Should I spend more time and effort?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I spend more time and effort (26 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Are we becoming a selfish society?

1. Yes (17 votes [58.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.62%

2. No (12 votes [41.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

Vote Hide poll

sid257 #1 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 46717 battles
  • [SYFY] SYFY
Having spent a lot of money and time on this game and by and large I have enjoyed it.  Should I be surprised by the inherent ability of players to be toxic and complain that they get nothing for no effort? In essence are we becoming a selfish society?

Edited by sid257, 02 May 2020 - 12:36 AM.

VsUK #2 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:45 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles

View Postsid257, on 01 May 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

Having spent a lot of money and time on this game and by and large I have enjoyed it.  Should I be surprised by the inherent ability of players to be toxic and complain that they get nothing for no effort? In essence are we becoming a selfish society?

I think some people believe they should entitled to an easier win & be put up against easier enemy because they pump money into the game. The sort of people who spend £100+ on gold to convert exp so they can skip tiers 1-8 tanks of a newly introduced tank tree or nation just to get the tiers 9 & 10 asap. Which defeats the whole point of earning via natural progression. 

You will see people from all sides moan about things. People who want a fair & balanced game will moan about the ability to use premium ammo to gain an advantage. And wallet warriors who will tell everyone who doesn't like premium ammo to learn to aim. Which is ironic, because the very point of premium ammo is that you no longer have to aim for weak spots, you just point & click. 

Sir__Alonne #3 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25092 battles

View Postsid257, on 02 May 2020 - 12:35 AM, said:

Should I be surprised by the inherent ability of players to be toxic?

Why should you be surprised about the toxicity of the playerbase? There are many elements which contribute to the negative attitude of some players (spgs,ebrs,one sided games 15-3,3-15,etc).

kaneloon #4 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:55 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33044 battles

Yeah, this game is frustrating and every player thinks that his team mates are wrecking its games. But is it selfishness ? Or childishness ?

And is there a link with spending money ? I didn't think of this, interesting.

Imho the more you spend the more you are supposed to be happy with the game, due to the Stockolm syndrom :)

WindSplitter1 #5 Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:22 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21384 battles
  • [WINDY] WINDY
I voted "no" but I meant to say "yes". My bad for skim reading. :(

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 36967 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Money has nothing to do with it. Toxic players are toxic and will continue to find a reason to be toxic regardless. 

Head_has_Exploded #7 Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 645 battles
The game is designed to be toxic, it has stats for everyone to see for a start, that breeds contempt, that leads to hatred, in the end if the two protagonists ever met that would lead to murder,the will for other to force others out of the game is so strong it is nothing short of cyber bullying,abit like the Jeremy Kyle show for gamers,and just like that show, the evil addiction that this game becomes makes ones life worthless, and it is all designed to be just that way.

wsatnutter #8 Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27414 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostHead_has_Exploded, on 02 May 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

The game is designed to be toxic, it has stats for everyone to see for a start, that breeds contempt, that leads to hatred, in the end if the two protagonists ever met that would lead to murder,the will for other to force others out of the game is so strong it is nothing short of cyber bullying,abit like the Jeremy Kyle show for gamers,and just like that show, the evil addiction that this game becomes makes ones life worthless, and it is all designed to be just that way.

Sorry your wrong and you need to get out more 

alemolino55 #9 Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24418 battles
  • [CIDA] CIDA

I really think that many players just need to get a real life out of here, finding real friends and stuff like this..  The supposed game toxicity its just one of several outcomes of their lives. That's it.

Regards 

sid257 #10 Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 46717 battles
  • [SYFY] SYFY

Thanks to all for non ranting replies but considered opinions.  It restores my faith in human nature that people can hold an opinion and still talk/discuss without resorting to toxicity. 

over the years I have spent a fair amount on this game and I admit I skipped some tiers and my gaming experience suffered for it as I was continually clubbed until I understood the mechanics of the new tank and gameplay.  I do not believe I am a fantastic player but I can hold my own.  I prefer team play than randoms as this appeals to my wish to feel included and the social aspect on discord/ts.

I continuously read rants about “gold noobs”, “wallet warriors” and “pay pigs” and overpowered vehicles.  Personally I do not feel that the issues are with these but with individuals wish that they had one of these vehicles.  This is why I ask if we are becoming selfish and not willing to work to achieve.  Please continue with considered responses and not toxic rants please.

regards

sid

Indy_Bones #11 Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36893 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

I'd suggest that there are several key reasons for toxicity, and whilst other players expenditure can on occasion cause a small amount of this, it's certainly not one of the primary factors IMHO, and I'd argue the main ones are these:

1) The natural clash between players who actively want to win and those who don't care about the result as long as they had fun playing regardless.

