Defending on Frontline, what on earth?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Geoffrey_Ironfist #1 Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31947 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
I tried out Frontline for the first time. Just about every time we were defending, it seemed everyone went as far back as possible and watched me die. That was the main tactic of my teams. Then as soon as I re-entered, everyone moved as far back as possible, watched me die and so on and so forth. I was being shot from every side by unspotted tanks because everyone just kept falling back as much as possible. Even if I could spot enemy tanks no one was shooting. What's the idea behind this tactic? I would very much like to know, so I can stay in tune with the rest of the team.

LethalWalou #2 Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34826 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 10 March 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

I tried out Frontline for the first time. Just about every time we were defending, it seemed everyone went as far back as possible and watched me die. That was the main tactic of my teams. Then as soon as I re-entered, everyone moved as far back as possible, watched me die and so on and so forth. I was being shot from every side by unspotted tanks because everyone just kept falling back as much as possible. Even if I could spot enemy tanks no one was shooting. What's the idea behind this tactic? I would very much like to know, so I can stay in tune with the rest of the team.

'

Did you notice that there are these things called bases that enemies capture and once they do capture them, your team has to fall back.

Anyways, I doubt immediately after you spawned, everyone fell back. If you really claim that, then replay please.

Edited by LethalWalou, 10 March 2020 - 10:26 PM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76387 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

You don't want to push too far too early when defending. As they have guns surrounding the cap too on the other side or on the flanks that can hit you. So wait for them to push, learn the spots where you can reset or spot the cap. And take it from there. It's gonna take a bit getting into, as it's a huge map to learn.

Don't play sluggers or super heavies like the TS-5 or VK 100.01. Mediums or lights with mobility and view range is what can work the best. Clips work the best, as then you can reset lock one or several cappers and get safe again.

Private_Miros #4 Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27111 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87
On a related note, I'm starting to doubt that Frontline is actually making me more credits per hour than randoms... And it's not even that fun.

Geoffrey_Ironfist #5 Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31947 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

View PostLethalWalou, on 10 March 2020 - 10:26 PM, said:

'

Did you notice that there are these things called bases that enemies capture and once they do capture them, your team has to fall back.

Anyways, I doubt immediately after you spawned, everyone fell back. If you really claim that, then replay please.

Should I post it on youtube? Maybe I will make a collection and do that.

TomatoShooter #6 Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 1136 battles
Forget about the objectives, when defending do as much damage as possible, preferably to tanks in the cap circle..

Robbie_T #7 Posted 11 March 2020 - 03:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21979 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostGeoffrey_Ironfist, on 10 March 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

I know what you mean and i must say it was worse in the beginning.

And what i hate the most on B cap the team is defending not decapping if you decap the first wave ,they wont cap as fast a second time...

But you have teams that all hide behind the big rock and the B cap is taken in  1 minute from starting the game.

And than you say i dont want to die......you will die 30 seconds later when the whole enemy team will be advancing.

And than the A en C cap get flanked from the sides.

but yeah those are also the people who are camping the redline in random battles with minimap off.

trispect #8 Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 36049 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 10 March 2020 - 11:33 PM, said:

On a related note, I'm starting to doubt that Frontline is actually making me more credits per hour than randoms... And it's not even that fun.

Well with the tier credit bonuses, it should. With boosters on and credit bonuses you get, I have made 1,2M credits per hour.

OrtegaSLO #9 Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:34 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45657 battles
  • [U-WOT] U-WOT

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 10 March 2020 - 10:33 PM, said:

with premium tank and boosters around 500k in 20min

u cant do that in randoms. 

TankkiPoju #10 Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25138 battles

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 10 March 2020 - 10:33 PM, said:

It hasn't made more credits than randoms since the very first season of Frontline. After that, WG nerfed the credit gain.

splash_time #11 Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15611 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Why writing while you guys can share your replays from your last "Defenders" game. That should help him more than chatting I believe. 
07:02 Added after 1 minute

View PostTankkiPoju, on 11 March 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

It hasn't made more credits than randoms since the very first season of Frontline. After that, WG nerfed the credit gain.

And yes, I remember that I got 300k in the second season (i mean the first episode) last year, by only playing Pantera, bc12t and CAX with boosters.

