Mods are asleep - honest opinions & game state

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

OnTheVerge #1 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9130 battles

POPULAR

Since it appears all the mods are either asleep or gone for the holiday today, let me share an honest opinion about the forums and its denizens:

You suck. You are inexcusably pathetic, to the point that I've never seen this level of cognitive dissonance before, and I'm by no means young or inexperienced when it comes to the internet.

The game is broken. It is the epitome of corporate greed run amok, where only short-term money matters, nothing else. The whole game model is one big dark pattern, and is designed as such.

Many players are obviously frustrated, and they complain, even making perfect sense half the time, instead of just randomly ranting and screaming into the cold air.

And you not only defend it fervently, even though you experience the same frustrations and designed shortcomings of this gambling experience, but you ATTACK those that dare defy the gospel.

A guy complains that his shots are dipping, they are frustrated - the game is not working as they were led to believe. Some replies are helpful. Some are replies are sympathetic. But half of the replies are these:

1. Get good bro, luck is a skill

2. WhEreArE the StaTistiCs

3. Did you forget your medicine today hehhe so funny

Pathetic. I don't post on the forums, and I don't complain, but I see it every day, and let me give an answer now that the mods/curators/censors of the union are gone:

There is no skill to speak of. Your 'skill' is the art of navigating through a chaotic environment and minimizing the RNG. Most of you didn't acquire it consciously (by learning), but intuitively (by bruteforcing enough games so you get the 'feel' for it). I know this because you can't explain your skill. The 'guides' and 'advice' you give betray a fundamental lack of insight into something that is a mix of muscle memory and basic pattern matching, and you're consciously unaware of what those patterns are. All of you like this are pathetic, as you are not 'skilled', but rather 'endowed', which is something you have no control over. If your skill is not translatable, then it is not a skill, but a quality, like a big nose, or blue eyes.

2. WhEreArE the StaTistiCs/GIVE PROOF/fRomWhAtSampLe???

You don't know anything about statistics. Most of you just echo what you've seen from the devs, and you just simply don't know what you're talking about. Take an online course, it takes 30 minutes of your time for two weeks, and it will help you immensely in life, even as a sort of an introspection into your flawed 'knowledge'.

And the worst thing is, STATISTICS DON'T MATTER HERE. Most of the time I see this 'wher statiscs' mantra is when statistics play absolutely no part in the matter. People are frustrated. People feel the inconsistency. The proof for this inconsistency is IN THE GAME DESCRIPTION. The whole game revolves around it. People express their frustration, and want it remedied. You attack them, and act like condescending jerks, even though you're the stupid one spewing [edited]most of the time.

3. TrollFace ehehe

You are immature and malicious. I won't waste more time on addressing you, as maybe the stupidity is contagious. 

These forums are not filled with constant dissent because they are policed. Majority of the playerbase experiences frustration, and this is reflected in play patterns, buy patterns, and the expressed sentiment. This is a fact, and there is no point in arguing about it. A game like this would experience constant bombardment of anger from frustrated players, and the only reason there is no widespread 'rebellion' or protest is because wargaming is literally PAYING people to fight against it on WARAGAMING OWNED FORUMS. If the majority of the game discussion was to happen outside of the forums, you would see much more pronounced and effective protest against blatant rudeness and honestly just miserable conduct and practices by the company.

You are feeling the misery as well, and instead of demanding your frustration be remedied by adequate and timely changes, you allow Wargaming to pursue this model further by instead attacking others to feel better about yourself, or the time you wasted on this game. Yes, wasted, as you can't convince me you didn't stop having less and less fun over the years, playing only because you can't find any alternatives, or because you sank too much time into it. This game will die, and nobody is going to give you back the time you wasted on getting 279e, grinding your 3rd moe, or the money you spent on the EBR/Skorpion. Your brag rights will be gone, and your pride with it.

Wake up sheeple, don't be the kind of person you wouldn't want your children to be.

And if you're still green and inexperienced in the family department: your behavior is seen as undesirable by any and all potential partners. This kind of behavior is literally the reason you suffer in life. Be kind, be thoughtful, and be rational.

Honorable mentions for things that are annoying, but didn't make the top 3 hall of shame:

- Q: (I have lag, I'm from country X, anyone else?);
    guy with a deadpool avatar, from the other side of the continent: I DON'T HAVE LAG, EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH ME.