2) The frustration felt when seeing players who have made ZERO effort to ever improve beyond a basic knowledge of WASD and the left mouse button, especially when said player makes comments like "Noob team" or similar despite having made stupid decisions, done virtually no damage, and been one of the primary contributions as to why the team may have lost (or be losing).

3) The inability or unwillingness of players to accept their own mistakes rather than blaming others, as well as a gross misunderstanding of their ability at the game (Classic Dunning-Kruger behaviour)

4) Broken or overpowered vehicles which leave players feeling frustrated or angry whenever they have to try to deal with them, especially if bottom vs top tier

5) Premium ammo & HE invalidating armour on a large number of tanks leaving players wondering why they even bother to pick something with armour if all the enemy has to do is change ammo type to a more expensive version to mitigate it.

6) Restrictive maps and corridor meta which frequently forces brawling situations whilst often leaving little to no room for flanking. It's all well and good saying you just need to get behind or into the side of well-armoured tanks, but if the map gives you no opportunity to do it, it's forcing a head-to-head engagement, which then ties in with the premium ammo complaints.

7) SPG's (I don't need to expand on this)

8) Unbalanced matchmaking, either through tank composition, player skill levels or bottom tier frequency. Spending half your time as bottom tier is frustrating, getting T110E5's and ST-II's whilst the enemy have Chieftains and 279e's makes it even more frustrating, then finding out that the 3 enemy top heavies are platooned and all unicum players, whilst you get 3 guys with 500 average damage a game and win rates even a bot would be ashamed of is even more frustrating, then repeating this situation several games in a row - RAGE ALERT, toxicity incoming...

9) Map Rotation which often seems to keep throwing you on the same maps consistently, and frequently giving you the exact opposite of what suits your tank. Trying to play a light and do a spotting mission - have some Himmelsdorf and Minsk for your troubles, want to play a superheavy and close combat brawl? - have some Prokhorovka and Malinovka, want to play an SPG? - here comes Paris and Empire's Border or Ensk. Had 4-5 'city' maps in a row? Switch to a light - back on Himmelsdorf....

10) Some people are just naturally toxic and aggressive, the game is almost irrelevant, they're going to be toxic regardless.

G01ngToxicCommand0 #12 Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37465 battles

If you have to ask you already know the answer.

08:57 Added after 0 minute

View Postwsatnutter, on 02 May 2020 - 06:36 AM, said:

Sorry your wrong and you need to get out more 

How?

pihip #13 Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:09 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17341 battles

We've always been selfish, it's human nature to be so.

In the context of this game, some players are selfish because they think the game revolves around them and are too self-centered to understand this is a multiplayer team-based videogame. Others are selfish because they demand to have more than others, often for little to no effort. Others still are selfish because they think only they have a right to get good rewards out of something, from random battles to clan wars.

There could be more to be said, but I think it's up to the individual to make peace with themselves and admit if they are selfish or not.

Erwin_Von_Braun #14 Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:37 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45762 battles

Voted both because I could.

arthurwellsley #15 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55943 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

This is a deep philosophical argument about the nature of humanity that has been raging for centuries, and the fact that it is now referred to in on line gaming is nothing new.

In 1659 Thomas Hobbes wrote of his fellow humans that their lives were "solitary, poore, nasty brutish, and short." In their natural condition without a government to ameliorate their worst tendencies. Hobbes essentially argued that all humans are savagely self centred, and it is only in a rules based system that salvation can be had.

A century or so later Rousseau wrote that human nature is essentially good, and that we could have lived peaceful and happy lives well before the development of anything approaching a government or external rules. Rosseau argued that humans were born good and that they are instinctively concerned with the welfare of others.

The arguments have raged ever since and more latterly the psychologists have been devising tests to subject humans to in an attempt to answer the conundrum posed and argued over by philosophers.

So your question " In essence are we becoming a selfish society?" was first asked in 1659, and has never been definitively answered although many men and women far clever than I have attempted to do so.

Claus_KeIIerman #16 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 27147 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The invention of, 'Participation Medals', and something-for-nothing, was the death knell.

shikaka9 #17 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 78462 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
 :popcorn:

Edited by shikaka9, 02 May 2020 - 11:44 AM.

Private_Miros #18 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28861 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Simple self-reflection and getting more enjoyment out of a game about shooting tanks by shooting more tanks shouldn't be an effort.

Here's a step guide to gitting gud:

Step 1: realize you make mistakes that influence your chances of winning or at least those of shooting the enemy more and longer in a negative way.

Edited by Private_Miros, 02 May 2020 - 11:46 AM.

Vtsuk #19 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13485 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA

You shouldn't spend time and effort in this game, you should spend cash!

That's what it's developed for, not for "time and effort", those things mean nothing to WG!

mpf1959 #20 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36480 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

vote = no

There is no "becoming" about it, history will soon inform even the casual peruser, that selfishness/ self-interest is as old as the sky! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users