If you were to share 5 tips to improve in-battle performance, what would they be?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

saurilian #1 Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15968 battles

So I've been playing for around 4 months now, I came back to this game with absolutely 0 experience besides knowing that artillery is annoying. I had 46,50% win rate and 300wn8. I've been playing alot in these 4 months as I'm stuck at home because I'm sick and I did around 8 000 battles. In these months I improved a little and currently I perform average at around ~1400wn8 and ~51% win rate. I quickly figured out grinding is not for me and I love playing for results/statistics so I bought premium account and rushed through everything I could while carefully selecting tanks that I want to own in my garage, that would suit my playstyle. Right now I almost own everything I want from the techtree, I just need the T-100LT, Leopard 1. While power-grinding I figured out alot of basics (I watch alot of videos from skill4ltu, Lemmingrush, MarkGFL, Taugrim, TRUvoodoo & QuickyBaby) but I feel my performance peaked and I'm stuck because I don't know what to do more. My winrate feels very much luck based, I'm not impactful enough to win more games and I don't know how to change it. I'm not consistent enough, I can't find balance beetwen aggression and passivness. Very often I overextend too much or I'm too carefull and I usually do it at the worst time. I can pull off good results but I'm not flexible enough to do them constantly. Too many of my games are about chasing demage and running away while doing as much demage before I die and I really don't like it. I feel I rely on course of game instead of dictating it. I struggle alot with early positioning and using my map awarness to my adventage (I'm very aware of what's going on, but it rarely helps me). I just feel that I'm not doing enough and I would love to hear 5 tips that you think are the most important and what you'd advice me to do to improve my performance. I love carrying games and playing tactical like Lemmingrush does and I think I might need more help.

My statistics: 

https://en.wot-life.com/eu/player/saurilian-505235332/

https://wotlabs.net/eu/player/saurilian

Also, if you're like me and you're looking for a buddy to carry the games with and overall have fun - just write me here and I'll send you a friend request (please be english fluent) :) 

Edited by saurilian, 26 February 2020 - 11:52 AM.

Strappster #2 Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29234 battles

The map shows both teams.

Patience is key except when it isn't. Knowing the difference comes from experience.

Don't rely on your 2 key but don't hesitate to use it when you need to.

A zero-damage hit on a track causes an orange critical and that is enough to reset a cap.

You can be spotted when firing behind solid bushes if the enemy is close enough. The only way to be sure of not getting spotted is to double bush.

Cobra6 #3 Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16609 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

-Look at the minimap.

-Pay attention to where the enemy force is mostly located.

-Look again at your minimap and see if another flank needs help.

-Play on the front line, unless you are a paper sniping tank.

-Look at the minimap.

Basically looking at the minimap should be 40-50% of your playtime, see whether you are still needed where you are or if you need to go somewhere else to halt the enemy advance or to get around the enemy advance and engage them from the year.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 26 February 2020 - 11:45 AM.

eldrak #4 Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53251 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

1 Mindset

Realize that you can do better and think actively about your play, try to identify mistakes and correct them in coming battles

2 Identify your role in the match

Watch the minimap and see what needs to be done. Don't camp where you won't participate until a flank has been already lost. Don't go on dangerous spotting runs where no one can support you.

3 Learn tanks and maps

4 Watch other players in your matches 

See what works for them and not, don't be afraid of using chat for some communication

5 Get someone to teach you about crews, equipment, modules, client settings. Or read lots of guides 

6 Have fun and don't take a streak of bad games too seriously

What's killing your stats: Playing lots of low damage light tanks at the highest tiers

Edited by eldrak, 26 February 2020 - 11:47 AM.

Flicka #5 Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23674 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

"My winrate feels very much luck based, I'm not impactful enough to win more games and I don't know how to change it. I can't find balance beetwen aggression and passivness and sometimes I overextend too much and sometimes I'm too carefull and I usually do it at the worst time. Too many of my games are about chasing demage and running away while doing as much demage before I die and I really don't like it. I feel I rely on course of game instead of dictating it. I struggle alot with early positioning and using my map awarness to my adventage (I'm very aware of what's going on, but it rarely helps me). "

This, you pretty much nailed it right there.

For the aggression and passiveness it is about reading the game, but games tend to be over quite fast these days, so finding he right balance is quite hard, for anybody.

Overextending is a problem for everybody, especially better players. When you seen an opportunity and after the push find out that you are alone there, problem, but that you can kinda feel out during the match on how your teammates react, maybe wait a few moments to see if any of them react.

Having map awareness is great, and again something you will just get the feel of with time.

