What do you do if almost all of your team is going to the same flank?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Hodor_warrior #1 Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9928 battles

And you are on the wrong side. Do you want to be the hero who stops the onslaught, or run away?

It happens to me now and then. Surprisingly often in tier IX/X matches. I understand it can work, but most of the time it results in a loss, because the attacking flank loses momentum.

wsatnutter #2 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27401 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
look on the map where to relocate and then farm damage and hope the train does not come to a halt because a scout show up. but trust me they will come to a halt and start  going baa baa baa

shikaka9 #3 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:02 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 78403 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

You do this: all bad words you know in a chat and gj WG in the end

:great:

UrQuan #4 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22389 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Generally; run away & see if you can set up shop somewhere with a view on the cap circle. Or join the group on the other side if you got a fast tank & see if you can help keep the momentum up

Don't stay & fight, it generally ends up bad. No tank can survive or even make a dent against superior numbers if he has no support.

Holding a flank while vastly outnumbered needs good support, the right tank & the right position & even then it can get really troublesome if the enemy is willing to take the damage. Hence generally ill-advised to hold a flank while vastly outnumbered, usually better to relocate to a nice spot with more support/tanks.

Edited by UrQuan, 02 May 2020 - 11:06 AM.

NekoPuffer_PPP #5 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 36600 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Curse them all and ragequit.

Or join them...a successful lemmingtrain can cap the enemy base in the first 3-4 minutes of the battle.

Alternatively, watch over your base, defend it while the rest of your team plows through to the enemy's base.

If they ain't plowin', y'all ain't winnin', that's the gist of it.*

*translation - a lemmingtrain which stops is not a lemmingtrain, it's fish in a barrel**

**translation translation - an unsuccessful attack results with the group being surrounded and slaughtered

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 02 May 2020 - 11:11 AM.

Grifboy #6 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8479 battles
  • [BOF] BOF
Depends what your driving but generally going with the lemming train is better than trying to hold the empty flank by yourself where you will usually be overrun by the enemy team doing the exact same thing in the other direction. If you go with the group you can try to encourage them to push all the way through and take the flank rather than getting stuck half way round when one red shoots back. Worst case you can usually get some damage in before you lose your base which is better than nothing.

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55915 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

1. Look at the lineups during the 30 second count down and try and work out who will go where.

2. Watch your own team as they leave the spawn. Never get isolated.

3. Watch to see if your own light tanks light the enemy as they are moving to see if there is an over match on one flank.

4. Make a decision, either (a) go to the over match flank and become one with the lemming train, or (b) if your own team has sufficient TDs in good defensive positions sit safely ahead of them so that you light the enemy coming down the flank you are guarding while not exposing yourself initially and let your allied TDs farm damage. Once that initial push has been blunted by your allied TDs then you can farm whatever is left on low HP.

5. Never over extend.

Private_Miros #8 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28768 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Join them and push if you are fast enough to be able to relocate to defend base.

If you are too slow, try to be in render range of the enemies that the lemmings will spot, so you can at least snipe, but try to take a position that oversees your base (or other flank).

Teams are at their most vulnerable when they just won a flank. Most players cannot advance safely and will expose themselves to be simply farmed. This counts double when they didn't yet kill any allies on the won flank.

One this is key though, and that's maintaining vision control. The moment you give that to the enemy by all huddling together in a valley or behind trees, it's you that will be farmed.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #9 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:17 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 36967 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Don't continue and try to fight alone, you'll just die. Fall back to a defensible point and delay.

Hodor_warrior #10 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9928 battles
OK, thanks. for the comments. You are very consentient. 

mpf1959 #11 Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36361 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

What do you do if almost all of your team is going to the same flank?

Go with them, I soon learned that. At least I might get some damage done then, martyrdom is a worthless commodity in life, and especially in WOT!

oBmg #12 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3185 battles
  • [-SOC-] -SOC-

This is worst scenario,more frustrating than any other defeat.
If you follow the heard,you die with all of you been slaughtered on the side of map they chosed to go.If you oppose and go alone to cover other flank you die by been overrun ,often before the heard.,and you watch heard slaughter as spectator.
Appeal to heard is uselles,if they all go on one side there is already no brain that cann understand your appeal.

