Why are the Low tiers being removed by WG?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49178 battles

when I first started playing WOT low tiers were fun but over the years they have systematically been trashed and I see now that WG are just removing all the low tier tanks and I just don't get it.

I used to play on Malinovka, old Province, mines, etc great low tier maps and fun for every class of tank and great teachers for new players to wizz around learning the game. It was fun and great for new players. Sadly WG changed the maps for the tragically bad Abbey, Abbey, Abbey which makes low tiers a useless game experience for players, totally repetitive and as a result totally boring to play

then they added xp boosters and blueprints tier rushing players to the detriment of the game overall IMHO

then they let you pick a tier 6 tank after a few missions and a free tier 6 premium rental

and now most of the low tier tanks are just being removed

low tiers used to be fun, why have WG trashed to the low tiers so totally?  Tier rushing players has surely not proved to be good for the game?  and now it is going to be even worse

I truly do not understand the decision making and the thought process of the last few years at WG

Homer_J #2 Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:38 PM

Field Marshal

• 33637 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

All those low tier tanks will still be there and available to play, plus they won't need a dedicated crew so might even attract more players to them.

Maybe newbies just aren't playing low tiers, I remember hitting the tier IV wall back in the day, and having to do it over and over.  This way you do it once per nation and open up the whole tech tree.

Orkbert #3 Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:10 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29338 battles

Although with that slimming down the low tier techtree I guess the once applauded newcomer protection is now officially dead. Ah well, not that that one really worked anyways (on the few occasions when I still take out my Pz.II D out for a ride there are always several players with less than 1,000 battles in the teams) but the lack of research options in the low tiers does obviously push any newcomers directly into the mid tiers. Not to mention that already existing token to unlock a tierVI vehicle without having to research it, Wargaming seems to take every measure that the newcomer protection gets deactivated as fast as possible (admittedly it will be easier on the matchmaker)

TheFluffyVehicle #4 Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10432 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

let me clear up something for you. low tiers has always been trash. the main issues with low tiers has been the lack of HP and ability to use your armor reliably, either a tank is just a grind to get to the next tier or it's a top dog seal clubber with a derp canon with oneshot potential.

Low tiers may have been fun when you started playing because you didn't really know anything about the game. your skills wasn't exactly sharp and you've clearly played enough battles by now to understand the mechanics and how to aim and shoot.

now as to your points about how blueprints makes low tiers useless. well I guess it makes it useless if you bother to play a few 5000 battles first. becuase you sure as hell don't get enough blueprints to skip the low tiers. I've considered grinding out all low tiers just so I can avoid getting low tier blueprints but I'm just lazy and busy grinding more tier 10 tanks.

and cry me a river. a new player getting a free tier 6 tank. wow so scary. the game only truely shows the actual mechanics from tier 5 and up. and besides a new account barely even has the economy to support a tier 6 let alone buy one, starting out new in world of tanks is a very hard and scary thing to do. I personally welcome the new and more streamlined tech tree. yeah they are cutting off a ton of tanks. but they are also making a more streamlined and cheaper method for players to get into the game. and besides they are only making the 'removed' low tier tanks legacy vehicles. you literally need to press 1 button and then you can play them. 

all in all you should probably consider asking yourself why you enjoyed low tiers. what actually changed in low tiers which has made it not enjoyable for you. and if you only liked low tiers because it was fun seal clubbing the noobs then maybe you should start playing something higher than tier 3

_Anarchistic_ #5 Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49178 battles

View PostTheFluffyVehicle, on 25 February 2020 - 12:26 AM, said:

let me clear up something for you. low tiers has always been trash. the main issues with low tiers has been the lack of HP and ability to use your armor reliably, either a tank is just a grind to get to the next tier or it's a top dog seal clubber with a derp canon with oneshot potential.

Low tiers may have been fun when you started playing because you didn't really know anything about the game. your skills wasn't exactly sharp and you've clearly played enough battles by now to understand the mechanics and how to aim and shoot.

now as to your points about how blueprints makes low tiers useless. well I guess it makes it useless if you bother to play a few 5000 battles first. becuase you sure as hell don't get enough blueprints to skip the low tiers. I've considered grinding out all low tiers just so I can avoid getting low tier blueprints but I'm just lazy and busy grinding more tier 10 tanks.

and cry me a river. a new player getting a free tier 6 tank. wow so scary. the game only truely shows the actual mechanics from tier 5 and up. and besides a new account barely even has the economy to support a tier 6 let alone buy one, starting out new in world of tanks is a very hard and scary thing to do. I personally welcome the new and more streamlined tech tree. yeah they are cutting off a ton of tanks. but they are also making a more streamlined and cheaper method for players to get into the game. and besides they are only making the 'removed' low tier tanks legacy vehicles. you literally need to press 1 button and then you can play them. 

all in all you should probably consider asking yourself why you enjoyed low tiers. what actually changed in low tiers which has made it not enjoyable for you. and if you only liked low tiers because it was fun seal clubbing the noobs then maybe you should start playing something higher than tier 3

yes, when I started I knew sweet fa about the game, but that was not the point then.  whizzing around shooting things, getting shot just having pure fun.  I used to love province and malinovka especially as you could drive around like a teen in a stolen car.

