gameplay replay draw improving analysis

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

BQBD #1 Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18354 battles

Hello fellow Forumites :)

My last game yesterday was quite a good one score-wise but it left me feeling on the down low. 

So some might say, oh BQ 6k dmg and 5 kills you did your part, you did what you could and you cant win them all. While that is true, as long as its not a win I did not do all I could :P 

Which brings me to the reason for this topic and the title it has been given. You see, I have been playing for 1 year and some change, and I feel like I have reached a plateau of ~52% winrate. I have some great winning streaks and some losing streaks...so it evens out to about 52%. I want to improve and I am at the point where I don't really know how. 

So I picked this replay to present to you guys and get some constructive comments and analysis, basically what would you do? How would you play it out and compare it to what I have done, provide some feedback on what was good and what was bad.

Replay Link --> http://wotreplays.eu...tto_m40_mod_65 

In the end we were in the typical Ghost Town (Lost city) situation where their TD's and snipers were dug in behind bushes and hard cover in elevated positions so there is the "bad map design" factor in there as well, regardless I would like to hear your opinion and some constructive comments/feedback be it good or bad.

Thanks in advance :medal:

AngelofAwe #2 Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 43051 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
Edit: Okay I've made the post so... *Trigger warning*, the wall of text below is not going to be nice to you. You've been warned. 

A good game is rarely going to have too many mistakes you can learn from so it's not an IDEAL replay for a review.

At least you went to play the same place I would in a medium, you are a bit slow to react though and you keep peeking the same bush when I would at least try to peak around the left of that hill to see if the M46 is alone and if he is and I can make him miss a shot I'd clip out that French medium as he has nowhere to go.
The slow reaction I speak of is when you see the Lynx drive off the hill. I would have immediately moved right to be able to pre-aim and just wait for him to run into my line of fire.
You're lucky he can't drive and got stuck on a wall, otherwise he would have escaped alive while it was relatively easy for you to kill him the moment he decided to run down the hill that way.

At 12:42 the M46 is on reload and the Bourrasque has fired as well so he's either reloading or only has 1 shell.
You have a lot of support and the only other tank spotted on that flank is a T-44. It's been over 2 minutes so I'd consider it unlikely there's any more tanks there still unspotted. This is the time to move up under their hill.
They have no artillery so it's not unsafe, TDs can't hit you there and any peeks they make on you will be punished hard by your clip and your allies. Easy to kill an entire tank if they just make one minor error.
You're a top tier and it's time to start making moves.

11:50 Okay this is getting frustrating. You're just moving back and forth between bushes. You haven't fired for ages and there's nothing spotted, nor WILL there be anything spotted for you to shoot where you are sitting.
The enemy has 3 tanks in front of you on this flank. 2 T8s and 1 T9 but you're not doing ANYTHING.
You have SIX tanks just sitting there including TWO tier 10 tanks (plus one base TD) achieving absolutely nothing.
MOVE ALREADY.
While you sit here 6v3 without firing a shot, the enemy team has a 12v9 overmatch on the rest of the map. Not to mention they have 2 extra T10s possibly taking part in the battle compared to your team.
At this point, if the teams were of equal skill your team would already have inevitably lost only because of what's taking place (or rather NOT taking place) on your flank where you have an overmatch that could just steamroll the enemies but you're doing nothing with it.

Ok I was wrong, the enemy team is so bad their T-10 plays spotted in the middle of a field and pays the price and their JPE drives out into the open to get shot by everything.
This enemy team is just awful.

10:00 - 5 minutes in, you still haven't moved from your very first location. You're still 6v3 on your flank. You're not doing anything...
T-10 drives through the open again, you somehow hit a really badly aimed shot.
...And he drives into the open AGAIN and dies. That's a 45% player, isn't it?

9:25 You're aiming at enemies in the city behind walls.
Then you're blind firing enemy TD bushes again for no reason.
Meanwhile your T8s are finally sick of this camping BS and are pushing your flank FOR YOU. Heck an STRV S1 is pushing in front of you.
You're not helping them of course because you're busy doing nothing in your same old bushes. 
I'm surprised nobody in chat is pinging and swearing at you yet for being a useless camper. Because to be fair... so far you really have been.
You have some damage because of enemy muppets driving into your gun where they never should have been but you haven't DONE anything. You're playing passively and the enemies have to come to you.
You're making no moves whatsoever, you're a spectator, not a player.

