The RNG Gremlins

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

carpetkatt #1 Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11996 battles
  • [MOIST] MOIST
Sometimes I truly feel as if I'm being jumped by the RNG Gremlins. I can have a great crew, play a tank with great accuracy - yet still only land one shot in five. Not because the gun wasn't fully aimed either, usually it's but a pixel of the circle that is outside of the targeted tank, yet somehow that pixel is exactly where the shot goes.

I remember some theory way back about how if you had bad RNG with a tank in multiple games you should no longer play it, it's been 'cursed' by RNG for the day. Or at least it went something like that. Now true, if something is truly random, strings of negative outcomes will occour. But what's the chance of it happening an absurd number of times in a row to the same person over and over and over again? Possible, but slim.

Any thoughts on this?

Spurtung #2 Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 78599 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

Confirmation bias is really the thought that comes to mind.

Any chance you have a set of consecutive replays of a particular tank where this can be observed?

malachi6 #3 Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51375 battles

The "single pixel" outside of the tank would require evidence.  Sounds like hyperbole to me. 

As stated before; confirmation bias, counting the hits and ignoring the misses.  Not literally. 

HassenderZerhacker #4 Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:32 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32087 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View Postcarpetkatt, on 25 March 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

Sometimes I truly feel as if I'm being jumped by the RNG Gremlins. I can have a great crew, play a tank with great accuracy - yet still only land one shot in five. Not because the gun wasn't fully aimed either, usually it's but a pixel of the circle that is outside of the targeted tank, yet somehow that pixel is exactly where the shot goes.

I remember some theory way back about how if you had bad RNG with a tank in multiple games you should no longer play it, it's been 'cursed' by RNG for the day. Or at least it went something like that. Now true, if something is truly random, strings of negative outcomes will occour. But what's the chance of it happening an absurd number of times in a row to the same person over and over and over again? Possible, but slim.

Any thoughts on this?

yes... it's one of the reasons I stopped playing.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #5 Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:40 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 36325 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postcarpetkatt, on 25 March 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, sometimes the RNG just doesn't go your way and you miss easy shots. However it's balanced out by those times where you miss a tank at 50m and the shot sails halfway across the map and one shots an arty you didn't even know was there. Random is random and it's entirely unpredictable despite what some here would like you to think.

Just play consistently well and you will mitigate the effects RNG has on you. For example, don't just drive out into the open against an autoloader that is a one shot assuming your shot will go where you want it to because if it doesn't and you get clipped that's your fault. Play defensively and make sure he's dead before you leave cover and if your shot goes wide you still have cover while you reload for a second try. That's the difference between RNG screwing you over and you allowing RNG to screw you over. 

carpetkatt #6 Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11996 battles
  • [MOIST] MOIST

View Postmalachi6, on 25 March 2020 - 02:13 AM, said:

Sounds like hyperbole to me. 

It is hyperbole. Spawned out of my frustration, lol. I know it's not literally that way, but it sometimes feels all to well like it.

View PostSpurtung, on 25 March 2020 - 02:05 AM, said:

Confirmation bias is really the thought that comes to mind.

Any chance you have a set of consecutive replays of a particular tank where this can be observed?

Oh, maybe? I'd have to look. Confirmation bias is definitely possible. When your shot hits, you do sort of just carry on and forget it, but I know there should at least be three replays in an STRV where the shots just miss almost every time. I'd need to search the folder.

_Carpaccio_ #7 Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37934 battles

I know how it feels and I've been cursing and swearing sometimes like - sure, sure 0,29 accuracy, sure, sure my camo is this strong obviously, ... sure no pen lower plate with this X Y penetration two times in a row (can get bad rolls) etc etc. I dont support any conspiracy theories :D , but when RNG "says" go eat kaku, just take a break or play some other tank.

RNG is exactly what is it - random number generator. Back in the days when I played WoW I had paladin with some 15 % chance for critical hit, and I have a memory of one battleground where literally every second of my hits/spells did critical hit on the enemy, totally rekting them. Same in WoT. Sometimes it can get so weird and so random you hit snapshots on the move, the next battle you dont hit anything with sniper tank.

Anyway - RNG Gremlins. Is that some new Uwe Boll movie?

Edited by _Carpaccio_, 25 March 2020 - 05:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users