How to improve your gameplay ?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Makotti #1 Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16687 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Even of being Dinger and not putting that much value for one's stats I've still thought how to improve my gameplay. Been around ~1100 WN8 and ~50% WR for ages now (granted, been grinding many lines since christmas event and now with stocked x5's for last Twitch packages) and I'd really like to get some tips how to make myself more useful and consistent. I can pull some very good games and then a very bad ones, mainly liking mobile platforms. Haven't watched any streamers or tutorial vids, any suggestions are welcome.

24doom24 #2 Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9202 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/736520-if-you-were-to-share-5-tips-to-improve-in-battle-performance-what-would-they-be/#topmost

This is a good thread.

jabster #3 Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12823 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostMakotti, on 03 March 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Even of being Dinger and not putting that much value for one's stats I've still thought how to improve my gameplay. Been around ~1100 WN8 and ~50% WR for ages now (granted, been grinding many lines since christmas event and now with stocked x5's for last Twitch packages) and I'd really like to get some tips how to make myself more useful and consistent. I can pull some very good games and then a very bad ones, mainly liking mobile platforms. Haven't watched any streamers or tutorial vids, any suggestions are welcome.

Upload some replays to WoT Replays and then post the links here. There’s enough good players who can give you constructive, even if sometimes brutal, advice.

Flicka #4 Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23708 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

Well, your survival rate is quite low, that means you are probably too aggressive, and it seems you do that quite fast in battle since your damage per game is also quite low.

Patience is a virtue, you could benefit from watching some players, I suggest Lemmingrush as you seem to play alot of scouts and medium tanks. That should be beneficial.

For the rest, can not really tell except the usual stuff. Better awareness, more looking at analyzing the minimap (who should be as big as you can enjoy), and better picking your fights.

But I guess you will have more input if you get enough helping tips here.

GodTank2 #5 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10124 battles
  • [RF_] RF_
Play smart , do damage without taking any in return, learn the maps and useful positions, learn when to engage , watch youtube vids of better players playing.

splash_time #6 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well makotti:

1. Start thinking about your weaknesses. 
  • What do I mean? Like, what things you can't do properly? Then when you find the answers, invest time to improve them e.g streamers, watching replays and so on.

2. Always take positions where you can fall back from them if your team failed to advance. 

• In other words, don't be the leader of the flank, move with your team and push with them.

3. Always watch the mini map. It's the second most important priority you have after positionig.

• Why? Because it can help you to predict where the enemy team is advancing and where it's weak to flank and go through them.

4. Never take unnecessary shoots.

And also this:

Spoiler

Dwigt #7 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

Corporal

• WG Staff
  • 1151 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Interesting topic, could help me improve my game play as well!

As a newcomer I was told to focus on 4 5 tanks, mainly Heavies and Mediums, but you're not a newcomer so I would recommend watching streamers.

WoT is a complex game with a lot of parameters to take into consideration. At your level maybe a small tip from a pro player would make a huge difference.

A personal advice, would be to remain patient and consistent, focus on the tanks you like the most to enjoy your game first and you'll find yourself improving in a very short time!:justwait:

One last thing, I would love to play with some of you, so don't hesitate to add me!

__Eric__ #8 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38001 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDwigt, on 03 March 2020 - 12:13 PM, said:

One last thing, I would love to play with some of you, so don't hesitate to add me!

You could draw a fish and apply to the Dingers ;)

SlyMeerkat #9 Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19520 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-
Great topic and shall be following with keen interest to the answers as i to want to know the same as the OP..... I find my struggle is at Tier 10, i like all other tiers, especially Tier 9 but in 10, i suck for some weird reason and just dont know why, no matter how or what i try but i shall be persistent init and try which is main thing but advice on that part would be helpful :)  

splash_time #10 Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post__Eric__, on 03 March 2020 - 03:45 PM, said:

You could draw a fish and apply to the Dingers ;)

Yup, dingers are up for platoons, draw your fish and your tank will become gold ammo proof. :trollface::honoring:

Here you can draw your fish.

Edited by splash_time, 03 March 2020 - 02:38 PM.

ZlatanArKung #11 Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1537 battles
1: Dont blame MM, team mates, RNG, arty, WV, premium ammo etc for your own inadequacies. Only you are responsible for your own decisions and actions in game.

2: When you have learnt 1. Every decision or lack of decision you make in a game can be improved upon.

3: When you make a decision (to take a fight for example) commit 100%, never back off half way through.

Edited by ZlatanArKung, 03 March 2020 - 03:43 PM.

mpf1959 #12 Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34186 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

How to improve your gameplay ?

My success is down to paying out a large bribe to a WOT insider, I am on pain of death to never reveal the source!

kaneloon #13 Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32294 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

View PostZlatanArKung, on 03 March 2020 - 02:43 PM, said:

3: When you make a decision (to take a fight for example) commit 100%, never back off half way through.