-Q: (Wheeled vehicles/Arty/something is OP, do you agree???)

guy with 30k total forum posts: GO WHINE IN THE PINNED THREAD (meaning: go away so i can pretend everything is fine)

-Q: (I have a balance idea, nerf the OP crap)

guy who hasn't played in 5 years: NO, THE GAME IS FINE AS IS

-Q: (I don't like where the game is going, what do?)

guy with 70k battles: YOU LIKED IT FOR YOUR 30k BATTLES, SO YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A LIAR

-Q: (I can't keep up with pace of the game, im not young anymore, and I can't aim at the EBR which is literally too fast for even the server to process adequately)

a 14 year old wannabe unicum: ADAPT OR DIE, THIS IS THE NEW AGE, YOU ARE JUST A STEVE IN HIS IS-7

I have no doubts, or qualms about the fact that this thread will be moved/closed/and forgotten. But I hope for those of you that read it, will at least be better off with the idea that you're not the only one seeing the cancer-inducing behavior present on the forums, and be encouraged to find a different medium to share your thoughts, and discuss your concerns.

I have nothing personal against the mods, as they are just doing their job. They are getting paid for it, so it's ok. If, dear mods, you are not, in fact, paid for this - then I pity you. You are the kind of people that help elect dictators, and then get executed first. I come from such a country, I know how it looks like IRL. And if you're from an ex-communist country or a currently authoritarian one, then shame on you, you are part of the problem.

[edited]. You. All.

Cheers.

Edited by OnTheVerge, 01 May 2020 - 04:07 PM.

mateyflip #2 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41008 battles

Wow! War and Peace on the forum.  Let me guess OP, you are not a happy bunny.

I still loves you! Hugz

Bless yer.

What what

Edited by mateyflip, 01 May 2020 - 03:26 PM.

Private_Miros #3 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28747 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

There are two kinds of issues with the game:

1. is game balance. New premium tanks are too good, old tanks, premium or not are power creeped. The meta is funnel/armour focussed, and a general rebalance of armour, gold ammo, and more open maps would be welcomed.

2. many players are frustrated because they are basically bad or average players. They are unable to accept that they simply aren't good enough to get great results all the time, and are frustrated because of that on any external cause that conveniently presents itself.

Number 1 should be fixed, obviously. Number 2 cannot be fixed by WG (unless they start rigging games to give average a win, and then a loss, and then a win, etc...). It is number 2 that still causes most of the ranting in general chat, the forums, and other mediums, in my opinion.

Stig_Stigma #4 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23277 battles
  • [DOCTR] DOCTR

View PostOnTheVerge, on 01 May 2020 - 03:18 PM, said:

Since it appears all the mods are either asleep or gone for the holiday today, let me share an honest opinion about the forums and its denizens:

You suck. You are inexcusably pathetic, to the point that I've never seen this level of cognitive dissonance before, and I'm by no means young or inexperienced when it comes to the internet.

The game is broken. It is the epitome of corporate greed run amok, where only short-term money matters, nothing else. The whole game model is one big dark pattern, and is designed as such.

Many players are obviously frustrated, and they complain, even making perfect sense half the time, instead of just randomly ranting and screaming into the cold air.

And you not only defend it fervently, even though you experience the same frustrations and designed shortcomings of this gambling experience, but you ATTACK those that dare defy the gospel.

A guy complains that his shots are dipping, they are frustrated - the game is not working as they were lead to believe. Some replies are helpful. Some are replies are sympathetic. But half of the replies are these:

2. WhEreArE the StaTistiCs

3. Did you forget your medicine today hehhe so funny

Pathetic. I don't post on the forums, and I don't complain, but I see it every day, and let me give an answer now that the mods/curators/censors of the union are gone:

There is no skill to speak of. Your 'skill' is the art of navigating through a chaotic environment and minimizing the RNG. Most of you didn't acquire it consciously (by learning), but intuitively (by bruteforcing enough games so you get the 'feel' for it). I know this because you can't explain your skill. The 'guides' and 'advice' you give betray a fundamental lack of insight into something that is a mix of muscle memory and basic pattern matching, and you're consciously unaware of what those patterns are. All of you like this are pathetic, as you are not 'skilled', but rather 'endowed', which is something you have no control over. If your skill is not translatable, then it is not a skill, but a quality, like a big nose, or blue eyes.

2. WhEreArE the StaTistiCs/GIVE PROOF/fRomWhAtSampLe???

You don't know anything about statistics. Most of you just echo what you've seen from the devs, and you just simply don't know what you're talking about. Take an online course, it takes 30 minutes of your time for two weeks, and it will help you immensely in life, even as a sort of an introspection into your flawed 'knowledge'.

