge and a few days of premium time at least. I dunno, full BiA crew maybe? Gold maybe? T8 premium tank? Maybe you guys (and gals) will have a good suggestion what would get you to play that SB test (but keep it real - no requests for a (golden) Waffle ;)).

“How are you going to ensure all the tanks get played though? Wont everyone just play those strong(er) meta tanks and ignore some really crappy ones?”
Also a good question. WG could temporarily, and only for this test, remove all Tier 6+ tanks from the SB client and assign everyone 10 T6+ tanks with a 10 game rental each, including (CW) Reward tanks (but only for the SB test!) to play. Diversify tiers and tanks players get, so all the tanks get represented and hopefully played. Play 100 battles in those rentals and get the ultimate reward. Maybe even get a smaller reward each time you finish playing a rental?

Fire away fellow forumites. Good idea? Crazy idea? Dumb idea?

Kind regards,
Dutch

vixu #2 Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 46389 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
I'd say that it is possible to play w/o gold ammo. I almost never use it, and I cant say that it is a major factor for me. 

However, it might be so that because of gold  ammo many players prefer paper tanks instead of armor (cause gold de-valuates armor quite a bit). W/O gold ammo there will be much more heavy tanks and that may create an issue with many maps especially with +-2 tier spread.

tajj7 #3 Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Already happened a while back in a sandbox server, we had Maus tanks and Type 5s (before the derp gun) spending 15 minutes shooting HE at each other and trying to flank each other, even though they went the same very slow speed, it was fun and engaging gameplay. 

Cobra6 #4 Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16609 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

It won't happen because that would show how truly unbalanced this game really is at the moment.

You know, since all heavy armor had their viable weak spots removed or up-armored to slightly above same tier standard penetration levels.

Cobra 6

undutchable80 #5 Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14276 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postvixu, on 19 February 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

However, it might be so that because of gold  ammo many players prefer paper tanks instead of armor (cause gold de-valuates armor quite a bit). W/O gold ammo there will be much more heavy tanks and that may create an issue with many maps especially with +-2 tier spread.

This is part of the concerns some players have if the current test goes live, since its argued (and I agree) that the new meta will be to play well-armoured tanks with good base pen

View PostCobra6, on 19 February 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

It won't happen because that would show how truly unbalanced this game really is at the moment.

You know, since all heavy armor had their viable weak spots removed or up-armored to slightly above same tier standard penetration levels.

Cobra 6

I know I may be idealistic, but it would prove exactly that. Why wait for 6 months to collect data, making the playerbase suffer for something that can be tested in advance...

Homer_J #6 Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Didn't we have a sandbox a while ago where you could only buy premium ammo for gold and they limited the gold supply?

_Anarchistic_ #7 Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49235 battles

it does seem bizarre to make any test where there is not a game relevant frame work, allowing unlimited credits, full gold, etc will never give results that are relevant.  268v4 proves that

likewise having spend quite a few sessions on the current sandbox the relevance to testing seems lost on me as the later it got into the test the more gold ammo was getting fired every game, which either shows the server is a waste of time or that the future of WOT is an even bigger money grab by WG

Cobra6 #8 Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16609 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postundutchable80, on 19 February 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

I know I may be idealistic, but it would prove exactly that. Why wait for 6 months to collect data, making the playerbase suffer for something that can be tested in advance...

Because WG does not want to address the actual issue (terrible armor balancing and over the years making gold ammo more and more compulsory) as the actual issue is a cash cow for them.

View PostHomer_J, on 19 February 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

Didn't we have a sandbox a while ago where you could only buy premium ammo for gold and they limited the gold supply?

Yeah we did, that was the first ammo sandbox I think.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 19 February 2020 - 02:13 PM.

Gruff_ #9 Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24722 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Despite being in the Dingers, my F2P instincts restrict me from using as much gold ammo as get's shot at me,  a totally prem ammo free test would be interesting

Homer_J #10 Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:40 AM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostGruff_, on 19 February 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

Despite being in the Dingers, my F2P instincts restrict me from using as much gold ammo as get's shot at me,  a totally prem ammo free test would be interesting

It was, I drove my Maus straight across the middle of Steppes.

The ideas from that sandbox were not carried forward either.

_Anarchistic_ #11 Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49235 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 20 February 2020 - 12:40 AM, said:

It was, I drove my Maus straight across the middle of Steppes.

The ideas from that sandbox were not carried forward either.

so armour was relevant, sounds promising

how the rest of the game go?

Balc0ra #12 Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76387 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I can already tell you what will happen. The defender will do better. IS-6 will do worse. As they pointed out in their announcement. They did notice low pen tanks doing worse in even the last test. And if they can't even press 2? The only thing it will prove is what tanks need a normal ammo buff.

Or as pointed out, the inevitable super heavy corner action.

Homer_J #13 Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:39 AM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 19 February 2020 - 11:48 PM, said:

so armour was relevant, sounds promising

Well if you think being able to drive across the middle of an open map unopposed and cap is going to improve gameplay then yes, it was fantastic. :sceptic:

Spurtung #14 Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:04 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78599 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostBalc0ra, on 19 February 2020 - 11:55 PM, said:

the inevitable super heavy corner action.

Sounds kinky.

_Anarchistic_ #15 Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49235 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 20 February 2020 - 01:39 AM, said:

Well if you think being able to drive across the middle of an open map unopposed and cap is going to improve gameplay then yes, it was fantastic. :sceptic:

if armour is to be relevant then why not?  did several ht missions I kv4 just driving up water side in kv4 on malinovka

if the opposition had brains they perma track you and you get farmed or just aim at your LFP

but I guess just pressing 2 key and making armour irrelevant  is good gameplay :facepalm:

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 20 February 2020 - 11:16 AM.

Also tagged with Sandbox, New Balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users