9:10 your lower tiers keep trying to push forward. You choose to go back instead and relocate into town rather than help them.
*bashes head against the wall*

8:20 You're now rocking back and forth on an inconsequential corner in the town where there are no enemies. You know this because you have allies on your left so there can't be anything there and you can SEE in front of you.
Yet again you're doing nothing. You've literally been a spectator to this battle for 7 minutes soon. 

7:30 If you don't DO SOMETHING soon in this battle I'm going to drown myself in the sink before the clock runs out. I can't take much more of this inaction. 

7:00 OH??? IS HE DOING SOMETHING? 8 minutes in, full hp T10 medium and you're finally making a move to flank a TD?? It's a miracle!

6:00 You can't even see that JPE cupola after the first shot, stop wasting your shells. Relocate or load HEAT. Only 2 options.
Ok you choose to reload HEAT but you've been sitting in this same location again for a couple of minutes reloading full clips. The TDs know where you are now. Your flank is now practically useless, it's time to move again.
You're wasting time and your tank's potential trying to frontally brawl TDs in hulldown locations.
Apparently the E3 must be the friend of the earlier T-10 as he's just giving you his side for free again and you clip him while the JPE right in front of you does nothing but kindly wait for you to finish and then backs up AFTER you go back into cover only to get killed by your TDs.

This match is a full clown fiesta of incompetent plays.

4:00 Like is your habit, you've been sitting on the same corner for 3 minutes straight in your fast medium tank and I increasingly wish to drown myself in the sink again.
Why do you even play mediums if this is how you play them? I'm trying not to be too insulting but this is ACTUALLY frustrating to watch.
If you had just MOVED UP on that western flank 9 minutes ago this game would have been OVER by now and your team would have won.

3:40 ... You're sitting side on to an E3 FULLY IN THE OPEN for 20 seconds waiting for him to reload. He's HULLDOWN AS WELL. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
and then... HE SHOOTS YOU IN THE SIDE WITH GOLD AND ONLY DAMAGES YOUR TRACKS AND YOU SHOOT AN E3 CUPOLA AND PEN HIM, KILLING HIM.
MOTHER OF GOOOOOOOOOOOD, YOU DO NOT DESERVE THIS. GAME IS ABSOLUTELY RIGGED. 

BRB I need a drink...

3:20 You're still a full hp T10 medium tank. The enemy only has 1 T10 remaining and he's spotted on the eastern flank. You can easily clean all of this up by yourself if you go aggressive NOW but you're running out of time.
It's time to stop saving your hp and using it as the resource it is. PUSH HARD.

3:00 Nope... instead you're camping a corner in your (now almost full hp T10) again a hulldown T-44.
I do not have any words to describe this that aren't curses.

2:50 You spot an IS-2-II and run away from him...
You get shot by an SU-130PM and blind fire an entire clip in his direction. The clock is ticking... 2:36 and you're still doing nothing...
Your team kills both of the T8s that you are terrified of. There are 0 enemy tanks remaining in the city.

2:30 ... You turn around and run away from the city towards your own base. I'm crying.

2:10 Enemies are desperate and drive into you, you aim miserably and miss the UDES with the first shot. Luckily hit him with a rather badly aimed second shot.

1:50 Your team are 8v4. Your team has 3 T10s remaining while the enemy team has 1 that you know where it is.
You have hp (1149) and are the most mobile tank on your team and time is almost up.
What do you do?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Peek a few bushes here and there on your Sunday stroll and hope something runs into you.

1:00 NOW you're finally doing what you needed to do 3 minutes ago and basically full yoloing towards the enemy positions.
Too bad it's FAR too late now. 

0:25 You call your team "useless bots".
The absolute irony of that statement after what I have witnessed for the last 15 minutes of gameplay.

0:02 You rush your last shot even though the Leopard is on reload and miss killing him.

0:00 Time's up. 

Okay... so seeing the result of your battle, at first I thought there would be little to give feedback on in this replay.
Oh how wrong I was, this was painful.
I'm not known for sugarcoating things and I won't so I'm just going to say that was an absolutely HORRIFIC performance on your part.
If it can even be called a performance considering you spent 14 out of 15 minutes doing NOTHING for the team.