And the worst thing is, STATISTICS DON'T MATTER HERE. Most of the time I see this 'wher statiscs' mantra is when statistics play absolutely no part in the matter. People are frustrated. People feel the inconsistency. The proof for this inconsistency is IN THE GAME DESCRIPTION. The whole game revolves around it. People express their frustration, and want it remedied. You attack them, and act like condescending jerks, even though you're the stupid one spewing [edited]most of the time.

3. TrollFace ehehe

You are immature and malicious. I won't waste more time on addressing you, as maybe the stupidity is contagious. 

These forums are not filled with constant dissent because they are policed. Majority of the playerbase experiences frustration, and this is reflected in play patterns, buy patterns, and the expressed sentiment. This is a fact, and there is no point in arguing about it. A game like this would experience constant bombardment of anger from frustrated players, and the only reason there is no widespread 'rebellion' or protest is because wargaming is literally PAYING people to fight against it on WARAGAMING OWNED FORUMS. If the majority of the game discussion was to happen outside of the forums, you would see much more pronounced and effective protest against blatant rudeness and honestly just miserable conduct and practices by the company.

You are feeling the misery as well, and instead of demanding your frustration be remedied by adequate and timely changes, you allow Wargaming to pursue this model further by instead attacking others to feel better about yourself, or the time you wasted on this game. Yes, wasted, as you can't convince me you didn't stop having less and less fun over the year, playing only because you can't find any alternatives, or because you sank too much time into it. This game will die, and nobody is going to give you back the time you wasted on getting 279e, grinding your 3rd moe, or the money you spent on the EBR/Skorpion. Your brag rights will be gone, and your pride with it.

Wake up sheeple, don't be the kind of person you wouldn't want your children to be.

And if you're still green and inexperienced in the family department: your behavior is seen as undesirable by any and all potential partners. This kind of behavior is literally the reason you suffer in life. Be kind, be thoughtful, and be rational.

Honorable mentions for things that are annoying, but didn't make the top 3 hall of shame:

guy with a deadpool avatar, from the other side of the continent: I DON'T HAVE LAG, EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH ME.

guy with 30k total forum posts: GO WHINE IN THE PINNED THREAD (meaning: go away so i can pretend everything is fine)

guy with 70k battles: YOU LIKED IT FOR YOUR 30k BATTLES, SO YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A LIAR

-Q: (I can't keep up with pace of the game, im not young anymore, and I can't aim at the EBR which is literally too fast for even the server to process adequately)

a 14 year old wannabe unicum: ADAPT OR DIE, THIS IS THE NEW AGE, YOU ARE JUST A STEVE IN HIS IS-7

I have no doubts, or qualms about the fact that this thread will be moved/closed/and forgotten. But I hope for those of you that read it, and will at least be better off with the idea that you're not the only one seeing the cancer-inducing behavior present on the forums, and be encouraged to find a different medium to share your thoughts, and discuss your concerns.

I have nothing personal against the mods, as they are just doing their job. They are getting paid for it, so it's ok. If, dear mods, you are not, in fact, paid for this - then I pity you. You are the kind of people that help elect dictators, and then get executed first. I come from such a country, I know how it looks like IRL. And if you're from an ex-communist country or a currently authoritarian one, then shame on you, you are part of the problem.

[edited]. You. All.

Cheers.

I liked your post even though I dont agree with the majoriy of what you said, just because you were able to write with arguments.

Fizzymagic #5 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 53661 battles
  • [-O-H-] -O-H-

:popcorn:

" I won't waste more time on addressing you"

Good, Trollface meme

Edited by Fizzymagic, 01 May 2020 - 03:46 PM.

wsatnutter #6 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27401 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

oh dear did you get out of bed the wrong side today here use this code for free prem       2020MAYCELEBRATION

btw it does no good to lob your toys out of the pram

edit      I love playing this game and meeting up for beers at tankfest each year and NO the mods are not paid in any way

Edited by wsatnutter, 01 May 2020 - 03:48 PM.

Miepie #7 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:48 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6130 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Since it is a friday afternoon, I will indulge you with my honest opinion on matters more important than a minor computer game:

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25337 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
Well, that's a right load of red and green mix stuff.:rolleyes:

The_Naa #9 Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11428 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Not all games are for everyone, which is why we have so many different games on different topics made differently. this game i like and i like where it is going. that is why i keep playing.

Slyspy #10 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15301 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

That is quite a long bait thread, but you missed one characteristic forum response to whining:

4: 9074.

