What's the idea behind not having all the premium tanks in the shop?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Tom_Deekanarry #1 Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17365 battles

I am waiting for the Cent 5/1 to reappear in the shop so we can play a full platoon with my mates.

I'm trying to figure out the benefit of not just having the premiums available all the time so that players like myself can buy a tank on a whim, as by the time the tank becomes available I could well have lost interest.

Seems financially inept to me?

wsatnutter #2 Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27425 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
nope they want to tempt you into buying other tanks whilst you wait

Tom_Deekanarry #3 Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17365 battles
It's not working.

Indy_Bones #4 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36959 battles
  • [WHO] WHO
Maybe not for you, but it clearly is for others.

smokeytheband1t #5 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11027 battles

Step 1 : create artificial scarcity

Step 2 : Hype it up and allude to said product being rare (and it's never coming back .. really .. . .. . .. :facepalm:)  and create FOMO 

Step 3 : watch money roll in

Edited by smokeytheband1t, 03 May 2020 - 11:05 AM.

Slyspy #6 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15327 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Artificial scarcity. 

_KotWortBraun_ #7 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8924 battles

Gets even better when ur fanboy'ing sabaton a bit because metal thats why, and every time the tank goes on sale u are either taking a break from the game or got no money :D

tbh. wouldnt hurt WG to put all prem. tanks on sale for like 1 week because of the 10th anniversary...but then again..its wg doing wg things :P

Sixter2000 #8 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2416 battles
I wish they had at least a slightly bigger selection in the gold shop. I like premiums and am sitting on some gold but I see no reason to buy anything from the shop. I will probably end up spending the gold on renewing the premium time in 10 months time.

Pansenmann #9 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38101 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMoerf91, on 03 May 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Gets even better when ur fanboy'ing sabaton a bit because metal thats why, and every time the tank goes on sale u are either taking a break from the game or got no money :D

tbh. wouldnt hurt WG to put all prem. tanks on sale for like 1 week because of the 10th anniversary...but then again..its wg doing wg things :P

this is how the shop looks for me
at the moment. (nice baiting to be honest)

Spoiler

SoupFork #10 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17358 battles

FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is a powerful marketing tool. By pretending a tank is "RARE" and only seeling it a few times a year, you artificially increase demand for it. People see it on sale and might buy it even if they weren't planning on it, because they fear they might miss out on getting it. A tank that is always available in the tech tree, you look at it and think "do I really NEED this?" and you can objectively say "No."

Plus,if all tanks were available all the time, people would find out far too quickly that no amount of premium tanks can combat the tragically unbalanced gameplay and would quit playing.

Now, they can still dream that maybe if, someday, they got that rare premium, their WN8 would improve, games wouldn't be 15-3 in 4 minutes and they would always have enough credits.

And there's the "substituted spending" principle, where people "mentally" set aside money for an in-game purchase, but when they can't make that planned purchase within a certain time frame, they are very likely to spend that set amount on other in-game items. Then, if the item they originally wanted becomes available, they are extremely likely to send money again to get it anyway, because they now feel extra bad for missing out. So WG erans double.

_KotWortBraun_ #11 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8924 battles

View PostPansenmann, on 03 May 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

this is how the shop looks for me
at the moment. (nice baiting to be honest)

Mine too^^ Its nice that the twitch coupons stay that long, but waiting for twitch coupons is nearly the same as waiting for specific tanks in the shop :D But who am i to pretend having better buisness plans than a company^^

cracktrackflak #12 Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15310 battles
  • [ARRSE] ARRSE

View PostSoupFork, on 03 May 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is a powerful marketing tool. By pretending a tank is "RARE" and only seeling it a few times a year, you artificially increase demand for it. People see it on sale and might buy it even if they weren't planning on it, because they fear they might miss out on getting it. A tank that is always available in the tech tree, you look at it and think "do I really NEED this?" and you can objectively say "No."

