AMX 12t<3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

Poll: AMX 12t<3 (313 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Which tier should it be put with?

1. Tier 10 and down? (8 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

2. Tier 9 and down? (9 votes [2.88%])

Percentage of vote: 2.88%

3. Tier 8 and down? (112 votes [35.78%])

Percentage of vote: 35.78%

4. Tier 7 and down? (126 votes [40.26%])

Percentage of vote: 40.26%

5. Tier 6 and down? (58 votes [18.53%])

Percentage of vote: 18.53%

Vote Hide poll

AmazingChickens #81 Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10219 battles

View Postmichaelius, on 10 January 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

After fully upgrading mine it's ok tank. I got some 1k exp battles.

But first gun needs serious buff to at least 85-90 mm penetration. 75 is sad joke and will bounce even from most of rear armors in heavy tanks.
look at the T50-2 and leo2s starting gun and remember that they fight tier tens

Le_Petit_Lapin #82 Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9777 battles
Great wee tank. you have to play it like a seasoned rapist:

1) Wait in bush
2) Pounce on unsuspecting prey from behind
3) Shoot your load leaving the victim a wreck
4) Leg it before help arrives
5) Chill till the heat dies down, then repeat when you're fully reloaded.

steel_eater #83 Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
The 12t cannot scout properly. I play on the NA server, and did testing on this tank's camo.

- If you are not in a bush, you have essentially zero camo. That moving SU-14 or Maus in the open will show up at the same time as your 12t. If they are stationary? your 12t shows up before they do!
- Even when completely hidden by a bush, the 12t has horrible camo. Against an opponent with a view range of exactly 500m, and without a camo crew, the 12t will get busted at 70m. A stationary maus will stay invisible till 50m if you can find a bush big enough to hide the maus.

This horrible camo rating means most of the time, you are going to be spotted before you can even get to your favorite bush, leading to a quick and pointless suicide death in a high tier match. (G3 in malinovka is a great spotting location. Even an is4 can easily get to those bushes without being spotted. The 12t? you are spotted long before you get close to the bush.

The agility is nowhere near good enough to dodge bullets, hence t50-2 style scouting also doesn't work at all.

The tank would be fine facing such high tiers if it can actually scout properly... but since it can't due to this camo rating (possibly a bug), it does not belong into such matches.

Havamal #84 Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9622 battles
  • [BM2] BM2
I might have preferred mugging to lapin's given analogy

Beyond the poor taste shown the comments are fairly accurate, you need to play this tank as an ambush predator.  It doesn't excel in a scouting role, but you can be really effective if you hang near a fight and wait for an enemy tank to be alone and not looking and then you can do horrendous damage to them and vanish off before they get a 2nd round fired at you.  If you're lucky, before the first.  

The key I've found to this tank is making sure you reload your clip as soon as your current target is eliminated or disengaged from, even if you've only fired one or two shots.  You need to make sure you have a full clip when you encounter a new enemy as that reload time will kill you if you need to reload during a fight.

tomas_praha #85 Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
my stats, what i do with other tanks, usual amx matchmaking

http://imageshack.us/f/33/mehbi.png/

working as intended

tomas_praha #86 Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Posted Image
preemtive responce

Jukelo #87 Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 26551 battles

View Posttomas_praha, on 11 January 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

my stats, what i do with other tanks, usual amx matchmaking

http://imageshack.us/f/33/mehbi.png/

working as intended

Too bad for you. Learn to play the tank, it will get better.

michaelius #88 Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11785 battles
  • [PPC] PPC

View PostAmazingChickens, on 10 January 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

look at the T50-2 and leo2s starting gun and remember that they fight tier tens

They are pure scouts - which is something AMX can't do even with best engine and tracks.

Radical626 #89 Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 11385 battles
  • [C_R_D] C_R_D

View PostBenilFtw, on 04 January 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Well idk what its called but i love this tank but theres 1 little thing that breaks it. Or actually 2. First thing is the matchmaking.. How can it be put with tier 9? or is it just the test.. The second problem is that the gun cant aim up lol... V screeny V Thats the highest it can get..

The reason why they have such poor gun depression is due to the magazine loader. However this balances fine, because essentially what these tanks do is like the top (t8/9) USA mediums, combine mobility with speed and firepower and as mediums arent expected to bounce stuff like heavies. Only the french tanks sacrifice armour for more speed and flexibility for firepower. If these tanks had good gun depression then the patton would be useless.

