Mod Packs? Worth revisiting? What can they offer todays players?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

SastusBulbas #1 Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36561 battles

I live under a rock these days, three lovely kids, long away for work hours IE out over 12h, her that removes all fun.

I used some mods occasionally years ago when playing well meant something to me, I wanted to do well in CW etc, wanted to and was improving. That was a long time ago, I'm half the player I was, an auld git, sometimes my lad betters me. Genuine reasons for stats in steady decline since quitting clans etc, inc work, stress, injuries, faceplanting the keyboard and rolling my face around gameplay.

So having not seen or used a mod or mod pack in years, I was wondering if any of those mod packs are worth looking at again, I used to use a select few out of Aslains, to be honest the hot girls standing around at the battle results would probably be scrutinised more than WN8, and HD mini maps were ok, we have battle results and a double carousel now, and with a messed up right hand my hit rate has dropped over 20% anyway so unsure if I would bother with fancy huds.

I remember I used XVM and stat mods in garage to see WN8 and used to push to increase that finding that tool handy, though it would take a lot to get me pushing that envelope again, it may help my lad count his in game performance. In garage clock and gold tanks on the carousel too.

Biggest worry I had was quite simply I never ever want to risk geting a ban, nor him, I have invested a lot into this game and he has spent some pocket money and received gifts and done marathons with me.

So with that in mind, are Aslains or QB mod packs recommended, is XVM a thing still, the in game and end of game WN8 mods I cant remember the name of, but it would be nice to see my days win rate, WN8 or whatever it is today, and may give him a number to beat me on. I have killed him a few times in game, he spotted my TD once for his team, so there is a bit of a dark edge creeping in there, I think he wants to blow my tanks up :ohmy:

Really out of touch with what mods are beneficial for session WN8 stats in game and after, if XVM is worthwhile, or it still best to avoid mods and try and relearn the maps and gameplay.

TomatoShooter #2 Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1136 battles
Just avoid them. Vanilla is good enough, it also has session stats including tanks-per-session stats. WN8 is overrated anyway. Focus on your own gameplay, consider all enemies ESL pro players and all friendlies beginners, dont die or throw away your hp in the first 2 minutes, try do your own hp in dmg and you should be fine.

Edited by TomatoShooter, 24 February 2020 - 01:50 PM.

HerrWizo #3 Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40136 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

It all depends on what you need, but nowadays a substantial number of players still use XVM, Aslains is the most popular. From there, you can customize what you really want to have ingame. There are many mods which should, IMO, be made a part of the base client (such as auto crew and equipment transfer, lock free exp, gold and bonds spending, ingame MoE viewer, Battlehits which displays where you got hit and where you have been hitting them after the battle in 3D, and so on).

Not that you cannot do without all of that, but some of them really do make life easier.

mpf1959 #4 Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34186 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT
Mods are great, I use Aslains pack, there is so many things that I cannot get from the game alone. God bless the mod writers!

Tommy_Atkins_Teapot #5 Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24966 battles

Dear SastusBulbas,

The Mod hub contains all sorts, from Full bore Mod packs, to tinsel tank kits probably. 

As this area is provided by WG for Mod developers, i would be highly surprised if you came by an illegal mod.

Stopped using a few Mods purely for the continuous maintenance required.

With regards the "Dark edge" creeping into the game, i used to get a "clip round the ear" when getting to "edgy" ;)

Regards

Tommy.

Strappster #6 Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29234 battles

The official mod portal contains everything you might need and more, from tank skins through to full packs such as Aslain's. All mods are checked for legality by WG before being listed so there's no chance you'll end up using something you shouldn't. These are the mods I find most useful ...

• MoE Extended - MoE progress tracking; I find it more useful than WN8 for gauging how I'm performing in a tank (generally badly but that's why I downloaded it, can't get gudder if you don't know where you're starting from).
  • LegionLost Crosshair - alternate reticle that I find easier to use than the standard options.
  • Enemy Spotted Status - puts a marker next to enemy tanks in the player panel showing if they've been spotted or not, saves scanning the minimap for the same information.
  • Auto Equipment - swaps movable equipment (binos, net, toolbox) between tanks automatically.

One further mod that's not on the portal as a standalone but is included in several packs is Battle Hits. That's the mod you might have seen on streams where you can see where each shell hit your tank or where you hit enemy tanks. It's included in the WG Essentials mod pack as well as multiple others, though a quick google should find it if you don't want to download a pack to install it. I won't link that one as it's hosted on a Russian website and I don't know if all the other mods on there are legit.

Battle Hits Sample Image ...

Richthoffen #7 Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

Major

• Player
  • 32145 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

Aslain user here,

in hangar clock

hardscope gun scope (cosmetic but prefer it over the standard)

yellow warning sign (more visible then the standard lightbulb)

displaying both server side and client side reticle (to adjust for lag)

beter hitlog

nicer and completer after battle stats

last spotted location and death tanks on minimap

automatic crew return, equipment return, gold/exp/bonds locker

extended session stats

XVM

other icons

zoom in/out further

most is just eye candy but it enhances the game for me, I will play without mods directly after any updates without problems, I just like it to look different from standard wg.

ValkyrionX_TV #8 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• 56400 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
Moved to the Mods section.

Aslain #9 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 14600 battles
Yeah I definitely recommend my modpack :)

Richthoffen #10 Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32145 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

View PostAslain, on 25 February 2020 - 02:49 PM, said:

I do too.. since OM stopped theirs the most complete pack out there

SastusBulbas #11 Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36561 battles

View PostAslain, on 25 February 2020 - 02:49 PM, said:

I used to use that years ago, which is sort of why I ask.

I remember it being a case of extract all to res mods folder, this time around it is asking for C games, WOT that does not exist, so directed via F.

OH AND FANTASTIC, McFly adds as the MOD Portal version is out of date so I have to go to Aslains and do it all over again. Which I remember being an irritation before.

Edited by SastusBulbas, 25 February 2020 - 10:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users