Question regarding Bans and disclosing information

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Noivilbo #1 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:17 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15406 battles

When you report someone though player support, the answer you get back is more or less something like we can't disclose information on the action taken due to privacy.

My question is, what privacy? Is there a law that withholds or prohibits the company from informing the person filing the report if the person was banned or if any actions were taken against him?

Drone81 #2 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:21 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24452 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

it's just WG covering their own ars

sometimes if you get a good support person you can read between the lines what has happend

arthurwellsley #3 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55914 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoivilbo, on 28 April 2020 - 09:17 AM, said:

When you report someone though player support, the answer you get back is more or less something like we can't disclose information on the action taken due to privacy.

My question is, what privacy? Is there a law that withholds or prohibits the company from informing the person filing the report if the person was banned or if any actions were taken against him?

War Gaming try to justify this under GDPR. For myself I can say as a UK lawyer this is a complete misreading of the regulations as they have been implemented in the UK. However, each of the 28 EU countries enacted their own domestic legislation to comply with the EU directive to do so. Some countries will be slightly stronger and some weaker. WG sells World of Tanks digital content in all those countries and thus takes a somewhat overly prescriptive reading of the regulations to ensure that they do not breach any of the 28 countries domestic laws.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 28 April 2020 - 10:24 AM.

Noivilbo #4 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:26 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15406 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 28 April 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

War Gaming try to justify this under GDPR. For myself I can say as a UK lawyer this is a complete misreading of the regulations as they have been implemented in the UK. However, each of the 28 EU countries enacted their own domestic legislation to comply with the EU directive to do so. Some countries will be slightly stronger and some weaker. WG sells World of Tanks digital content in all those countries and thus takes a somewhat overly prescriptive reading of the regulations to ensure that they do not breach any of the 28 countries domestic laws.

GDPR is explained in their privacy policy 

"By “Personal Data”, we refer to data that relates to you as an identified or identifiable natural person. The term “Personal Data” may include your name, your address, your telephone number, your e-mail address, your age, your gender, your game preferences, for instance. Anonymous information, which we are not in a position to relate to you, does not qualify as “Personal Data”."

Anonymous nicknames online don't qualify as personal information so confirming if someone received a ban or not to the player filing the report isn't a GDPR violation

Edited by Noivilbo, 28 April 2020 - 10:27 AM.

arthurwellsley #5 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55914 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoivilbo, on 28 April 2020 - 09:26 AM, said:

Anonymous nicknames online don't qualify as personal information so confirming if someone received a ban or not to the player filing the report isn't a GDPR violation

As I said in my earlier post some countries implemented the EU directive with tighter domestic legislation than other countries.

Thus your assertion "Anonymous nicknames online don't qualify as personal information" Is correct in some countries and WRONG in other countries.

Because WG sell their product in a number of countries, they take a very prescriptive view of what they are permitted to disclose.

As a lawyer I think this approach by the WG legal department is wrong, but I understand their corporate caution and why they have chosen to go down this route.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 28 April 2020 - 10:33 AM.

Drone81 #6 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24452 battles
  • [1VTD] 1VTD

View Postarthurwellsley, on 28 April 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

As I said in my earlier post some countries implemented the EU directive with tighter domestic legislation than other countries.

Thus your assertion "Anonymous nicknames online don't qualify as personal information" Is correct in some countries and WRONG in other countries.

Because WG sell their product in a number of countries, they take a very prescriptive view of what they are permitted to disclose.

As a lawyer I think this approach by the WG legal department is wrong, but I understand their corporate caution and why they have chosen to go down this route.

since your a lawyer dont mind me for asking;

on several occasions in wows i get "chat bans" because players abuse the report system

when i ask for proof of set violations they fail to provide any such evidence, let alone the date of set violations.

at one point some one of support actualy accused me of commiting a hate crime . . .

what about that?

SoupFork #7 Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17339 battles

I've reported people for severley messing up other people's games through trolling and physics abuse,

Sent it in, politely, with replay, timestamps, screenshots etc. and I've gotten replies confirming they'd be sanctioned:

From checking this gentleman's player record daily at the time, it appears he ended up with a 7 day ban. So reporting does work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users