WG should impose a limit on map pings to stop spammers who ruin gameplay

pings chat spamming

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Wrinkly #41 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 51520 battles
I ping the map quite a lot. It's so frustrating to see scouts camping at the back, meds camping in TD positions or team mates running away from the fight rather than helping. I's not map pings that ruin game play, it's the toxic game play of the [removed] teams WG's match maker keeps dishing out.

Edited by Homer_J, 21 February 2020 - 03:46 PM.
Language

Jumping_Turtle #42 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

General

• Player
  • 73290 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostWrinkly, on 21 February 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

I's not map pings that ruin game play

Yes it is.

mpf1959 #43 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34084 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostWrinkly, on 21 February 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

I ping the map quite a lot. It's so frustrating to see scouts camping at the back, meds camping in TD positions or team mates running away from the fight rather than helping. I's not map pings that ruin game play, it's the toxic game play of the r*tard teams WG's match maker keeps dishing out.

As is you're right to do, but have you ever wondered if they actually know what you're ping is trying to convey?

Added to that all the other pings from other pingers giving their instruction, and so no one takes a blind bit of notice. It's a bit like the barking of dogs n a large kennels, they all bark, but [edited]knows what or why! :teethhappy:

Erwin_Von_Braun #44 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 44396 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 20 February 2020 - 07:53 PM, said:

Chat isn't usually a problem.  Map pinging is, often.

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 20 February 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Does that help against mappingers ? Since having a chatban still allows them to mapping like crazy

My bad - thought it blocked map pings too, turns out it doesn't.

:hiding:

tajj7 #45 Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

'Ruin Gameplay' seems like making mountains out of molehills IMO, they are little irritating but quite easy to ignore.

Just block for the battle, it takes like two seconds and I am not buying people lose games or die because of this, that is people making excuses again that in reality have no real impact on why they failed.

Plus map ping is a pretty important tool in the battle in teams that often share no common language. 

Erwin_Von_Braun #46 Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 44396 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttajj7, on 21 February 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

'Ruin Gameplay' seems like making mountains out of molehills IMO, they are little irritating but quite easy to ignore.

Just block for the battle, it takes like two seconds and I am not buying people lose games or die because of this, that is people making excuses again that in reality have no real impact on why they failed.

Plus map ping is a pretty important tool in the battle in teams that often share no common language. 

You're a 'serious' player - you must realise that games can often be decided by the smallest of margins.

Getting distracted at critical points in the game by some angry, bad tempered child can make all the difference.

Map pinging is an 'important tool' - rubbish - utter rubbish - six years playing this game and I could count the instances of positive post-mortem comms on one hand.

Jumping_Turtle #47 Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 73290 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Posttajj7, on 21 February 2020 - 03:10 PM, said:

How would that be important in random battles when I have no clue if the mappinger is a 41% wannabee or a 65% unicum.

And besides that, 99% just pings and does nothing else. How am I suppose to know what he means with that ping.

Is he angry

Is he just bored

does he want me to follow him

does he want me to fall back

Should we push

Should we cap

I am fine and understand it that it is used and handy in teambattles, clanbattles or other teambased where you know the guys in your team, but in random it serves no point at all and is just annoying. And I am fine if others will want to keep and use it, but give me an option to turn it off for me only

Homer_J #48 Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttajj7, on 21 February 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

There have been occasions when I have missed taking a shot due to having to block someone.  Or I have had to stop driving for a moment and as a result not reached a key point on the map as quickly.  Or even had to detour into cover, block someone, then it has been too late to continue to the spot I had been heading to.  Imagine Mines and all your fast tanks ducking behind the hill to block some ping spammer at the start.

tajj7 #49 Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 21 February 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

How would that be important in random battles when I have no clue if the mappinger is a 41% wannabee or a 65% unicum.

And besides that, 99% just pings and does nothing else. How am I suppose to know what he means with that ping.

Is he angry

Is he just bored

does he want me to follow him

does he want me to fall back

Should we push

Should we cap

I am fine and understand it that it is used and handy in teambattles, clanbattles or other teambased where you know the guys in your team, but in random it serves no point at all and is just annoying. And I am fine if others will want to keep and use it, but give me an option to turn it off for me only

Because a lot of the time its pretty obvious, like look this flank is completely empty, or look these guys need to push, especially if you then combine it with some simple chat or one of the other commands like 'follow me' or something typed in chat, like you ping a spot on the map and say X tank here because you have taken a shot from them.

It has plenty of uses in random and the constant pinging is rare my experience that this 'problem' is minor at best. 

Would much rather WG focused on other stuff to improve the game that minor little issues like that. 

15:20 Added after 3 minute

View PostHomer_J, on 21 February 2020 - 02:51 PM, said:

There have been occasions when I have missed taking a shot due to having to block someone.  Or I have had to stop driving for a moment and as a result not reached a key point on the map as quickly.  Or even had to detour into cover, block someone, then it has been too late to continue to the spot I had been heading to.  Imagine Mines and all your fast tanks ducking behind the hill to block some ping spammer at the start.

Just ignore it for until you have time, it's really very minor, like I said people making mountains out of molehills, how small are the screens you people are playing on, its off to the side, if you are paying attention to what you are doing and the mini-map you don't even see it and the noise is pretty easy to deal with for 10-15s until you get into cover or whatever. 

Plus it's rare you are making out like people constantly ping all game and ever game, they don't, you barely see more than a handful of pings in a game and most of the time its people trying to communicate something and point out positions on the map or defend the base or to wake up completely passive players on your team. You get a few pings and people move on.

The guys who spam it over and over are pretty rare and you can block for them for the battle, not seeing any more need than that. 

Jumping_Turtle #50 Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

General

• Player
  • 73290 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Posttajj7, on 21 February 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

Would much rather WG focused on other stuff to improve the game that minor little issues like that. 

Like some useless anonimizer

DangerMouse #51 Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 31301 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG
Just right click block for this battle, takes seconds, no need for WG to waste their precious developers time fixing it.

Gruff_ #52 Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24725 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I am a habitual pinger, Z radial menu user & typer of info, anything that helps people move to a better location or focus guns/beware of an area. :B

Homer_J #53 Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttajj7, on 21 February 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

Just ignore it for until you have time, it's really very minor, like I said people making mountains out of molehills, how small are the screens you people are playing on, its off to the side, if you are paying attention to what you are doing and the mini-map you don't even see it and the noise is pretty easy to deal with for 10-15s until you get into cover or whatever. 

Playing on 1080 but the screen space isn't the issue, it's the self entitled pingitty ping ping.  And there's a psychological effect, why should I bother playing my best for people who are deliberately annoying me?

You clearly have a high tolerance for them, I don't but others also have a low tolerance for people playing badly compared to me.  The difference is that people playing badly mostly don't know any better, map ping spammers are being deliberately annoying and do not care how many people they annoy for the sake of getting a message across (which they will invariably fail to do anyway) to one person.

It's not hard to put in a limit on ping spamming, there are mods doing it already, just incorporate one of those into the game.  The idea that it will impact "more important" work is nonsense.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #54 Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31972 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 19 February 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

Pingspam is a byproduct of chatbans.

That would explain it because by constantly pinging they effectively block the team chat. They get a report from me for unsportmanlike conduct when they do that persistently.

Also tagged with pings, chat, spamming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users