Plus,if all tanks were available all the time, people would find out far too quickly that no amount of premium tanks can combat the tragically unbalanced gameplay and would quit playing.

Now, they can still dream that maybe if, someday, they got that rare premium, their WN8 would improve, games wouldn't be 15-3 in 4 minutes and they would always have enough credits.

And there's the "substituted spending" principle, where people "mentally" set aside money for an in-game purchase, but when they can't make that planned purchase within a certain time frame, they are very likely to spend that set amount on other in-game items. Then, if the item they originally wanted becomes available, they are extremely likely to send money again to get it anyway, because they now feel extra bad for missing out. So WG erans double.

There is also the added factor that, with any WG game, you never know which UP Premium will suddenly become OP, or vice versa. All you can count on is buying whichever one is OP at the moment, and hoping you get some use out of it before the meta changes.

Balc0ra #13 Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77299 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTom_Deekanarry, on 03 May 2020 - 10:54 AM, said:

It's not working.

For you maybe, but for others it works as it should.

You can look at it two ways why it's financially not a bad idea. As WG is a company first after all.  Hype and rare factor are more of a seller than a "common" stamp. But also Germany has 4 tier 8 premium meds. Different styles sure, but you think they would all sell equally well if they were available all the time? Do you think people would get the Panther 88 if the others were available too for gold or in the store all the time? Or for the UK. I doubt the FV would be a common sight vs the Cent 5/1 if that was a more permanent option. Then some premiums would never be sold vs others. Vs if you rotate some of it. Thus the old product will still be bought, and chances are that some will buy both over time, vs just the one ever.

Truntea #14 Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1440 battles

View PostTom_Deekanarry, on 03 May 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

I am waiting for the Cent 5/1 to reappear in the shop so we can play a full platoon with my mates.

I'm trying to figure out the benefit of not just having the premiums available all the time so that players like myself can buy a tank on a whim, as by the time the tank becomes available I could well have lost interest.

Seems financially inept to me?

Mainly because they hand out too much gold to clan players, which means that they would lose too much profit if all tanks was sold for gold.

Inappropriate_noob #15 Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 18609 battles

View PostSoupFork, on 03 May 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

On this very principle which you are absolutely right to point out, I equate WG the same as drug dealers, for this game is addictive in all the wrong ways.

Bulldog_Drummond #16 Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35829 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I remember as a kid in the 1960s we would collect the cards that came in bubble gum packs.  There were always one or two that were incredibly rare

Later 'Magic' the CCG used the same bait

For a good laugh read the story of the McDonalds Monopoly Competition scam:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/arts/television/mcmillions-hbo-explained.html

pihip #17 Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17342 battles
Their not so subtle plan is to leave the dull stuff in the shop as fixed features - tanks that by now everyone has (e.g. Lowe) or that no one wants because by now they underperform.

Everything else gets what I call the "rare drop" treatment - they go on sale every now and then for cash, and the offer lasts a few days, and there is absolutely no guarantee that this or that will be sold again, or when.

Bulldog_Drummond #18 Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35829 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View Postfor_Nooblord, on 03 May 2020 - 05:35 PM, said:

Their not so subtle plan is to leave the dull stuff in the shop as fixed features - tanks that by now everyone has (e.g. Lowe) or that no one wants because by now they underperform.

Everything else gets what I call the "rare drop" treatment - they go on sale every now and then for cash, and the offer lasts a few days, and there is absolutely no guarantee that this or that will be sold again, or when.

This has been the case for many years now.

Ragoutrabbit #19 Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11658 battles
Because many are blatantly overpowered, probably don't remember when the Type 59 first released and there was 8-9 on each team every game.

Edited by Ragoutrabbit, 03 May 2020 - 08:07 PM.

VsUK #20 Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles
Because they want you to think it's a must have when they introduce it to loot boxes or some other promotional offer to entice you to spend money. 

If you need it, then buy one, but buying for the sake of having is a symptom of a more serious problem. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users