Jump to content


Sturmtiger: Do you want this historical beast in the game?

sturmtiger German TD

  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

iMagniFico #1 Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:40 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8317 battles
  • 91
  • Member since:
    08-28-2017

 

Saw this on Reddit, thought I'd get your thoughts on this TD. maybe if there is enough interest, WG will put it in the game?

 

Per Wiki: 

Block Quote

 Sturmtiger (German: "Assault Tiger") was a World War II German assault gun built on the Tiger I chassis and armed with a 380mm rocket-propelled round. The official German designation was Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61. Its primary task was to provide heavy fire support for infantry units fighting in urban areas. The few vehicles produced fought in the Warsaw Uprising, the Battle of the Bulge and the Battle of the Reichswald. The fighting vehicle is also known by various informal names, among which the Sturmtiger became the most popular.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmtiger

 

 

 

 

More photos: 

https://imgur.com/r/tankporn/OhavN

 


Edited by iMagniFico, 10 March 2020 - 12:41 AM.


Galan7891 #2 Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:54 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8884 battles
  • 172
  • Member since:
    02-22-2018
It is  German TD which is one of the favourite things WG likes to make premiums so it should be possible.But it would be propably made into another derp gun..Personally no i would rather not see it in game.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:55 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 76387 battles
  • 22,402
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

Keep in mind, they already did test it. But could not balance it right. And one story was that Overlord played it "head of the old balance department", saw how broken it was and killed it off. As his caliber could overmatch most HT's. When you have a 380mm gun combined with the 3 caliber rule. It proved not to be suited for lower tiers and proved tricky to balance for any tier. He one-shotted several tier X HT's, inc an E100. And he called it off right there. That was the last test run we heard about.

 

I did appear as an Easter-egg in one of the maps "now removed" inside a hangar. And was on display in the 5-year anniversary hangar just under 5 years ago.

 

The video below will show how the model did look at one point on the map they did hide it on.

Spoiler

 

Here is a clip from the 5 year anniversary hangar. You could not really see it unless you went free cam. But it was there. Along with the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte tank seen early in the clip. That was their April fools joke several years ago.

Spoiler

 


Edited by Balc0ra, 10 March 2020 - 12:59 AM.


PeaceWalker1 #4 Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:11 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18282 battles
  • 1,309
  • [-WIR_] -WIR_
  • Member since:
    01-21-2012

I would love to see it ingame, but i doubt it could be balanced, so maybe use it as some sort of even vehicle ?  

Anyway, i saw it in real life in Munster not even a week ago. It was hella cool.



Tha_Truth #5 Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:19 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 78786 battles
  • 127
  • [E-VO] E-VO
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011

View PostBalc0ra, on 10 March 2020 - 12:55 AM, said:

Keep in mind, they already did test it. But could not balance it right. And one story was that Overlord played it "head of the old balance department", saw how broken it was and killed it off. As his caliber could overmatch most HT's. When you have a 380mm gun combined with the 3 caliber rule. It proved not to be suited for lower tiers and proved tricky to balance for any tier. He one-shotted several tier X HT's, inc an E100. And he called it off right there. That was the last test run we heard about.

 

I did appear as an Easter-egg in one of the maps "now removed" inside a hangar. And was on display in the 5-year anniversary hangar just under 5 years ago.

 

The video below will show how the model did look at one point on the map they did hide it on.

Spoiler

 

Here is a clip from the 5 year anniversary hangar. You could not really see it unless you went free cam. But it was there. Along with the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte tank seen early in the clip. That was their April fools joke several years ago.

Spoiler

 

 

 

thanks !


Edited by Tha_Truth, 10 March 2020 - 02:22 AM.


iMagniFico #6 Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:08 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8317 battles
  • 91
  • Member since:
    08-28-2017

View PostBalc0ra, on 10 March 2020 - 12:55 AM, said:

Keep in mind, they already did test it. But could not balance it right. And one story was that Overlord played it "head of the old balance department", saw how broken it was and killed it off. As his caliber could overmatch most HT's. When you have a 380mm gun combined with the 3 caliber rule. It proved not to be suited for lower tiers and proved tricky to balance for any tier. He one-shotted several tier X HT's, inc an E100. And he called it off right there. That was the last test run we heard about.

 

I did appear as an Easter-egg in one of the maps "now removed" inside a hangar. And was on display in the 5-year anniversary hangar just under 5 years ago.

 

The video below will show how the model did look at one point on the map they did hide it on.

Spoiler

 

Here is a clip from the 5 year anniversary hangar. You could not really see it unless you went free cam. But it was there. Along with the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte tank seen early in the clip. That was their April fools joke several years ago.

Spoiler

 

 

Man so it's ready to get into the game. Maybe they can make it a tier11 tank?



N3rv0u5_M1c0 #7 Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 57702 battles
  • 345
  • [NERVA] NERVA
  • Member since:
    06-03-2012
I would love to see this monster in game, so bletiful.

StronkiTonki #8 Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:03 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Clan Commander
  • 35276 battles
  • 1,239
  • [T0AST] T0AST
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011

I'd love to see it. Genuinely.

But I have no idea in hell how to ever balance it.

 

Firstly I'd have no idea what tier it should be.
Then the accuracy and aim time will be a horror to figure out.

And then the actual damage and reload time.

