• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SoBritish #1 Posted 22 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14429 battles
  • [LPZC] LPZC

Hi,

I really love world of tanks but I still believe changes can be made to improve the game. My name in WOT is SoBritish, and to honor that name I'm trying to unlock every british tank. In the British tech tree I have seen that there are many guns such as the 83.4 mm on the centurion 1 and the Charioteer, that aren't compatible. I believe it's not logical putting the same gun on many tanks and having to unlock them all separately. I do know that there are some minor differences between the guns such as dispersion values or aime time but still I think that it's a shame to waste time on stock tanks even thow I have a very similar gun.

I hope that I'm not the only player to find low gun compatibility as an issue.

Slyspy #2 Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14987 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSoBritish, on 22 March 2020 - 01:46 PM, said:

Hi,

I really love world of tanks but I still believe changes can be made to improve the game. My name in WOT is SoBritish, and to honor that name I'm trying to unlock every british tank. In the British tech tree I have seen that there are many guns such as the 83.4 mm on the centurion 1 and the Charioteer, that aren't compatible. I believe it's not logical putting the same gun on many tanks and having to unlock them all separately. I do know that there are some minor differences between the guns such as dispersion values or aime time but still I think that it's a shame to waste time on stock tanks even thow I have a very similar gun.

The grind is an inherent part of the game and business model. 

mpf1959 #3 Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34186 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT
Since I am British I decided the same, and have unlocked every tank in the British tree till t9, and at T9 have done the cent7, tortoise conqueror and the fv3805. At t10 the badger and super conqueror, overall I would say it is a ballache, but if you set yourself the challenge u can do it, just takes time.

SoBritish #4 Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14429 battles
  • [LPZC] LPZC

View PostSlyspy, on 22 March 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

The grind is an inherent part of the game and business model. 

The grind is a part of the game and the experience required to unlock the next tank in the tech tree is often big. My point is in some cases, some parts of tanks are so similar I don't understand why you need to unlock them several times. For example look at the firefly's final gun and compare it to the AT8. It's the same gun, the only thing that changes is the reload time, the aim time and the dispersion values.

09:06 Added after 7 minute

View Postmpf1959, on 22 March 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

Since I am British I decided the same, and have unlocked every tank in the British tree till t9, and at T9 have done the cent7, tortoise conqueror and the fv3805. At t10 the badger and super conqueror, overall I would say it is a ballache, but if you set yourself the challenge u can do it, just takes time.

I'm personnaly a bit far from unlocking all the british tanks but I have completed the british medium tech tree. I know it takes time and I accept it. Once again I believe that some of the tanks in the british teck tree but also in other nations teck tree have components that are expensive and require unlocking on several tanks.

Geno1isme #5 Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49395 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

Guns on TDs aren't compatible with other classes, and guns between nations are also incompatible (I think there are about 5 versions of the D-25T to unlock on russian and chinese tanks). And of course premium tanks won't unlock any modules even if they have literally the same gun as techtree tanks.

That is not going to change, in the last few years WG has rather gone the other way and reduced module compatibility further (e.g. with the Light Tank rework in 0.9.17 where some lights got their guns renamed). And new techtree tanks usually don't inherit any modules from the existing trees either.

arthurwellsley #6 Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:10 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55017 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSoBritish, on 22 March 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

Hi,

I really love world of tanks but I still believe changes can be made to improve the game. My name in WOT is SoBritish, and to honor that name I'm trying to unlock every british British tank. In the British tech tree I have seen that there are many guns such as the 83.4 mm on the centurion 1 and the Charioteer, that aren't compatible. I believe it's not logical putting the same gun on many tanks and having to unlock them all separately. I do know that there are some minor differences between the guns such as dispersion values or aime aim time but still I think that it's a shame to waste time on stock tanks even thow though I have a very similar gun.

View PostSoBritish, on 23 March 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

The grind is a part of the game and the experience required to unlock the next tank in the tech tree is often big. My point is in some cases, some parts of tanks are so similar I don't understand why you need to unlock them several times. For example look at the firefly's final gun and compare it to the AT8. It's the same gun, the only thing that changes is the reload time, the aim time and the dispersion values.

