Historic battle mode

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Tomerell #1 Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16379 battles

I have played rival game for some time, and there they had very good and playable historic battle mode (before they changed and ruined it).

I'm wondering could a similar game mode alongside with random and other battle modes work in WOT. In this historic battle mode you would be playing nation vs. nation with only true historic tanks tied in certain time frame e.g. operation Barbarossa 1941 etc.

This could bring some yearned variety to random battles. What are your opinions on this???

AeyT #2 Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:37 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7680 battles
Lots of people want to play Tigers not many want to be T-34s

_GRUNT_ #3 Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 40879 battles
  • [BULL] BULL
Already been done years ago and it was removed.

splash_time #4 Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15611 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAeyT, on 06 March 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Exactly, nobody likes to play with Sherman or T-34s against Tigers and panzers.

Such modes will be absolutely one sided.

Miepie #5 Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5745 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsplash_time, on 06 March 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Exactly, nobody likes to play with Sherman or T-34s against Tigers and panzers.

Such modes will be absolutely one sided.

In a PvE mode people would... :popcorn:

splash_time #6 Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15611 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMiepie, on 06 March 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

In a PvE mode people would... :popcorn:

Home front's low tiers were a great examples. :)

Tomerell #7 Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16379 battles

View Post_GRUNT_, on 06 March 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Already been done years ago and it was removed.

When was this done, cant recall my self...

09:06 Added after 6 minute

View PostAeyT, on 06 March 2020 - 10:37 AM, said:

True, but you can limit the amount of tank types in MM, besides Tiger in WOT is not a pain in the [edited]Tiger which it was in real life, and T-34's and Sherman's can deal with it fairly easy...

TungstenHitman #8 Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32960 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Ya I had a thread about something like this before with a poll and it was massively one sided in favor of it. Basically I was looking for a WoT version of Ops mode they have in WoWs.

The only problem about creating a vs mode based on historical tank encounters is that is sort steers the mode into being very limited. What do I mean by that? I mean that a historical tank engagement mode would be heavily restricted by way of nations and tanks. So lets take for example, a WoT version of the historical battle of Kursk. That battle would only feature Russian and German tanks. Worse still, it would only feature a small handful of different Russian and German tanks... a hell of a lot of them! but not much variation so that would be pretty boring and dull tbh. 

So no, I don't think a historical mode would work because of it's limitation to certain nations and tank tiers but I would be all for a WoT version of Ops. 

Geno1isme #9 Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49365 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostTomerell, on 06 March 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

True, but you can limit the amount of tank types in MM, besides Tiger in WOT is not a pain in the [edited]Tiger which it was in real life, and T-34's and Sherman's can deal with it fairly easy...

The historic battle mode in WoT actually restricted which modules could be used, so Tigers for example had to use the L56 instead of the L71. Also number of each tank was predefined (like two Tigers, three StuGs and 5 Panzers vs. 8 T-34, 2 ISU and 4 KV). And no, Shermans and T-34s in WoT cannot easily deal even with a stock Tiger unless they have at least a 3:1 numerical advantage, simply due to the HP difference (Tiger can two-shot T5 meds even with the L56).

But the balancing was just one of many issues with that mode. In the end it was basically just normal random battles (maps, spawns, victory conditions, ...) with a predefined setup. It didn't really resemble the historic reference in any way.

Slyspy #10 Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14965 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I quite liked the historical battles but, as is often the case, the playerbase ruined it by all queueing up to be the Tiger. 

Tomerell #11 Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16379 battles

View PostSlyspy, on 06 March 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

I quite liked the historical battles but, as is often the case, the playerbase ruined it by all queueing up to be the Tiger. 

Maybe if you are forced to choose several different tanks to queue with and from there MM pick up suitable combination for each battle...

View PostGeno1isme, on 06 March 2020 - 11:32 AM, said:

But the balancing was just one of many issues with that mode. In the end it was basically just normal random battles (maps, spawns, victory conditions, ...) with a predefined setup. It didn't really resemble the historic reference in any way.

I agree that we could not get that without historical maps, and that would never happen.

But is the "predefined setup" a bad thing, I think it would make some historically meaningful tanks playable once again because new power crap premiums and post war tanks would not be dominating the battlefield...

Edited by Tomerell, 06 March 2020 - 11:09 AM.

