AMX 38 - the NOT light tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

vici30 #21 Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9934 battles
I made Steel Wall 4 times in a row with that tank :)

Todd #22 Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6133 battles

View PostVolcano, on 06 January 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

You know what ? I think you're not totally wrong when you tell that ^^ But you should also think that WoT is a game and that it doesn't totally reflects the reality, otherwise we should be able to use the hull-mounted 75mm gun of the B1 heavy tank or the small turret-mounted gun of the M3 Lee ;)

I wonder how implementing multiturret use would affect balance... M3 lee might become a real killer, and B1 the new derpmachine

CrazyWelshy #23 Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12789 battles
  • [M_G_C] M_G_C
While I'm not too experienced with this tank, I've just had two games where I took on average 30 shots per game in the face, none really bounced but hit.  None of my health was touched, but my modules were being slammed pretty badly.

I've been called a hacker a couple of times, and honestly, I can't blame them at this point.  This tank will take a shot in a face from a damned M3 Lee, both AP and HE!  That isn't good.  If they bounced I can understand since it's armour is slightly sloped and very angular.  But to take actual hits and laugh?  Something is fishy.

I feel sorry for all the M3's I've nailed...

SL28 #24 Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11874 battles
  • [BSG] BSG
AMX 38 is a horrible tank. Yes, it has massive armor, but the gun options are all really bad. When meeting the AMX 38 you have little to fear so get to it's flank or rear and shoot at weak spots at close range.

CrazyWelshy #25 Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12789 battles
  • [M_G_C] M_G_C
Yeah, on the offence, its a poor tank.

j_gagarin #26 Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 71780 battles
  • [VAD-V] VAD-V
Just wait till u meet AMX-40.
More heavely armored, deadly 75 mm gun.
But barely moves (top speed on fltat terrain 20kmh).

If top dog (not to often), almost indestructible.

shoot_me #27 Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12164 battles
I just had a game where i fired 58 rounda, of which 40 hit the target, i received 70 rounds but lost only 40% health.

I blocked the whole remaining enemy team from getting past me and into the base, i had 8 enemy tanks detected, i killed 2 of them and damaged 4.

this tank, correctly placed is FUN to play...it moves slowly, but when it has arrived it doesnt retreat..i dont even think it has a reverse pedal installed, to be honest.

Schwartz_Geist #28 Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1478 battles
The 38 is a steaming pile of dog shit.  It is typically in tier 5 runs where you are 1 shot by KV, SU-85, etc.

This piece of shit has no redeeming qualities
1. Too damn slow to make it to the fight
2. Too damn slow to run from attackers
3. Piece of turd pop gun
4. Too much damn exp needed for AMX 40
5. In Tier 5 loss I get maybe 10 exp
6. In Tier 5 win I get maybe 250 exp

Exp levels are tied to dmg.  And since this piece of shit can't get into fights vs tanks it can actually damage you are nothing but cannon fodder.  In fact - your presence on a team makes that team worse.  Run today we got stuck with 3 of these turds on our team and other team had zero.  We had our asses kicked.

WG Devs have a lot of nerve putting this piece of shit in the game and forcing people to grind through it.  One of the most worthless tanks in the entire game.

Kellomies #29 Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15159 battles
That one-man turret design principle prewar French designer favoured had some issues (notably, one rather overworked commander/gunner/loader), but the not inconsiderable benefit was that it allowed for some very compact machines indeed. If you look at period photographs where there's something (say, a person) to give scale it's hard to not be startled by just *how* small the things could be.
And low volume translates to low surface area translates to really thick skin for comparatively little weight...

Dreadmau5 #30 Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12714 battles
AMX 38... How do i put this? Armour, just a big chunk of armour with tracks. At Tier 3, sure, it can be a beast against other LTs, against MTs, it gets penned but pens back, against TDs... It can't spot them at over 300m range due to their camo value and the 25mm hull armour of the SU-76 is unpennable at 60-deg angle, not to speak of the Tier 2 TDs that can break it at mid-close range with no problem...

This thing could had been enjoyable, but it gets matched with Tier 5 tanks that it just can't pen even when shoting their rear plating, and heavies speedy enough to circle it.

What you need to remember when fighting this thing with your Tier 2 Light tank is that you're commiting suicide, it is designed to be unbeatable vs Tier 2 LTs and MTs. Get a TD's attention on him and watch the fireworks.
If you're in a Tier 3 LT or MT, you have a chance, as long as you keep circling it, shooting the rear will allways pen unless you're in an AMX 38 yourself, in which case you should ingore him and press on.

The AMX 38 is OP when fighting Tier 2 LTs, MTs and SPGs, since neither can deal much damage even with HE shells. Against Tier 3 tanks, it is "good", as it can still bounce alot of shells with its armour, but can have troubble penetration enemies at range, and those who don't want to fight it can outrun it easily and take care of its teammates before engaging it. Vs Tier 4 tanks, the AMX 38 is obsolete, it has armour to bounce some shots, but most Tier 4 tanks can easily penetrate its armour, and have too much armour themselves to allow it to do damage.
Currently, it faces Tier 5 tanks, which it has troubble penetrating the sides of, and in the case of the Russian T-34 and KV-1, will autobounce wherever it hits unless hitting a weapsot, which is hard to do when both of them move faster than the AMX 38 and have more accurate armaments.

Short story: If its matchmaking is set to put it in Tier 4 games tops then I'd like it, but it is ruined by Tier 3 arty, Tier 4 TDs with bigger guns, higher top speed, almst twice as thick armour and guns that can frontally oneshoot this little Frenchie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users