Edited by splash_time, 11 March 2020 - 08:03 AM.

tajj7 #12 Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

This possibly sounds like the defending team giving up the caps to extend the game. 

The whole point of defending really is to just extend the game time, you don't want a game that ends too quickly. So if attackers are struggling, the more switched on defending teams will let them have caps. 

splash_time #13 Posted 11 March 2020 - 10:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15611 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

My own battle from yesterday, i was defender on Normandy and i managed to reach General.

i hope it helps you. 

Edited by splash_time, 11 March 2020 - 10:41 AM.

BattleMetalChris #14 Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9684 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The worst thing about frontline is that there's a specific handful of tanks you need to have and if you don't have them you may as well not bother. 

N3rv0u5_M1c0 #15 Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 57702 battles
  • [NERVA] NERVA

FL defending isnt ok, attackers have massive advantage. They should change that.. defending is imposiible, if team drives in cap at first with all tanks its gg

Geoffrey_Ironfist #16 Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31947 battles
  • [YBB] YBB

View Posttajj7, on 11 March 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

This possibly sounds like the defending team giving up the caps to extend the game. 

The whole point of defending really is to just extend the game time, you don't want a game that ends too quickly. So if attackers are struggling, the more switched on defending teams will let them have caps. 

I guess it is that, thanks. I was rushing into the cap circle to forestall the enemy team and everyone else behind me seemed happy to keep their distance because all is well as long as the final line holds and by surviving the first fight alive they can get to use their arty strikes etc. It was probably something like that.

On the other hand, all the enemy team that got through alive would get to use their air strikes later, too. I think we are back at the situation of fighting alone against 29 other players.

Edited by Geoffrey_Ironfist, 11 March 2020 - 09:52 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #17 Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

Bartender

• 19207 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostN3rv0u5_M1c0, on 11 March 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

FL defending isnt ok, attackers have massive advantage. They should change that.. defending is imposiible, if team drives in cap at first with all tanks its gg

Normandy Defending is utterly abysmal and genuinely feels like you've been kicked in the rear, whereas Kraftwerk Defending IMO Is fine, the only problem being the change to the resupply points at the end into very open positions. The resupps only being available to the Defenders before effectively was a bad thing, but moving them to where they are now is purely a buff to the Attackers.

StronkiTonki #18 Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 35276 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

I usually just yolo around in a fast tank, trying to get sideshots of tanks trying to cap or engage my allies.

At other moments I get behind enemy lines, hunt myself some arties and give the enemies some surprise buttsechs. :trollface:

In the end, Frontline just comes down to experience. Just keep playing, and you'll start seeing how maps are getting played, what the usual spots are and so on.

Trust me, it took me more than half a year last year until I finally started understanding the meta.

Extra tip: Usually, B and A get capped first. Then E and D. Only after that C and F.

Remember: "Usually"

There will be moments where out of nowhere C gets capped first. But y'know. Knowing this order will help you predict things a bit easier, lets you know where to spawn and where the next fight is gonna be most likely.

But don't just rely on that order, also just look at the map yourself.

Alfa_Tau #19 Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:11 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14959 battles

What I have experienced in Frontline Kraftwerk map, is that there are way less people playing arta.

At the beginning I was surprised but then I did a try myself and I realized that there are much more obstacle that prevent the use of artillery in comparison to the other map.

Kraftwerk can be frustrating for defeders because the attackers have a lot of safe places from where they can cap and not being shot at from the distance.

06:19 Added after 7 minute

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 11 March 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

The worst thing about frontline is that there's a specific handful of tanks you need to have and if you don't have them you may as well not bother. 

This is not really true. 

Yesterday I had a very good game in a STA 2. And my best game was in ARTA, on Normandy. I reached General having only 3k damage :P

Due the specific mode fast tanks are more flexible. I see plenty of HT that simply die on the spot after the zone is capped cause they do not have the mobility to run out of the zone in 40 sec. 

I personally chose them only when I defend the final objective or in attack to gain a cap wich is heavily defended. 

:great:

TheDrownedApe #20 Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51883 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
I don't care who wins. I'm not grinding anything. 3/4 Prems and bbooster and its like I'm swimming in silver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users