View Posthazzin, on 05 January 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

And what is it?
It's definitely a scout. I used to play with it on test server. Low profile, good speed. And it's cannon is very suitable for annihilating arty quickly.

Don't forget just because its called a light tank doesnt mean it should scout. However, the speed combined with view range means that these things can quite easily get to a forward point and hide in a bush to scout the enemy, but beyond that this tank is not a full scout as trying to spot things whilst they can see you results in death pretty quickly, it simply isnt fast enough especially in turning to circle things etc. I always scout at the start then once there is no need I turn to a support role and follow the top tiers around so that whilst they (the threat) take the hits i can zip round the back and go pewpewpew then f*** off before they turn the turret.

View Postmagnentius, on 05 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I agree with all current posts since the update and have noticed that when you change ammo types it takes a long time and if in battle can be fatal. The time is fgar in excess of other tank changeovers (all nations)

Umm, do you not understand what a magazine loader is? The whole point of these tanks is that they fire 4/5/6 shots in super fast succession and deal huge damage in the first 8 seconds then have to bugger off for a long time to reload 4/5/6 shots. not one! This is a big balance trait, if the french tanks could load a magazine under 30 seconds at the high tiers then they would be OP, this long load really helps balance them out against the other tanks alongside the lack of depression and armour.

View PostBenilFtw, on 05 January 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

If they changed it to tier 7 and lower then everything would be okay. You can scout tier 7's but tier 8+ no. You wont make any money in it its just fun to play with

Why can you scout tier  7's but not tier 8? the top gun will still be able to pen tier 8's although it is probably best to switch to HE and screw up modules on anything but an IS3 or vk45A.
The tier 5 mediums also have to face tier 8's why shouldnt these? Remember these ARENT specifically scouts. That isnt their role. The game mechanics allow these tanks to scout at the beginning of the game and occasionally after wards because they get a rolling camo bonus but thats it. They still fulfill the role of a medium, fast, mobile and deadly in packs. My issue is that it faces tier 9's. no t9's please because that means that half a team can be tier 8 or more, whereas if it was just upto tier 8 then it would only be 2/3 tanks max that you couldnt really hurt.

Flaxton #90 Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 16672 battles
Took me just under 50 matcher to get through this tank and I ended up with a 65% win ratio. For me it was one of the most fun tier 5s I've played and there were few matches where you felt that you couldn't do much difference. Yes it sucked sometimes being thrown in matches with a bunch of tier 9 and tier 8 but being at the bottom of the list sucks in most tanks and you don't suffer nearly as much for it in AMX 12t compared to many other tanks (for example AMX 40 and BDR G1B). When in a pack you can pick off any lone tank, apart maybe for tier 9 and 10 heavies, without much trouble.
I think you should be very opportunistic in this tank and use your speed to change position a lot. Early in games I tend to find a bush to hide in, scout a few tanks, maybe fire a few shots if they are on a safe distance. Then it's just a question of finding suitable prey and if you can't find anyone to hazzle in CQ just park in a good flanking position and spam away shots.

Loofah #91 Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

General

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22733 battles

View PostFlaxton, on 11 January 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Took me just under 50 matcher to get through this tank and I ended up with a 65% win ratio. For me it was one of the most fun tier 5s I've played and there were few matches where you felt that you couldn't do much difference. Yes it sucked sometimes being thrown in matches with a bunch of tier 9 and tier 8 but being at the bottom of the list sucks in most tanks and you don't suffer nearly as much for it in AMX 12t compared to many other tanks (for example AMX 40 and BDR G1B). When in a pack you can pick off any lone tank, apart maybe for tier 9 and 10 heavies, without much trouble.
I think you should be very opportunistic in this tank and use your speed to change position a lot. Early in games I tend to find a bush to hide in, scout a few tanks, maybe fire a few shots if they are on a safe distance. Then it's just a question of finding suitable prey and if you can't find anyone to hazzle in CQ just park in a good flanking position and spam away shots.

It's called luck.
I've lost 90 battles in a row in my E75 (I thought it was 60, then checked some screenshots) - it was more like 30 losses, lucky win, 10 losses, draw etc. but you probably get what I'm trying to say. Sometimes it's all about luck. SOmetimes it's all about skill. Usually a mix of both, but I'm kind of sure that you were just damn lucky to play in good teams/play against bad teams.
+ platooning surely helps. 3xIS4 platoon f.e. really helps to get high winratio :)

Gal_Ardent #92 Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28366 battles
  • [TEMER] TEMER

View PostFirestorm6, on 10 January 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

The engine is such a joke in this vehivle. 15 games, 5 times engine destroyed. As far as I can remember I got, maybe 5 times the engine destroyed in my other 8500 games that I've made...