I knew nothing about WN8 (7 in those days?), had no clue about the game mechanics, crew skills, hell I played a lot of games without ammo because I kept forgetting to click the auto resupply !!

And you know what, I never got abused for being red, of having a 45% wr

I was learning the game on good maps that allowed you to learn the game, allowed binos and camo nets so you could learn how to spot etc, allow you to play a td, little panzerjager 1 another tank I really loved, not trashy yolo maps that teach you nothing

but I think your next paragraph might be the most telling  

View PostTheFluffyVehicle, on 25 February 2020 - 12:26 AM, sa

and cry me a river. a new player getting a free tier 6 tank. wow so scary. the game only truely shows the actual mechanics from tier 5 and up. and besides a new account barely even has the economy to support a tier 6 let alone buy one, starting out new in world of tanks is a very hard and scary thing to do. 

a new account barely has the economy to support a tier 6 tank

I wonder if you are hitting it on the head, make people buy credits

but you know what, that will just drive players away even quicker 

Captain_Kremen0 #6 Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

Major

• Player
  • 39741 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

It is so you can play the "superior" high tier game quicker.

Hint - it isnt superior it just the same crapplayers but with "tactics".

Balc0ra #7 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76382 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostHomer_J, on 24 February 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

All those low tier tanks will still be there and available to play, plus they won't need a dedicated crew so might even attract more players to them.

I kinda hoped they would not do that on tier 4 and down. It's great for new players etc. But you know people will just pull their 5 skilled Jgpz E100 crews into their Marders and play low tiers then.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:58 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 36325 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Pretty much everything low tier is a crap box with no armour. The tiers don't differentiate themselves until you start getting past tier 4.

StronkiTonki #9 Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 35276 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

So then, wouldn't a better solution be to make low tier more enjoyable and balanced?

I'm already happy to hear that they are getting health buffs.

In most cases you literally take 1-3 shots to die on low tiers, which is absolutely crazy, considering the fast reload times.

I also feel that this teaches new players to be very passive, since going in front on low tiers usually just gets you killed. Not surprised so many new players end up camping the whole time on mid and high tiers.

I hope that the HP buffs will help out a bit.

But honestly I would love to see a bit more consistency and less derpyness on low tiers.

My biggest issue with low tiers is how unreliable the guns are. No accuracy, bad aim time.

Then there's just too many machine guns and derp guns driving around.

They have to potential to clip or oneshot anyone.

So in general:

-Time to kill is too fast

-Guns are too unerliable

This just adds frustrating gameplay where you often miss your shots or cant fire in time to something that you're aiming at, and you always just instantly die or lose 90% of your health in any 1v1 encounter.

One of the few low tiers I really enjoy is the Pz T-15, a German Premium LT on tier 3.

The gun just feels nice and consistent, doesn't take forever to aim like most low tiers do.

I'm not asking for low tiers to be super pinpoint accurate lasers, but having a bit more consistency and reliability like the T-15 would help.

sokolicc #10 Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34478 battles
  • [V-TER] V-TER
Tiers 2 to 5 are not going to be reward tanks, you will have to have specific crews for them. That's why they are separated from tiers 6 to 10, and tiers 6 to 10 comes with predefined configuration that can't be changed. :)

MeetriX #11 Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25588 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

Removing low tier tanks also means that no one is going to play them (not as much as now).

So how new players are going to get to the tier 5 when they sit 5 min. on the queue over and over again?

TankkiPoju #12 Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25105 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 25 February 2020 - 10:56 AM, said:

Removing low tier tanks also means that no one is going to play them (not as much as now).

Well except people doing "tech tree showcases".

BSHDBCG #13 Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6410 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 25 February 2020 - 02:48 AM, said:

I kinda hoped they would not do that on tier 4 and down. It's great for new players etc. But you know people will just pull their 5 skilled Jgpz E100 crews into their Marders and play low tiers then.

I don't think any would want to retrain their crew to a Marder... unless you want to play it with a pimped out 75% crew.

Apparently the collector tanks wont get special status nor premium status, so they will stay regular tanks.

In_Flames90 #14 Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13530 battles
  • [DECOY] DECOY

View PostMeetriX, on 25 February 2020 - 10:56 AM, said:

So how new players are going to get to the tier 5 when they sit 5 min. on the queue over and over again?