You seem to have a good grasp on what you should be doing, maybe try to see why some of the good players get in some positions on certain maps, there are some that can carry games.

Patamajuri #6 Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14786 battles

These things have drastically improved my game when I started to play this game again:

* Maximize the minimap size in your UI so you cannot not look at it all the time :) (you can set keys to change the size)

* When the game starts, look at enemy tanks and think how they affect your plan (should you make aggressive start against team w/ autoloaders and wheeled vehicles, are you only top tier medium tank with useful turret armor etc.)

* Also 4TankersAndDog as nice videos explaining what to do in most of the maps (some of them are bit old, but for example westfield-guide is still valid) --> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuTii-cm-AgtJ3TRRS7gkqUqpaKKCGUUJ

* Don't play if your tired or tilted (I don't follow this rule but when I do I play better)

Edited by Patamajuri, 26 February 2020 - 12:36 PM.

saurilian #7 Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15968 battles

View PostPatamajuri, on 26 February 2020 - 12:34 PM, said:

* Don't play if your tired or tilted (I don't follow this rule but when I do I play better)

This ^^) This is something I learned recently. I'm doing way better when I play less and when I feel better. Thanks!

NUKLEAR_SLUG #8 Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36325 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

Help your team whenever you can.

Don't be afraid to run away when you can't.

splash_time #9 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15574 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  1. Never rush a line, play usual and try to learn the basics in a tier that you enjoy (mostly tier 9).
  2. Always watch your mini-map to know what flank is losing to join it.
  3. The battle isn't just 2 or 3 minutes so don't waste your tank HPs in the early beginning. So don't rush the positions first and never join a flank alone (especially for top tiers).
  4. Try to learn from your mistakes, if you lost your tank in early moments, think why you ended up like that and what you've could do instead (admitting your mistakes can help you improve a lot).
  5. Always relocate. Now why this is last? Because it's the most important hint that you'll always need. If you're stuck in a position where you can't deal damage, leave it and go rush other flanks (last sentence is for top tiers) to put pressure on enemy team and flank them. Many players stay in same position for long time without advancing and ending the battle by a lose because enemies win the other sides.

And btw, I'm always up for toons. And also I'm an average player as well. :) 

AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE #10 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5767 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
19% survival rate for last 30 days maybe take your finger off the W key a little ,you can't win games if your dead buddy .

View Postsaurilian, on 26 February 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

watch alot of videos from skill4ltu, Lemmingrush, MarkGFL, Taugrim, TRUvoodoo & QuickyBaby)

watching good players obviously is not making a difference because you're not copying their play style and positioning that's the whole point of watching them.

I quickly figured out grinding is not for me and I love playing for results/statistics 

stop playing all garbage tanks play only good tanks avoid t10 for obvious reasons play t9 and t8 the most .

saurilian #11 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15968 battles

View PostAXIS_OF_RESISTANCE, on 26 February 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

19% survival rate for last 30 days maybe take your finger off the W key a little ,you can't win games if your dead buddy .

watching good players obviously is not making a difference because you're not copying their play style and positioning that's the whole point of watching them.

stop playing all garbage tanks play only good tanks avoid t10 for obvious reasons play t9 and t8 the most .

Yeah, I'll take the advices above and be more carefull when coming to positions to increase my time alive. I'm not intrested in playing best tanks all the time. I want to be good even in worse tanks, I'm not a stat padder and reroll like you

Edited by saurilian, 26 February 2020 - 01:22 PM.

wEight_Tanker #12 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12609 battles
  • [D_L_Z] D_L_Z
git gud :peepotard:

AXIS_OF_RESISTANCE #13 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5767 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View Postsaurilian, on 26 February 2020 - 01:21 PM, said:

I'm not a stat padder 

love playing for results/statistics 

Ok

View Postsaurilian, on 26 February 2020 - 01:21 PM, said:

and reroll like you

Deal with it :B.

saurilian #14 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15968 battles

View PostAXIS_OF_RESISTANCE, on 26 February 2020 - 01:28 PM, said:

Playing for results/statistics isn't stat padding. Stat padding is playing only the best tanks (free exping everything just for sake of not losing stats) for a certain amount of battles just to have the purple color on them. You play tanks till you're satisfied with your wn8 and just leave them like that. Playing for results is learning the game and playing it as effectively as possible for more battles than 60. Your account is made only for stats, that's stat padding. 

12:41 Added after 3 minute

View PostAXIS_OF_RESISTANCE, on 26 February 2020 - 01:28 PM, said:

Deal with it :B.

