lag delay ping problem server ocipied

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

TheLightEd #21 Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 57573 battles
  • [DPG1] DPG1
Last day i suddenly had lag, havent had this in months. Just now frontline froze up and all lagged out, server was out. Well done WG

jabster #22 Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12845 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostHomer_J, on 06 April 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'll throw in 31 years if you like and unless you are talking very small scale it's never as simple as clicking a few buttons.

There is a reason the RU server has so many clusters and it's nothing to do with geography.  There is a limit to the size of each cluster.  Don't forget the technology behind this game is nearly 20 years old.

And there is no business case to expand, as soon as this crisis is over we will be back to a 60k weekly peak.

08:51 Added after 3 minute

BTW, I don't work for WG.

What are you talking about, surely online games companies are incompetent if they don’t plan for a pandemic that means a large part of their playerbase is in lockdown?

Homer_J #23 Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:33 AM

Field Marshal

• 33865 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjabster, on 06 April 2020 - 09:20 AM, said:

What are you talking about, surely online games companies are incompetent if they don’t plan for a pandemic that means a large part of their playerbase is in lockdown?

I could imagine that meeting.

We have a problem, the servers can only cope with an overnight quadrupling of players.  We need to rewrite the server code and have hardware on standby to be able to at least double our capacity at the flick of a switch.

Yeah, that would have gone down well.

jabster #24 Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12845 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostHomer_J, on 06 April 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

We have a problem, the servers can only cope with an overnight quadrupling of players.  We need to rewrite the server code and have hardware on standby to be able to at least double our capacity at the flick of a switch.

And the next item on the agenda is ensuring business continuity during a zombie apocalypse.

Popyzdicyn #25 Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 06 April 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'll throw in 31 years if you like and unless you are talking very small scale it's never as simple as clicking a few buttons.

There is a reason the RU server has so many clusters and it's nothing to do with geography.  There is a limit to the size of each cluster.  Don't forget the technology behind this game is nearly 20 years old.

And there is no business case to expand, as soon as this crisis is over we will be back to a 60k weekly peak.

08:51 Added after 3 minute

BTW, I don't work for WG.

oh yes, it can be made in 2 clicks. If you are automating systems with Software Defined Network (SDN), whatever will be used - Cisco ACI or another manufacturer, or at least using Ansible it can be made a new server in 2 clicks, install the OS, complete applications and everything necessary for the system to run, add routing at network  if necessary, rules on firewalls, added to the pool behind the balancer, etc . Not to mention the Hybrid Data Center using a compute from Amazon or Google if you need more power. But what about further explaining when you say that is "not worth it" to invest in this game. That's good to know because it shows that this game has no future. And yes, all of us who play are fooled into putting money into it.

Popyzdicyn #26 Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 71158 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 06 April 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

u not need to have hardware on standbye, u can buy compute when u need in cloud but obviously WG will never get to that level considering what I read through these posts

Homer_J #27 Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:57 PM

Field Marshal

• 33865 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPopyzdicyn, on 06 April 2020 - 10:52 PM, said:

u not need to have hardware on standbye, u can buy compute when u need in cloud but obviously WG will never get to that level considering what I read through these posts

Yeah, lets host the game server over on Amazon's servers in California or wherever, that totally won't impact the game experience.:rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users