I cannot begin to tell you what you did wrong because there is so little you did RIGHT in that entire game. The last minute was the best play you did, all the rest was something I'd never want to see ever again.
I'm not trying to be excessively mean but the truth is YOU lost this game. Your good score is because the enemies were terrible AND your team carried you, cleaning up everything for you as YOU were too passive to make any moves yourself.
Your team did ALL the work in that entire match and you are supposed to be the top tier.
You had SO many chances to just easily win this game, if you made a single correct move at any point in those first 14 minutes it was a steamroll for your team but you chose to be an inactive bystander.

I'm just... shocked how that is worthy of a 52% WR. If this game is all I knew I would have estimated you were a 47% WR player.
Don't be too insulted by all I said, I'm trying to be truthful and honest because lying to you isn't going to do you any good. This was bad, really really bad. 

Edited by AngelofAwe, 26 February 2020 - 03:30 PM.

BQBD #3 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18354 battles

View PostAngelofAwe, on 26 February 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

Edit: Okay I've made the post so... *Trigger warning*, the wall of text below is not going to be nice to you. You've been warned. 

A good game is rarely going to have too many mistakes you can learn from so it's not an IDEAL replay for a review.

At least you went to play the same place I would in a medium, you are a bit slow to react though and you keep peeking the same bush when I would at least try to peak around the left of that hill to see if the M46 is alone and if he is and I can make him miss a shot I'd clip out that French medium as he has nowhere to go.
The slow reaction I speak of is when you see the Lynx drive off the hill. I would have immediately moved right to be able to pre-aim and just wait for him to run into my line of fire.
You're lucky he can't drive and got stuck on a wall, otherwise he would have escaped alive while it was relatively easy for you to kill him the moment he decided to run down the hill that way.

At 12:42 the M46 is on reload and the Bourrasque has fired as well so he's either reloading or only has 1 shell.
You have a lot of support and the only other tank spotted on that flank is a T-44. It's been over 2 minutes so I'd consider it unlikely there's any more tanks there still unspotted. This is the time to move up under their hill.
They have no artillery so it's not unsafe, TDs can't hit you there and any peeks they make on you will be punished hard by your clip and your allies. Easy to kill an entire tank if they just make one minor error.
You're a top tier and it's time to start making moves.

11:50 Okay this is getting frustrating. You're just moving back and forth between bushes. You haven't fired for ages and there's nothing spotted, nor WILL there be anything spotted for you to shoot where you are sitting.
The enemy has 3 tanks in front of you on this flank. 2 T8s and 1 T9 but you're not doing ANYTHING.
You have SIX tanks just sitting there including TWO tier 10 tanks (plus one base TD) achieving absolutely nothing.
MOVE ALREADY.
While you sit here 6v3 without firing a shot, the enemy team has a 12v9 overmatch on the rest of the map. Not to mention they have 2 extra T10s possibly taking part in the battle compared to your team.
At this point, if the teams were of equal skill your team would already have inevitably lost only because of what's taking place (or rather NOT taking place) on your flank where you have an overmatch that could just steamroll the enemies but you're doing nothing with it.

Ok I was wrong, the enemy team is so bad their T-10 plays spotted in the middle of a field and pays the price and their JPE drives out into the open to get shot by everything.
This enemy team is just awful.

10:00 - 5 minutes in, you still haven't moved from your very first location. You're still 6v3 on your flank. You're not doing anything...
T-10 drives through the open again, you somehow hit a really badly aimed shot.
...And he drives into the open AGAIN and dies. That's a 45% player, isn't it?

9:25 You're aiming at enemies in the city behind walls.
Then you're blind firing enemy TD bushes again for no reason.
Meanwhile your T8s are finally sick of this camping BS and are pushing your flank FOR YOU. Heck an STRV S1 is pushing in front of you.
You're not helping them of course because you're busy doing nothing in your same old bushes. 
I'm surprised nobody in chat is pinging and swearing at you yet for being a useless camper. Because to be fair... so far you really have been.
You have some damage because of enemy muppets driving into your gun where they never should have been but you haven't DONE anything. You're playing passively and the enemies have to come to you.
You're making no moves whatsoever, you're a spectator, not a player.