Deal with what? You think rerolling makes you cool? That's the most sad thing to do in this game lol

Edited by saurilian, 26 February 2020 - 01:44 PM.

SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY #15 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31845 battles
  • [SOROS] SOROS

As a player who performs best in heavy/superheavy tanks and enjoys brawling situations and corridor fighting, here is what I have to share about the gameplay of this class.

1. On the heavy line/corridors, those who defend always have the upper hand. Therefore, especially at the start of the battle do not peek, be patient, let the enemy peek instead, you will outrade them this way (all else equal). You can try baiting shots too, e.g. through sidescraping. Make sure not to screw it up though.

2. When your teammates do not follow the "do not peek" rule and are aggressive, do help them – usually it is a perfect opportunity to deal damage without taking anything in return.

3. When in a deadlock situation – e.g. corridor with numerous tanks on both teams, both teams are waiting for each other to attack – do not attack. Evaluate the situation first:

Do we outnumber them here? If yes, and you are in a heavy, relocating and helping other flanks may be a good idea, as your teammates can probably hold the push of the enemy team if enemy decides to attack (defender's advantage). In a general heavy you are usually not sturdy enough for a push and your team is not likely to support you. If you are in a superheavy, you could try pushing, but only if your team significantly outnumbers opponents on the flank. 

4. High explosive shells are your best friend in deadlock situations, while gold ammo is the second best option.

5. After winning the flank, but enemy team still has TDs, it is often best to turn around to help other flanks or defend base, even if you are in a superheavy. If you push towards base you will likely get killed by the TDs. Only attack their base if you have spotters.

If you already know weakspots, and are good at brawling , this advice #5 will boost your winrate most – not dying to campers after completing your task (winning heavy line), leting them come to you instead if they want to win, or waiting for your meds/scouts to realize it is time to push (could take long minutes until they realize it is time to attack, but eventually they do). This is especially true on maps like Arctic Region, Highway, Redshire, Cliff, Mines, Airfield etc. On city maps it is a lot easier to avoid becoming the victim of camping TDs as a (super)heavy.

Edit: Advice 5+1: 

You should already evaluate the sitation at the start of the battle. If you see that only very few tanks are heading towards the standard (and usually crowded) heavy line, chances are high you will be severely outnumbered, subsequently rushed and destroyed. In that case, either find a defensive position near base, or go for the unconventional flank.

Edited by SOROS_SCHWARTZ_GYORGY, 26 February 2020 - 02:38 PM.

saurilian #16 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:15 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15968 battles

View PostStrappster, on 26 February 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

Don't rely on your 2 key but don't hesitate to use it when you need to.

I don't fire gold at all. I find it dumb

Flavortown #17 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17311 battles

-find a tier you're good at and try to play there
-dont play 800 games in a tier 3 tank
-try to have a fixed goal per tier that you try to hit as a avarage ( 3k dpg in tier x for example)

-know when to stop playing the game

-dont play arty

AngryObnoxiousOtter #18 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 37493 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

Turn off in game chat

Remove xvm and after game stats

Patience in this game is very rare, especially with a lot of light tank players,  so never feel under pressure to play according to how your so called  teammates think you should play. You do not need to spot everything in the first 30 secs.

When you have a lot of HP left and your team is winning be aggressive and go for that extra damage, hold W for the win. 

Honestly your showing nearly a 100% improvement stat wise so Just keep going.

saurilian #19 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15968 battles

View PostFlavortown, on 26 February 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

-dont play 800 games in a tier 3 tank

haha :D I played these 800 battles in 2012-2013 exactly. I was 12 year old 300wn8 bot back then so... 

13:36 Added after 2 minute

View PostFlavortown, on 26 February 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

-know when to stop playing the game

You're second one to point this out. I think that's my biggest lesson in this thread. Thanks alot! 

Edited by saurilian, 26 February 2020 - 02:33 PM.

Strappster #20 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29234 battles

View Postsaurilian, on 26 February 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

I don't fire gold at all. I find it dumb

I find not using all the tools at your disposal dumb. That doesn't mean I hit the gold from the start of a battle, I've just finished the Pershing grind and I could count the number of gold shells I fired during the whole run on the fingers of one hand. I should probably have fired more if I'd wanted better results but the standard shells did the job most of the time.

There are situations where you're going to be stuck with a target you can only reliably pen with standard ammo by pixel-peeping and while you're aiming, he's battering gold straight through your mantlet. You don't always have the option to back off and find a flank or relocate to fight easier targets.

One more tip that I missed earlier: hp is a resource like any other - spend it when you need to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users