The Ranked Battles Standard Ammo Challenge + Also While Drunk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32961 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

What do you guys reckon? How far can a player get in RB this way?

1. Standard ammo only.

2. Standard ammo and a side order of alcoholic influences.  

Edited by TungstenHitman, 18 March 2020 - 09:16 PM.

Blubba #2 Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 62607 battles
Dunno but it's a challenge I'd relish accepting if I were at home on my own connection and not some dodgy hotel in the arse of nowhere. :(

shikaka9 #3 Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76557 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
o dear Jesus de Guatemala .... :ohmy: ... Standard ammo in RB :ohmy:

Edited by shikaka9, 18 March 2020 - 10:37 PM.

splash_time #4 Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15692 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I play with standard ammo, and I managed to progress, but no alcohol. :popcorn:

I guess you must reward me. :D

PerplaX #5 Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:27 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 13017 battles

Oh thats easy, thats how i always play!  :teethhappy:

I will shoot gold from time to time but only if its really necessary... But playing tanks without a beer??? Thats unacceptable!

Made it to rank 10 division 3 so far.

Spurtung #6 Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:54 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostPerplaX, on 19 March 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

a beer

We're talking alcohol, not juice.

tajj7 #7 Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Something like a Progetto or Leo 1 doesn't really need much premium ammo, sure if you have to kill that 279 or whatever, but premium ammo is not going to reliably pen a hull down Chieftain, Super Conq, 430U, IS7, etc. etc. anyway and you get rewarded for playing your 'role' so you can snipe in Leo 1s and get good XP for it if you do decent damage, and you don't have to get involved in any heavy battle or whatever. 

Remember you aren't doing everything to win the game, you are playing for your own personal Chevron progress, so if a 279e has decimated a flank on your team just make sure you are falling back and hoovering up damage before going down to save your Chevron, role XP means you don't need to take your tank outside its comfort zone to force a win, you'll get XP for just doing one thing well. 

People buy to much into the myths of ranked and then let that get into their head, you have to spam premium, you can only compete with Chieftains etc. etc. If you just play normally, albeit a little more cautiously than normal, play decently you'll progress and I don't think you need to spam premium, just get the tank choice right.

It would be much harder with a heavy, especially a less mobile one because you have to get into head on battles and bounce a lot to get your role XP, so doing damage against all the overly armoured stuff, that will be spamming you with premium, whilst using none yourself, is going to be hard. Maybe something like a 60tp with HE might work? 

vonadnan #8 Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30830 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
Like tajj said progetto for example works well, it did well for me, also, with that clip its not easy to switch to gold so u go with apcr anyway

LethalWalou #9 Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34843 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

LTs should work too and if you're a person who doesn't like to drive a tracked LT against a WV then worry not. WV get matched with WV and tracked LTs with tracked LTs. They can still meet if teams have more than 1 LT each.

EBR has been honestly quite an easy ride and no gold has to be used. Your main thing to do really is to outplay the enemy EBR, which is usually utterly horrible, and then you are free to control the spotting game.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 32961 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Ya ok to be fair, there's no reason to shoot gold ammo when using a Progetto, well very rarely anyway. Like on of those situations where you have some 1 vs 1 or 2 etc and also the intel and map positioning to allow for a reload.

I only played this tank just now for the first time ever, was waiting for 1. A discount on the tank which I got with the ToTT earlier and 2. A crew transfer discount which is literally in place today.

Love the tank btw, way faster than I was expecting. For some reason I thought it was going to feel sluggish and lazy compared to the ultra-light Standard B but not the case. Ok it's probably a little bit slower but for that bouncy upper plate and turret you certainly get a very good deal there. 4 shells of 360 for nearly 1500 mag damage, so good. It didn't take long to figure out this tank, I got on very well with the S-B and Pantera so it was more of the same but lovely gun handling over the S-B and of course as mentioned the armor and 4 shells instead of 3 plus better aiming and much better soft stats, faster intra-clip reload and faster reload overall. It's easy to do well with this Italian stallion.

Now then, can I go far while drunk? We'll see later. :P

Spoiler

Edited by TungstenHitman, 19 March 2020 - 06:55 PM.

TankkiPoju #11 Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25246 battles

I have played 13 games so far and shot premium ammo in one game with Leopard 1 because Chieftains deserve only the best ammo type.

I have a HEAT clip in Batchat but I hardly ever use it. IIRC only once in previous ranked season, to fight a 268v4 as we were only ones remaining and HEAT can pen the upper plate frontally. It was a base 1550XP win. The kind of game that gives me a stiffy still thinking about it.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 20 March 2020 - 10:18 AM.

tajj7 #12 Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29299 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostLethalWalou, on 19 March 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

LTs should work too and if you're a person who doesn't like to drive a tracked LT against a WV then worry not. WV get matched with WV and tracked LTs with tracked LTs. They can still meet if teams have more than 1 LT each.

EBR has been honestly quite an easy ride and no gold has to be used. Your main thing to do really is to outplay the enemy EBR, which is usually utterly horrible, and then you are free to control the spotting game.

IMO tracked lights are even harder in ranked for two reasons, one the map rotation seems pretty awful, lots of Abbey, Himmselsdorf etc. but also because people are very very risk averse in ranked and will hard camp a lot. So trying to dig them out in your light, when they will likely spot you first can be quite punishing. 

Plus if you need to do late game damage to save chevrons, their guns are just too unreliable to do it, pen is too low and accuracy is too bad, those crucial last few shots before you go down on a bad loss can mean the difference between losing a chevron and saving it. 

EBR works because it can rush spots more easily and get under gun lines being harder to hit, like you say often if you can see off the enemy EBR you give your team a decent prop up and yourself a decent chance of doing enough to earn a chevron/save one even if you don't last much longer.

I had one game where I did about 4.5k spotting plus a couple of shots of damage, in the first two minutes of the game but died to a Grille 15, we lost the game but despite being one of the first to die on my team I finished top because of the way role XP works.

I think you get role XP for spots even if people don't do damage to those spots, which the EBR is of course very good at. 

demon_tank #13 Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28431 battles

View Posttajj7, on 19 March 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

Something like a Progetto or Leo 1 doesn't really need much premium ammo, sure if you have to kill that 279 or whatever, but premium ammo is not going to reliably pen a hull down Chieftain, Super Conq, 430U, IS7, etc. etc. anyway and you get rewarded for playing your 'role' so you can snipe in Leo 1s and get good XP for it if you do decent damage, and you don't have to get involved in any heavy battle or whatever. 

This.

Lots of other tanks dont need gold too.

All the high pen TD and some other Medium tanks.

With 260+ pen you dont need Gold rounds much in Ranked Battles because very few people will play an E100 , MAUS or Type 5 hence anything penable with Gold you can pen with standard and anything unpenable with standard will be unpenable with gold (most of the time) also.

Im playing RB mostly on 907 and Progetto 65. Some Chieftain here and there.

On 907 and Progetto my loadout consists of 60% standard ammo and i rarely use the Gold.

Chieftain has mediocre gun handling so i carry mostly Gold but like i said above i play it the least.

You dont need Gold rounds neither do you need a Chieftain or Obj 279 to grind the Ranked battles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users