Wargaming's understanding of the concept of gun inaccuracy

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

qpranger #1 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

They think it means "fired by a drunk crew through a broken barrel".

Despite the player having rock steady fingers, top crew, improved equipment, etc.

It fills me with disgust after having experienced normal gun inaccuracy in War Thunder.

I am just less and less motivated to continue playing even Frontline.

Shame, Wargaming, shame.

Edited by qpranger, 30 April 2020 - 07:11 PM.

Bigtime_Alarm #2 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24161 battles
I wouldnt mind if it was even but it is unidirectional - one way accuracy in favour of the other guy

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25374 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostBigtime_Alarm, on 30 April 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

I wouldnt mind if it was even but it is unidirectional - one way accuracy in favour of the other guy

Really....so you've never seen someone on a losing team with bigger damage than anyone on the winning team.

wsatnutter #4 Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27425 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Fisherman on the prowl 

evilchaosmonkey #5 Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:18 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18900 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

Still not as bad as Call of Duty which put artificial lag in people who invested in good internet so those with awful internet could enjoy the game more.

WG still have a way to go to sink to that level of muppetness.

Edited by evilchaosmonkey, 30 April 2020 - 08:18 PM.

Thejagdpanther #6 Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 39675 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS
VoDKA RaSHA StroNK AiM!! No FaIL !

DaniulSims #7 Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11471 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
Damn, ain't seen one of those "WT Is better" threads in a while.

Spurtung #8 Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:50 PM

General

• Player
  • 80837 battles

View Postevilchaosmonkey, on 30 April 2020 - 07:18 PM, said:

Still not as bad as Call of Duty which put artificial lag in people who invested in good internet so those with awful internet could enjoy the game more.

WG still have a way to go to sink to that level of muppetness.

That is actually a good thing.

You see, when you talk of "investing", you have to address that in some places there simply isn't enough of a good service, no matter how much you're willing to invest.

For example, I've had 6ms in a hotel in Germany, and I'd call lag to having 25ms while living in Sweden. Right now, back in Portugal, I can't get below 50ms no matter what option I choose or investment I'm willing to do. Having played with all those scenarios, I can guarantee you there is a huge difference, particularly when turning a corner or taking a shot at the same time your opponent does.

So, yeah, leveling the field does seem like a good idea to me, but that's my 2 cents.

wEight_Tanker #9 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13049 battles
  • [D_L_Z] D_L_Z

Needs more cowbell.

...Where am I?

NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36650 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

If anyone remembers the tank football event from 2018, and the laser-accuracy of the guns...

That was the most satisfying shooting experience in this game, ever.

You don't realize how good it feels when your shots land where you aim them until you've tried it.

WG nerfs global accuracy to ridiculous levels because of "small maps" and "engagement distance". It's made to make you get closer to your enemy, it's made to discourage camping...but it doesn't make much sense when the tanks which are by all means meant to be camping (glass cannons) can't hit their targets reliably.

It's like having a sniper class which doesn't shoot straight, doesn't shoot weakpoints, but instead just aims at the general area which covers most of the targetted tank, hoping for a killshot instead of confirming it.

If a sniper missed in real life, his shot would be an instant mission failure, because the target will be aware of the danger they're in and disperse immediately. In fact, the same happens in this game. You shoot a tank, bounce or hit the dirt near it, and it knows it's in your firing line, so it backs off, and then what? More camping, no progression, a draw is more likely, and everyone's unhappy. Great game huh...

Please don't make me point out that I did not in fact mean all tanks should have laser-like accuracy...because I obviously didn't mean that...seriously...

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 30 April 2020 - 10:15 PM.

Kohlebagger #11 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21041 battles

It's because to this day WG refuses to openly communicate the "hidden" stats. Also completly useless stats like Aim-time with an Asterisk that tells you at the bottom that this means 1/3rd of the sqaure root of the circumfence of the circle divided by time³.

VsUK #12 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles
I think there's some mechanic's in place that kicks in that decides you're going to lose no matter what. Having your your whole tank covered apart from a heavily armoured turret & gun with one small weak point. Your target in the open on low hp. So low, if you throw a stone at the tank, you'd kill it. You fire pop, critical no damage. You fire again, goes nowhere near the centre of your retical. At this time the target realises your shooting at him, you manage to get one more shot off pop, critical no damage. But on the snap, pop hits that small weak point on your turret & dead. 

Also, I think being able to lock onto targets without highlighting them should be banned completely & remove the built in aim lock. It's not needed nor does it help anyone other than EBR's who never seem to miss their shots whilst moving full pelt up & over obstacles & dodging an entire teams fire.

When you click to fire. Everything else that happens after that isn't skill, nor tactical knowledge. It's completely random, decided by WG's RNG mechanic's. You realise your winning a few games & your doing well. So you activate a 2 hour exp boost. Then pop, bottom tier tank every match & you don't win any of them. Almost like they have a mechanism to make you suffer when you use consumables. 

