I love the B1 !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
351 replies to this topic

Kvaak #341 Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 13483 battles

View PostRever85, on 18 May 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

One of the worst tanks in the game you can't pent anything 47mm gun is just a joke.
You could always load gold. I mean, if you can't pen another B1 from the side at a 90 degree angle who can really blame you?

Elited mine today just to get the BDR while it's on sale. I ran into so many HEATzers and PZ4s with derps it's not even funny. I know a lot of low tier tanks are utter garbage but this thing is something completely different. Sadly it seems the successor is just as bad if not even worse although I'd expect it to improve when I get the engine and 90mm.

Edited by Kvaak, 18 May 2013 - 04:39 PM.

Chip1337 #342 Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6679 battles
  • [C90] C90
B1...
When I first got it stock and tried to play it, I almost cried.Talk about having your backside handed to you in a handbasket. A humbling experience!
As time went on and I upgraded it, the tank became bearable. Towards the end I had some really good games in it. I walk away with 46 % victories and 6 kills in a game.
Yes, the gun could be so much better. And yes I wept every time I came face to face with a Hetzer.  My solution...
Let "Jingles" (Bohemian Eagle on Youtube) do a replay competition of B1 games. Like he did M3 Lee, turd on tracks. Then lots of people will play it, and we can all have a laugh.
It isnt very good, but fully upgraded, with a decent crew, a net, binos and matched as "top dog", it can surpise!

Hammerbolt #343 Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33732 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
The B1 suffers a lot with MM and historical evolution ingame. When it gets enemies similar to thes it got in May 1940, it owns the field; few can hurt it, and none can survive it. Saddly, such an MM is rare. For a good MM, a player needs the B2...

Ipwnzyou #344 Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles
B1 in tier 4 matches is fun but you more often than not need to spam premium ammo. In tier 5 matches you may as well just quit to garage as you're NOT going to be able to do a damn thing.

Ipwnzyou #345 Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles
And after my sixth KV-1 infested match in a row (thanks weekend special for making everyone play stupidly OP Russian tanks) I just quit mid match.

JohnnyMaverik #346 Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16903 battles
The B1 can work in tier 5... its not easy but it can work, you can pen anything except a KV1 & AMX 40 from some angle or another... those two will bounce more often than not from all angles though, the AMX 40 because its has genuinely well sloped and relatively thick armour all over, the KV1 because it has a russian deflector screen so you drive up to its arse and go "lol pew pew pew" and it just goes... "no, I think you'll find the lol is on you, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, BOOM". Oh and the AT2... yea just run from AT2s.

IronSpear #347 Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25134 battles
Well I just finished the grind and sold it.
It was not awful but I cheated I just spent 300k on gold ammo and was shooting it 50 50. If in tier 4 normal ammo and some gold for Matildas and such tier 5 matches just gold. The pen is then not great but acceptable.
The whole experience was not such a pain as some people make it out to but nothing exciting so it got sold as soon I elited it.

Overall impression was mehhh and move on.

P0mpeius #348 Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14783 battles
At first, I hated this tank. Gradually, I started to love it
Spoiler                     

SnowRelic #349 Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22820 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I <3 the B1 too... started out with the 2nd turret and the last gun since it seemed terrible enough. Drove into the battle as if I were a suicide scout, that is no intention to ever get back to base. Then after a couple of games I noticed I had enough xp's to get the rest of the modules fully upgraded. The B1 feels nimble and light for a heavy. That 47mm might be lacking in damage a bit, but it's ok. So the first game with all the right equipment installed turned out as:
Posted Image
[Replay]
Not as good as the one above me, and the game could have been better - I had a BDR behind me who snatched some damage. Good for him, he ended in second place on our team.

Hammerbolt #350 Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33732 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Been having  a run of bad luck with mine. Keep runing smack into Hetzers with 105s, or packs of Lees...

Last night, it was down to me + 2 lights, with the other side having a Matilda, an AMX40 and a B1... and I run into all three :mellow:  :sceptic:

GlN #351 Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24885 battles
The worst tank imo.

