AMX 38

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

FreakDC #81 Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6000 battles
This tank is one of the examples of greedy implementations.
On the first testserver it showed up players immediately noticed that it's horrible to play, slower then even the heavy and medium tanks it meets and not enough penetration to even damage T4s.
WG was told over and over again that the AMX 38 and 40 are plain useless if they are not top tier and have retarded armor if they are.

WG ignored it and said: "Well you can always skip it with Free XP $$$ :Smile_trollface-3: "

Broken by design to bully players into spending cash.

Phitt #82 Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2243 battles
Had a funny match with the AMX 38 today. Got 113 (!) hits and only one of them penetrated my armor, a TD sneaking up on me.

http://mwreplays.com...y/IPFDRGNM30B8/

The game itself is quite stupid as I basically just stand there and fire like a maniac, but I think it's funny how a large amount of tanks shoot at me over and over (and over) again and none of them cause any damage (apart from tracks and the mentioned TD).

As top tier it's a great tank if you ask me, the armor is almost impossible to penetrate by t2 or 3 tanks, versus t4 and 5 tanks it's probably crap though.

Edited by Phitt, 13 July 2012 - 08:06 PM.

ETGrenadier #83 Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Private

• Player
  • 739 battles
AMX 38 is one of my favourite tanks, that i've played with.
Eventough it has terrible speed and weak gun, it's armor makes it even.
When playing with tier 2 and tier 3 tanks you can take so much beating that it's unbelivable. Once i was surrounded by 7 tanks and i managed to kill 4 of them before i was destroyed ( i was destroyed because enemys shot trough my tank rear armor but front armor stood as a wall behind me and my enemys ).
When mastered i guess you can take out all enemys when fighting with tier 2 and tier 3 tanks. :Smile-izmena:

GloatingSwine #84 Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15548 battles

View PostETGrenadier, on 30 September 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

When playing with tier 2 and tier 3 tanks you can take so much beating that it's unbelivable. Once i was surrounded by 7 tanks and i

The problem is when you're not in matchups with tier 2 and 3.  Because you don't have any kind of special matchmaking you'll as often as not be matched with tier 4 and 5 opponents, which can regularly penetrate your armour and which you basically can't significantly hurt because your weapon choices are a BB gun or a potato cannon..

Also, you're basically free XP for artillery because you've got such poor mobility.

Now, I'll admit that I didn't use the '38 all that much, only put around 50 matches into it, but it really felt terrible most of the time.  At least the '40 has that 75mm which can penetrate and damage some things some of the time.

SnibediSnabs #85 Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14064 battles
...aaaaaaand wargaming decides to fucking nerf it in 0.8.0

Dreadmau5 #86 Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12714 battles
The AMX 38 is fine, seriously, it has armour, it has... more armour... and ammo, lots of ammo, and small size.
What breaks it are PzIVs, T-34s and every other Tier 4 that points its gun at the little slug.

Changing its MM to Tier 4 max would greatly improve the performane of it as it, sadly, struggles to hold its ground against Tier 4 mediums with 92 penetration on their guns, more armour than the little thing can pen even with the highest RNG pen roll, and more speed, better viewrange, radio, and more crewmen (seriously, most of my games I ended up with over 50% HP and dead crew :Smile_amazed: .

An M3 Lee is a god to the AMX 38, the B1 is a giant wit a big weakspot on the front, the goddam Pz38nA runs circles around it and can't be penned frontally at all, the only good part is that the B1 allready has such a poor gun that it struggles to pen the AMX 38, and the Pz38nA is also a LT, and like the B1 does only pen with 50% of the hits.
Tier 3 TDs like the SU-76 beat this thing up at range with their 60 degree sloped 25mm frontal hull armour, 60% autobounce on the frontside, and WG puts it up against Hetzers, KV-1s, BDR G1Bs, Somua S-40s, PzIVs, T-34s, Shermans(Ok, it can pen the sides of the Shermans, but still)...
With my Pz38t, I could at least run away. With my BT-7 I could run away underwater thanks to its engine and grip, and the speed allowed me to flank Tier 5s. In the T-46 I could, to some extent hurt the sides of Tier 5s, hurt Tier 4s frontally, and derp lowtiers :Smile-playing: .

The AMX 38 is an insult towards the players on their way up the French tree, and to make it even worse, after it comes a new version with 10mm more front armour, even lower power/weight ratio, a huge weakspot in form of a driver cupola below the turret, still awful penetration, and the matchmaking of a Tier 6 :facepalmic: .

The AMX 38 may be a tough nut for Tier 2 LTs, but any Tier 2 TD can make it bleed, and any Tier 3 TD ruins the day for it. Tier 5s? What were the devs thinking...
How about a rebalance here? Shall we say that every tank should be able to pen the rear armour of every tank the Matchbreaker can throw at it? Dedicated scouts and for-their-Tier-and-the-one-above-OP-tanks like the vK28, VK16, T-50(-2), ELC AMX, M5, M24, AMX 12t/13t and A-20 not included for obvious reasons.

Edited by Dreadmau5, 24 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

Dreadmau5 #87 Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12714 battles
Rebought it and trained driver to 75% (with the commander's crew skill boost effect that comes to 80%)
So far, I've had no Tier 5 fights, but the only Tier 4 game I had, I hit with 39 shells, out of which 4 did damage to the tracks of a T-57, and six damaged the superstructure of a SU-85B, which twoshotted me after I got him down to 62hp.

As I wrote before, it is quite UP in terms of firepower, but at least it does take some dings from the enemy, for Tier 5 games however, and considring how few Tier 3s that get into them, I'll be biting the dust trying to find the few weak enough targets.

Thargor11 #88 Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13916 battles
  • [C1DFL] C1DFL
This thing really is an abomination. Kill it before it lays eggs!

But I found one tactic u can consider a working one: Don't move anywhere but stay at your starting point (because if you start moving, the battle will be over before you arrive anywhere). There you can defend your arty against enemy scouts: Even with the useless guns you can track them if you're lucky. That way your arty can shoot them down.

In  summary: I hated it even more  than the AMX 40 (which at least has the 75mm).

Irdatlan #89 Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 23341 battles
  • [C64] C64
I dont know, but i use to like to play this ugly tank. Ofc if u had bad MM then nothing could help you, but it is true for every tank. If I were lucky and got a good MM, well guys... that alway was fun. I sold my AMX 38 and bought the AMX 40. Well, that is really a bag of crap. Helpless :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users