How to play the STB-1?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

leonzawodowiec15 #1 Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

I'm having a terrible time in it and I have no clue how to use it. Currently my games are either unsuccesfull ridgeline pushes due to artillery spam (my god, the 600 average rolls damage my soul) or complete destruction of the ridgeline that I'm on (enemies just stay below my gun and let me farm them). I can't find a way to play this tank. I can't play it like Obj 140 due to poor accuracy and mediocre turret armor. I can't fight it on ridgelines because everytime I do that I have to pray that artillery doesn't focus me. This tank for me is super frustrating to play and I want to know what I'm doing wrong. I'll gladly listen to any tips from any of you experienced with that tank. 

My stats: https://imgur.com/a/bVahm7u

Edited by leonzawodowiec15, 12 March 2020 - 05:22 PM.

tank276 #2 Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54852 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

I am terrible at it too, something like 43% WR.

I just stick to my type 61 with 57% WR :hiding:

My general advice would be , play safe up to mid game, THEN try to play the hull down warrior in suitable ridges or other areas.

I know you will miss most of your sniper shots at the first leg of the game, but this thing becomes a monster when you have to face 6-8 enemies at half health and randomly dispersed through the map.

My 2 cents

OneSock #3 Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42769 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

I wish I knew. My stats are similar to yours, slightly higher, yet my average XP is lower and my WR sits on 42.5%

I don't know if I'm too aggressive; should I snipe more ? or am I not being aggressive enough ?

Or is it that, so many people in tier 10 are using full set of bond equipment and directives to the max ? IDK.

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10494 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

For the most part; hulldown guerilla.

Something that the rest of the MT line should already have taught you, except now your turret has a chance to actually bounce something.

Also, choosing not to go ridgelines with this tank is, imo, the worst decision you can make, since that is where this tank should excel at due to its -14° of gun depression.

splash_time #5 Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15574 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postleonzawodowiec15, on 12 March 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

I'm having a terrible time in it and I have no clue how to use it. Currently my games are either unsuccesfull ridgeline pushes due to artillery spam (my god, the 600 average rolls damage my soul) or complete destruction of the ridgeline that I'm on (enemies just stay below my gun and let me farm them). I can't find a way to play this tank. I can't play it like Obj 140 due to poor accuracy and mediocre turret armor. I can't fight it on ridgelines because everytime I do that I have to pray that artillery doesn't focus me. This tank for me is super frustrating to play and I want to know what I'm doing wrong. I'll gladly listen to any tips from any of you experienced with that tank. 

My stats: https://imgur.com/a/bVahm7u

you're average damage is 1.6 with a 3k base DPM tank!!...And you take damage more than what you deal. That's the problem mate, you should aim more, and also, don't over push a line, stay with your team, and if you see a lot of artys? Leave there after taking one hit, and try to find a better angel where you can hide for arty and also to use your monstrous DPM.

Also don't over expose your tank, you have -14 gun depression, but it doesn't mean you should expose it more than needed against many enemies.

And don't count a lot on it's turret armour, because it's not 100% reliable. Solid but not impenetrable against HEAT.

And best thing i can advice you with, which in general, it's a tip for all tanks is, never over trust your tank, and know it's limits to perform decently. ;)

GL on battlefield. :)

leonzawodowiec15 #6 Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 12 March 2020 - 06:45 PM, said:

For the most part; hulldown guerilla.

Wow thanks! Never thought about that! 

18:10 Added after 3 minute

View Postsplash_time, on 12 March 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

you're average damage is 1.6 with a 3k base DPM tank!!...And you take damage more than what you deal. That's the problem mate, you should aim more, and also, don't over push a line, stay with your team, and if you see a lot of artys? Leave there after taking one hit, and try to find a better angel where you can hide for arty and also to use your monstrous DPM.

Also don't over expose your tank, you have -14 gun depression, but it doesn't mean you should expose it more than needed against many enemies.