 

People would definitely want it to do a lot of damage. But it could easily end up being a very toxic vehicle that can ruin games for people as well.

It should clearly be a derp gun.

But how much alpha should it have? Should it be a tier 10?

Woulod 2000 alpha be enough? Or does it need 3000? Or even more?

And then how much pen? It would definitely one shot a lot of tanks depending on how much pen it has.

Will it get a 40 second reload? Or even 60 seconds?

I really have no clue how to ever balance something like this.


Edited by StronkiTonki, 10 March 2020 - 07:09 AM.


Zmago5000 #9 Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 16520 battles
  • 1,246
  • Member since:
    11-24-2018

YES!

1500 dmg alpha, 30s reload


Edited by Zmago5000, 10 March 2020 - 07:14 AM.


splash_time #10 Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 15611 battles
  • 1,455
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-20-2018

View PostStronkiTonki, on 10 March 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

I'd love to see it. Genuinely.

But I have no idea in hell how to ever balance it.

 

Firstly I'd have no idea what tier it should be.
Then the accuracy and aim time will be a horror to figure out.

And then the actual damage and reload time.

 

People would definitely want it to do a lot of damage. But it could easily end up being a very toxic vehicle that can ruin games for people as well.

It should clearly be a derp gun.

But how much alpha should it have? Should it be a tier 10?

Woulod 2000 alpha be enough? Or does it need 3000? Or even more?

And then how much pen? It would definitely one shot a lot of tanks depending on how much pen it has.

Will it get a 40 second reload? Or even 60 seconds?

I really have no clue how to ever balance something like this.

 

Hm, the 183's are already dominating T9s and T8s. Imagine if 380 mmjoin in.... it'll probably one shoot a Maus. Which will lead to a ridiculously bad situation and bad balance. 

 

Also the highest base penetration is 310, what you think the 380 should get? Its 2x of a 183 mm, so, 620 mm base penetration? Even Chif turret won't last against it, not to mention it's special ammo balancing. :hiding: :mellow:

 

Edit: Also consider that how awful and derpy the gun would be with that size! So I guess the minimum accuracy it'll get would be 0.45. :D


Edited by splash_time, 10 March 2020 - 07:27 AM.


shikaka9 #11 Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 76356 battles
  • 1,946
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    02-27-2013
add it as emblem or decal :trollface:

Three_Rounds_Rapid #12 Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 47024 battles
  • 723
  • [W__F] W__F
  • Member since:
    02-24-2015


Thlurp #13 Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 15417 battles
  • 700
  • Member since:
    08-15-2012

in terms of age i'd probly place it at t5-7...
 

and it would be the FV4000 for that tier, toxic onehitting stuff.
if they couldnt balance it then, it would be worse today



Jin91 #14 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2906 battles
  • 286
  • Member since:
    12-29-2018
People are worried about the balance yet we have EBR and many others. What's one more going to do? 

Spurtung #15 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:17 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 78602 battles
  • 7,753
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

Fresh suggestions.

 

*yawn*



So_So_English #16 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11160 battles
  • 339
  • [PTS] PTS
  • Member since:
    03-26-2018

yes and no

 

yes because it would be fun in a stupid way, so actually surprised WG not introduced it already as stupid seems the be their standard approach to every choice

no, because WG would soon introduce a 'russian' version with three shot auto-reloader, 10 second reload, 1 second intra clip and reload gets faster the more you shoot ala IS3-A, add in Russian armour and they would make it a tier 8 premium and say screw the game even  more



gitgud_cannot #17 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33218 battles
  • 1,847
  • Member since:
    10-31-2013
tier 8 premium, if they ever introduce it :D

So_So_English #18 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:23 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11160 battles
  • 339
  • [PTS] PTS
  • Member since:
    03-26-2018

View PostZmago5000, on 10 March 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

YES!

1500 dmg alpha, 30s reload


and according to Hilary Doyle it destroys everything in a 500m radius !!

 

1 shot MINES !!!!!!



SuperOlsson #19 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:27 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24631 battles
  • 1,280
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM
  • Member since:
    08-07-2012

View Postsplash_time, on 10 March 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

 

Hm, the 183's are already dominating T9s and T8s. Imagine if 380 mmjoin in.... it'll probably one shoot a Maus. Which will lead to a ridiculously bad situation and bad balance. 

 

Also the highest base penetration is 310, what you think the 380 should get? Its 2x of a 183 mm, so, 620 mm base penetration? Even Chif turret won't last against it, not to mention it's special ammo balancing. :hiding: :mellow:

 

Edit: Also consider that how awful and derpy the gun would be with that size! So I guess the minimum accuracy it'll get would be 0.45. :D

It kinda fired rockets with a muzzle velocity of ~250 m/s, so armour penetration would be extremely bad. The tank was never meant to penetrate armor anyways, instead relying only on high explosive. Also several sturmtigers had trouble hitting and destroying a bridge, so if dispersion would be modelled somewhat accurate, it should probably be like 40 meters or so, and people complain about  e-50m's accuracy at .29 meters.


Edited by SuperOlsson, 10 March 2020 - 08:28 AM.


BlackBloodBandit #20 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:49 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 9794 battles
  • 917
  • Member since:
    12-23-2018

I see it's German, so no, as we already have tons of td's in that tech tree.

Also I see a derp gun: clearly a no no







Also tagged with sturmtiger, German TD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users