Blocking missions.. Does anyone at Wargaming actually play this game?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Blocked Damage (48 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

In your view, are the blocked damage missions a welcome addition to this game?

1. Yes, I think they have a positive impact on the game. (9 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. No, I think they have a negative impact on the game. (38 votes [79.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.17%

3. I don't have an opinion. (1 vote [2.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

Vote Hide poll

chessstud #1 Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:22 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19448 battles

I've decided to go grind out the missions. I can understand how a lot of them are connected to actual skill, such as doing x amount of damage, killing x amount of vehicles, get x amount of assisting damage, get x amount of mastery badges. I will probably never be able to do some of these as a result of my skill level, which is fine and I accept this. However, these blocking missions are simply ridiculous. Who was the person who sat down at Wargaming and suggested this? Whoever it was, they obviously do not actually play this game. There are several reasons why this mission is absurd.

1. You have little control over whether you achieve this mission.

You simply have to rely on teams shooting you in the wrong place. The player doing this mission has limited control of this. I had my is7 just now in good positions hull down and was trying to soak up the damage. What happened? The enemy team all either don't shoot me or spam HE at me. So how many hundred games will I have to wait before I encounter an enemy team that just fires, without penetrating, at my turret?

2. There is nothing good about blocking lots of damage.

Unlike getting a certain amount of kills or damage, this mission does reward quality play that helps your team win. Gone are the days of 2013 when everyone fires AP and angling your tank actually made a difference. Nowadays you have to assume that people will fire gold constantly at you. Failure to do this will result in an early departure to the garage. This mission rewards people sitting in the open and simply being lucky due to either bounces or low-IQ enemies shooting at the wrong place. 

3. It incentivises playing like a bot, which can have an impact on the overall team performance.

When you watch streamers trying to do this mission, you see that they end up missing enemy tanks on purpose to soak up more blocked damage. I have even found myself doing this in order to complete the mission in relatively close games. This mission could therefore lead to games being lost because a person is prioritising the mission over the winning of the game.

4. It's boring

As opposed to missions that mean you have to kill tanks or do damage that are exciting, this mission is incredibly dull. I know what might be exciting and boring is a relative concept. I'm sure playing this game would be boring for my grandmother, but I believe most of us would agree. Please correct me if I'm wrong and let me know if you enjoy sitting in front of tanks receiving damage.

5. With the current meta nowadays, only half the enemy team are able to contribute to the damage blocked.

I just played a game in a type 4 heavy with the idea of perhaps doing this mission. I got 4500 blocked, which is OK, however not nearly as much as I currently need. I had a look at the enemy team in World of Tanks, and saw 8 tanks. The rest were cars and artillery. The cars spam HE due to their OP gun (let's ignore this completely broken class of tank), so that rules out getting any blocked damage from them. Artillery obviously can't contribute towards blocked damage (let's ignore this completely broken class of tank)

6. Have you seen how much gold people sling at high tiers?

Seriously, go download XVM and look at your received hit log, it's like the legend of El Dorado. This has rendered "super heavies" unplayable. Even super unicums struggle with these as a result of people slinging gold at you. Here's an interesting example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCYJY-q8qgg. It makes the mission extremely difficult because of the gold situation.

If you would like to add any reasons explaining why the blocking missions should be scraped, please add them to my list. I'm sure as a result of oversight or of the haste in writing this, I may have missed some. 

If you disagree with me and think I'm talking through my hat, please also let me know any counter-arguments to what I've written. Of course, the usual mob of 14,000 post counters will come and criticise this post, as usua;. This seems to be a common trend here. A person with hardly any posts makes a thread about something negative, then the veterans of the forum criticise them and defend Wargaming. 

shikaka9 #2 Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:20 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 78498 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

there is two skills in this game:

1. power of pay

2. power of grind 

:)

splash_time #3 Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:25 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 16499 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Just grab a defender and go in the open field of campinovka or prokh. If it's Germany, take the Maus out there. And wish for some bad players to miss you. Either that, or pray in every battle you start to complete them. :D

pihip #4 Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17342 battles
I think the game as it is now makes them obsolete and frustrating.

