AMX 38

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

Madvjed #1 Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [KULIN] KULIN
Started on this tank. I like the looks of it. But even fully upgraded isnt that good. Slow,ok armour and ok gun just not enough. Maybe i`ll get use of it after more battles with it.

Any tips on play style?

XxLouCiferxX #2 Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4890 battles
This tank kinda sucks...but it has one good side.

With it you really have to aim for weak spots on enemy tanks, especially the french.

The armour is actually really good for its tier but the gun sucks bad.

I think i`m going to try the other branch in the tech tree (D1).

PS.: I play it like this: get close to the enemy tank (possible because of you armour) and aim for his weak spots (gun, hatches and so on)

Cheers

Fiold #3 Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30571 battles
That tank is a piece of crap. It has the most useless gun ever and I think that it is even worse than loltractor. It is slow and turns badly. After few battles I managed to find some tactics and I scored 5 kills and 2 damaged in one battle.
Stay close to the enemy and show your front. Your gun is absolutely crap. Don't even think to shot other AMX 38 in front armor. You can kill T-46 or some other light armored tank, but you will have problems with other French tanks or tier 5 vehicles (even tier 4 medium is a problem). Your armor is quite good and you are protected from all (I think) tier 2 tanks. There must be tier 3 tank with good gun (tier 4 gun or so) to hurt you, but 5 tier tanks like KV or even Pz IV can blow you in one shot.
So stay close and try to ram enemy. You are slow and not agile, so you will lose dogfight. Ram, track, push to the wall and shot.

FatigueGalaxy #4 Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21678 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
When you're top tier, every battle looks like that:
http://sadpanda.us/i...852-3UTH1KA.jpg
btw. no premium and enemies hadn't any machine guns...
Gun sucks so get close to enemy and shot their weakspots. Even there you will fail to pen most of the time but it's better than nothing. Lead your team and let them camp in bush behind you while you're taking the beating...

Anyway, it's tier III tank so you will skip it fast. It can be fun (more like 'lol, we can't kill each other' while fighting with another french tanks) but fighting against tier 5 is painful...

FreakaMan #5 Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 45666 battles
This tank is shit. It is a clear example of game design done by a person which is more suited to work in a vodka distillery than in the games industry. Nothing is more frustrating than shooting your entire ammo for nothing. This tank has no speed and no cannon. The only thing good about it is the armor but unless you like looking at a red screen and hearing multiple loud projectile bounce sounds, you will not find anything fun on this tank. The only advice I can give is gather 4130 free XP and research the next tank as soon as you research this one.

At one point I found myself fighting another AMX38 on Mines map, we shot 15-20 bullets at one another without any successful penetrating shot. We both got annoyed and started "speeding" (at 20kmph each, I could swear I saw a snail pass by but he went so fast I didn't see him well) towards one another and rammed, we kept ramming and shooting until I died, the shooting did nothing, the ramming did very little, I was shot by a 2nd enemy. There is no other tank in this game that cannot kill another tank like itself using its cannon and for good reason, scoring a hit is fun, getting a bounce is frustrating. I don't care if this is how it was in real life, I'm not into reenacting battles that made France surrender fast (this tank explains it), a game is played for fun. Vodka > Looser reality, Game industry > FUN.

dawdler #6 Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6164 battles
I just played my second round with the AMX 38 (first round I died in seconds).

My impression is:

WHAT. THE. FRENCH?!

Seriously its an unbelievably shitty tank. WIth the stock gun it cannot penetrate anything at its own tier - it can barely penetrate tier II tanks (I bounced 20 times on tier II arty. Seriously). If one face another AMX 38 then oh lord... You can just turn around and give up. Critical hit, critical hit, critical hit, that one went straight through, critical hit... Etc and so on. And 0% damage. Always 0% damage. Its unable to penetrate itself, that's how freakin bad it is.

Souroy #7 Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 11133 battles
The funny thing is that both the 37mm SA38 and 47mm SA35 are nicely balanced in their premiums versions (37mm => PzKpfw 38H735 (f) / 47mm => PzKpfw S35 739 (f) & PzKpfw B2 740 (f)).
But the devs decided to nerf the French version of those guns, go figure...  :Smile_harp:

Jackson_Paradies #8 Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 17180 battles
german ammo ftw  :Smile-playing:

mcmillis #9 Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 90747 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
AMX 38 is piece of joke/crap/shit....even in its tier...not playable even in its own tier...totally uselles....take me lot of nerves...and i am relly veteran WoT player...
speed is not the problem, problem is GUN...it is fun to see AMX 38 vs AMX 38 shooting from close distance at each other...takes minutes till someone prevail...

finally i found out the way to go through this: i play in platoon with my brother....of course he always takes his marder II... :-!