And don't count a lot on it's turret armour, because it's not 100% reliable. Solid but not impenetrable against HEAT.

And best thing i can advice you with, which in general, it's a tip for all tanks is, never over trust your tank, and know it's limits to perform decently. ;)

GL on battlefield. :)

Aim more? I have 77% hit ratio in it, it's ok. I can't deal more because artillery completly destroys me every battle I play in it. I played way better in Type 61 and I enjoyed it much more. But I'll  use your very wise words at the end. I'm definitely  overtrusting this tank. It has such a good mobility on ridgeline I'm way too confident in it. Maybe that's why I perform better in Type 61. Because I'm more careful with it. Thanks alot!

d3ky99 #7 Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11811 battles
  • [NHCL] NHCL
Well im grinding the stb1 line to, i saw some players with stb1 doing very well, when i find my self against them with my leopard 1 they destroy me with their dpm and the stb 1 turret rarely gets penetrated by me cause i very rarely use gold ammo almost never, till i aim them they farm me so fast that i have to run away, the gun depression is amazing on stb 1 and now im sorry i got leopard 1 instead of stb 1 first, anyhow i am sure its a good tank on ridge lines, just check out some players on youtube, they do massive damage and they all play ridge lines.

leonzawodowiec15 #8 Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

View Postd3ky99, on 12 March 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

Well im grinding the stb1 line to, i saw some players with stb1 doing very well, when i find my self against them with my leopard 1 they destroy me with their dpm and the stb 1 turret rarely gets penetrated by me cause i very rarely use gold ammo almost never, till i aim them they farm me so fast that i have to run away, the gun depression is amazing on stb 1 and now im sorry i got leopard 1 instead of stb 1 first, anyhow i am sure its a good tank on ridge lines, just check out some players on youtube, they do massive damage and they all play ridge lines.

Why you trade dpm with STB-1 in Leopard tho? 

GodTank2 #9 Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9983 battles
  • [RF_] RF_
The STB-1 is one of the best medium tanks out there atm, the dpm and the fact that it can have 14 degrees of gun depression really make this tank extremely powerful. Learn to use its advantages. It cant be that arty hits you 100% of the time and you can only do 1.6k, there is definitely something else you are doing wrong.

leonzawodowiec15 #10 Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

View PostGodTank2, on 12 March 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

The STB-1 is one of the best medium tanks out there atm, the dpm and the fact that it can have 14 degrees of gun depression really make this tank extremely powerful. Learn to use its advantages. It cant be that arty hits you 100% of the time and you can only do 1.6k, there is definitely something else you are doing wrong.

Thanks! I'm so happy you pointed this out. I'll make a post and ask people what I might be doing wrong

You are right. Definitely arty doesn't hit me as much as I think, you know better what happens in my games than me.

Edited by leonzawodowiec15, 12 March 2020 - 08:44 PM.

Hamsterkicker #11 Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40267 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK
In the 7 vs 7 mode it was my go to tank. In randoms though.. I have the same issues..

WindSplitter1 #12 Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20806 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View Posttank276, on 12 March 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

I am terrible at it too, something like 43% WR.

I just stick to my type 61 with 57% WR :hiding:

My general advice would be , play safe up to mid game, THEN try to play the hull down warrior in suitable ridges or other areas.

I know you will miss most of your sniper shots at the first leg of the game, but this thing becomes a monster when you have to face 6-8 enemies at half health and randomly dispersed through the map.

My 2 cents

Type 61 is good with Stock or Top gun?

GodTank2 #13 Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9983 battles
  • [RF_] RF_

View Postleonzawodowiec15, on 12 March 2020 - 09:35 PM, said:

Thanks! I'm so happy you pointed this out. I'll make a post and ask people what I might be doing wrong

You are right. Definitely arty doesn't hit me as much as I think, you know better what happens in my games than me.

