lag delay ping problem server ocipied

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Popyzdicyn #1 Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

Hi everyone

There has been a huge lag on the EU server in recent days and it can be seen that it happens when the number of players reaches 200k. This is an open question for WG. Why you not increase the number of game servers? I can assume that you are using a hyperV or wmware platform and it is not a problem to put another VS in the pool behind the loadbalancer VIP. What you others players thing about that.

unhappy__bunny #2 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:03 PM

Brigadier

• 21168 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-
I think it is more likely to be a problem of congestion on the Internet itself rather than the servers. 

_Herr_Boss #3 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22601 battles
definitely need more servers, the game is not doing well

oUyQd" jscontroller="zkUZDe" style="visibility: hidden; position: relative; background: none;">

Edited by unhappy__bunny, 05 April 2020 - 06:45 PM.
changed font colour. Red is reserved for moderators

Popyzdicyn #4 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 April 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

I think it is more likely to be a problem of congestion on the Internet itself rather than the servers. 

I think is not. We are playing stronghold and whole team has same problem in half europe, u want to say that whole team has internet problem, Think is not, servers is problem.

Doozerr #5 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:20 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 84281 battles
  • [TYTI] TYTI

i have no lag, it's not the servers.

Try running pingplotter

Popyzdicyn #6 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View PostDoozerr, on 05 April 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

i have no lag, it's not the servers.

Try running pingplotter

PingPlotter is not relevant if servers are overloaded. Pingploter not mesure CPU or MEM usage of servers.

unhappy__bunny #7 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:40 PM

Brigadier

• 21168 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 05:11 PM, said:

I think is not. We are playing stronghold and whole team has same problem in half europe, u want to say that whole team has internet problem, Think is not, servers is problem.

Then do some investigating yourselves. 

Last night we played strongholds and only once did we have any lag. We are all based in UK or Holland. It was a momentary blip, cleared within a few seconds. 

Something on the Internet, between us a the server got congested. With so many people at home, so many people using the Internet for all sorts of reasons and all sorts of applications, there is bound to be moments when the infrastructure cannot cope and packets get lost. 

I am not saying that your connection to the internet is at fault, I am saying that somewhere along those 1000's of miles of cables, a node gets overwhelmed by traffic. 

That is much more likely that the servers being so overworked that they only affect a few players at a time. 

Balc0ra #8 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77296 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

You do know that 90% of Europe is in quarantine? Thus sever population here spikes too along with the overworked ISP. Combine the two, and you get a bad mix. Even more so when you consider stronghold is only on EU1 iirc, working that hamster even more along wires with low broadband capacity as is.

I've been on EU2 all day. Normally there I'm used to 25 to 35 ping. Now it's more in the 65 to 75 area. But today it's been 95 to 105. So my input delay is bigger then I'm used to. And I've had spikes all day. Plotter trace simply says it starts at my ISP, then spikes when it gets to Germany. And my streaming quality barely does manage 720p atm with a 5 sec buffer interrupt constantly. That's more or less every single Sunday where I live for the past 3 weeks. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 05 April 2020 - 06:46 PM.

Popyzdicyn #9 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 April 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Then do some investigating yourselves. 

Last night we played strongholds and only once did we have any lag. We are all based in UK or Holland. It was a momentary blip, cleared within a few seconds. 

Something on the Internet, between us a the server got congested. With so many people at home, so many people using the Internet for all sorts of reasons and all sorts of applications, there is bound to be moments when the infrastructure cannot cope and packets get lost. 

I am not saying that your connection to the internet is at fault, I am saying that somewhere along those 1000's of miles of cables, a node gets overwhelmed by traffic. 

That is much more likely that the servers being so overworked that they only affect a few players at a time. 

ok, i understand your opinion. But im use tools and saw that path trough others upstream providers not problem, that delay is within normal limits,  and at least why problem starting with more people on server, like i said about 200k? You know that is not upstream provider problem. Why we havent problem at 130k players on server? I know, u can say now many users connect trough provider of WG to hes servers but be honest its not likely. 