Bejtman #352 Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2844 battles
91 battles played in B1 - win rate of 63%  while my personal total win rate for 2 264 battles in all vehicles is now 52% (no XVM, mods making it easier etc., pure vanilla WoT)
B1 is purely a fun tank for me and I love to troll tier IV with it - sometimes I can even dish out some decent dmg on a tier V game.
I'm running a 1 844 640 silver worth B1, with full camo sets and (currently) 88% crew.
Equipment: GLD, Vents, Spall liner
There's a great guide about B1 on the forums: http://forum.worldof...uide-to-the-b1/
I run with 64 AP and 48 APCR rounds so I can dish out the average 98(74-123) penetration if necessary, but it's usually most reliable on a short distances.
B1 is best played when there's an income bonus for tier IV tanks or french tanks of that line.
APCR is quite cheap so you can use it quite often altough you have to do it smart to earn enough silver to cover the ammo price.
Regarding the enemies B1 sees in Tier IV games:
D2 - mostly a pushover.
AMX 38 - attack it from the side, APCR shouldn't be necessary to deal with it, With APCR it's a quick snack.
Chi-Ha - it has really nice final gun, but players treat it mostly as a sidestep towards upper tier vechicles and it has poor armour. Easy kill for B1, kind of similar to T-28, but with less HP.
FCM36 Pak40 - dangerous in the hand of the right player - with 400m of sight range, it's a designated TD sniper with a good gun. Thankfully, you'll met just a few of these prem TD's and they have to rely on the good, well protected positions while you can use whole map as your area of combat.
T40 - you're able to pen it from the front with standard ammo easily. Use your superior ROF, wiggling (slightly pivoting your tank left and right while remaining stationary) and rain it to death with your S47
T-28 - similar to Chi-Ha, this tank requires a decent, commited player to really be dangerous for you. Most of players sell it quickly because they're enroute to KV-1 or treat it harshly. Mercy kill this no-armour beggar with strong punch.
SAu40 - quite easy target for you. It has poor armour and no love from players that drive it.
AMX 40 - it's a slow tank with poor vision +players hate it and threat it like it was a horrible mate they want to ditch in the next hole near the road. Load APCR, aim at turret hatch or at the top of the sides. No APCR - aim at it's "neck" just below the turret. Mercy-kill.
Valentine AT - good gun, but upper plate is made from paper. Have fun penning it with standard AP.
Marder III - similar situation to FCM 36, it's dangerous if it will ambush you and if it's fully grinded, but currently, love for Marder dropped considerably and it's often an easy kill for you.
Pz 38 nA & Pz III - only Pz's from tier III and IV really worth to mention as opponents to B1, but (just as the rest of them) with APCR, they might be dangerous with their good ROF and aiming. Medium risk factor - Pz III often dies in brawling and scouting, Pz 38 nA gets flanked easily. You're considerably more durable than both of them. No problems with penning them with standard ammo (hit PzIII in the turret - might be front - or sides of whole tank)
Hetzer - with Large Spall Liner on your B1, Hetzers derps will have prolly smaller effect on you, but APCR is a must if Hetzer is engaged from the front - short distance only, otherwise lower plate might not be penetrated with APCR. From sides, Hetzers die quickly from standard ammo. They are very dangerous if they have initiative advantage over you, but their drivers are accustomed to treat B1 as an easy target. That's the moment when APCR kicks in. In 1vs1 situation on semi-close range, with proper wiggling/scraping/manouvering, APCR and equal initiative, you should take down Hetzer unless you're damaged significantly.
M5A1 Stuart - dangerous opponent if you're not sidescrapping+wiggling and if you'll allow it to attack you from the back. Players like this tank to some extent, so it's a good idea to destroy it early when it's scouting. It's armour is poor, so standard AP should be enough to deal with it most of the time.
Alecto - nasty derp on this one, but it's armour is very poor. It has also some issues with aiming. Don't allow it to rush you/fend off with standard AP ammo and you should be good.
M3 Lee - it has not bad frontal armour and a decent gun that can hurt you badly if you'll engage it in open, head to head combat, but it's inferior to B1 in terms of ROF, HP pool, all around armour and gun mobility. To be honest, it's just a mediocre threat most of the time.
M8A1 - dangerous opponent in a proper hands, less ROF than Stuart, more DMG that it ditches out with a shot. Use your ROF to drop it's so-so HP pool (250) fast.
Valentine - decent gun and good armour on this one, but it's slow and it's armour is poorly sloped. Using APCR and flanking is advised, otherwise it might be a troublesome opponent.
SU76 & 85 - both dangerous because of the top guns mounted on them. First one has dangerously high ROF, but it tends to be dealt with quickly due to very low HP pool (150). Second one has more HP and stronger gun, but average ROF and still a paper armour.
B2 740 - arguably superior, IRL usually slightly inferior brother of your B1. Dangerous opponent with better traverse speed, but 20hp less and upped S35 gun that has still less pen than your top S37. Traverse advantage and aiming time advantage of B2 will usually be minimalised by the short distance of your fratricidal combat. It will result in much more bounces from your armour than from his armour due to the gun-pen difference, altough most of the time you will decide to load APCR and burn it to the ground. B2 players tend use APCR ammo almost as often as you because they're there mostly for kills, but aggressive mindset of B2 player is a major weak spot when fighting careful B1 player as well.
Matilda - Tier IV alpha, but this can be used againt t easily. Matilda players rarely use APCR ammo and rarely give a damn about weak spots because their QF 2 PDR slices through everything (at least almost). Sidescraping is something they forget about a lot as well, not to mention wiggling that could prevent them from shooting their mighty shots efficiently. B1 turret and sidescrapped armour tend to bounce off some % of Matilda's shots. Load APCR and aim mercilessly at front-plate weak spot in the hull that's just a 90 degree plate of armour. You'll get hurt a lot, but Matilda will be in flames at that point. Matilda players are accustomed to B1 being driven by newbies so the shock factor will be on your side as well.
Artillery threat - it's significant, but Large Spall Liner should save your skin most of the times
In tier V games:
- you're still a worthy part of your team
- go for tier IV opponents if possible
- you cannot play the road block like in tier IV games, try to hang out with a pack of Tier V HT's and provide them a high ROF fire support against flankers and weak-armoured high ROF TD's like T49
- if there's a stalemate to break via moving forward and pulling some fire from Tier V alpha's of your team, it's your job to do it. You might not survive it, but this is paid with a worthy seconds of activity that your damaged Tier V friends get.
- flank a bit if possible, create a fuss with your 47mm high ROF gun and pull some of the KV-1 and T1 fire on yourself. You are quite mobile in peekaboo'ing and that's what you should do in such a situation. Use your decent gun depression, terrain and small turret to drop enemies DMG per minute ratio
- avoid engaging KV1 if it cannot be destroyed by your team mates quickly; KV1 weak spot frontal plate will usually bounce a lot of your shots because you will be engaging Tier V opponents from longer distance than Tier IV tanks, thus even APCR usually won't not be enough to pierce it making this tank invincible opponent for you
- most of the tier V vechicles will be a significant or big threat for you, but you will still be able to dish out some dmg, even with standard AP's if you know how and who to engage (BDR paper side armour, Pz IV/T-34//Stug III/Crusader/M4 sides etc.)
Have fun rolling with your B1 mates!  :glasses:

Edited by Bejtman, 01 September 2013 - 08:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users