Legal mod but is it risky using it

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Gremlin182 #1 Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61960 battles

This mod is part of Aslains current modpack and has been for some time.

Prior to the addition of wheeled vehicles I used the now banned version of this mod when you are driving a fast light tank and trying to get an autolock on another fast tank the mod was at times a life saver.

WG banned it and it took me weeks to learn how to play without it.

Wheeled vehicles have the autoaim modification that is illegal for other tanks.

I have no problem with that as I have adjusted to normal aiming and autoaim.

But if this "legit" version of autoaim is here to stay well I want to start using it.

But if WG intends to remove this version as well then forget it.

Hopefully my post here and the ticket I intend to send in will get some response.

Don't want to learn to depend on this version only to have it removed or worse yet get a ban for using it.

Over to you WG is this approved disapproved legal illegal about to be added to the game ?

Attached Files

• Attached File   Untitled (Large).jpg   84.73K

Flavortown #2 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17314 battles
  • [R4YD] R4YD
just learn to aim buddy

Spurtung #3 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostGremlin182, on 07 March 2020 - 07:51 PM, said:

it took me weeks to learn how to play without it.

Oh, so now you know how to play?

splash_time #4 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I use the usual aim, and I only auto aim when I focus on driving but meanwhile I know that when I fire my shoot will penetrate. Especially for clipping tanks.

And why you need it anyway? How many times you actually auto aim in a battle? 

Slyspy #5 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14987 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
That version has been around since the old version was banned and has been a feature of Aslain's all the while it has been on the official mod download portal. 

hoveruss #6 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21767 battles
  • [E-VO] E-VO

Its Aslain, its in the modhub, its legal.

Until it's removed. Then I'll stop using it.

Gremlin182 #7 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61960 battles

I can aim I do aim and only use autoaim under certain circumstances.

Mostly as I say its I am in a fast light tank dog fighting with another such tank if you get an autoaim lock you can concentrate on the driving so you don't hit a rock and stop dead flip or drive off a cliff.

While I am doing that the turret is tracking the enemy tank and when the time is right I can fire.

Use it also for taking out wheeled vehicles in whatever tank I am driving autoaim and when he changes direction or stops I can fire in the split second I do not need to lead the target.

Light vs wheeled they have the advantage in a fight I can out spot them but if its 1 on 1 they have the HESH ammo and for the most part I do not.

That combined with the autoaim lock fast turret traverse and low aimtime gives them an edge.

I want to even things up but only if WG are sure they are going to leave it in the game for any of us to use.

Balc0ra #8 Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76437 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Well, the WG version are only for wheeled indeed. But still has a limited use area, so it doesn't work all the time if you will. The closer you are to your target, the closer you have to click on it. As the gun has two lines going out from it an angle creating an area of effect. And the lock on only works on target in that area, not outside of it like the mod does regardless of distance. Thus the mod is still banned due to that difference.

etody77 #9 Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 78519 battles
  • [JMA] JMA

the version with autoaim tanks in proximity of your aimpoint is illegal

Like that used by cars

the autoaim from Aslain modpack allow you to enable autoaim, but you need to put the mouse point on the enemy tank to activate autoaim

you still need to left click the mouse, and to point the enemy

usefull for light tanks, i used this version while playing cars instead of WG autoaim lock, because the mod left me the freedom to choose my target

NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36048 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostSpurtung, on 07 March 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostGremlin182, on 07 March 2020 - 08:51 PM, said:

it took me weeks to learn how to play without it.

Oh, so now you know how to play?

You know that feeling when you make a thread, and ask a question, but your answer is in your own opening post?

This is it.

Miepie #11 Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5751 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postetody77, on 07 March 2020 - 10:21 PM, said:

i used this version while playing cars instead of WG autoaim lock, because the mod left me the freedom to choose my target

Hmm? Are you saying that when you drive wheeled vehicles without your mod, the game decides who you (try to) shoot at? :amazed:

Gremlin182 #12 Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61960 battles

I asked the question because I wanted player opinion but also the official position.

Happy to use any mod that either makes the game look better or adds something I think the game needs.

As long as WG are happy I am happy.

Maybe its my age but there are times when you are moving rapidly and so is the target and you are trying to right click during the fraction of a second you have the target centered.

I can also get confused by the reticle as you have the center marker and the aim circle one remains in the center of my screen the other one moves.

And here is this 69 year old right clicking like crazy and eventually getting a lock..