Everyone spams gold ammo (even when unneeded but this is another story for another thread) so heavy armor often becomes dead weight of little value, but then again, sometimes you can't even blame the gold spammers - how is one supposed to fight a Type 5 Heavy or an Object 268 V4 from the front without going for the 2-key?

Gremlin182 #5 Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63526 battles

I don't actively grind the missions because its just gets depressing so they happen when they happen.

Sometimes in a good matchup I get one done but its been some time now.

Once I got the T55a reward tank from the first set of missions I realised how tough the final set were.

Second set I managed the excalibur and thats it so far.

Last blocking one I completed was the HT15 for the T55a block deal and take 12000 damage did that in the type 5 heavy.

The second set of missions are better because they allow you to complete some over several games rather than one.

SuperOlsson #6 Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25335 battles
  • [Q-KEN] Q-KEN

Yes they are stupid, you basically have to find a few bad enemies who shoot and bounce you without switching to HE or get tired of it, while the rest of your team is also kinda bad, so they don't manage to kill the enemies who are shooting you, and you usually have to be top tier as well. There are a few tanks where this is easier, you need a tank that has armor while the enemy still thinks he can pen you, such as VK45.02b, which if angled correctly can bounce gold with its turret armor, but many foes believe they can pen you anyway, because they can if you are unangled.

Did the HT blocking mission for t-55a or T28 concept in KV-3, found a game where a bunch of tier 5 and 6 shot a lot on me and bounced, I specifically remember missing on purpose and pretending I didn't notice 2 tier 5 tanks that flanked me, since they weren't doing any damage anyways, would have been an easy carry with half a brain if I tried to win, but now I lost the game because I wanted to win, did another of the blocking missions in VK 45.02b, where I after many attempts found a hulldown Caernarvon who were willing to bounce my turret for like a few minutes and "unfortunately" I had bad RNG and missed my shots at him all the time. So yes, completing blocking missions is more about having the stars align for you than skill, which is stupid.

Edited by SuperOlsson, 30 April 2020 - 09:46 AM.

Pathethicc_Noob #7 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39037 battles

View PostSuperOlsson, on 30 April 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

Yes they are stupid, you basically have to find a few bad enemies who shoot and bounce you without switching to HE

Pretty much this, if you are "tryharding" to get those missions done. I ve done all my blocking missions over the time when I was randomly playing not focusing on them. But yes, if you are focused on specific mission, then you have to play like complete tomato, and hope to engage another complete tomatoes that will shoot you when they have no chance of penning you, shoot you to sidescrape, ... it can help that if you find such guy, drove to him, miss him on purpose, and let him shoot you.. 

Truly amazing missions.

SovietBias #8 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40691 battles

Agreed these are amongst the worst designed missions. Unfortunately, blocking missions were included in both campaigns, (260 and 279), so I am hoping I can skip them with those tokens.

If only the share of HE damage mitigated by armour would count as blocked..

You also might want not to preemptively dismiss those that don't share the same opinion as you.

Rainbowkiss83 #9 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:58 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27205 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE
Just give me some credits or XP for blockin damage...:sceptic:
I mean...do you know how frustrating is to see people winning cuz u can dance with ur heavy and "attract" all enemies shots while they cap and deal damage?
U end up having tons of damage blocked...and nothing to compensate.
It could even be a 25...even 10% of the credits/xp 
Or, calculate a max amount of Hp u can block and earn credits and after that GG.

WhoCares01 #10 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29602 battles

As you have figured out on your own, tier 10 is a mess with fartys and wheelchairs, HESH spamming 183 guns, and unlimited HEAT or desparate HE spam. It's cerainly no welcoming place to try for bounce missions.

Looking at your stats, I guess you are after the T55A HT missions. All missions of the first campaign can be done with tier 6-10 tanks. As said, tier 10 is a tough environment for bounce missions, so probably stay away from it. Tier 6, I am not so sure, no immediate "contestant" spring to my mind, apart from the O-I maybe. At tier 7 there are a few, like O-Ni, KV-3, T29 (hull-down). Tier 8 has probably the most candidates, Defender has already been mention, KV-4, O-Ho, T32, and probably the tanks most often mentioned in context with bounce missions, the VK100P. Tier 9 also has plenty of tanks with good bounce potential, my vote would go to AMX M4mle51, for the T55A bounce missions I think I used the E75.