18:15 Added after 5 minute

View PostBalc0ra, on 05 April 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

You do know that 90% of Europe is in quarantine? Thus sever population here spikes too along with the overworked ISP. Combine the two, and you get a bad mix. Even more so when you consider stronghold is only on EU1 iirc, working that hamster even more along wires with low broadband capacity as is.

I've been on EU2 all day. Normally there I'm used to 25 to 35 ping. Now it's more in the 65 to 75 area. But today it's been 95 to 105. So my input delay is bigger then I'm used to. And I've had spikes all day. Plotter trace simply says it starts at my ISP, then spikes when it gets to Germany. And my streaming quality barely does manage 720p atm with a 5 sec buffer interrupt constantly. That's more or less every single Sunday where I live for the past 3 weeks. 

I can partially agree with you. A lot of people are home and spending a lot of their time on the internet, tv or similarly, and that justifies the delay that happens. But it does not justify, as I have already written, that it happens when there are more people on the server than usual, as it wrote where I noticed that it happens when there are about 200k users on the server.

unhappy__bunny #10 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:22 PM

Brigadier

• 21168 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 06:10 PM, said:

ok, i understand your opinion. But im use tools and saw that path trough others upstream providers not problem, that delay is within normal limits,  and at least why problem starting with more people on server, like i said about 200k? You know that is not upstream provider problem. Why we havent problem at 130k players on server? I know, u can say now many users connect trough provider of WG to hes servers but be honest its not likely. 

18:15 Added after 5 minute

I can partially agree with you. A lot of people are home and spending a lot of their time on the internet, tv or similarly, and that justifies the delay that happens. But it does not justify, as I have already written, that it happens when there are more people on the server than usual, as it wrote where I noticed that it happens when there are about 200k users on the server.

Have you read any of the other "lag" threads on this forum? You will see people claiming the same thing, "it's the servers" regardless of whether there are 90K, 120K or 180K players online. And every time, it is a few people who are affected. If it was there serves then everyone would be affected. 

wsatnutter #11 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27418 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
no lag here Op run test with pingplotter then report the results

Popyzdicyn #12 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:31 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 April 2020 - 06:22 PM, said:

Have you read any of the other "lag" threads on this forum? You will see people claiming the same thing, "it's the servers" regardless of whether there are 90K, 120K or 180K players online. And every time, it is a few people who are affected. If it was there serves then everyone would be affected. 

Yesterday I played with two different stronghold teams from different countries in Europe and they all had the same problem. And now you want to tell me that everyone in all countries have delay at the same time and they go through different internet providers. So you claim to be a problem with all internet providers? :):)

Homer_J #13 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

Field Marshal

• 33865 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hi everyone

There has been a huge lag on the EU server in recent days and it can be seen that it happens when the number of players reaches 200k. This is an open question for WG. Why you not increase the number of game servers? I can assume that you are using a hyperV or wmware platform and it is not a problem to put another VS in the pool behind the loadbalancer VIP. What you others players thing about that.

As far as we (players) are aware the server clusters can only be expanded to a certain point and 100k players per cluster seems to be about the limit.

Just throwing up another cluster is not that simple, especially in the current situation across Europe.

Popyzdicyn #14 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 05 April 2020 - 06:42 PM, said:

As far as we (players) are aware the server clusters can only be expanded to a certain point and 100k players per cluster seems to be about the limit.

Just throwing up another cluster is not that simple, especially in the current situation across Europe.

Thanks, this explains everything. My only regret is that WG, to be honest, has earn good money from the players on this game, and does not plan the infrastructure capacity for the game it lives on. But anyway, at least thanks for the honest answer unlike the previous moderator.

Homer_J #15 Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:03 PM

Field Marshal

• 33865 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

Thanks, this explains everything. My only regret is that WG, to be honest, has earn good money from the players on this game, and does not plan the infrastructure capacity for the game it lives on. But anyway, at least thanks for the honest answer unlike the previous moderator.