Madvjed #10 Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28387 battles
  • [KULIN] KULIN
I just elited my AMX 38. At the end it wasnt even that bad tank. Like XxLouCiferxX already said. Use your armour and aim only for weak spots when going against french tanks. Your cannon is good against russian, german and american tanks up to Tier 4 ofcourse. While armour is excelent.
When fighting french i usually went for command hatch and it did good damage. If i ran into AMX 38 i usualy just ignored him or tried to get from behind, then you can destroy it.
But most important, you ALWAYS have to advance, get close to the enemy and shoot for weak spots. It is pointles to shoot from far unless you are behind the enemy.
Imagine you are testudo formation in roman army. Get close to the enemy in cover of your shields and then puch them in the face through the hatch :)

Now, when i think of it, maybe i even liked this little turtle with a slingshot.

RO_Cruciatu #11 Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 7658 battles
this is one of the worst tanks I've ever played, it's hard to exaggerate how bad it is

a light tanks with bad armor, slow and a terrible gun that won't penetrate a sheet of bubble wrap!

*angrily pops bubble wrap*

Aimless #12 Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 24015 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm fascinated with the awesome damage of the top gun. Around every 10th grenade actually deals damage. At 103 hits in 25 minutes battle life I managed to deal freaking 965HP damage or averagely 107HP damage per battle. Quite impressing  :blink:

Nevertheless, I managed to kill one Tetrarch  :Smile-izmena:

FatigueGalaxy #13 Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21678 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
I have 138 DPB and 4 frags, dunno how :D

This tank is actually not that bad :D
Tactics:
-as Top tier -> push forward, take enemy shots because they can't pen you and let your team kill the enemies (having Marder II in platoon works nice)
-as bottom tier -> do suicide rush. Just die as soon as possible and quit battle. You will spend maybe 1-2 minutes in battle and get 50-150 exp. 30 games like that and you can unlock AMX 40 xD which is even more underguned and slower than AMX 38  :Smile-bajan2:

dauqhx #14 Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3966 battles
This tank has incredible armor, sloped and thicker than any other tank up to it's tier, and most tier IV lights/mediums too.
I've never in any tank i've played bounced as many shots as in this one, and i've gotten up to Tier VII in Russian heavy line. I don't know who decided to call this a "light".

The downside is you have bad guns but well the 25mm is not so bad against equal tier opponents (unless they're also an AMX  :D ).
I'd say the role of this tank is to draw fire for your pals in lower tier battles and well die quick if you're facing tier V.

Vahal #15 Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16075 battles
  • [BIMA] BIMA
only french guns cant pen it...  <_<

mcmillis #16 Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 90747 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA

View PostFatigueGalaxy, on 05 January 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

I have 138 DPB and 4 frags, dunno how :D

This tank is actually not that bad :D
Tactics:
-as Top tier -> push forward, take enemy shots because they can't pen you and let your team kill the enemies (having Marder II in platoon works nice)
-as bottom tier -> do suicide rush. Just die as soon as possible and quit battle. You will spend maybe 1-2 minutes in battle and get 50-150 exp. 30 games like that and you can unlock AMX 40 xD which is even more underguned and slower than AMX 38  :Smile-bajan2:

awesome tactic :D translation:
1. as top tier: do nothidg and let other win battle
2. as bottom/middle tier: do the same.....jupiiiii
ps: then reach amx40 and do the same....but it takes more time, of course

imo this tank is meant to be as TARGET: nice armor and nothing else....:P

maniaXXL #17 Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 125523 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
this is .... surprise...baaad surprise. I have researched allmost complete 3 tech. trees, needs changing play style often, but to find any play style at crap named AMX 38 is just not possible. If B1 and AMX 40 coming, where to shoot? ... I can't even to shoot myself in this game  :Smile_harp:
weakspots? ...hmmm, big gun of AMX 40 looking at me ready to shoot me in 2 shots.... so I have too litle time together with poor accuracy to make even little damage.
...but as my brother mcmillis mentioned, win ratio climbing up with Marder II in that bush behind.  :Smile-playing:

GehakteMolen #18 Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Lieutenant –°olonel

• Beta Tester
  • 51751 battles
  • [322] 322
its AWEFULL and the tank after this 1 is even WORSE.

i used free exp and got amx 12 now, its not so good (stock) but i think i will like that tank :)

FatigueGalaxy #19 Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21678 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View Postmcmillis, on 05 January 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

awesome tactic :D translation:
1. as top tier: do nothidg and let other win battle
2. as bottom/middle tier: do the same.....jupiiiii
ps: then reach amx40 and do the same....but it takes more time, of course

imo this tank is meant to be as TARGET: nice armor and nothing else....:P
You can work as target while being top tier and that's exactly what I wrote... What else you can do with your gun?  :Smile_harp:
But as bottom tier - it means battle with T5 mediums and heavies it won't work. Suicide rush is the only way and if you die your team won't lose anything - you were useless from the start xD Dead or alive - whatever... Of course you can camp in bush and wasting time but your result will be still the same (death without doing anything).

Pedro79 #20 Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33402 battles
This AMX 38 is a living nightmare!!!
The speed is just terrible. 6 to uphill... and about 18 on simple ground.
Cant wait to get the xp for AMX 40 then i can sell it. But guess the ugly 40 will be something same.
I miss something self exploding button on this tank. That would be the only pleasure to play on this tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users