9:10 your lower tiers keep trying to push forward. You choose to go back instead and relocate into town rather than help them.
*bashes head against the wall*

8:20 You're now rocking back and forth on an inconsequential corner in the town where there are no enemies. You know this because you have allies on your left so there can't be anything there and you can SEE in front of you.
Yet again you're doing nothing. You've literally been a spectator to this battle for 7 minutes soon. 

7:30 If you don't DO SOMETHING soon in this battle I'm going to drown myself in the sink before the clock runs out. I can't take much more of this inaction. 

7:00 OH??? IS HE DOING SOMETHING? 8 minutes in, full hp T10 medium and you're finally making a move to flank a TD?? It's a miracle!

6:00 You can't even see that JPE cupola after the first shot, stop wasting your shells. Relocate or load HEAT. Only 2 options.
Ok you choose to reload HEAT but you've been sitting in this same location against for a couple of minutes reloading full clips. The TDs know where you are now. Your flank is now practically useless, it's time to move again.
You're wasting time and your tanks potential trying to frontally brawl TDs in hulldown locations.
Apparently the E3 must be the friend of the earlier T-10 as he's just giving you his side for free again and you clip him while the JPE right in front of you does nothing but kindly wait for you to finish and then backs up AFTER you go back into cover only to get killed by your TDs.

This match is a full clown fiesta of incompetent plays.

4:00 Like is your habit, you've been sitting on the same corner for 3 minutes straight in your fast medium tank and I increasingly wish to drown myself in the sink again.
Why do you even play mediums if this is how you play them? I'm trying not to be too insulting but this is ACTUALLY frustrating to watch.
If you had just MOVED UP on that western flank 9 minutes ago this game would have been OVER by now and your team would have won.

3:40 ... You're sitting side on to an E3 FULLY IN THE OPEN for 20 seconds waiting for him to reload. He's HULLDOWN AS WELL. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
and then... HE SHOOTS YOU IN THE SIDE WITH GOLD AND ONLY DAMAGES YOUR TRACKS AND YOU SHOOT AN E3 CUPOLA AND PEN HIM, KILLING HIM.
MOTHER OF GOOOOOOOOOOOD, YOU DO NOT DESERVE THIS. GAME IS ABSOLUTELY RIGGED. 

BRB I need a drink...

3:20 You're still a full hp T10 medium tank. The enemy only has 1 T10 remaining and he's spotted on the eastern flank. You can easily clean all of this up by yourself if you go aggressive NOW but you're running out of time.
It's time to stop saving your hp and using it as the resource it is. PUSH HARD.

3:00 Nope... instead you're camping a corner in your (now almost full hp T10) again a hulldown T-44.
I do not have any words to describe this that aren't curses.

2:50 You spot an IS-2-II and run away from him...
You get shot by an SU-130PM and blind fire an entire clip in his direction. The clock is ticking... 2:36 and you're still doing nothing...
Your team kills both of the T8s that you are terrified of. There are 0 enemy tanks remaining in the city.

2:30 ... You turn around and run away from the city towards your own base. I'm crying.

2:10 Enemies are desperate and drive into you, you aim miserably and miss the UDES with the first shot. Luckily hit him with a rather badly aimed second shot.

1:50 Your team are 8v4. Your team has 3 T10s remaining while the enemy team has 1 that you know where it is.
You have hp (1149) and are the most mobile tank on your team and time is almost up.
What do you do?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Peek a few bushes here and there on your Sunday stroll and hope something runs into you.

1:00 NOW you're finally doing what you needed to do 3 minutes ago and basically full yoloing towards the enemy positions.
Too bad it's FAR too late now. 

0:25 You call your team "useless bots".
The absolute irony of that statement after what I have witnessed for the last 15 minutes of gameplay.

0:02 You rush your last shot even though the Leopard is on reload and miss killing him.

0:00 Time's up. 

Okay... so seeing the result of your battle, at first I thought there would be little to give feedback on in this replay.
Oh how wrong I was, this was painful.
I'm not known for sugarcoating things and I won't so I'm just going to say that was an absolutely HORRIFIC performance on your part.
If it can even be called a performance considering you spent 14 out of 15 minutes doing NOTHING for the team.