WG will have planned for the normal spring/summer downturn in players after the normal Xmas peak.  Nobody planned for a Europe wide lockdown.

unhappy__bunny #16 Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

Brigadier

• 21168 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

Yesterday I played with two different stronghold teams from different countries in Europe and they all had the same problem. And now you want to tell me that everyone in all countries have delay at the same time and they go through different internet providers. So you claim to be a problem with all internet providers? :):)

Do you actually read what you reply to? Did I say everyone in all countries at the same time? No. I said NOT everyone is having the problem. IF it WAS the server then I would expect EVERYONE to be affected.

Forget it. Just blame the servers if it keeps you happy.

Popyzdicyn #17 Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 05 April 2020 - 07:03 PM, said:

WG will have planned for the normal spring/summer downturn in players after the normal Xmas peak.  Nobody planned for a Europe wide lockdown.

Ok, if you want technically. You do not have an expandable infrastructure otherwise you could add or subtract several servers to the pool in 2 clicks. I guess by now you have realized that you are talking about this with the person who work with that and this is my area of business. And to your regret I still work in telecom. Sorry, but there's no excuse. Obviously, the infrastructure is outdated and not invested in expansions on time. I know that every business owner wants to save as much as possible and give as little money as possible to technicians and people, but the client needs to be satisfied and work to be done. You also certainly have people who need to plan capacity and work on the robustness of the system to be flexible, you might ask them.

19:25 Added after 0 minute

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 April 2020 - 07:05 PM, said:

Do you actually read what you reply to? Did I say everyone in all countries at the same time? No. I said NOT everyone is having the problem. IF it WAS the server then I would expect EVERYONE to be affected.

Forget it. Just blame the servers if it keeps you happy.

Sorry, but I will no longer respond to your messages because you obviously do not have enough competencies which is not a criticism, these are purely technical things.

unhappy__bunny #18 Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:25 PM

Brigadier

• 21168 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 05 April 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Ok, if you want technically. You do not have an expandable infrastructure otherwise you could add or subtract several servers to the pool in 2 clicks. I guess by now you have realized that you are talking about this with the person who work with that and this is my area of business. And to your regret I still work in telecom. Sorry, but there's no excuse. Obviously, the infrastructure is outdated and not invested in expansions on time. I know that every business owner wants to save as much as possible and give as little money as possible to technicians and people, but the client needs to be satisfied and work to be done. You also certainly have people who need to plan capacity and work on the robustness of the system to be flexible, you might ask them.

19:25 Added after 0 minute

Sorry, but I will no longer respond to your messages because you obviously do not have enough competencies which is not a criticism, these are purely technical things.

Oh nice response. 

Having spent the last 20 years designing, building and maintaining data networks, both LAN and WAN, including across the Internet, I think I have a pretty good idea how  networks and servers operate.  You, on the other hand, appear not to understand these things. 

Popyzdicyn #19 Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 April 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

Oh nice response. 

Having spent the last 20 years designing, building and maintaining data networks, both LAN and WAN, including across the Internet, I think I have a pretty good idea how  networks and servers operate.  You, on the other hand, appear not to understand these things. 

Only last 20 years, you need 10 more to catch me :):)., Im understand perfectly, u are paid to write goodnight stories, im not.

Edited by Popyzdicyn, 06 April 2020 - 01:04 AM.

Homer_J #20 Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

Field Marshal

• 33865 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Ok, if you want technically. You do not have an expandable infrastructure otherwise you could add or subtract several servers to the pool in 2 clicks. I guess by now you have realized that you are talking about this with the person who work with that and this is my area of business.

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 April 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

Oh nice response. 

Having spent the last 20 years designing, building and maintaining data networks,

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 06 April 2020 - 12:01 AM, said:

Only last 20 years, you need 10 more to catch me :):)., Im understand perfectly, u are paid to write goodnight stories, im not.

I'll throw in 31 years if you like and unless you are talking very small scale it's never as simple as clicking a few buttons.

There is a reason the RU server has so many clusters and it's nothing to do with geography.  There is a limit to the size of each cluster.  Don't forget the technology behind this game is nearly 20 years old.

And there is no business case to expand, as soon as this crisis is over we will be back to a 60k weekly peak.

08:51 Added after 3 minute

You also certainly have people who need to plan capacity and work on the robustness of the system to be flexible, you might ask them.

BTW, I don't work for WG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users