If you know what happens in your games why are you here asking how to play? 

but dont worry everything you do is perfect!! Its always the arty that ruin your games! Their whole focus is on you and only you!

leonzawodowiec15 #14 Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

View PostGodTank2, on 12 March 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

If you know what happens in your games why are you here asking how to play? 

but dont worry everything you do is perfect!! Its always the arty that ruin your games! Their whole focus is on you and only you!

Is your brain damaged? I know what happens in my games and I didn't know how to fix it. I told that I'm doing something wrong and I asked for help because I didn't know what I might be doing wrong. I never mentioned that there is something wrong with the tank and you started talking about how the tank is great and how it's definitely something I'm doing wrong. Even better, I told that I'm having troubles fighting ridgelines because I'm getting fapped on by arty and you went that it's stupid for me to not use ridgelines. You wrote a useless, pointless comment and I made fun of it. And yes, I'll take your advice and ask artillery to not shot me whenever I expose myself on a ridgeline. 

20:09 Added after 0 minute

View PostWindSplitter1, on 12 March 2020 - 08:52 PM, said:

Top gun

GodTank2 #15 Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9983 battles
  • [RF_] RF_

View Postleonzawodowiec15, on 12 March 2020 - 10:08 PM, said:

Is your brain damaged? I know what happens in my games and I didn't know how to fix it. I told that I'm doing something wrong and I asked for help because I didn't know what I might be doing wrong. I never mentioned that there is something wrong with the tank and you started talking about how the tank is great and how it's definitely something I'm doing wrong. Even better, I told that I'm having troubles fighting ridgelines because I'm getting fapped on by arty and you went that it's stupid for me to not use ridgelines. You wrote a useless, pointless comment and I made fun of it. And yes, I'll take your advice and ask artillery to not shot me whenever I expose myself on a ridgeline. 

Wtf do you expect people to tell you? Guide you through your live games? I told you use its strengths and you are saying that arty is focusing you every game? Maybe give people a replay to see whats wrong?

leonzawodowiec15 #16 Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

View PostGodTank2, on 12 March 2020 - 09:15 PM, said:

Wtf do you expect people to tell you? Guide you through your live games? I told you use its strengths and you are saying that arty is focusing you every game? Maybe give people a replay to see whats wrong?

If you don't know what to tell then maybe don't tell anything. Mr splash provided a very useful tip that actually opened my eyes and now, I can use its strenghts better. 

tank276 #17 Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54852 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostWindSplitter1, on 12 March 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

Top gun of course dude

Private_Miros #18 Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26996 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View Postleonzawodowiec15, on 12 March 2020 - 08:08 PM, said:

20:00 Added after 0 minute

Well, with that attitude asking question is useless. Of course it's not arty but you doing things wrong. How else would be your performance so below the expected?

Arty sensitivity of the tank is something everyone deals with in that tank.

I suppose the issues is that you are too aggressive and/or too predictable. Exposing yourself too much, too early, and too much in the same location, and/or only on the predictable spots.

Some (non-cherry picked) replays would be useful for people to point the mistakes you make.

That is, if your ego can take the notion of you making ample mistakes in the tank.

leonzawodowiec15 #19 Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 485 battles

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 12 March 2020 - 10:01 PM, said:

Well, with that attitude asking question is useless. Of course it's not arty but you doing things wrong. How else would be your performance so below the expected?

Arty sensitivity of the tank is something everyone deals with in that tank.

I suppose the issues is that you are too aggressive and/or too predictable. Exposing yourself too much, too early, and too much in the same location, and/or only on the predictable spots.

Some (non-cherry picked) replays would be useful for people to point the mistakes you make.

That is, if your ego can take the notion of you making ample mistakes in the tank.

Besides your annoying attitude and ego whine this is a very good advice, thanks! I'm definitely too predictable and I'm exposing myself too much. I don't want to give a replay because this will just open a window for all the insecure buttholes in this forum to share their opinion how worse my decisions are than theirs and how they would've done better. I'm just asking for overall advices. Thanks!

_Signal_ #20 Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 47855 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Must admit its a tank I can't play either..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users