I cannot begin to tell you what you did wrong because there is so little you did RIGHT in that entire game. The last minute was the best play you did, all the rest was something I'd never want to see ever again.
I'm not trying to be excessively mean but the truth is YOU lost this game. Your good score is because the enemies were terrible AND your team carried you, cleaning up everything for you as YOU were too passive to make any moves yourself.
Your team did ALL the work in that entire match and you are supposed to be the top tier.
You had SO many chances to just easily win this game, if you made a single correct move at any point in those first 14 minutes it was a steamroll for your team but you chose to be an inactive bystander.

I'm just... shocked how that is worthy of a 52% WR. If this game is all I knew I would have estimated you were a 47% WR player.
Don't be too insulted by all I said, I'm trying to be truthful and honest because lying to you isn't going to do you any good. This was bad, really really bad. 

Well first of all thanks for taking the time to look at the replay and for your comments. 

To be fair I actually needed this kind of feedback. And you are right for pointing out the flaws in my gameplay and mindset. This is what I came here for. 

I am an overly passive player that much is already clear to me. Hence I posted this replay and asked for advice, or what would you do. For the same reason you said, good score but it was more down to luck than my skill (or lack of it :P), and it was a draw because of that. 

even before this I had a bit of thought as to why most of the time I am very passive, and my behaviour is conditioned by the previous games where I was trying to play active and got punished hard for it, or I was trying to help team mates who were just blindly driving into enemy positions and camping TD's. So the only plays I learned from that was to be passive. Now I am at the stage where I realise that and I am trying to figure out when is a good time to push, and who to support.

I appreciate the honesty and feedback. I will try to improve.

mpf1959 #4 Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34219 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

What would you have done? - Gameplay/Replay analysis wanted

Yolo'd, it's what the pro's recommend! :girl:

Strappster #5 Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29234 battles
I don't need to watch the replay to know that I'd have over-extended, got wrecked and blamed everyone on the team who isn't me. :great:

BQBD #6 Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18354 battles

View Postmpf1959, on 26 February 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

What would you have done? - Gameplay/Replay analysis wanted

Yolo'd, it's what the pro's recommend! :girl:

View PostStrappster, on 26 February 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

I don't need to watch the replay to know that I'd have over-extended, got wrecked and blamed everyone on the team who isn't me. :great:

Hehehe :trollface:

That is how I started and got punished for it, almost always :P So I adopted this passive gameplay, not always, but probably way more than I should, guess this is my next stage, transition for overly aggressive to overly passive :P 

That is one one of the reasons I wanted this replay commented on as its a prime example of my passive and indecisive play. hopefully I will be able to find a happy middle. Doubt at this age I can work on improving reaction time and hand to eye coordination :teethhappy:

Flicka #7 Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23709 battles
  • [CELL] CELL
That was efing awesome to read, now I really wanna see the replay, get a beer..watch it and go "yup...he was right"

Strappster #8 Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29234 battles

View PostBQBD, on 26 February 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

That is how I started and got punished for it, almost always :P So I adopted this passive gameplay, not always, but probably way more than I should, guess this is my next stage, transition for overly aggressive to overly passive :P 

That is one one of the reasons I wanted this replay commented on as its a prime example of my passive and indecisive play. hopefully I will be able to find a happy middle. Doubt at this age I can work on improving reaction time and hand to eye coordination :teethhappy:

First step to improvement is acknowledging the issues. :)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #9 Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36358 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

Watched the replay, agree with everything AngelofAwe said. You seemly deathly afraid of getting shot at, which makes it slightly amusing that the first time you do decide to frontally engage a tank and trade fire it's with an E3.. :amazed:

If you're not actively engaging targets you should be looking at the minimap and trying to work out where you can advance to so that you can get into a position to kill something, you spent all your downtime fidgeting in the same spots or moving to new positions taking the longest route possible to get there.

Gruff_ #10 Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24730 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
A brutally honest review there, the only way is up  ;)

Bigtime_Alarm #11 Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23086 battles
Id have got spotted, hit by a pixel shot at 10000m and killed by an exploding ammo rack same as usual

Also tagged with gameplay, replay, draw, improving, analysis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users