So far as I am concerned if one light tank has it then so should all but thats not my call meanwhile I will use any legal advantage I can get.

WoT_RU_Doing #13 Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:34 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 61655 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

What are mods? 

Seriously though, one of the reasons I don't use any is that there have been quite a number of people complaining on the forum over the years that they got a ban, but only ever used "legal" mods. Now I know that in some cases it transpired that they DID only use legal mods, except when they paid some other party to do all their missions for them, and that party used the mods, or, they just lied, and actually did use illegal mods. However, it's possible that some of them have honestly never used anything that's not approved, so I've not wanted to risk it.

This is further compounded by the fact that many of the larger mod packs appear to have the odd thing here or there that shouldn't be legal according to the rules, and I believe that WG simply missed that particular capability when they reviewed the pack that they subsequently approved. So, again, if they review it again later and suddenly find the function, anyone using it at the time may get a ban.

Totally unrelated to all of this is my biggest reason for not using any mods, and that's because I simply got tired of waiting a couple of hours for QB to update his modpack, then downloading and installing it, every time WG made an update to the game. 

So meanwhile I can only hope that WG implement the same functionality for other tank types. But if you are used to playing without it now, I think you're better staying without it.  

Spurtung #14 Posted 08 March 2020 - 05:12 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostGremlin182, on 07 March 2020 - 08:38 PM, said:

Light vs wheeled they have the advantage in a fight I can out spot them but if its 1 on 1 they have the HESH ammo and for the most part I do not.

That combined with the autoaim lock fast turret traverse and low aimtime gives them an edge.

I want to even things up but only if WG are sure they are going to leave it in the game for any of us to use.

I see, you want to fight them the way they excel at and think you should be given the proper tools to pursue that endeavor.

Sounds reasonable. 

etody77 #15 Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 78519 battles
  • [JMA] JMA

View PostMiepie, on 08 March 2020 - 12:05 AM, said:

Hmm? Are you saying that when you drive wheeled vehicles without your mod, the game decides who you (try to) shoot at? :amazed:

the game is autolocking the nearest tank from where your gun is pointed, if u play cars

like in the banned autoaim mod

wsatnutter #16 Posted 08 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 27022 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
if your in any doubt don't use it

Richthoffen #17 Posted 08 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32145 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

the banned version locks on when you have your aim circle somewhere on target, this on locks on when you have the crosshairs on the tank on the tank, it only extends the periode the game tries to lock on.

not sure if that doesn't give a certain advantage but if it does that would be minimal.

m1x_angelico #18 Posted 08 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27910 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

The current versions of Aslain's is always legit.

I know the mod u speak of. I had to stop using it when it was still legal as it was f-ing up my shooting too much. Automation is cool, but too much reliance of automation is bad. You will have to adjust your game a bit, that's for sure.

Randomar #19 Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:15 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31431 battles

View PostMiepie, on 08 March 2020 - 12:05 AM, said:

View PostRichthoffen, on 08 March 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

the banned version locks on when you have your aim circle somewhere on target, this on locks on when you have the crosshairs on the tank on the tank, it only extends the periode the game tries to lock on.

not sure if that doesn't give a certain advantage but if it does that would be minimal.

The reason for the ban was, that we was able to lock on at targets through a solid cover.

With the legal version you still can configure the diameter of the aiming circle and the time you have to point with the mouse.

A cheat is a cheat, don't has to follow rules. I can believe that there are cheats who automatically scan the surrounding for the best target.

Let's say you have a player with a Premium vehicle. He is using a cheat like that. We feel save behind a bush. When reported, WG is looking at the replay and see a Wheelie or a Progetto, doing a lock-on on a target. Beep-beep, lock on successful, target revealed. It could also be a coincidence. How should Wargaming prove such a cheat?

But it is two completely different facts, to be helpless against a cheat like this
or
selling a Premium Vehicle with exactly those forbidden features.

Related:
Why can the wheeled vehicles lock on targets with a magnetic rightclick?
http://forum.worldof...tic-rightclick/

CmdRatScabies #20 Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38551 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostRandomar, on 16 March 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

With the legal version you still can configure the diameter of the aiming circle and the time you have to point with the mouse.

I don't use it but as far as I know with the current legal version, you have to get an outline before you can lock on.  If you're using a version that allows you to adjust the cone & lock on without a silhouette then sounds like you're using a dodgy version.

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 16 March 2020 - 06:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users