Edited by VsUK, 30 April 2020 - 11:29 PM.

BravelyRanAway #13 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25374 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostVsUK, on 30 April 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

I think there's some mechanic's in place that kicks in that decides you're going to lose no matter what. Having your your whole tank covered apart from a heavily armoured turret & gun with one small weak point. Your target in the open on low hp. So low, if you throw a stone at the tank, you'd kill it. You fire pop, critical no damage. You fire again, goes nowhere near the centre of your retical. At this time the target realises your shooting at him, you manage to get one more shot off pop, critical no damage. But on the snap, pop hits that small weak point on your turret & dead. 

Also, I think being able to lock onto targets without highlighting them should be banned completely & remove the built in aim lock. It's not needed nor does it help anyone other than EBR's who never seem to miss their shots whilst moving full pelt up & over obstacles & dodging an entire teams fire.

When you click to fire. Everything else that happens after that isn't skill, nor tactical knowledge. It's completely random, decided by WG's RNG mechanic's. You realise your winning a few games & your doing well. So you activate a 2 hour exp boost. Then pop, bottom tier tank every match & you don't win any of them. Almost like they have a mechanism to make you suffer when you use consumables. 

This is what happens when you can't come to terms with your own ability.

Spoiler

Pathethicc_Noob #14 Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39037 battles

Wasn't accuracy better in some first years of the game and then they nerfed it ? I dunno, asking :D

Problem of accuracy is that ± 25 % applies to it. ± 25% on damage rolls is fine, but it should be lower on penetration and accuracy. I mean, you aim at weakspot properly with enough pene to go through the armor of enemy tank, but you get extremely small pene rell and you can go F yourself, same with accuracy. You play some paper sniper tank, glass cannon, and try to snipe enemy heavy tank on long range. You get bad accu rolls and your shells fly to wonderland, and given how some tanks have weakspots that arent real weakspots its even better. 

And then you hit several long range snapshots with Defender because Rasha stronk crew aim beter with vodka da.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #15 Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 36972 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Post_Carpaccio_, on 01 May 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

Problem of accuracy is that ± 25 % applies to it. ± 25% on damage rolls is fine, but it should be lower on penetration and accuracy. 

No it doesn't, that's a common misconception. Accuracy is calculated on a weighted curve which distributes shots towards the centre point. This means if you fired 100 shots predominantly more would be on target than not. 

Pathethicc_Noob #16 Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39037 battles
Ok might have been wrong in that one, but doesnt change fact that accuracy in this game is often joke.

hasnainrakha57 #17 Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22882 battles
Rigged game missing my fully aim shots in leo 1 rather play 430u that hits leo 1 showing its little part of turret and not fully aimed and then hiting someone and shot goes straight into it's cupola mid and penetrating him I wasn't even aiming at it's cupola XD

Edited by hasnainrakha57, 01 May 2020 - 11:50 AM.

Karasu_Hidesuke #18 Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17494 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

I still don't get what the eff is this thing called aiming circle and what's the effing point of having to wait 20 secs for it narrow down. What exactly is supposed to happen? The gunner is screwing the barrel (which is no factor in WoT gun inaccuracy) tighter? What exactly is that supposed to be modeling? Meditation excercises? :sceptic:

Per shot it almost seems that you get the exact same result whether you shoot a fully 'aimed' shot or a snap shot with you gun. Statistical variances don't matter in terms of how rarely you fire your gun during the battle, unless you have a very high rate of fire.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 36972 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostKarasu_Hidesuke, on 01 May 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

Per shot it almost seems that you get the exact same result whether you shoot a fully 'aimed' shot or a snap shot with you gun. Statistical variances don't matter in terms of how rarely you fire your gun during the battle, unless you have a very high rate of fire.

Go try it out in a training room. Drive around at full tilt and snapshotting a target and see how many shots actually hit versus sitting still and aiming in fully. Maybe you'll get the idea of the difference the aim circle makes. 

jimarascool #20 Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1984 battles
  • [AL_GR] AL_GR

View PostSpurtung, on 30 April 2020 - 10:50 PM, said:

That is actually a good thing.

You see, when you talk of "investing", you have to address that in some places there simply isn't enough of a good service, no matter how much you're willing to invest.

For example, I've had 6ms in a hotel in Germany, and I'd call lag to having 25ms while living in Sweden. Right now, back in Portugal, I can't get below 50ms no matter what option I choose or investment I'm willing to do. Having played with all those scenarios, I can guarantee you there is a huge difference, particularly when turning a corner or taking a shot at the same time your opponent does.

So, yeah, leveling the field does seem like a good idea to me, but that's my 2 cents.

lmao my normal is 80 ms but I can do up to 999 if it isnt my day :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users