Global Server

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

adria4564 #1 Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:46 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25160 battles
  • [CNCEP] CNCEP

Good morning, I would like to suggest and possibly almost urgently recommend that the Global or / and International Server be implemented. World of Tanks has a fairly wide community in relation to countries. But for example, NA and maybe ASIA are barely touching the 20,000 players a day, but the UK and the US are between 200,000 and 700,000 and, together, perhaps 1,000,000 million players, it would be nice to add a server where a person of any part of either "Russia, China, Japan, Australia, Ecuador" can create a platoon with someone from the US, RU NA, LATAM etc.

I am not in favor of bugs and I know it would take time to grant the correct operation to such a tool. But I think it is necessary, we are very limited in terms of connection between continents. It would be nice to be the first to break those barriers and not separate the servers so much, do something similar to COMMON TEST, people from any server can try it, and go to an optimal PING without being affected. Or at least that's my case, I leave this recommendation here.

I hope it will be taken care of, since it would be good if it was implemented and we were not so restricted by continents. A hug, and good luck on the battlefield.

I don't speak English very well, excuse me if you don't understand clearly.:izmena:

Evilier_than_Skeletor #2 Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21914 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
What kind of ping someone from Australia would get to a server physically located for example in Germany. 400? 500? And when going for the lowest ping players would probably end up playing the same server locations they currently do. Would be nice though, maybe in the future :) Also, can't help but wonder if Tetris and Barbie are so highly recommended on other continents too.

JustaMarc #3 Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11568 battles
Maybe get a server up in Iceland, to make gaming possible between NA and EU at decent latency for both sides?

Homer_J #4 Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Some years ago WG worked on a roaming system which allowed people to use their account to log in on a different server temporarily.  After about two years of testing it was scrapped.

If you want to see what a "global" server would be like then log on to the next common test because that is exactly what it is.

arthurwellsley #5 Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:59 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54937 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 03 March 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

Some years ago WG worked on a roaming system which allowed people to use their account to log in on a different server temporarily.  After about two years of testing it was scrapped.

If you want to see what a "global" server would be like then log on to the next common test because that is exactly what it is.

Not sure I would define the common test server as global.

China is wholly separate from the common test, and for legal reasons native to Chinese laws it would be impossible for WG to integrate it's world wide operations with China.

On common test most players are USSR (old reference but you get the idea of the area that I am designating broadly), with a handful EU, and very occassionally NA.

Is the common test always available for NA players?

I have never seen anyone from ASIA server on common test. Is this me missing them or is it not available to them?

Is common test available to players from the South American server?

Balc0ra #6 Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76387 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Then some would have 35 ping, others would be above 300 or 500. Not exactly ideal. I had 120 ping to NA, then they did merge them and had a central one. It spiked to 250. And it's not ideal to play with at all.

eldrak #7 Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53266 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

From the players perspective there's really no need for the different regions.

edit: They would still log onto the same servers they do today to get best ping but they would also have the option to play with player from other regions without creating new accounts.

Edited by eldrak, 03 March 2020 - 12:15 PM.

Homer_J #8 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:17 PM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postarthurwellsley, on 03 March 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

Not sure I would define the common test server as global.

China is wholly separate from the common test, and for legal reasons native to Chinese laws it would be impossible for WG to integrate it's world wide operations with China.

On common test most players are USSR (old reference but you get the idea of the area that I am designating broadly), with a handful EU, and very occassionally NA.

Is the common test always available for NA players?

I have never seen anyone from ASIA server on common test. Is this me missing them or is it not available to them?

Is common test available to players from the South American server?

CN server is irrelevant.  It has pretty much nothing to do with Wargaming.

RU, NA, EU, and Asia players are all combined onto the same common test.

The fact that you only ever see RU and some EU players is exactly what I was getting at, EU players would be swamped by RU and rarely see anyone from NA or Asia server due to time differences and sheer lack of numbers.

Combining the NA, Asia, and EU into one cluster but keeping the current servers might be a good long term plan but there is a huge problem of accounts on different servers using the same email address or nickname.

unhappy__bunny #9 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

Brigadier

• 20851 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View Postadria4564, on 03 March 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Good morning, I would like to suggest and possibly almost urgently recommend that the Global or / and International Server be implemented. World of Tanks has a fairly wide community in relation to countries. But for example, NA and maybe ASIA are barely touching the 20,000 players a day, but the UK and the US are between 200,000 and 700,000 and, together, perhaps 1,000,000 million players, it would be nice to add a server where a person of any part of either "Russia, China, Japan, Australia, Ecuador" can create a platoon with someone from the US, RU NA, LATAM etc.

I am not in favor of bugs and I know it would take time to grant the correct operation to such a tool. But I think it is necessary, we are very limited in terms of connection between continents. It would be nice to be the first to break those barriers and not separate the servers so much, do something similar to COMMON TEST, people from any server can try it, and go to an optimal PING without being affected. Or at least that's my case, I leave this recommendation here.