They are not removing them...just moving them. People who enjoy low tiers will still play them. New players can still get them if they decide to stay. Queue times will remain the same. 

zigzag101 #15 Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1186 battles

I notice most of these comments are from high battle experience players. Presumably it's been a while since you started out as a newby. As one myself I'm constantly seeing comments in game such as, "n*** player", "delete the game or learn to play" " this guy is useless", etc., etc., Checking player stats at end game these comments are usually (not always but usually) from seal clubbers or re-rollers.

They seem to have forgotten lower tier games are where newcomers 'learn' to play, not be bashed to pieces by vastly experienced players with maxed out tanks and crews, whose only purpose playing in these lower tiers seems to be to gain WR, killls and Top Gun awards and if they're knocked out by one of their own or God forbid a newby, they let their rage show. I'd think the hardest part of seal clubbing in tiers 1 - 3 now is not getting the kills but finding enough newcomers in the battle too kill.

The lesson newcomers quickly learn is play aggressively and you're gonna last about 20 secs so you can sit and watch everyone else have fun or return to the garage and decide which piece of crap you're gonna take out next to get hammered in. Play defensively and try and pick off any damaged tank that comes through and you're basically learning nothing about the map layouts, tactics, playing skills and have the bonus of being abused as a 'camper'. Solution? move up a few tiers and try and get a better tank and weapon. You still don't have the experience to play well but at least you get to play in battle a little longer....if you can deal with the abuse that'll come your way.

I suspect I'll get hammered for these comments, but from a 'noob newby' I'm sorry if we're ruining your game, but from my viewpoint the proliferation of seal clubbers and re-rollers out for glory have brought about their own downfall in the game standards.

Edited by zigzag101, 25 February 2020 - 12:23 PM.

nakkipeppu #16 Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34478 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF

I dunno, this seems one of the smartest of changes - once you get over the shock that tanks are "removed" (since they aren't).

New player experience is just terrible, and not (by far) the least because the crews are trash. The crews lack skills, and even worse, they lack the primary skill to have them function at all. If you haven't tried to play with a 50% crew, go ahead and do it ; the difference to just flat 100% crew is ridiculous. You can't really buy a 75% crew in the beginning, since the crewmembers cost 20k a pop. I'd be really surprised if a (genuine) new player spent 100k on a crew with 75% instead of 50% without having any idea on what those percentages even do, and when you compare that 100k to buying the next tank in the line. Also, your initial 100% crew does [edited]all since all the lines just careen everywhere - crew layouts and tank types match.

This should radically cut down on the time people are subjected to this horror, and with some luck, WG might even manage to teach them to drag their initial 100% crew up the line to 5 and be spared from the most of it.

If they want to play tier 1-4, they still can (and everybody still can !), but they're not forced to do that absolutely terrible initial slog over and over and over again. I don't just see the value of keeping low tiers populated with poor sobs who wander around the map in their 50% crews like zombies, having lost their will to live a long ago. For the rest, this changes nothing.

Edited by nakkipeppu, 25 February 2020 - 01:50 PM.

Bora_BOOM #17 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31115 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

Everyone smart would think it is to simplify the tech tree lines and make the lines of progression more clean and obvious. Which is what they will achieve, no question about it.

But, you know, there is more than meets the eye...

Causality:

Less low tier tanks --> faster progress through tiers --> consequently make it possible to play sooner at high tiers --> reach IX and X faster --> lose credits faster --> need for more premium content to keep up --> more money for WG.

Edited by Bora_BOOM, 26 February 2020 - 01:55 PM.

mpf1959 #18 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33940 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

Why are the Low tiers being removed by WG?

Because they appear to like doing pointless things with their resources instead of fixing stuff like slidey rocks, camera flying up near buildings etc!

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36325 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostBora_BOOM, on 25 February 2020 - 02:07 PM, said:

Everyone smart would think it is to simplify the tech tree lines and make the lines of progression more clean and obvious. Which is what they will achieve, no question about it.

But, you know, there is more than meets the eye...

Causality:

Less low tier tanks --> faster progress through tiers --> consequently make it possible to play sooner at high tiers --> reach IX and X faster --> loose credits faster --> need for more premium content to keep up --> more money for WG.

Takes a couple hours to get through the first few tiers. It really isn't going to make any difference. 

Bora_BOOM #20 Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31115 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 25 February 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Takes a couple hours to get through the first few tiers. It really isn't going to make any difference. 

Yeah, I know, but things are still going towards speeding up the grinds in any possible way.

My first ever to pick line was to E50M (oh, the newb days). It took me like 400 battles to progress from E50 to E50M (just to suck more and easier at tier X than I have masterfully managed to do at tier IX).

One of the last grinds I had was from JgTg to JPzE100. Took me 70 battles with the boosters, premium acc 5x bonus and things. Sure, I got much better but still, it is like 6 times faster than in the past.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users