tank view range rework?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #1 Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23671 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C
I think maps are too small compared to maximum view range of tanks.
In general, not just meds, lights or any class. The max viewrange.
On Ensk I can see the whole map immediatly after spawning and driving 5 meters forward.
But not just Ensk.
How to advance/manouver to suprise enemy if You immediatly get spotted and revealed not just by lights but meds and td's. Usually my map is filled with tanks flashing red, revealed.
I wish there was less maximum viewranges on all ranks should be lowered, it would be more fun, and allow for more suprise manouvering.

edit: by lowering max viewrange, max render distance would be lowered by same % (to prevent situation where lights cannot scout or shoot out of range of enemy)

Edited by Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet, 26 March 2020 - 11:02 AM.

wsatnutter #2 Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26958 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
to do that would involve a massive amount of work so it will not happen m8

tajj7 #3 Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29277 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

We need more view range not less, games are massively campy because of all the too powerful bush locations and camping spots, reducing view range just makes it easier for the campers and its already easy mode.

Even on maps like Mines you can't spot base campers from the hill anymore. 

Ensk just shouldn't be a high tier map, should be capped at tier 7. 

splash_time #4 Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15574 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Seriously? I don't know why people suggest these ideas, WG choose only the crazy ideas like this unnecessary "crew 2.0" that nobody asked for! 

Please people, think before posting....

Venom7000 #5 Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8300 battles

View Posttajj7, on 26 March 2020 - 08:41 AM, said:

We need more view range not less, games are massively campy because of all the too powerful bush locations and camping spots, reducing view range just makes it easier for the campers and its already easy mode.

People camp because it is so easy to get spotted. Ffs even heavy tanks can get above max view range with mix of skills, equipment and if needed...food

Its either lower view range or increased size of maps. Very few maps can accmomdate 15v15 battles

:teethhappy:

Edited by Venom7000, 26 March 2020 - 09:33 AM.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #6 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23671 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

View Posttajj7, on 26 March 2020 - 07:41 AM, said:

as Venom mentioned, more viewranges equal MORE camping! Who can move if they will get spotted immediatly and shot to death by tanks behind the first tank who spotted him?

Homer_J #7 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:49 AM

Field Marshal

• 33637 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 26 March 2020 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think maps are too small

So it's not the view range which needs a rework.

We were promised some bigger maps which would have given us about twice the area but not heard anything for a while.  Ensk was supposed to be extended to the standard 1km square.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #8 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23671 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

View Postsplash_time, on 26 March 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

Seriously? I don't know why people suggest these ideas, WG choose only the crazy ideas like this unnecessary "crew 2.0" that nobody asked for! 

Please people, think before posting....

Who said anything about crew 2.0!?

And my idea has merit. The game will be more about moving around and not sitting and shooting through entire map!

gunslingerXXX #9 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 14129 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Especially at tier 8+ spotting is just broken.

I would agree to limit spotting, just give everything a -20% value to decrease viewrange. Also, bushes need to be nerfed HARD to prevent basecamping.

09:52 Added after 0 minute

View PostHomer_J, on 26 March 2020 - 10:49 AM, said:

We were promised some bigger maps which would have given us about twice the area but not heard anything for a while.  Ensk was supposed to be extended to the standard 1km square.

Well in this case I think view range can be a decent solution. Making larger maps will require a LOT of time.

Venom7000 #10 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8300 battles

Maybe if they hard cap view range by the tank type. For example:

• Only LT can have max view range of 450m
  • Others, for example, medium tanks can have 340m max view range. (You are still encouraged to max out this because of the camo negation within that 340m range). Other lines would have increasingly lower max view range acc to balance. 

This will give LT their purpose back. And people would camp less and more "search and destroy".

Edited by Venom7000, 26 March 2020 - 10:54 AM.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #11 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:53 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23671 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

View PostHomer_J, on 26 March 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

Yes that's why I asked for lower viewrange. I DO NOT believe WG will replace all the maps with bigger ones.
If we are about to get bigger maps, what about the old, small ones?
I just sat in the middle of 800m with viewrange all over the battlefield...
I mean it would take ALOT of work to replace all maps, it is much much easier to just adjust all viewranges by %, isn't it.
And it wouldnt be a nerf to any tank, as all viewranges would be lowered all across the board.

09:56 Added after 3 minute

View PostVenom7000, on 26 March 2020 - 09:52 AM, said:

Maybe if they hard cap view range by the tank type. For example:

• Only LT can have max view range of 450m
  • Others, for example, medium tanks can have 340m max view range. (You are still encouraged to max out this because of the camo negation within that 340m range). Other lines would have increasingly lower max view range acc to balance. 

This will give LT their purpose back. And people would camp less and more "search and destroy".

No, no, I don't mean any tank rebalancing.
All viewranges, so that all tanks can move more and play more without fear of getting spotted and slapped from across the map.
Lt's still will be LT's with their higher cammo and on the move cammo.

Homer_J #12 Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

Field Marshal

• 33637 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMakroros_The_Arty_Magnet, on 26 March 2020 - 09:53 AM, said:

I mean it would take ALOT of work to replace all maps, it is much much easier to just adjust all viewranges by %, isn't it.

If you reduce view ranges then all the large maps will need a rework to provide decent scouting positions so you are reworking the maps either way.

