Words of actual praise for WG, I know right, plus a suggestion relating to news article

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

will0hlep #1 Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12323 battles
  • [TD_UK] TD_UK

Your news article informing us of the number of accounts that you have banned for cheating is a great idea and shows that you are dealing with the issue of illegal mods. (not that i believe it to be a large issue in your game, far too many players think that every player who is better than them is cheating instead of recognising and learning from their mistakes.) Openness is a quality we don't see enough from you.

I believe making this article a monthly thing would really help your image. In this monthly article, i'd suggest also publishing: 1) the number of active accounts that month (to show to that cheating is being dealt with across the entire player base), 2) a case study talking about a randomly chosen and unnamed account that you have banned in the last month showing details of what they did and how they were caught as a warning to others and also to show the player base what work you are doing.

Edited by will0hlep, 10 March 2020 - 02:15 PM.

unhappy__bunny #2 Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

Brigadier

• 20870 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I agree with point 1. A monthly update would be nice, but I am not sure what WG's timescales are for ban waves. 

Point 2 however, I think would be a mistake. WG would be giving their detection methods away. If you can read how WG detect then so can the cheat makers, and they will be able to work around the detection methods with greater easy.

NekoPuffer_PPP #3 Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36048 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 10 March 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

Point 2 however, I think would be a mistake. WG would be giving their detection methods away. If you can read how WG detect then so can the cheat makers, and they will be able to work around the detection methods with greater ease.

Well, they don't need to go into detail, they could just show a short clip (or multiple) of gameplay which includes illegal mods, showing what you're not allowed to use.

If they could also explain some in-game mechanics and situations which many inexperienced players think is cheating, but actually isn't, that would be great too. But, let's be honest - how many players would actually see those videos?...a couple thousand, sure, but what about all the rest? Most will remain oblivious...that's just how it goes.

Spurtung #4 Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:39 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View Postwill0hlep, on 10 March 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

Openness is a quality we don't see enough from you.

Openness would be also releasing a list of names that could be verified, if not for the temporary bans, certainly for the permanent.

As it is, they can announce whatever figures they want, and you'll think they're doing something even if they're not.

This can also be a simple case of cleaning out old and inactive accounts, there's just no way to tell.

But openness? That, this is not.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #5 Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 36329 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostSpurtung, on 11 March 2020 - 02:39 AM, said:

Openness would be also releasing a list of names that could be verified, if not for the temporary bans, certainly for the permanent.

As it is, they can announce whatever figures they want, and you'll think they're doing something even if they're not.

This can also be a simple case of cleaning out old and inactive accounts, there's just no way to tell.

But openness? That, this is not.

It would it be a 5 minute job to generate a bunch of fake accounts you could verify that they can 'ban' every month if they really wanted to pretend they were actively doing something whilst not.

That's the trouble with choosing not to believe WG, it's very simple to find ways to continue that belief whether they are seen to be doing something or not.

Spurtung #6 Posted 11 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 11 March 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

It would it be a 5 minute job to generate a bunch of fake accounts you could verify that they can 'ban' every month if they really wanted to pretend they were actively doing something whilst not.

That's the trouble with choosing not to believe WG, it's very simple to find ways to continue that belief whether they are seen to be doing something or not.

That's true.

Also, every now and then one of those banned accounts comes by the forums claiming they did nothing wrong and at least one could see those in the lists.

Which is a bit of the crux of this: permanently banned accounts are not divulged due to naming and shaming rules, and that is simply odd for WG to invoke.

eldrak #7 Posted 11 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53310 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 10 March 2020 - 07:39 PM, said:

Well, they don't need to go into detail, they could just show a short clip (or multiple) of gameplay which includes illegal mods, showing what you're not allowed to use.

If they could also explain some in-game mechanics and situations which many inexperienced players think is cheating, but actually isn't, that would be great too. But, let's be honest - how many players would actually see those videos?...a couple thousand, sure, but what about all the rest? Most will remain oblivious...that's just how it goes.

The old tutorial/info videos about view range were actually very good.

They should be updated to the current graphics and rereleased.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users