Nice advice. Even in clan battle I felt that many loss were due to changes of plans, passivity or reaction to the enemy - who then leads the dance.

arthurwellsley #14 Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55017 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Taken from somewhere else. Kudos to the author who is called Kolni (although that is no longer his ingame name) and is I believe currently living in Sweden. He is a purple player and a former member of some top clans;

"Player Situation Awareness:

One's ability to take in information quickly, so the better you understand the information the easier it'll be to translate them into ideas and react. Requires experience to work properly, too many variables present itself naturally. Once you're able to take information in quickly you will speed up your decisionmaking and I just think this works for your reactive decisions too, mine improved at about the same rate now that I think of it. 

Short of that you need to comfortable enough with the game and probably understand the game's mechanics to develop enough player habits to be able to play awarely. Focus is required to be aware, so unless the game is all you think about you will have distractions. Fill your head with stuff wot wot wot wot wot wot wot wot and nothing else to keep focused, and your awareness really improves. I rarely play with something drawing attention from my screen, and when I do it's twitch chat. That's about a 600dpg difference everything I turn the stream on, so as you can see distractions really don't work for me. If you just ask "what if" before deciding stuff you can be aware without vision too. That's a really big step but your awareness goes to learning every angle from a position you use pretty fast meaning you get a better map sense. Map sense leads to easier decisions, better reactions. More stuff like this. Awareness is mostly focus but experience can autopilot the things you don't need to focus to do. You can't read MM without focusing, be critical, or you're never going to learn how to read them. You also can't autopilot initial deployment, but movement patterns push/retreat and set plays are fine to auto because they work the same every time anyway. All this type of stuff builds up to better awareness, you see what happens > understands what happens > acts accordingly more quickly when you know what it's supposed you should be understanding and woopdidoo a game sense has emerged

After that you just keep honing it like normal, what is good and what is bad > refine the bad> what is good now and what is bad > refine the bad > what is good now and what is bad >

That's how I go by getting my awareness back after long breaks at least. 

Analysis of enemy team lineups:

Questions you should be asking yourself during countdown and preferably have answers for:

As a 1-5 (out of 357 teamplates +full tier 10) top tier where you have a distinct advantage over most tanks you face:

• what can i fight that can't fight me back well?> how do i fight it/them, where does it go? > predict
  • where is the most damage? > what is my purpose this game? do we win where the most damage is?> if yes, go there; > if no, look for the 2nd best option: usually the winning flank, unless your team is too attrition heavy and can defend the (generally) third and lowest probable damage early, flank that will go evenly as it will be the last place you'll be able to survive as those teams give up too much map control.
  • highest impact play? do i need to actively push to win? can i stall the game for more damage? 
  • this is where you do the tryhard plays because here they work more than anywhere else, hard aggression works best here but obviously not a great idea all the time

As a midtier in +/-2 and bottom tier in +/-1:

• what can i fight that can't fight me back well? how and where do i fight>predict
  • where do i get the most damage safely? where do people cross, and at what parts of the game? 
  • what can i leverage to win against stronger tanks than me? 
  • stick to core of the team without a set play, kite them to prolong your game alive if you can
  • lategame your disadvantage means much less, you are stronger than you realise with hp

As a -2 bottom tier:

• can i get any free damage? go there early
  • use either mobility to rotate into as much free damage as possible before committing to a play, or with slower tanks play behind the main engagement, wherever you can get any free shots off before committing yourself to a play
  • avoid risktaking, mistakes here usually mean you die fast
  • time is definitely your friend, take lower close to goal damage games over risking high damage games for trash, so never allow yourself to trade poorly when aware of the trade being bad

When it is a good idea to fight and when it is better to fall back.:

It's usually a good idea to fall back, but fighting works better sometimes. You need certain things to line up for it work. You need a defense that can deal damage without taking any, generally a defense in randoms consists of fewer defenders than aggressors, so you need to be sure there's a chance you actually come out of it alive before taking that risk. You still have defenders on neutral ground, but knowing when to hold them and risk swarming takes time, you generally can hold one at bay forever, two for a while but never 3 or more. If 3 tanks get close to you, you will die almost no matter what. You don't want that. The fighting games like that though are the ones absolutely most fun to play, and generally very strong performance wise. You learn more of a game if you fall back to keep yourself alive for as long as possible, the trick is knowing how long you can fight before falling back and trying to cut them closer and closer, which really just comes down to experience. 

How to get the most out of face roll games where one team rolls over the other with minimal losses:

Recognise which side of it you're on first, and try to see it coming as soon as possible. Take measures if you get that gut feeling it's coming and learn to trust your intuition. 

