Spotting Mechanics, few thoughts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49178 battles

So I am starting to get irritated by a few things and the way the spotting mechanics are implemented

1st--    Arty related.  You kill the tank spotting you but arty can track you and shoot you no matter how far you go or how you drive.  Now often you might still be getting spotted by another tank but if you have killed the tank spotting then it can be really frustrating getting artied 2 or more squares later, perhaps remove direct sight and have to aim on minimap?  see point 3 to balance

2nd    blocked line of sight,  again happy to be spotted by 1 tank, but if you are sitting back of map with line of sight blocked by acres of cover should you still be able to get an outline?  blind shooting fine, using mini map fine but if your line of sight blocked??

3rd    general lack of view range in open topped tanks and low tier vehicles.   Nothing worse than low tiers trying to break a hard camp in the current terrible maps, or having a TD with no view range.  An IS3 etc makes sense, but a Hellcat etc?  nothing beats the MK1 eyeball, so perhaps give more view range or make binos a standard piece of equipment?  also regarding arty, boost its view range so it CAN use gun sight directly when it has line of sight, balances point 1

4th    camo after firing/double bushing especially large calibre guns,  these things destroy any cover in front of them, literally burning away any bushes yet in game an FV215B or JPE100 can still keep its cover at stupidly close ranges, like wise any tank (for example) on steppes can farm the 0 line.  Is it time to tweak the camo after firing mechanics?

we have seen so many complaints about the 1.0 maps and cover so is it time to rework the mechanics a bit?  make players actually have an unhindered line of sight on the target, and make them move more by increasing camo penalty after firing?  They cans till spot, pull back and fire through a bush but just make the game a bit more active

and re arty, remove direct sighting of targets unless they have direct sight themselves with a buffed view range to give them balance?

anyway, just chucking a few thoughts out to see what you guys think

Richthoffen #2 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32013 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

after breaking line of sight you will remain visible for 10 seconds, being able to see an outline trough soft cover is the way the game works regarding radio range and spotting.

viewrange is also a balance parameter, this results in TD's being blind, I agree this is just annoying.

after firing all natural camo in a 15 m radius is removed double bushing or moving back before firing counters this and has been part of the game for years

Balc0ra #3 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76382 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

1: Even if you were de-spotted instantly. They can still "guess" your path and blind fire. Even if they only could aim on the mini-map.

2: Just because your sight doesn't see anything, don't mean your other spot lines are showing, inc the cupola. Thus most can still hit you if you don't see them directly, or you seeing them.

3: See the PaK40? A tier 3 TD with 400m base view range. Or the D-max that can get to over 500 easy. Pre nerf TD's. As they had more view range before. But their role is not spotting, it's support fire. Thus they rely on binocs and crew skills to get good range. My Hellcat has 491 atm. As the 500+ m view range TD's before on even tier 3 or 5 made moving around a bit tricky. Even as a scout with camo on the move.

4: It's an arcade game, fire destroying cover would... complicate things for most I suspect. And tbh they do get 2% camo after firing. But if they are even 300m behind the double bush that's between you and him, that's still an 80% factor they keep vs your sightlines. It's why most wait to fire until you move towards such cover. It still gonna work both ways even with that fix.

Edited by Balc0ra, 21 February 2020 - 02:06 PM.

_Anarchistic_ #4 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49178 battles

View PostRichthoffen, on 21 February 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

after breaking line of sight you will remain visible for 10 seconds, being able to see an outline trough soft cover is the way the game works regarding radio range and spotting.

viewrange is also a balance parameter, this results in TD's being blind, I agree this is just annoying.

after firing all natural camo in a 15 m radius is removed double bushing or moving back before firing counters this and has been part of the game for years

I get the mechanics, just wonder if after 1.0 maps they might need a rework and re arty its getting to really wind me up now, especially with the buffed stun mechanics etc

its just getting very boring with the ultra hard camping maps, especially prok or malinovka and I am just thinking of how to make the game more dynamic

obviously reworking the maps to the old style be better but that's a ton of work and will never happen so just trying a few random ideas that might be benefiacial to the game?  you know, constructive thining rather than just ranting for once:hiding:

13:10 Added after 1 minute

View PostBalc0ra, on 21 February 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

1: Even if you were de-spotted instantly. They can still "guess" your path and blind fire. Even if they only could aim on the mini-map.

2: Just because your sight doesn't see anything, don't mean your other spot lines are showing, inc the cupola. Thus most can still hit you if you don't see them directly, or you seeing them.

3: See the PaK40? A tier 3 TD with 400m base view range. Or the D-max that can get to over 500 easy. Pre nerf TD's. As they had more view range before. But their role is not spotting, it's support fire. Thus they rely on binocs and crew skills to get good range. My Hellcat has 491 atm. As the 500+ m view range TD's before on even tier 3 or 5 made moving around a bit tricky. Even as a scout with camo on the move.

4: It's an arcade game, fire destroying cover would... complicate things for most I suspect. And tbh they do get 2% camo after firing. But if they are even 300m behind the double bush that's between you and him, that's still an 80% factor they keep vs your sightlines. It's why most wait to fire until you move towards such cover. It still gonna work both ways even with that fix.

or perhaps only scouts get to keep you spotted for 10/12 seconds, other on say 5 seconds, enough time to spot and double bush to fire but not much more?

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 21 February 2020 - 02:19 PM.

Flicka #5 Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23674 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

"or perhaps only scouts get to keep you spotted for 10/12 seconds, other on say 5 seconds, enough time to spot and double bush to fire but not much more?"

Honestly something like that might be a good idea to make scouts more viable, not sure if it can be done or how numbers would be tweaked.

And especially with the skill Designated Target in game, but maybe after rework.

A change how spotting works as reference to being spoted would bring up an unknown factor to the game, where you cant tell if you are still spoted, so thats a problem.

But as an idea it aint that bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users