Desyatnik_Pansy #11 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:20 PM

Bartender

• 19414 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

The funniest thing was, I actually was asleep when he made this thread. :teethhappy:

Let's just tackle some of the things here before this thread gets closed (probably by someone else as I go jump into Frontline). I've responded in bold, though I should highlight that in general I'd love to see links to these posts so I can y'know, actually see them for myself (heh, I'm doing that thing you mentioned about demanding proof). Oh, and I also realise it's harder to respond to me because it's in a quote, but I like this way:

View PostOnTheVerge, on 01 May 2020 - 03:18 PM, said:

1. Get good bro, luck is a skill - a decent portion of "git gud" is more of a joke than anything. I know on Discord with friends I will repeatedly jokingly tell them to get good after they post a screenshot of some unavoidable situation or whatever, but in that case it's absolutely just friendly banter. I don't think anyone really says "luck is a skill" and more, as you described it, that minimising the effects of RNG Is the "skill".

2. WhEreArE the StaTistiCs - depending on the topic, statistics can be pretty important. Aye it can be annoying to probably read but if you're making some absurd claim, you should have something to back it up rather than just "feeling". Every micropatch even someone will think a tank got stealthily nerfed, do you know how many different times someone has made a thread claiming something like the Skorp G For example has been nerfed to oblivion when nothing has changed with the tank? Or another good example, I got on today and my first few shots were all lowrolls, which means the game is rigged against me. Just saying, this is something a lot of us older forumites have seen and dealt with over years, if you're going to make a rant about MM, or x tank or whatever, we prefer that it's done in a concise manner with some proof of what you're claiming rather than what is often just a two sentence rant.

3. Did you forget your medicine today hehhe so funny - can I guess wsat said this? It sounds like a wsat thing to say. :teethhappy:

-so Balc0ra, since he's the fella with the deadpool avatar I'm most familiar with. You're most likely changing his words if it is him since Balc is usually a much more refined person with good answers, and more than likely would have said something such as "I have no lag nor are a great many reporting it, check pingplotter (or whatever it is) and try pinging the server, as the problem is usually an issue between a single player and is a hiccup on the path to the server rather than the WG Server itself.

-we have a pinned thread for these hot topics for a reason. Let me be frank and say that personally, I feel most topics end up the same, throwing stuff at each because likes y, while z dislikes y. Many of the topics are less actual discussions and more just a quick rant about something they dislike. It's not so much "let's pretend everything is fine" as it is that we don't want 5-10 Different rant threads on the first page, when all of it could be done and moderated easier in a single thread. Active forumites are used to this, so are probably going to point it out before the thread is closed.

-got nothing really on this one other than that I'd like to see the thread in question.

- if I'm honest, if a thread is >nothing< more than "I don't like where the game is going, what do", and isn't actually just some stealthy rant about some stuff then most of the replies are going to be genuinely helpful and all. Someone making a single post like this may just be deliberately trying to rile up the OP, I dunno, don't have the thread to go off of.

-not gonna lie, the last part feels like an EBR Rant sneakily put in there, but let's skip on. Like above, if the thread is more than just a rant, most of the answers will actually be helpful and whatnot, unless you can link me the thread to show otherwise. Unfortunately part of that is correct, since really the best thing anyone can really say is to adapt to the new game as a single (or a few threads) about the game becoming harder for you to play isn't going to go make WG Decide to revert the game back to an older state or something (as if WG Is going to balance something off of a thread on the EU Forums anyway :rolleyes:). In fact a good number of forumites are pretty actively helpful and offering to play with people who are struggling and whatnot.

Edited by Desyatnik_Pansy, 01 May 2020 - 04:21 PM.

LethalWalou #12 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35443 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA
And who are you OP? Should any of us care about you flipping us off. If you don't like the game, just go away. I like the game so I will stay here.

GodTank2 #13 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10805 battles
  • [BARRY] BARRY

View PostOnTheVerge, on 01 May 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

So do statistics matter or not?

Fizzymagic #14 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 53661 battles
  • [-O-H-] -O-H-

" I don't post on the forums, and I don't complain"

Wait, what?

Frostilicus #15 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:41 PM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23865 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View PostFizzymagic, on 01 May 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

" I don't post on the forums, and I don't complain"

Wait, what?

Certainly saved them all up for a hyooge unloading now :)

nikolaink123 #16 Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25620 battles
  • [GO-HA] GO-HA

malachi6 #17 Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51526 battles

The ad hominem used as a fact and a no true Scotsman defense of a position.  Valid and true points can be made without resorting to such devices, simply because they are valid and true.  

OnTheVerge #18 Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9130 battles

In reply to Desyatnik_Pansy

Desyatnik_Pansy said:

1. Get good bro, luck is a skill - a decent portion of "git gud" is more of a joke than anything. I know on Discord with friends I will repeatedly jokingly tell them to get good after they post a screenshot of some unavoidable situation or whatever, but in that case it's absolutely just friendly banter. I don't think anyone really says "luck is a skill" and more, as you described it, that minimising the effects of RNG Is the "skill".