ExclamationMark #12 Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [IDEAD] IDEAD
Is the E25 historical? :trollface:

Geno1isme #13 Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49365 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostTomerell, on 06 March 2020 - 12:07 PM, said:

But is the "predefined setup" a bad thing, I think it would make some historically meaningful tanks playable once again because new power crap premiums and post war tanks would not be dominating the battlefield...

It wouldn't really. As was said before, most people were queuing up for the top-tier tanks and not for the "cannonfodder", so queue times were a massive issue. Also which historic tank do you think isn't playable at the moment? Only candidates in my book would be the british heavies, but that's due to their abysmal speed rather than the MM so the mode wouldn't change that.

Edited by Geno1isme, 06 March 2020 - 11:57 AM.

24doom24 #14 Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9202 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Tried and failed

Gremlin182 #15 Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61843 battles

Problem with the historical mode when they tried it out years ago was it was not balanced.

German tanks were always outnumbered because they had stronger armoured tanks.

Even so I found myself nearly always playing a hellcat you had the view range advantage and the gun was good enough.

Kill off the weaker German tanks like the PzIVs then mob the 2 surviving stronger German tanks.

If they cold repeat it with equal number balanced teams then maybe it could work as could a PVE variant

Or how about a Frontline Style Historical battle with 30 vs 30 and respawns

Edited by Gremlin182, 06 March 2020 - 12:14 PM.

Captain_Kremen0 #16 Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39750 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

The problem with a historical mode is that history is ...well....kinda boring.

Nobody would play the Tiger if it broke down every 5 mins that's for sure.

Homer_J #17 Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:46 PM

Field Marshal

• 33644 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTomerell, on 06 March 2020 - 10:07 AM, said:

Maybe if you are forced to choose several different tanks to queue with and from there MM pick up suitable combination for each battle...

If you do that then you will have to force them to select historical mode because most won't want to queue up knowing there is more chance they will get the tank they don't want than the one they do.  And if you are going to force them to play that mode you might also have to force them to play WoT, which is going to be even more difficult.

arthurwellsley #18 Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54937 battles

View PostTomerell, on 06 March 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

I have played rival game for some time, and there they had very good and playable historic battle mode (before they changed and ruined it).

I'm wondering could a similar game mode alongside with random and other battle modes work in WOT. In this historic battle mode you would be playing nation vs. nation with only true historic tanks tied in certain time frame e.g. operation Barbarossa 1941 etc.

This could bring some yearned variety to random battles. What are your opinions on this???

World of Tanks had an historic mode well before that other game.

However WoT historic mode was deemed a failure by WG and removed.

Certainly a pity and I would like it to return. However from the posters above me you can see that the last time WG tried to implement it, the mode had all sorts of problems.

However WG has learnt quite a lot about it's player basis since those days and I believe it would now be possible for WG to re-think historic mode.

Like the present Womens Day/month, the marathons, and the rewards for Frontlines/Steelhunter, it would be possible to incentivise the player basis to play less popular tanks for reward tokens.

Thus queues were very long if you previously picked Tiger I as it was so iconic. Easy make the reward for Tiger I the lowest denominator. Make the M4 or T34 earn more rewards. In the historic El Alamein battle Matilda's were a more popular choice than Valentines so more reward for playing a Valentine and less for a Matilda etc. Set up historic mode to only run for a fourteen day period, and reward players for the number of stamps won per day, or integrate it into the Frontlines/Steelhunter series for those rewards.

The other problem previously was tank balance. But again I think WG have learnt from their data and would be better able to balance the historic vehicles now by altering their characteristics for this mode. Thus if a player had a Tiger I in their garage they could queue for Tiger slot, but the ingame historic mode Tiger might be weaker than the tier VII used in randoms. Steelhunter has altered tanks, it's just you are not required to have the corresponding vehicle in your garage.

The advantage of bringing back historic mode for WG would be that players would be encouraged to keep historic tanks in their garage such as T34 or Valentine, and so would need more silver, more crews, and more garage slots.

For players it's another mode, and would provide a third alternative to Frontlines/Steelhunter

MeetriX #19 Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25628 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View PostTomerell, on 06 March 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

WoT was faster. It was ruined at the very beginning.

14:56 Added after 4 minute

View PostSlyspy, on 06 March 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Battles? That's a plural. Did you manage to play several battles?

I tried many times and only got to play one battle.:(

1ucky #20 Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 91677 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

I'd play that mode.

But I think it would probably need some prize (premium tank, bonds, gold, whatever...), in order to work.

Needs to pay off in some way, otherwise not enough people would play it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users