09:06 Added after 7 minute

I'm personnaly personally a bit far from unlocking all the british British tanks but I have completed the british British medium tech tree. I know it takes time and I accept it. Once again I believe that some of the tanks in the british British teck tech tree but also in other nations teck tech tree have components that are expensive and require unlocking on several tanks.

(a) as others have said grinding different guns (and other components) is part of the exp business model for WG as a company, and they need to make a profit to keep the servers up and running so that we can all enjoy the game. Or you could use free experience to up grade all the modules and play each tank. Wargaming likes customers who do that as it adds to the companies turn over.

(b) You have picked the gun in the Firefly and AT8. You do realise that in real life the crews in these two vehicles would have needed to be trained differently. That is because to fit the gun into the Firefly it had to be turned on to it's side, whereas the planned layout for the AT8 was to have it the conventional way up. Thus there would have been different things the crews in the tanks would have needed to do, to lay the gun on and load ammunition, even though it is fundamentally the same gun. This is the real life justification for requiring in game inexperience for both.

© I am sorry but I felt the need to correct your spelling and use of capitals. I apologise in advance.

Slyspy #7 Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14987 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSoBritish, on 23 March 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

The bit in green is answered by the bit in blue.

TheDrownedApe #8 Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51943 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Postarthurwellsley, on 23 March 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

© I am sorry but I felt the need to correct your spelling and use of capitals. I apologise in advance.

I struggle to resist the urge on our village FB page daily :angry:

The real sucker punch "oneliner" is when someone writes "dose anyone no where i......." :arta:

Edited by TheDrownedApe, 23 March 2020 - 11:55 AM.

SoBritish #9 Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14429 battles
  • [LPZC] LPZC

View PostSlyspy, on 23 March 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

The bit in green is answered by the bit in blue.

I would prefer if WOT increased the experience required to complet the tech trees and made some very similar conponents the same, meaning I would only have to unlock it once. To grind is to unlock new guns and other components but if you have the same component on another tank then the grind seems useless.

11:08 Added after 5 minute

View PostGeno1isme, on 23 March 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Guns on TDs aren't compatible with other classes, and guns between nations are also incompatible (I think there are about 5 versions of the D-25T to unlock on russian and chinese tanks). And of course premium tanks won't unlock any modules even if they have literally the same gun as techtree tanks.

That is not going to change, in the last few years WG has rather gone the other way and reduced module compatibility further (e.g. with the Light Tank rework in 0.9.17 where some lights got their guns renamed). And new techtree tanks usually don't inherit any modules from the existing trees either.

I find it normal that components aren't compatible between nations, it's when we have to unlock several different tracks or guns that are in the same nation (and non premium) that it becomes aggravating.

Spurtung #10 Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 23 March 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

The real sucker punch "oneliner" is when someone writes "dose anyone no where i......." :arta:

I, on the other hand, sometimes wonder what people that type u or ur do with all the extra time they get from doing that.

Homer_J #11 Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

Field Marshal

• 33686 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSoBritish, on 23 March 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

I would prefer if WOT increased the experience required to complet the tech trees and made some very similar conponents the same, meaning I would only have to unlock it once.

We understand that but the game has been like this for ten years and is unlikely to be reworked just for you.  Even more so since the introduction of blueprints shifted the use of free experience more toward module research.

In every nation the TD version of the same gun is regarded as different to the tank version, that's how it is.  Also since you are talking about British tanks the British L7 gun is used on a number of other nations tanks but you will have to research it again for each one.

SoBritish #12 Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14429 battles
  • [LPZC] LPZC

View Postarthurwellsley, on 23 March 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

(a) as others have said grinding different guns (and other components) is part of the exp business model for WG as a company, and they need to make a profit to keep the servers up and running so that we can all enjoy the game. Or you could use free experience to up grade all the modules and play each tank. Wargaming likes customers who do that as it adds to the companies turn over.

(b) You have picked the gun in the Firefly and AT8. You do realise that in real life the crews in these two vehicles would have needed to be trained differently. That is because to fit the gun into the Firefly it had to be turned on to it's side, whereas the planned layout for the AT8 was to have it the conventional way up. Thus there would have been different things the crews in the tanks would have needed to do, to lay the gun on and load ammunition, even though it is fundamentally the same gun. This is the real life justification for requiring in game inexperience for both.