I hope it will be taken care of, since it would be good if it was implemented and we were not so restricted by continents. A hug, and good luck on the battlefield.

I don't speak English very well, excuse me if you don't understand clearly.:izmena:

Have you tried creating an account on the NA server and trying it out? This would give you an insight into how well your idea would work for players in other regions to connect to a very distant server.

Miepie #10 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5745 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 03 March 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

Also, can't help but wonder if Tetris and Barbie are so highly recommended on other continents too.

Australians love having a barbie. :great:

HanZi #11 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 49531 battles
  • [-NFD-] -NFD-

View Postadria4564, on 03 March 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

I would instantly move away from PL1 and PL2 eu server. :D Maybe they got fairplay at US.????

NekoPuffer_PPP #12 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36016 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postadria4564, on 03 March 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

Your suggestion, while possible, is absolutely ridiculous.

Connecting to a single server would mean different parts of the world would have vastly different latency values. Ranging from 30ms all the way to 300ms or worse. 300ms of latency is unplayable.

Nobody would want this.

Zmaj72 #13 Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 34150 battles

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 03 March 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

Have you tried creating an account on the NA server and trying it out? This would give you an insight into how well your idea would work for players in other regions to connect to a very distant server.

Must say I am bit surprised that a mod is trying to get people to move to NA, I know I that live in Sweden have far less problems with packet loss and freezes on NA than on EU

unhappy__bunny #14 Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:15 PM

Brigadier

• 20851 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostZmaj72, on 03 March 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

Must say I am bit surprised that a mod is trying to get people to move to NA, I know I that live in Sweden have far less problems with packet loss and freezes on NA than on EU

Who is trying to get people to move? I was suggesting the OP tried connecting to a distant server to see for himself the issues it might raise. Purely as a test for his own idea. 

wsatnutter #15 Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26990 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
nice idea OP but it would never work tbh I would do what bunny said to get a feel for it and how it pans out

adria4564 #16 Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25160 battles
  • [CNCEP] CNCEP

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 03 March 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Your suggestion, while possible, is absolutely ridiculous.

Connecting to a single server would mean different parts of the world would have vastly different latency values. Ranging from 30ms all the way to 300ms or worse. 300ms of latency is unplayable.

Nobody would want this.

Nothing to see, it would simply be to place servers in intermediate zones to everyone's delight.

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10510 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postarthurwellsley, on 03 March 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

On common test most players are USSR (old reference but you get the idea of the area that I am designating broadly)

Yes, the CIS region as it is called these days.

Commonwealth of Independent States.

View PostHomer_J, on 03 March 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

Combining the NA, Asia, and EU into one cluster but keeping the current servers might be a good long term plan but there is a huge problem of accounts on different servers using the same email address or nickname.

Well, the obvious thing would be adding the originating region to the end of the nickname as is already done on the test servers.

That way you should theoretically still have an "NA" account and a "EU" account with the same e-mail address, assuming you still retain the current login system where you log in per region...

But then you'd still be having the latency issues depending on the geographical locations of the player and server he's connecting to.

One way to circumvent that would be to have... guess what... servers in each region, and then we're basically just down to the current system again except you can login to NA using an EU account, etc...

Hm... wonder how doable that would be, practically speaking...

Other than pricing issues for various regions, although prices in-game for gold are, afaik, pretty much the same in every region, and then you'd just be force to buy gold etc. on the region's website.

But that wouldn't stop players from trying to abuse the system by creating an account in a different region for the slightly lower prices while playing on their nearest region's servers instead...

View Postadria4564, on 03 March 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Nothing to see, it would simply be to place servers in intermediate zones to everyone's delight.

The most central location for everybody on earth would be... the centre of the earth? :teethhappy:

Sylvansight #18 Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35657 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 03 March 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

It wasn't scrapped because of latency issues, it was scrapped for political reasons  (profits / taxes etc) 

Homer_J #19 Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSylvansight, on 03 March 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

It wasn't scrapped because of latency issues, it was scrapped for political reasons  (profits / taxes etc) 

I thought it was scrapped for other reasons but then WG never did say why.

Sylvansight #20 Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35657 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 03 March 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

I thought it was scrapped for other reasons but then WG never did say why.

There was a brief comment about it in a revent developer interview (recent = last few months).  Can't remember if it was a video or a translation on a new site - will come back with link if I can find. 

21:00 Added after 4 minute
Found it :)

Block Quote

– Cluster consolidation (RU / EU / NA) – this is difficult primarily from the legal side. These are different laws, different rules, restrictions, taxes, etc. The problem is legal, not technical.
Although inside our offices we have already made such a technology a long time ago and even tested it – roaming, who remembers.

source: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2019/12/18/world-of-tanks-end-of-the-year-event-qna-session/

Also tagged with Global Server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users