Edited by oBmg, 02 May 2020 - 12:08 PM.

antwerp_fighter #13 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 59092 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Yolo on the other flank,

and normally it ends up quite badly.

but have to say: dying early in that kind of battle is a reward...for saving your time.

Balc0ra #14 Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77209 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostHodor_warrior, on 02 May 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

And you are on the wrong side. Do you want to be the hero who stops the onslaught, or run away?

It happens to me now and then. Surprisingly often in tier IX/X matches. I understand it can work, but most of the time it results in a loss, because the attacking flank loses momentum.

Depends. As you can get lucky, and the enemy takes a bit to notice that you are not that many on your side. And play defensive for a bit. But if you have a good scout or good support on the right map. There is always a small chance of stalling long enough for them to get flanked vs even more guns. And I usually take it, by not overdoing it. If I see a push coming, or bad trades are done. I fall back to a spot where I can run again if they push base. And then you have two options. Stall the capping for as long as you can. Or push and help the lemmings get done faster.

The last one surprisingly did help on Overlord last night in a tier 7 to 8 game with 11 guns on the beach. I was in my Swedish Leo with 2 arty as support and a CDA 105 behind me, spotting the middle targets as best as I could. Then they started to get brave on the 0 lane, and me and the CDA legged it as they had 6 guns pushing it, plus 2 HTs coming on the middle lane. Stalled them on the ridge near out base and got their HP a down a bit, and ran again to our beach lemmings. It only worked as most of the high ground targets did follow us down vs capping getting flanked by more guns as they came down, as our beach fail did notice and turned their guns around.  Giving us time to go around up the 2nd road and de-cap base as only 1 did stay in it.

But that was one game, the other 9 times before it, it failed badly. But for that 1 game here and there it will work. I'll still take the chance on it being that one time again, vs giving up instantly.

StronkiTonki #15 Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 35688 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

If your team are being lemmings, and you are on the opposite side of the lemmings, it's your own fault for not looking at the map at the start.

From the very beginning, you can see which way your team is going. So while you're driving east, and all of your team is heading west, you still have the chance to turn around and join them.

It's generally best to join the lemmings, and either push with them, or defend the rear of the lemming train.

Going alone is generally considered suicide in my book. Of course, it CAN happen that the enemy team might not have a lot of tanks on that flank either, and you might be able to take a flank all on your own. But that is very unlikely and not worth the risk.

In the end, if you go alone, the chance is very high that you will just get killed. And you'll basically throw away a tank on your team, giving the enemy an advantage, and giving them a bigger chance to win.

tank276 #16 Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 56279 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostStronkiTonki, on 02 May 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

If your team are being lemmings, and you are on the opposite side of the lemmings, it's your own fault for not looking at the map at the start.

From the very beginning, you can see which way your team is going. So while you're driving east, and all of your team is heading west, you still have the chance to turn around and join them.

It's generally best to join the lemmings, and either push with them, or defend the rear of the lemming train.

Going alone is generally considered suicide in my book. Of course, it CAN happen that the enemy team might not have a lot of tanks on that flank either, and you might be able to take a flank all on your own. But that is very unlikely and not worth the risk.

In the end, if you go alone, the chance is very high that you will just get killed. And you'll basically throw away a tank on your team, giving the enemy an advantage, and giving them a bigger chance to win.

Excellent in all.

fwhaatpiraat #17 Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

Major

• Player
  • 63331 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostStronkiTonki, on 02 May 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

This is good advice. Although it's general advice, and each battle will have different circumstances.

OP, if you have replays of battles that had such lemming trains, it's better to share the replay and ask for advice.

kaneloon #18 Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:46 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33019 battles

There is no definitive answer, it really depends of which tank you drive, top tiers or not, arty or not.

If you are in an IS7 top tiers you can even do this :

http://wotreplays.eu...n-kaneloon-is-7

But I knew my team was behind.

The first UDES 16 on the other side : bad idea to stay alone with no support.

24doom24 #19 Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9466 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

Just join them.

You will die miserably trying to defend a flank on your own. Just stay alive as along as possible is all you can do when your team goes full idiot mode. 

ZlatanArKung #20 Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:27 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View PostHodor_warrior, on 02 May 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

Go there and crush the enemies on that flank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users