I understand that grinding is a part of the game and I'm not wanting to change it. I also do use free experience but that is not the issue. My example of the Firefly and the AT8 still stands because tell me what happens in real life when a tank is hit 500 times in the cupola? nothing. My point is WOT isn't a tank simulator, warthunder is more accurate. When you unlock the gun you get acces to it, so it doesn't matter which way it sits in. So the gun is the same, the only thing that changes is aiming time or dispersion value but the gun is still identical.

There is no need to apologise. I thank you for correcting me, I'm dysorthographic and was brought up in France therefore my english is far from perfect. I apologise if there are any spelling issues in my message.

24doom24 #13 Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9202 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Just cause the caliber is the same doesn't mean the guns are.

SoBritish #14 Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14429 battles
  • [LPZC] LPZC

View PostHomer_J, on 23 March 2020 - 12:23 PM, said:

We understand that but the game has been like this for ten years and is unlikely to be reworked just for you.  Even more so since the introduction of blueprints shifted the use of free experience more toward module research.

In every nation the TD version of the same gun is regarded as different to the tank version, that's how it is.  Also since you are talking about British tanks the British L7 gun is used on a number of other nations tanks but you will have to research it again for each one.

I'm probably wrong on many of my ideas but I'm not trying to change the game just for my one intrests, I'm just giving my opinion. Blueprints allow people to get tanks by bearly playing. Now are they good or bad that's another debate. Free experience doesn't have a precise purpose and that's what makes it useful. Maybe people use it more to unlock mocules, maybe not. My opinion is that if I buy a gun I would prefer it to be compatible on every tank even if this would mean spending more xp to unlock the next tank.

Homer_J #15 Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

Field Marshal

• 33686 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSoBritish, on 23 March 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

I'm probably wrong on many of my ideas

I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong.  It's a game design decision which was made many years ago and too ingrained in the game economy to change.

I certainly remember the same discussion when we only had German and Russian tanks in the game.

Spurtung #16 Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostSoBritish, on 22 March 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

Let me get you some factual numbers to get things right.

Spoiler

Do you still think there's little compatibility between vehicles regarding their guns?

Edited by Spurtung, 23 March 2020 - 01:56 PM.

SoBritish #17 Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14429 battles
  • [LPZC] LPZC

View PostHomer_J, on 23 March 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong.  It's a game design decision which was made many years ago and too ingrained in the game economy to change.

I certainly remember the same discussion when we only had German and Russian tanks in the game.

When there were only German and Russian tanks would you have imagined that one day you could be able to reduce the amount of XP required to unlock the next tank? The blueprint system has completely changed the economy of the game. In my opinion a change made to the module's compatibility would be a minor change compared to the blueprints. It is as you say "a game disign decision" but wargaming is constantly changing that very design. The purpose of such a change wouldn't be to take away the grind or alowing people to get all the modules by buying one tank. The idea would only be to either make changes to the modules to make them unique or to give the possibility to the few similar modules to be compatible on other tanks TD or not. This idea may seem absolutely mad but so did many changes that wargaming have decided to apply.

Edited by SoBritish, 23 March 2020 - 03:33 PM.

Homer_J #18 Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:24 PM

Field Marshal

• 33686 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSpurtung, on 23 March 2020 - 12:44 PM, said:

Do you still think there's little compatibility between vehicles regarding their guns?

It used to be only TDs and arty which got this special treatment, the same gun used on lights/neds/heavies would transfer but recently WG have started making minor model designation differences to essentially the same gun even on the same type of tank.  So if anything the game is moving in the opposite direction.

fwhaatpiraat #19 Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61833 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostSpurtung, on 23 March 2020 - 12:23 PM, said:

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 23 March 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

I, on the other hand, sometimes wonder what people that type u or ur do with all the extra time they get from doing that.

Getting Pool's medals :trollface:

Spurtung #20 Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78647 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 25 March 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Getting Pool's medals :trollface:

:( soft spot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users