They extended Pilsen easily enough, the proposed change to Ensk was similar, just extending the open side.  In most cases it's only a case of adding one grid square the whole way around the sides of the map.

Makroros_The_Arty_Magnet #13 Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23671 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C

View PostHomer_J, on 26 March 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

If you reduce view ranges then all the large maps will need a rework to provide decent scouting positions so you are reworking the maps either way.

They extended Pilsen easily enough, the proposed change to Ensk was similar, just extending the open side.  In most cases it's only a case of adding one grid square the whole way around the sides of the map.

But it's still not enough, now is it?
Back in patch, oh i dont know 0.9? They nerfed the general accuracy of the guns (meaning harder sniping of weakspots). But the viewranges, effective viewranges of tanks kept progressing. Like QB shown in his video, even the 15k heavy chineese tank can get it up to 500m... ! (it gets the max cap lower ofc, but ffs its a heavy with 500m viewrange!).

Yes, I WOULD like all the maps to be new, fancy, larger etc. But I cannot count on it hapenning fast. And quick fix would be % slash on all tanks. That wouldn't nerf any tank or tank class and would "enlarge" artificially maps.

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25105 battles

View Posttajj7, on 26 March 2020 - 08:41 AM, said:

Do you mean it would be easier to spot people who sit in bushes AND shoot? I guess, but this idea would also make double bushing even stronger than now... which would be pretty bad.

Balc0ra #15 Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76382 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

So if you lower it... what about the bigger maps and how they are balanced? As then camping base in campinofka is a viable option suddenly, as you can't see them even from the scout bush. Enks had the spawns at each side of the railway before. On tier III that was not an issue, but on tier X a Patton could spot everything the second the match started. So they moved the spawns to prevent it.

But on maps like Ensk. Just because you see it, don't mean everyone will be able to hit your target, unlike the more open maps. Railway line is more or less the only spot you can abuse it fully from end to end. As when you move up to the middle you spot most at 200m or less anyway. As the left side is more brawling, and the right side is more open. But the terrain, objects and bushes on the 8 to 0 lane don't make it easier to spot across does it? So no... I don't see why tier X tanks need tier III view range due how that map works.

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 March 2020 - 01:11 PM.

Galan7891 #16 Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:17 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8794 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 26 March 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

So if you lower it... what about the bigger maps and how they are balanced? As then camping base in campinofka is a viable option suddenly, as you can't see them even from the scout bush. Enks had the spawns at each side of the railway before. On tier III that was not an issue, but on tier X a Patton could spot everything the second the match started. So they moved the spawns to prevent it.

But on maps like Ensk. Just because you see it, don't mean everyone will be able to hit your target, unlike the more open maps. Railway line is more or less the only spot you can abuse it fully from end to end. As when you move up to the middle you spot most at 200m or less anyway. As the left side is more brawling, and the right side is more open. But the terrain, objects and bushes on the 8 to 0 lane don't make it easier to spot across does it? So no... I don't see why tier X tanks need tier III view range due how that map works.

That would depend on how much it is lowered and on what types of tanks.Lowering the view range on HTs/TDS/MTs significanlty while tweaking  the ranges values on the LTs slightly would give each class its niche something that isnt really the case now with certain tanks and crews...

LethalWalou #17 Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34824 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View PostTankkiPoju, on 26 March 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

Do you mean it would be easier to spot people who sit in bushes AND shoot? I guess, but this idea would also make double bushing even stronger than now... which would be pretty bad.

Tanks are already spotted in bushes when they shoot. It's the ''double bushing'' that more viewrange would negate. By ''double bushing'' I of course assume you mean reversing 15m behind the bush before firing, Btw that still just gives the 1 bush worth of camo value (25 or 50), not ''double'' so tanks will still get spotted even though ''double bushing''.

24doom24 #18 Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9175 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View Posttajj7, on 26 March 2020 - 07:41 AM, said:

Yes make LTs spot us right from the beginning of the game. So fun. Just remove all the bushes and the camo mechanics in general while you're at it. 

Edited by 24doom24, 26 March 2020 - 03:59 PM.

Galan7891 #19 Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8794 battles

View Post24doom24, on 26 March 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Yes make LTs spot us right from the beginning of the game. So fun. Just remove all the bushes and the camo mechanics in general while you're at it. 

Eh at least then the LTs would do their job...

Gremlin182 #20 Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 61773 battles

One mans camping is another mans killing ground.

OK here I am on Mines,  Laketown maybe Himlesdorf and I am in my Nashorn what are my options.

No turret no armour good gun decent view range with Binocs and reasonable camo

Mines south spawn sit at the back and snipe anyone coming across from the islands driving up to the hill flanking on the right or showing themselves if they take the hill.

Sure later in the game I can go to the hill myself but I cannot directly contest areas I am a glass cannon sniper so yes I tend to camp.

Laketown 2 line is out so is the road above the lake entering the town with the other tanks again risky, nope again I am quite far back sniping then when ground is taken by my team I move forward.

Himlesdorf probably go to the railroad tracks only real place I can use my long range tactics.

Now get me on Prokorovka or Malinovka and I can make the heavies life a misery plenty of cover I can use and not much for them.

In short open mape great for TD SPG and Light

Town and city maps much better for heavy medium and some TDs.

Best maps a mixture of terrain that suit all tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users