I am not saying that minimizing RNG or everything else you said is not a skill. I am saying that the thing you describe as skill, is not a skill, as the persons that boast about it usually can't explain it, or help other players obtain it. So I call it a trait, and I consider people like that simply inadequate/unqualified to talk about their or other's skill.

Desyatnik_Pansy said:

2. 2. WhEreArE the StaTistiCs - depending on the topic, statistics can be pretty important. Aye it can be annoying to probably read but if you're making some absurd claim, you should have something to back it up rather than just "feeling". Every micropatch even someone will think a tank got stealthily nerfed, do you know how many different times someone has made a thread claiming something like the Skorp G For example has been nerfed to oblivion when nothing has changed with the tank? Or another good example, I got on today and my first few shots were all lowrolls, which means the game is rigged against me. Just saying, this is something a lot of us older forumites have seen and dealt with over years, if you're going to make a rant about MM, or x tank or whatever, we prefer that it's done in a concise manner with some proof of what you're claiming rather than what is often just a two sentence rant.

Like I previously said, in many of these threads the statistics are not in play whatsoever. The player is unhappy with the inconsistency, as they feel their tank which is supposed to be precise misses often. The game is very misleading, as when it claims that guns are 'precise', they don't hit often, they only hit more often than other guns.

About the rest: I was not ranting about the EBRs. I personally consider them broken, they are out of place in this game. Even in frontline, their speed and precision on the move is absurd. That said, I am going through the tree, and I have the preimum t8 EBR. The 'force field wheels' are not a myth - even though I am a dreadful light tank player, I survive things that no tank should be able to survive, especially an unarmored tank: standing in front of 6 players aiming at me and hitting me. When you're angling towards the opponent, your wheels absorb things like SU-130PM standard shells. In the game with RNG precision, server-side everything, and limited crosshair speed (eg, traverse, aim time, etc), wheeled vehicles are out of place. But that is just my personal opinion, which I did not state. I just noticed the pattern of people complaining about it, and a bunch of replies was: "the game is evolving, i changed with it, if you can't, stop playing." Which is an elitist attitude that doesn't contribute anything to anyone. Maybe the person that said that feels better about themselves?

The bottom line is: all games have problems, and thus every game has those that go on forums and complain. All of the forums or boards I've seen are nowhere near this level of animosity towards any complaint. Regardless of whether the devs read or listen to feedback, when something is wrong, people agree that it is wrong. Here it feels that whether you get advice (or at least sympathy), or get attacked, depends on the roster of online people at the time, and the attack is inevitable. Because of this animosity, all discussions eventually end in just angry shout matches. Most people that come here frustrated just want to vent. But some have generally great ideas, that get buried under mountains of useless attacks against them or anyone agreeing with them. 

The most consistent things I see on these forums is the animosity I described above, which is not fine. The second most consistent things are walrus avatars, and dingers banners in signatures, which are fine.

Even if WoT was the most balanced game, the one closest to perfection in all of its aspects, people would complain. But you don't deal with complaints by attacking people. On other forums, mods exist specifically to address that kind of behavior, not to stop whiners, which are inevitable and natural.

People whine and rant because they care. They are passionate, they have lots of emotions, which they want to express here.

Insulting people because of the way they feel about something and attacking them personally unprovoked is pathological behavior.

Edited by OnTheVerge, 01 May 2020 - 05:17 PM.

_Carpaccio_ #19 Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38936 battles

I dont want to be mean but what else should I say to this..

You say there is no skill because you truly dont have one and I dont care how many battles you have. If you are capable of writing entire essay filled only with bullS..edit, I wont hold myself.

You are pathetic noskill tomato just like the ones in gen chat crying about things they dont even understand every day. Yes I had more fun in the past, most in 2015-18, that doesnt change fact that game is still good. Has its issues, WG is sometimes bunch of .... but game is still good. 

We dont know anything about statistics? Maybe its your brain filled with crayons you have been eating that cannon understand statistics. 

View PostOnTheVerge, on 01 May 2020 - 02:18 PM, said:

If I ever had children, I would not want them to be as stupid and obviously braindamaged like you are. And should they one day come with something as stupid as you said/wrote, I would be willing to spend all the time in the world to knock that edit out of their heads. 

speedphlux #20 Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:32 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51013 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR
Two words for you OP - Anger Management. You need it, badly. I feel a great deal of jaw-clenching going on while you were writing this post. No bueno !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users