Winning end: Get ahead of your team, not by much, but enough to set up whatever you want to do before the team can touch it. Trackshots on superheavies, full autoloader clips, and stuff like that are much easier to do if you're ahead in tempo and have more time to assess the engagement before poking

Losing end: Fall back, as soon as you feel pressured you should be falling back. Open maps are worse because you need to fall back earlier, but city maps generally require 50-100m tops to create a new chokepoint. Steamroll losses are played by staying alive, take any free damage and reserve HP for the last 2 minutes of the game, fight the place that won't swarm you then, fight the swarm

Fighting wheelchairs: (EBR's)

My trick is just slightly more lead than I think it should be, and it tends to connect more often. Wait for them to line up straight either horizontal or vertical to you, vertical makes them easy to autoaim and just adjust one axis, works decently well

How valuable is view range beyond the 445 meters?

It's mostly to ease your risk of getting outspotted past the camo skill, better view range means people outspot you and if you spot them first you get to make the first move 

it also gives the camo piercing that really helps to see through bushes and negate camo skill (an m60 with improved optics can spot the td's in the back crossing into 1 line on prokh for example, incredibly abuseable)

i find it together with situational awareness make for a much more able vision game than what i'm playing against, and that's an advantage i really know how to use, as i feel other do too"

Flicka #15 Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23708 battles
  • [CELL] CELL

View PostSlyMeerkat, on 03 March 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

Great topic and shall be following with keen interest to the answers as i to want to know the same as the OP..... I find my struggle is at Tier 10, i like all other tiers, especially Tier 9 but in 10, i suck for some weird reason and just dont know why, no matter how or what i try but i shall be persistent init and try which is main thing but advice on that part would be helpful :)  

Tier X is a different beast in this game.

For to be good consistently in tier X games you have to play much better then in previous tiers.

Balance is quite bad, gameplay suffers quite a lot, mistakes will get punished much more, and ofc the teammates...

That 1 shot of dmg some of them do on tier 7 is much more helpful then on tier X, so yeah, takes a lot of work to make it work these days, good players will say that tier 9 is the sweet spot at the moment. So play there and have fun.

HanZi #16 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 49589 battles
  • [-NFD-] -NFD-

View PostMakotti, on 03 March 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

1rst if you are playing randoms, forget improving your game much. WAY to many variables here. 2nd consider what "might" could improve your advantage in the game. Talking only use gold ammo, and maybe get some "help" Like so many other "good" players. just saying.

Vtsuk #17 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13473 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA

1st -  You buy premium account and an OP premium tank, or two doesn't matter, so it will be almost impossible to loose credits when you do the next steps.

2nd - You should have already bought on Christmas the snowmaidens and the 3 skilled Commander, buy a couple of crewbooks for them, you won't miss the credits. Get a "Fort Knox" don't be cheap! This is WoT!

3rd - Put the sPEcIOuL shells on No1 on your keyboard so they get the place they deserve, you buy only SpeCiouL shells, leave the HEs and normal shells for the plebs!

4th - Buy big repair kit,big med kit and food for you crew!

5th - Buy directives, whichever seem the fittest for the tank you play, you can afford all that now!

6th - Use gold to turn the Exp from your OP premiums to Free Exp so you will never have to play stock grinds and/or completely skip tanks that are out of meta!

Watch your wn8 and wr rise slow and steady! 

And before somebody starts crying "it's all about skill, because bla bla bla" answer me this...

In a 1vs1 situation who would win, yourself with all the above advantages or yourself without them? Who would have better stats your paying self that skips stock grinds and crappy tanks and always plays with special shells

big repair kits,food, etc. or your free to play self? 

Those things won't make you a unicum but they will boost your own overall performance.

kaneloon #18 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32294 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

It will sure help but not that much (2% maximum wr maybe).

And this unfairness just angers the poor players and degrades the fun for them.

wsatnutter #19 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 27022 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostDwigt, on 03 March 2020 - 12:13 PM, said:

Interesting topic, could help me improve my game play as well!

As a newcomer I was told to focus on 4 5 tanks, mainly Heavies and Mediums, but you're not a newcomer so I would recommend watching streamers.

WoT is a complex game with a lot of parameters to take into consideration. At your level maybe a small tip from a pro player would make a huge difference.

A personal advice, would be to remain patient and consistent, focus on the tanks you like the most to enjoy your game first and you'll find yourself improving in a very short time!:justwait:

come into the forumites channel

password is play4fun

there are some really good players in there that will toon with you

Edited by wsatnutter, 03 March 2020 - 04:34 PM.

Vtsuk #20 Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13473 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA

View Postkaneloon, on 03 March 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

It will sure help but not that much (2% maximum wr maybe).

And this unfairness just angers the poor players and degrades the fun for them.

2% separates a 49% yellow player from a 51% green one.

Also if WG doesn't care for the free to play players, why should anyone do? Plus Wg desided to turn the game into "pay to have an advantage" not the playerbase, so whoever has the cash will use them to get that advantage.

It's not like you are cheating,which by the way is super easy, those are all game mechanics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users