But there is another suggestion I would like to give you: do not just focus on one mission and campaign. Diversify your tank collection a little more (=grind a coulpe more trees of other nations than Russia ;) ), and activate in parallel similar missions from the Excalibur mission set.  That way, occasionally you will complete some of those particularly annoying missions while trying for someting else.

E.g. in the last month(s) I pressed hard to complete T55A and Chimera, and now focussing on Obj279 but of course also running Obj260 missions in parallel. After I got the T55A and tried Union.15 for Chimera, I activated the Obj260 bounce missions as they are so closely related. And sure enough, I eventually had such a battle that failed the Chimera mission, but completed the HT bounce mission. And while trying for Chimera Alliance.15 with SConq, I managed to complete the Obj260 HT cap mission - another one of those frustrating missions, if you try to focus-grind them.

Edit: Also cheer up, it could be worse. There is just 1 real bounce mission for T55A (+HT.15 where bounce may be a significant share to your score).

For Obj279 across the nation sets there are 7 bounce missions, and you have to consistently bounce over multiple battles! Good luck with those :facepalm:

Edited by WhoCares01, 30 April 2020 - 12:10 PM.

aps1 #11 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30375 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6
Blocking missions went from one of the easiest to the hardest. And the things you listed are spot on.

I was lucky enough to complete the T55 A missions in the period where blocking missions where easy and I used directives to complete HT mission 15 for the 260. If you want my advices I would get as many orders as you can and use them on HT missions for the T55a and 260. All other lines are achievable in time. If you have any spare directives I would use them on td mission 15 for the 260.

Don’t let it get you down and try and split your missions up. So you not just focusing on one.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77299 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Eh... they are no first variant MT-12.

But like most of these, inc stun assist, damage to one class, internal crit hits or block 2x or 4x your HP even. Most of them are completed with luck more so than skill, and that's my issue with them. Thus they can be more annoying. As most block missions I do, it's not because the enemy aims badly or just went for side vs flat head-on armor. But because I was lucky that they had a few stock tanks on their team. Last block mission I did, I thought I was up vs a 3K DPM Caernarvon platoon. But both were using the stock turret and gun. And I was alone vs them, as the other HT was a support med that went the medium lane. So I pushed and did keep them around the corner from my TD fire.

Edited by Balc0ra, 30 April 2020 - 11:28 AM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #13 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45794 battles

Blocking missions are easy.

Maus (or any of that line) parked in an obvious spot, fire off a shot to draw attention to yourself and the shells will come a' flying.

Got a replay somewhere of my VK100 amassing close to 11000 in less than two minutes :D

MeetriX #14 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26767 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

What do you mean by stupid missions?

Latest blocking mission I've done was Block-7.

Most amount of blocking dmg, minimum 1000. Ten times.

I hop in O-Ni, triple tap R and went to smoke.

undutchable80 #15 Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14883 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSovietBias, on 30 April 2020 - 10:26 AM, said:

If only the share of HE damage mitigated by armour would count as blocked..

This ^^

the_nebuchadnezzar #16 Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 57433 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
I'm pretty sure most WG staff don't play the game, but I think OP doesn't play it either. Cause if he did he would know you don't need to download XVM to see what type of ammo others shot at you since WG introduce this hit log into the client like 2 years ago....

UrQuan #17 Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:29 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22389 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Don't get the fuss about the blocking missions. Variety is nice & quite some classes now got bouncy tanks.

You'll get hit in the game anway, no matter how much you'll try to avoid it, so can as well learn how to maximize your armor, no matter how little you got of it, so you can endure some more or get out a situation with less damage then anticipated. Or just make the enemy bleed credits on your armored tank.

Andylilmo #18 Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30280 battles

I do feel they are slightly crazy.

Im currently on the Block 3 times your HP and do 2k damage, nearest ive come is on Prok with no arty and no lights. I drove up sniper alley in my Obj 705 i got 6.2k blocked but was killed when i got to the VK 45 02B and had only done 1700 damage only neded 1 more hit but was killed. 

Regards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users