Engine is in front on the AMX light serie, so first place to be hit by shell, reason why it is destroyed first....

BrianDuffy #93 Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7674 battles
This tank sounds very similar to the Chaffee; reasonably fast, reasonable gun, paper armour and very vulnerable engine. I guess it's a LOT cheaper to run though; I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Keep tanking
:Smile_honoring:

Flaxton #94 Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 16672 battles

View PostLoofah, on 11 January 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

It's called luck.
I've lost 90 battles in a row in my E75 (I thought it was 60, then checked some screenshots) - it was more like 30 losses, lucky win, 10 losses, draw etc. but you probably get what I'm trying to say. Sometimes it's all about luck. SOmetimes it's all about skill. Usually a mix of both, but I'm kind of sure that you were just damn lucky to play in good teams/play against bad teams.
+ platooning surely helps. 3xIS4 platoon f.e. really helps to get high winratio :)

I agree that win ratio isn't a very good indicator but it was all the stats I could get now (at work). Although I think the rest of the stats for it was also on par with what I usually perform so I can't agree with all the negative comments about this tank. It's different but really fun and, if anything, better than most tier 5 tanks.

theghostcat #95 Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostPere_Ubu_Roi, on 11 January 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

This tank sounds very similar to the Chaffee; reasonably fast, reasonable gun, paper armour and very vulnerable engine. I guess it's a LOT cheaper to run though; I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Keep tanking
:Smile_honoring:

Sorry but its not. If you're hoping to get a french chaffee, you'll be very disappointed.

The chaffee edges this guy out in EVERY possible way. But then again - the chaffee is a support scout, and end of the match tank.  The amx12 t...well we're still trying to figure out what IT is  :D

BrianDuffy #96 Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7674 battles
@theghostcat - sorry, it wasn't a very clear post from me. I wasn't expecting the AMX12 to be a French Chaffee, I just thought from the descriptions of its weaknesses it has similar problems; especially the engine issue. I am a very poor Chaffee driver but love the feel of fast little tanks with decent guns (played to T-54 in beta) and the AMX12/13 sounds like my sort of fun without the 10k repair bill!

Leo is ok but weak gun, T-50 and T-50-2 look great but I almost can't play them on principle and again, a weak gun. Haven't tried the VK2801 yet (grinding through Leo to get one).

Louis2brosGummer #97 Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 31401 battles

View PostFlaxton, on 11 January 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I agree that win ratio isn't a very good indicator but it was all the stats I could get now (at work). Although I think the rest of the stats for it was also on par with what I usually perform so I can't agree with all the negative comments about this tank. It's different but really fun and, if anything, better than most tier 5 tanks.
I agree, got a lucky 63% winratio on amx40 wich mas more luck then anything else.
amx12t is much more enjoyable, only the fact that it's much faster is worth it. gun depression gets you a lot of misses when circling someone but not to bad. it can allways be better, but i'm satisfied for now after the first 4 tiers.

theghostcat #98 Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostPere_Ubu_Roi, on 11 January 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

@theghostcat - sorry, it wasn't a very clear post from me. I wasn't expecting the AMX12 to be a French Chaffee, I just thought from the descriptions of its weaknesses it has similar problems; especially the engine issue.

Ah, makes more sense.

BUT as I can tell, after driving this french tank - it does have all the same weakness as the Chaffee - but none of the benefits.

I love scout tanks myself (and I'm not too great with the chaffee either) but at this rate if I ever need a free slot the french tanks are the first ones I'll sell.  :D

Vahal #99 Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16075 battles
  • [BIMA] BIMA
no view range, no radio, no agility, average speed, week gun (108mm when facing T9 tanks... ), no camo (even static I get spotted before HEAVIES!) engine out at each shot when it's not crew who die or ammorack who blows and this fucking gun depression who is depressing no mention to the scout matchmaking... :angry:
they wanted to make a frustrating tank? good job.

Otrorto #100 Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7806 battles
Its not that bad, remember me of the T-46, the first time i played that tank i hated it to the max, but its quite awesome when u learn to play it, quite different of the rest of tanks now in game http://forum.worldof...Smile_great.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users